Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    Idk if butter tastes bad........I've Never tried it

It doesn't. I promise.
    I'm gonna trust you ;) I looked online and its not sold at the store I usually go to but its sold at marsh, so I will make a trip to marsh.

Do this.

Take three bowls. Buy a good butter, kerrygold ain't bad. Plugra ain't bad, but I'm rather partial to those hippy amish folks and their rolled butter.

Let the butter raise to room temperature. In each bowl place 1-2T of butter.
    Bowl one - plain.
    Bowl two - add salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
    Bowl three - add a dollop of honey

Mix them all in order to incorporate, or to just break it down into a smooth spreadable mass. Do it as a vertical tasting, starting at plain, ending at sweet. Use a nice baguette.

Treat yo'self!

Do you have a brand that these hippy Amish folk make? I don't know that I've seen anything and I live in Amish and Mennonite territory.

Ignore the price here, look for the product package. This is how we get it, but it comes from a local mennonite community. It's a somewhat common thing it seems.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

It doesn't. I promise.
    I'm gonna trust you ;) I looked online and its not sold at the store I usually go to but its sold at marsh, so I will make a trip to marsh.

Do this.

Take three bowls. Buy a good butter, kerrygold ain't bad. Plugra ain't bad, but I'm rather partial to those hippy amish folks and their rolled butter.

Bowl one - plain.

Mix them all in order to incorporate, or to just break it down into a smooth spreadable mass. Do it as a vertical tasting, starting at plain, ending at sweet. Use a nice baguette.

Treat yo'self!

Do you have a brand that these hippy Amish folk make? I don't know that I've seen anything and I live in Amish and Mennonite territory.

Ignore the price here, look for the product package. This is how we get it, but it comes from a local mennonite community. It's a somewhat common thing it seems.

I'm not worried about price, I just don't know what the package would/should say or look like. I guess Whole Foods should have it.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

It doesn't. I promise.

Do this.

Bowl one - plain.

Treat yo'self!

Ohh, I'm going to do this.

I don't think I have access to Amish butter.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Butter and whole milk = happy, satiated me
  • dbmata
    Options

It doesn't. I promise.

Do this.

Bowl one - plain.

Treat yo'self!

I'm not worried about price, I just don't know what the package would/should say or look like. I guess Whole Foods should have it.

Oh I mean the full derp price of $27.50 for the pound from that amazon listing. They run about $7-8 a two pound pack here in the outer rim territories. I would assume Whole paycheck should have it.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

It doesn't. I promise.

Do this.

Bowl one - plain.

Treat yo'self!

Oh I mean the full derp price of $27.50 for the pound from that amazon listing. They run about $7-8 a two pound pack here in the outer rim territories. I would assume Whole paycheck should have it.

Wowsa, that's a lot of money for a pound. Jesus. I could drive to Amish territory and still not use enough gas to hit $27. LOL.

Butter_Amish_Rolled_Large.JPG

Correct?
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    Is Kerrygold sold at mainstream US supermarkets? Or do you have to go to a specialty grocery store?

I buy mine at Wal-Mart supercenter.
  • dbmata
    Options

It doesn't. I promise.

Do this.

Bowl one - plain.

Treat yo'self!

Wowsa, that's a lot of money for a pound. Jesus. I could drive to Amish territory and still not use enough gas to hit $27. LOL.

Butter_Amish_Rolled_Large.JPG

Correct?

Something like dat, yeah. The one here isn't see through, but that's the basic product.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Nope, I said I don't like eating things that taste bad, sooooo if I try it and it tastes bad TO ME then I'll be eating something that........tastes bad. Which is why I haven't tried it before.

Too bad you don't live in Wisconsin. By law, restaurants and food service have to serve butter. They can have margarine or other non-butter spreads available for customer requests. Just go and eat out and you will have a chance to taste real butter.

Trust me, there is no comparison.
    I used to travel to Wisconsin for work for two months every summer. I miss the dairy and cheese aisles in Woodman's. They're the stuff of dreams.

Yeah, we keep the best for ourselves. Most of the national brands made in Wisconsin are decent, but the best dairy and especially cheese stays local.

• goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Mmmm. Butter.

I'm actually going to try my hand at making my own.

Not worth it.

If you're going to do it though, take the cream, add 1/2t of aroma B thermo bacteria, and let it sour a little, then make the butter.

butter is one of those things, nice to try to make once, but seriously... unless you live on a dairy and need to preserve your milk, just buy it.

I plan on using raw milk so I don't need to add bacteria to it. And it is kind of one of those things that I want to try once.

no reason to trust me, but trust me, add the aroma b.

I've done it, the only product worth eating was the stuff I inoculated first.

I will mark that one down.

It's hokey, I know but I figure since I make my own yogurt and cottage cheese why not try butter?

• dbmata
    Options
    if you like the tang of your yogurt culture, you can toss that in instead of the aroma b. I just prefer the lighter tang and slightly more creaminess from the aroma b thermo bacteria.

You would need to raise the temp of the cream to 90F and hold for a few hours, so I might actually do a start for that with something I pasteurized myself.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Never seen or tried Kerrygold, at least to my knowledge. I will make sure to try it if I can.

Butter all the way. There's always a stick of it on my counter, and they don't last long.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    if you like the tang of your yogurt culture, you can toss that in instead of the aroma b. I just prefer the lighter tang and slightly more creaminess from the aroma b thermo bacteria.

You would need to raise the temp of the cream to 90F and hold for a few hours, so I might actually do a start for that with something I pasteurized myself.

Wow. Sounds like you've done some trial and error with this.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Mmmm. Butter.

I would personally stick with cows milk - but good luck to ya!

Wow. I am totally blonde. Took me a while to get this. . . .

;)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a sad margarine spread household because butter was an evil killer- didn't stop people from gaining weight or having health issues.
    As an adult, I buy real butter. I haven't died yet from eating real food. I've never tried the Kerrygold brand. I'll have to look and see if it is available locally. I think any butter brand is a step up from margarine.
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Mmmm. Butter.

Not worth it.

If you're going to do it though, take the cream, add 1/2t of aroma B thermo bacteria, and let it sour a little, then make the butter.

butter is one of those things, nice to try to make once, but seriously... unless you live on a dairy and need to preserve your milk, just buy it.

cultured butter cultured butter cultured butter
    *drool*
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Four pages of butter love. This is why I <3 MFP
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Butter is melted sunlight. Margarine is liquid plastic. You choose.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    2jseo5.gif
  • dbmata
    Options
    What is Dave eating right now?

A slice of sourdough with cultured butter and dusseldorf style mustard.

You may all return to your regularly scheduled programming.