slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    What kind of exercises are you food braggers doing to eat such massive amounts of calories? And the ones eating like horses and losing weight baffle me too. I took a break from dieting because I flat out stopped losing weight eating 2200 calories. So I eat 2700 for a few weeks. Of course I gained weight. Great. Let's waste more time losing. So two weeks ago I go back to 2200. Great 5lbs of water in a couple weeks. Let's follow the "it's just one day, enjoy your life" BS people preach. Goto a birthday party. Have some nachos and beer for the Superbowl. Great. I weigh more this morning then when I cut my calories two weeks ago. Really? Seriously? I'm 5'11" 233lbs and I lift 5-6 days a week. But the chick who's 5'2 105, she eats 100000000 calories and loses 2lbs a week? Really? I think some people flat out lie about their calorie counts.

Well only because you asked so nicely :D I am marathon training right now so my miles have increased. My typical non training mode is from 600-800 per day calorie burn most days of the week. On long run days I can burn upwards of 2000 calories so obviously I need to eat more, other days are a bit less. I vary between running, the Arc trainer at the gym, my spin bike here at home and my treadmill also here at home. I lift weights and do HIIT for strength/cardio. I have a desk job but I work from home so I try to remind myself to get up and move every hour or so. When I had lost about half the weight I actually increased my calorie intake and lost more but that wasn't just about quantity, but also about quality. I'm 5'2 and weigh 128 pounds but most people guess I am around 110 due to my muscle mass. I think in part that helps quite a bit as far as burning calories is concerned. I really do hope the posts here help!
    Yeah, I understand when it's an explanation like this. I'm talking about the "I lift a few times a week and never do cardio but I eat 2,500 calories a day to lose weight" gals. OK, so I literally weigh 100lbs more than these chicks but I don't lose an ounce eating 2200? It flat out makes no sense. Like I said, people are lying about their intake or their activity levels to make this look easier than it is.

Not to poke the bear, but maybe you're underestimating your intake?

I have a food scale at work and two at home (one for meats, one for other stuff). I used to weigh 365lbs and have been dieting a long time off and on but I have never managed to get under 225ish. I'm really familiar with the concept of weighing and measuring. The only fudges I'll have are those "it's just one day" things people swear you can have. I'll go to dinner at a sushi place on Saturday night *gasp*. Really? ONE meal a week of rice and friggin' fish is what's stopping me? And yes, it's only been two weeks this time since I've dropped my calories but I was dieting for like 5 straight months before it just stopped working again.

If you've been dropping weight since 365lbs, you likely are having problems with metabolic adaptation at least to some extent. Essentially, you need to eat less than you expect to lose. The adaptation is not permanent, but I've seen trainers post that it's taken months to get their clients' intake higher.

So, my guess is that you have two options: continue to cut your calories until you see a loss or work on increasing your metabolic rate. I'm not sure how people actually do that, but my guess is that you eat at maintenance for a rather extended period of time and lift weights (which I know you're already doing). It might help to ask someone with some experience with this.

Easy solution: eat less, even though it completely sucks.

I was dieting down for 7 months myself, and I do figure there has been some metabolic adaptation. This is why I'm taking a break from weighing while still eating at a very slight deficit. I may not lose much weight if any, but I cannot lift properly eating 2000 calories. And I probably would have had to go lower to get a more substantial loss rate. So I'd rather cross my fingers that I'll get some body recomp going eating more cals and lifting better :p

Yeah, that's also a good idea. I took a diet break November and December, but not in a good way. I had to stop lifting due to an injury, and then would say f-it and eat everything. And now I'm up 10lbs (I'd imagine some of that is water weight, but it's not dropping off quickly, so I'm not holding my breath). I really would like to get to a point where I'm comfortable with my weight enough to say I'm going to try eating at maintenance for 8 months and recomp, and then reevaluate. Sadly, I'm not there yet. :sad:

ETA: OP, I am cutting at 1800 calories a day, but that factors in 200 calories each day I save up for Saturdays because I game with friends and manage to snack all day... So, about 2000 calories a day.

