Watch out!!! These foods apparently cause cancer....................

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    "According to Wikipedia" ... is as far as I got.

This is what I was going to say.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    The only one in there that I will actually give them is alcohol – although their description makes no sense and is a giant contradiction.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Do potato chips actually have trans fats anymore?

That was my thought too. And regular potato chips don't have artifical flavorings, preservatives (other than salt), and colors. Flavored chips may, but not potato chips.

Potato chips typically have 3 ingredients.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Pickled foods? I've always read that pickled foods are good for your gut. A healthy gut = healthy immune system.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Well, that list doesn't leave much.
  • Bukeelaka
    Options
    Athos282 wrote: »
    As far as I know, everything causes cancer, so I tend not to get worked up about these kinds of things.

rvdhxfvows74.jpg

This is golden!
  • KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    The last "it gives you cancer" thing I actually read was drinking water from the hose outside.

Whoever wrote that article has never lived through a SE Texas summer, and afterwards I quit reading these stupid things.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Just cooking a food can add carcinogens. Some of this stuff is a little alarmist.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    The last "it gives you cancer" thing I actually read was drinking water from the hose outside.

Whoever wrote that article has never lived through a SE Texas summer, and afterwards I quit reading these stupid things.

Drinking from a hose during a SE TX summer is SO dangerous! You could scald your lips and tongue doing that!
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Actually the microwave popcorn -- specifically the buttered kind -- and the BPA's in canned food is true.

The pickled one is laughable as fermented foods are great for feeding your gut bacteria.
  • Alairissa
    Alairissa Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Did you know that 100% of people who drink water die!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    "It’s probably not something you think about every day, whether or not the foods you are eating could contain carcinogens, but with almost 1.5 million people diagnosed with some type of cancer just last year, perhaps it’s time to look at what is in our foods that could be causing such a huge number of new cancer patients. Here is a list of the top 10 foods that you most likely consume every day that may contain carcinogens or be suspected of causing cancer"

Why do they publish such rubish when there is no facts around the claim? Its either "could" or "possibly" or "maybe" cause this or that. I might as well live in a plastic bubble my whole life on Mars!
    It's like the "Lotto". Suggestive selling makes money for the organization. It's about the dollas.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    What doesn't cause cancer?
    Twerking.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    I try to avoid most of these things. I think there's some merit to them not being great for you - especially nitrates and smoking meats. I actively attempt to avoid GMOs and hormones. I'm not perfect, but I feel good about reducing my intake of all items on this list (except Alcohol - you can't make me give up the *maybe* 10 glasses of wine I have a year!!)
    -
    I'm not trolling, either. I think everyone should do their research and decide what's right for them
    Real "research" would be peer reviewed. Unfortunately, lots of information isn't. Many "studies" are biased and cherry pick certain facts to make whatever agenda they aim for more legit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    People used to die young from horrible diseases like septic shock, diabetes, catastrophic blood loss, dysentery, pneumonia, and organ failure.

Now we die old from cancer and heart disease. It's not a dietary issue; it's a longevity side-effect.
  • richardositosanchez
    richardositosanchez Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Jeez! Everything supposedly causes Cancer these days, or so they claim often. Whenever a new product comes out, "Beware! It causes Cancer!". They said that about microwave ovens and cell phones before. Silly silly!
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I read that oxygen now gives you cancer. I guess we're all done for.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Probably the air we breathe and the water we drink as well.

And this is only tongue in cheek. It could be all of the above causing cancer in some people. And, where is the $$$$ in curing cancer. No incentive for big pharm, hospitals, clinics, research grants continuing.

P.S. my husband is one of the 1.5 million diagnosed in the past year.
  • darlenegrace999
    darlenegrace999 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Lets add a few, breathing air, walking thru automatic doors, cell phone use, prescribed medications........the list goes on!
  • MizzMaldy
    MizzMaldy Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Exactly!