WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options
3441730vo4n50ku8t.gif 160198dlwasor5m6.gif
smiley-talk017.gifWelcome to a friendly community of women. The name says Women ages 50+ but all women are welcome. I hope that those of you who are new will become part of this community. None of us is able to manage this journey to health and fitness alone.

How did you do with your goals or resolutions for January?
What goals or resolutions have you chosen for February?

Sign your post with your name or alias and your geographic location so we can get to know each other better.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gif253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif smiley-happy093.gif

My quote for 2015 (and the last five years)--- The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

January Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
*walk 18,500 steps a day (over 20,000 many days)
*strength training twice a week (once a week at best) smiley-sport017.gif
*review our will and documents of personal information (finished and filed in all the right places)
*don't expect praise or recognition (a great addition to my daily happiness)
*learn and teach two new dances (yes---and one of the dances was one that I choreographed) 253149qtzkf0ld22.gif

February Resolutions
*walk 19,000 steps a day (this is higher than last month)
*strength training twice a week (this is the one I still haven't accomplished)
smiley-sport017.gif
*get the income tax numbers compiled and mailed to the accountant
*Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good--this goes well with my happiness commandment to "Lighten up"

146200.png

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,107 Member
    Options
    Checking in for February. o:)<3<3o:)

Thanks Barbie.

Lin in Central Iowa where the snow is coming down faster now
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Wishing all the best to all my MFP friends
  • Twhitehead7
    Twhitehead7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ready to start a new month! Thinking of goals to lead up to my March1st birthday!
    Weight won't be where I want, so I need to focus on attainable goals!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie!

I'm so excited for a new month of success!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Happy February! We’ll be wishing George Washington and Abraham Lincoln Happy birthday this month here in the USA. We used to note each birthday separately and go forth to work or school. They combined the birthdays and made them into a national holiday to be observed on a Monday. Medical and retail businesses do not close for the day. :ohwell:

Here are my “new” goals. :bigsmile: They are familiar friends that have proven their worth to me by helping me improve my health. I use these goals month after month because they address what I really need to do.

February Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

30881843.png
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Sunday here in Tasmania. My Rest, Re-feed and Walk the dog day.
    Mildred beagle had an up/down night last night
    We drove to Ulverstone and she had 2 long paddles in the river and walked along River Road. She LOVES that place and sitting in back of the car.
    The vet says she can have another anti-inflammatory shot in 2 weeks if she goes well on these. She is bright eyed and loves her trips in the car.

MY goals for February:
    Log my food every day and saty close to 1700 calories
    Log my training every day. (walk on waking and weights 1 hour after breakfast)
    Train 6 days a week
    Drink 2 litres of water a day
    Make time for fun with Mildred
    Stay away from toxic neighbours

Lesley in Tasmania
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

**Thank you Barbie. (*)

*Yannie, how nice of you to volunteer to be out in the cold. By the time you read this, I hope you have warmed up.

*srclark, welcome to the group. I have 3 dogs but only one of them is our garbage disposal. We never have food go to waste and it doesn’t have to go in my mouth.  We’re glad to have you join us. Hope you visit and post often.

*SueBDue, we used to shop at HEB a thousand years ago where I grew up in Texas. I haven’t seen them in any of the other states that we’ve lived in and your post sent me on a trip down memory lane.

*fatchimom, welcome and good for you…No chips at a Mexican restaurant> Wow, not sure I could do that.

*Barbie, nice handiwork! Enjoy the game. (I’m wondering where do you find the time? You are always on the go.)

*Shanyn, isn’t it nice to know you are getting better each day. It will eventually become natural to eat right. And yes, most of us have some days harder than others, but they just make me enjoy the easy ones more. Keep up the good work.

*Mary, it must be wonderful to look good in a swim suit. Good for you!!! I’m looking better in my pants, but have a ways to go before I look good in a suit.

*Leslie, I’m so glad to hear that Mildred is still enjoying life even though she has her ups and downs. I guess that is all any of us can ask when we get really old. What fun for dogs that love the water. 

My wish is that we all have a wonderful and successful February, whatever our goals.

My goals for February are:
    Exercise 30 minutes a day at least 5 days a week.
    Drink 8 or more glasses of water a week.
    Stay reasonable with eating on cruise.
    Lose at least 6 pounds from current weight.

My word for now is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    But, I also like opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and then choose them. Life is full of options and I want to take the good ones.

Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Personal Training with Jackie Crunchless abs. Pretty good, if I do say so. I like her. Tomorrow the plan is to do some of the 30 Day Butt Lift DVD. I still need to figure out how this DVD works (at least for me)

Made an apple chicken loaf for dinner during the week. then made some chocolate chip cookies to have in the freezer.

Janet - congrats on exceeding your exercise goals

Kim
    - normally, I drink over 100oz of water a day.

Rori - how I envy you gals getting to meet in person! thanks for sharing the photo

Sharon
    - did they REALLY defrost the cat in the microwave???? I, too, would probably throw out that microwave after defrosting the cat!

Red - good luck in your tournament

katla - "two point balance" sounds like what jockeys do.

Janet - All around the pool we have riverrock which is why I'm trying to get more colorful things there. Love your sign

yanniejannie
    - just think about how many calories you probably burned keeping your body warm!

Sylvia - I'm going to put the praying mantis by the pool. All around the pool we have riverrock so I'm trying to get some color in there. There's nothing special that I'm trying to match, I'm just wanting it to be "fun"

Susanrae - welcome!

barbie
    - wonderful hats. What will you do with them after the Superbowl? Will you keep them?

terri - be safe, don't work too hard

toni - aqua would be a good color for one part of the praying mantis since it'll be out by the pool

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Michele I forgot to add about you praying mantis. I love the bold vivid colors like neon green eyes,etc.
  • crazyDogLady61
    crazyDogLady61 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Good Evening dear ladies!

I am stuck at work tonight trying to unravel a mess with one of my classes. My virtual machine is running so slow that I have plenty of time to kill between operations, so I have time to chat a bit. The bright side is that I think I have at least the data part of the problem “unknotted” (and found the sources for the problems in the first place).

Michele in NC: you ask about what kind of Challenges there are from Map My Fitness. It varies. There is always some corporate sponsor. Right now there are four challenges winding down. Nake Juice is 30 workouts and 50 veggies in 30 days. Champions and American Family challenges are similar 15 workouts in 30 days – the types of workouts each on takes is different. The MapMyFitness challenge has been going on for 90 days and requires 45 workouts (all pretty long). There have also been challenges that were all running or all walking, or walking your dog. I think they are fun. By, the bye --- I think the praying mantis should be lots of bright color with a purple back!

Sylvia: The zen of dog training – to get what you want you must first give it up. The way you train more than one dog at a time, starts with training the non-working dog(s) or just training everyone to chill. I put each dog on a mat. As long as you are on your mat you can have cookies. If you are off your mat, everyone else gets cookies, but you. (So sad for you!) I will actually feed kibble for dinner when I need to do this exercise and the dogs are working for their dinner. There are a bunch of other subtle things to be aware of but that is the gist of what I do.

I got a uTube video from a friend to help celebrate my goals. Watch it and be inspired!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN7lt0CYwHg&amp;x-yt-ts=1422579428&amp;x-yt-cl=85114404

Looking for the joy in every day, just like my dogs.
    Remember to breathe…

Sally W.
    Oregon

oNgvm8.png

jkBTm8.png

kD1Xm8.png

vatbm8.png

• dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Katla - Sounds like you will be discovering new muscles with your riding lessons.

Meg - I love my recumbent bike although I don't use it as often as I should. I also have a specialized trike that I pull out in the spring. Waiting impatiently.
    Your story about the naked show was hilarious. It just goes to show that there is always someone watching. They were probably laying bets as to what your were up to.

Mary - You must have had a great sense of accomplishment when you tried swimsuits on and felt comfortable.

TN Toni - Yes, DS was served with custody papers. She is surprised that he got a lawyer and says he is playing dirty. Why wouldn't he get a lawyer? Such a nice surprise when you think you are on a nice family holiday.

Sally - Loved the video

For all that asked about the cat and the microwave.
    Yes, they really did try to defrost poor Smoky in the microwave. It was quite the smell and I don't know what they did with it. I had never been to a formal cat funeral so didn't know the protocol. There were flowers, cards and gifts.
    After Smoky was finally in his nice little box we were invited up to say a few words/sing/ quote a poem/kiss Smoky. I declined. It was so weird but when we recall our vacations it is usually talked about.

Tonight was our Christmas party. This elf came home with a really fantastic personal blender. Back to Smoothies. I wasn't that impressed with the food, it was mainly battered and deep fried. The hockey game was exciting but DH wanted to leave before the game was over.