You are in almost the exact same position as me! I gained ten pounds over Christmas (which had never happened). I am trying for 1900/day with one or two "bigger" days for an average of 2050 over the week. This worked amazingly well last time I cut.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't understand why to weigh a bun? Is this assuming other people are eating as well so you have to make sure the bun you eat is an actual portion size?? I live alone so I don't worry if one portion is a little bigger and one a little smaller bc as long as I eat all of them it breaks even. I don't weigh any packaged food bc it evens out. I use a food scale for cooking, meat, fats, etc, but I think I'm a little confused with what you guys do. Why make your own entry for everything, etc?? I'm genuinely just curious!!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    I don't understand why to weigh a bun? Is this assuming other people are eating as well so you have to make sure the bun you eat is an actual portion size?? I live alone so I don't worry if one portion is a little bigger and one a little smaller bc as long as I eat all of them it breaks even. I don't weigh any packaged food bc it evens out. I use a food scale for cooking, meat, fats, etc, but I think I'm a little confused with what you guys do. Why make your own entry for everything, etc?? I'm genuinely just curious!!

It's definitely a bigger problem when you have multiple people eating food. Also, I will buy breads from the grocery store bakery, which is less likely to have as much portion control (not extruded from a machine). I just bought some ciabatta rolls, and there are six to a package, but each of them were rather different in size. I pulled two out, one for my boyfriend and one for me. I randomly decided to weigh mine (which was visibly smaller than the one I gave my boyfriend), and it was about 10g larger than the serving size. If the overall package weight is accurate (big if on bakery goods), it will balance out if you had that problem, but not me because I'm feeding two different people.

Also, as BFDeal pointed out, these are mostly going to be small changes. It will be a bigger factor the closer you get to goal weight because your deficit will get smaller than you think. And if you get lazy in weighing because you "know" what a portion is, that creep also will cut into your deficit because eyeballing isn't that accurate. That's why when people complain about not losing, one of the first questions is are you weighing and logging accurately.
  • moglovesshoez
    moglovesshoez Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for 1400 - 1600 after syncing my Misfit, but regularly eat 2000 - 2500 cals per day.
  • auddii
    Options
    It will be a bigger factor the closer you get to goal weight because your deficit will get smaller than you think.

Just to emphasize in my case, I am roughly 43 pounds from the TOP end of what is considered a healthy weight for my height. In no way shape or form near what any sane person would say is a goal weight.

Yeah, I wasn't referring to you, I was explaining to the OP since she asked the question. I don't think your small estimates are what is actually affecting your loss. Unfortunately, I think you'll either need to increase your activity level (either adding cardio or increasing NEAT) or decrease your calorie intake.

SUCKS!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercises are you food braggers doing to eat such massive amounts of calories? And the ones eating like horses and losing weight baffle me too. I took a break from dieting because I flat out stopped losing weight eating 2200 calories. So I eat 2700 for a few weeks. Of course I gained weight. Great. Let's waste more time losing. So two weeks ago I go back to 2200. Great 5lbs of water in a couple weeks. Let's follow the "it's just one day, enjoy your life" BS people preach. Goto a birthday party. Have some nachos and beer for the Superbowl. Great. I weigh more this morning then when I cut my calories two weeks ago. Really? Seriously? I'm 5'11" 233lbs and I lift 5-6 days a week. But the chick who's 5'2 105, she eats 100000000 calories and loses 2lbs a week? Really? I think some people flat out lie about their calorie counts.

