Small But Super Helpful Habits

Options

Replies

• apare351
    Options
    I started looking at food and thinking about what it would do for my body instead of what it tastes like. For example candy does nothing for the body where an apple is good fuel to keep your body going.

Also it's been said before but do something every hour i personally like to use the bathroom on the first floor and then walk up the six flights of stairs back to my floor, it's small but anything that gets your heart pumping a little bit is good.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Interesting to read what others find helpful.

I feel it is pretty helpful for me to log food for the day In advance. I can see if dinner is going to be heavy then maybe I should have a lighter breakfast or lunch and no snacks or increase my exercise. I'm trying to keep to 3 meals and one snack each day. Usually that is enough to fill me up.

Exercise is a bigger challenge for me. I feel like if my regular exercise doesn't require me to go anywhere or need special equipment then I am more likely to do it. So things like walking, dancing, and exercise videos works for me.

I'm new here but I can see that having active MFP friends will probably be pretty helpful to me.
  • rosepetals4eva
    rosepetals4eva Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi, well done on making the change from drinking soda to black tea,tglad you feel the changes!! Every little helps!! I enjoy my coffee with the odd green tea, but also water is good for weight loss!! I also eat more fruit and i like carrot sticks too :-) Hope this helps!!

• rosepetals4eva
    Options
    mgcarrillo wrote: »
    GothyFaery wrote: »
    Went from whole fat milk to fat free

Funny, I went from skim to whole fat milk :pensive:

Having supplies of nuts and coconut chips - they are a very easy form of a snack and very satisfying.
    Getting some tools for work, I have some salt-free seasoning, a microwave steamer tray, and knife, and now a food scale. This way i can just bring some fresh produce and keep in work fridge and prepare on the spot. Everything tastes better fresh :)

I have a weird thing with milk, where if I drink low fat or skim, my brain thinks of it as a "drink" (i.e., not a big deal) and I consume more without even thinking about it, whereas whole milk registers to me as a "food" and I'm careful about only drinking a reasonable amount. But that may be just my personal oddness.

I've actually read a study in which they randomized kids to either skim or whole milk, and the skim milk group ended up with greater calorie intake for the day.

I've already seen some shift in dietetics sources towards more full fat items, and I think this will continue over the next decade.

Certainly in my personal experience switching to full fat milk has been good for my taste buds and hasn't impeded weight loss in any way.

So drinking full fat milk instead of skimmed or even skimmed is better, weight loss wise?
  • rosepetals4eva
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    My most helpful small change is bringing healthy, low-cal, fat-based snacks to work so I don't munch down 400 calories of someone's brownies or birthday cake. I keep a box of 100-calorie almond packs at my desk and a bag of string cheese in the fridge; I usually only want one or the other, but even if I have both it's 170 calories of satiation instead of 300-500 of empty carbs and sugar. Tremendously helpful!

ETA: I really want to second (or third, or whatever we're on) the people who said using a food scale was a helpful small change. That made a staggering difference to my progress, and it's so much less fuss than it sounds. The food scale alone helped me get to an accurate, healthy 1500 calories/day... when before I was estimating 1500 calories and actually eating more like 3000+. Massive, massive difference.

Food scale sounds like a good idea!!! I must keep note of those snacks though! Greek yoghurt is so nice!!
  • gemmachapman87
    gemmachapman87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The single most helpful helpful thing I've found is switching my weekday breakfasts to porridge and an apple. I used to always get so hungry at at work before lunch but this low calorie breakfast really fills me up and is warming on winter mornings.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    xhecate wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Pre-log every morning.

This.

Me too (pre-log my day - the quote is hidden by default).
  • Just115Pounds
    Just115Pounds Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Slowly cutting calories and substituting foods. For example, instead of drinking my regular milk I changed to Silk's Unsweetened/Unflavored Soy Milk. This made a big difference of 100 calories less in my daily intake. Also, not putting condiments on my foods was helpful. Everything adds up and you'd be amazed at how many extra calories you consume without even knowing.
    Logging everything I consume is really helpful because it makes me feel in control and good about my food choices. It can also help in the respect that if I do eat something bad, I will have to see the consequences :pensive:
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I know things are all about the small tweaks these days, but I really think that if there's a big egregious issue (in my case, too many calories overall and a lack of exercise) that addressing that was a stronger positive than all the tiny habits.

I know little things add up, but if it's a big an obvious problem, I think it's more useful to run with the big and obvious solution. I don't need to try to overclock my metabolism (a chancy endeavor at best outside of lab conditions) until address the simple "too many calories".
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options

Having supplies of nuts and coconut chips - they are a very easy form of a snack and very satisfying.
    Getting some tools for work, I have some salt-free seasoning, a microwave steamer tray, and knife, and now a food scale. This way i can just bring some fresh produce and keep in work fridge and prepare on the spot. Everything tastes better fresh :)

I have a weird thing with milk, where if I drink low fat or skim, my brain thinks of it as a "drink" (i.e., not a big deal) and I consume more without even thinking about it, whereas whole milk registers to me as a "food" and I'm careful about only drinking a reasonable amount. But that may be just my personal oddness.

I've actually read a study in which they randomized kids to either skim or whole milk, and the skim milk group ended up with greater calorie intake for the day.

I've already seen some shift in dietetics sources towards more full fat items, and I think this will continue over the next decade.

Certainly in my personal experience switching to full fat milk has been good for my taste buds and hasn't impeded weight loss in any way.