Tomorrow is the Frozen party for DGD who is turning 5. Resting up for the games and the dancing.

Goals for February:
    Check my blood sugar once a day .
    Eat more salads.
    Strength train 1-2 x /wk.
    Plan ahead for eating.
    Reconnect with friends.
    Compliment 1 person sincerely each day.

-Sharon in Southern Alberta where winter has come back
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    Happy February!

I'm looking forward to the Super Bowl today! After church I will get my exercise in so I can eat some healthy snacks and stay within my calorie count.

Janet - I still have 25 lbs to go before I really look good in a swimsuit, but I was excited because they actually got smart and made swimsuits that covered my boobs! I always felt over exposed! I bought 2 different styles at Herbergers. I feel like going back and getting a couple more but will wait until I reach my goal weight. I started going to the hotel on Tuesday & Thursday with my DSIL for open swim. I was going to mention that I have always wanted to go to Myrtle Beach, as a science teacher I showed the movie October Sky every year and Homers mom eventually moved there. Are you familiar with that movie?

Sharon - thanks for the encouragement. I do feel excited that I am starting to see the results of a lot of sacrifice and hard work. I love your cat funeral story! I've been to a couple myself but yours is by far the most unique! Lucky you with the new blender!

February goals
    Exercise 6 days a week
    Make healthier choices
    Move more - sit less

Word for the month - energizer
    It makes me think of. .. Can anyone guess?

My quote still comes from The Little Engine That Could "I - Think -I -Can

Have a great February everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • StrawbC
    StrawbC Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've 61 more pounds to loose and would love to find an accountability buddy. Everyone says its the best way to keep yourself on track and I've noticed the more and pop on here and read what others are doing and reading how others deal with issues I face such as night time munchies, the more focused I remain. So if anyone's keen to have an accountability buddy let me know and we can support and encourage each other through the tough times and celebrate the successes together!!
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies

I've been thinking about goals for this month. I wanted to be 10 stone (140lbs) by my birthday at the end of March. I'm nearly there, but still have a few pounds to lose . I need to get back on track as I've let bad eating habits creep into my life again.

My goal for February is "back to basics"

I've done my exercises today and walked the dog. I have 6719 steps on my fit bit and want to finish the day on around 15,000 steps.

I haven't read the posts yet, but after I do something away from the computer I am going to "reward" myself by spending time catching up, and then (I need a timer :D ) after 20 = 30 mins I will leave the computer to do something else and then reward myself with computer time again. I think this is the best way to go for me otherwise I can spend too long on the computer and nothing else gets done. I spent ages online yesterday looking at tumble dryers as mine has broken. Time seems to go so quickly on line.

I need to get a few things done and then I will be back to read the last few pages of the January thread and then start on the February posts.

Quick thanks to Barbie for keeping everything going month on month. <3

Back later

Viv xx Cold and windy York UK
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks, Barbie!
    Wishing us all a good day.
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    Good February morning everyone!
    The sun is shining here. We have pansies, helebores and snowdrops. The crocuses are in bud.
    No snow for our trip to the airport. I slept. The pain is still there, but manageable with painkillers. I am packed. Just a few house jobs to do. We are checked in and have two seats together on our own. Feeling positive and not too nervous. :bigsmile:

Thank you Barbie for setting us on our February track. I hope I will be able to check in with you all from time to time while I am away. Not everywhere will have wifi.

Didn't exercise this morning becsuse I am resting my hip. Don't want to be in agony on the plane. I did well on calories yesterday and I am half a pound under target this morning, but a travelling day is always a challenge. DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD. I will not beat myself up if today I go a bit over. Sri Lankan food should be delicious and healthy. Where possible I will not go for the buffet as I never eat enough to make it good value. (We are on a b&b basis) Where possible we will eat locally and not in the hotels as they are expensive. I hope to swim and walk. I realistically expect to put on two or three pound which will take me two or three weeks to lose when I come home. That is not a disaster and I will be having an ADVENTURE! ! ! ! ! ! ! :drinker:

Love you all. Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies
    Thanks Barbie for the new thread.
    So many new ladies! Welcome! Looking forward to getting to know you all!
    Heather hope you have a great holiday.
    Well am trying to stick to daily logging although the weekend went awry as we were out of town n no access to a computer.
    Best wishes all
    Anamika from Mumbai
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie :flowerforyou:
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Sally loved the video!
    Anamika
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie, you are my inspiration :)

Best Wishes to all for February

Juanita