I use full fat items on some things- I use butter for example. I don't drink milk except for special occasion lattes, and. I always use whole milk. When I'm cooking, I almost always use low or no fat- sour crem, Greek yogurt, cheese. For whatever reason, I don't feel like I miss this fat when I'm baking, but miss it more if the ingredient is the main event so to speak.

This is a great thread! I do many of these things already, but really like the alarm idea. I sit at my desk all. day. long. I have my own office, so people typcially come to me, not the reverse. I love the idea of setting an alarm at intervals to get myself up and moving throughout the day.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Along the lines of pre-logging, I usually pre-plan and log 70% of my budget, making sure the food is very satisfying and as nutrient dense as possible, and leave 30%+exercise calories for things I feel like having outside of my pre-planned food. Snacks, sweets, fruits...etc. If I don't feel like having anything extra that day, I just double up on some of my pre-planned dishes. This way I make sure I have plenty of nutrients, and some wiggle room for whatever I feel like having on a whim.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    So many good ideas here!

Mine is this: I cook my food, put everything away (if anything is left out, I WILL eat more), clean pots/dishes, make my plate and then I sit down with my food. I don't eat while I'm cooking or until I'm at the table. For me, all of these things make me pause and be mindful of my food. I used to eat so quickly that I didn't even taste my food!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

So drinking full fat milk instead of skimmed or even skimmed is better, weight loss wise?

I'm not sure I would go that far regarding one being better than the other for weight loss. For someone who really likes milk, 4 cups a day of full fat really add up in calories. I wouldn't be thrilled if I had to spend more than 1/3 of my budget on milk.

Now the study mentioned is done without limiting the amount of calories, so I'm guessing full fat milk is more satiating, leading overall to reduced calories intake. But in a controlled diet, where calories are accounted for, low fat milk may work better if you have other alternatives that help you stay satiated.
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Canderel instead of sugar in drinks.
    Frylight instead of olive oil for frying.
    Lurpak Lightest instead of butter - and a teensy amount
    Skimmed milk - a tiny bit - in tea and coffee instead of semi-skimmed
    Never buy high calorie food in packs, just buy one if possible.
    Don't sit in the house shivering and cold ( I live in a very old, cold, drafty house) wrap up, get out and garden.
    Make fitness plans with friends rather than eating ones.
    Always dance at parties even if no one else is -pretty soon they'll join you.
    Take fruit out if you know you're going to be hungry when out.
    Ignore most of the aisles in the supermarkets - they don't exist for me.
    If I have to buy high fat or high sugar food for tradesmen or family or friends then tell them I can't control myself round these foods and make them take it away when they go.
  • Buu_kz
    Buu_kz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I do not go to the store hungry and I dont buy any trigger foods. Every once and awhile ill buy some snack food but Ill have one portion and then hide the bag in a deep part of my pantry and for some reason that does the trick for not snacking all day on lets say cheetos lol
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Park as far from stores as you can. Saves time, too, it's easier to walk than drive around waiting for a close spot.

Use stairs and not elevators or escalators.

Keep a big sports thermos of water on your desk at all times and sip from it regularly, refill immediately when empty.

Two or three cups of hot green tea helps me even more than black tea.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Smaller portions
    Have burger lettuce wraps instead of buns (I like the wrap better anyways)
    I work a desk job and don't have to get up much so I set an alarm on my phone for 45 minutes. Every time it goes off I alternate between going to the bathroom and a 5 minute power walk around the building. It really adds up quick.

ETA: Using a food scale to actually weigh out servings. It's amazing what a differance that makes.

@gothyfaery, I'm just beginning to research this, so someone else may know more than me about the matter, but I recently found out that calcium is fat-soluble, meaning that when there is little/no fat in your milk/yogurt, your body is absorbing little/no calcium from that food. I'm slowly working my way from fat free up. We are currently drinking 1%. I have a friend (PE teacher, triathalete) who says if you're not drinking whole milk, there's no point in drinking it at all because you're not getting the nutritional benefit.
  • stronghealthywoman
    Options
    Water, water and more water!
    I started juicing and my health has changed so much
    Smoothies or fruit for breakfast
    Salads and raw foods
    I don't buy the temptation food
    I eat before going to the store
    Eat enough!
    Be conscious about what goes in your mouth
  • kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I use almond & coconut milk instead of regular milk. There's 45 calories in an 8 oz glass and they make great smoothies.

If you can't say no to junk food then don't keep it around. You can't eat it if it's not there. I keep almonds in the car to snack on and I take water with me when I go out. Keeping hydrated is important and drinking water before you eat will help you feel full.

Plan you meals out a week at a time that way you can have an idea of what you will be eating calorie wise and won't be as tempted to hit the drive through because you don't have anything planned.

Make time to exercise every day. If it's too cold or rainy outside walk up and down your stairs for 15-30 mins. If you're short on time walk 10-15 minutes 2-3 times a day. Climb stairs during commercial breaks. Do squats while brushing your teeth. Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator. Do burpees every morning. Start off doing 5 and add 1 burpee every day to your morning total. There are many things you can do to burn calories that don't require strenuous energy and lots of time but they do require some time and effort.

Most of all remember that you didn't get to where you are overnight so don't be discouraged when you don't get to where you want to be overnight. Stay strong, stay focused, and stay positive!
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Figure out a breakfast meal that leaves you satisfied.

For me, that's eggs, an apple or pear, and/or leftover boiled potatoes, with coffee and 18% cream. Usually ends up being about 350 calories, and it seems to set me up for success for the rest of my day's eating.

As much as I love bagels and buttered toast, if I have them for breakfast I am snacky for the rest of the day. They make a much better end-of-the-day treat if I have room in my calorie count.