Well only because you asked so nicely :D I am marathon training right now so my miles have increased. My typical non training mode is from 600-800 per day calorie burn most days of the week. On long run days I can burn upwards of 2000 calories so obviously I need to eat more, other days are a bit less. I vary between running, the Arc trainer at the gym, my spin bike here at home and my treadmill also here at home. I lift weights and do HIIT for strength/cardio. I have a desk job but I work from home so I try to remind myself to get up and move every hour or so. When I had lost about half the weight I actually increased my calorie intake and lost more but that wasn't just about quantity, but also about quality. I'm 5'2 and weigh 128 pounds but most people guess I am around 110 due to my muscle mass. I think in part that helps quite a bit as far as burning calories is concerned. I really do hope the posts here help!
    Yeah, I understand when it's an explanation like this. I'm talking about the "I lift a few times a week and never do cardio but I eat 2,500 calories a day to lose weight" gals. OK, so I literally weigh 100lbs more than these chicks but I don't lose an ounce eating 2200? It flat out makes no sense. Like I said, people are lying about their intake or their activity levels to make this look easier than it is.

I have a food scale at work and two at home (one for meats, one for other stuff). I used to weigh 365lbs and have been dieting a long time off and on but I have never managed to get under 225ish. I'm really familiar with the concept of weighing and measuring. The only fudges I'll have are those "it's just one day" things people swear you can have. I'll go to dinner at a sushi place on Saturday night *gasp*. Really? ONE meal a week of rice and friggin' fish is what's stopping me? And yes, it's only been two weeks this time since I've dropped my calories but I was dieting for like 5 straight months before it just stopped working again.

If you've been dropping weight since 365lbs, you likely are having problems with metabolic adaptation at least to some extent. Essentially, you need to eat less than you expect to lose. The adaptation is not permanent, but I've seen trainers post that it's taken months to get their clients' intake higher.

So, my guess is that you have two options: continue to cut your calories until you see a loss or work on increasing your metabolic rate. I'm not sure how people actually do that, but my guess is that you eat at maintenance for a rather extended period of time and lift weights (which I know you're already doing). It might help to ask someone with some experience with this.

Easy solution: eat less, even though it completely sucks.

I was dieting down for 7 months myself, and I do figure there has been some metabolic adaptation. This is why I'm taking a break from weighing while still eating at a very slight deficit. I may not lose much weight if any, but I cannot lift properly eating 2000 calories. And I probably would have had to go lower to get a more substantial loss rate. So I'd rather cross my fingers that I'll get some body recomp going eating more cals and lifting better :p

Yeah, that's also a good idea. I took a diet break November and December, but not in a good way. I had to stop lifting due to an injury, and then would say f-it and eat everything. And now I'm up 10lbs (I'd imagine some of that is water weight, but it's not dropping off quickly, so I'm not holding my breath). I really would like to get to a point where I'm comfortable with my weight enough to say I'm going to try eating at maintenance for 8 months and recomp, and then reevaluate. Sadly, I'm not there yet. :sad:

ETA: OP, I am cutting at 1800 calories a day, but that factors in 200 calories each day I save up for Saturdays because I game with friends and manage to snack all day... So, about 2000 calories a day.
    I might go up higher to maintenance in a few months, maybe during March and April for final exams so I have more food for snacking while studying. But yeah, I'm about 15lbs out from my goal so I would rather take it slow at a higher cal count now than try to go too low.
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options

Yes, you can have those days. I had like 3-4 of them in December. And a couple in January. I just lost very slowly because of it.

Your caloric needs change as you lose weight. You can also stop seeing results on the scale for weeks at a time.

You are being impatient. And your diary does not lend one to believe you weigh your food.
    Besides yesterday and Saturday how does it not "lend one to believe?"
    Example from my diary, notice the, dur, weights. I even round up on most things. See alot of 1.1 or 2.1? That's me rounding up!!!!!!:
    publix ground sirlion - hamburger meat, 8 oz
    Southern Home - Hamburger Buns, 2 bun
    Specialty Selected - Aldi - Alehouse Cheddar, 1.6 ounce
    Avocado, Haas - Usda (Grams), 59 g
    Usda - Onions, 20 g(s)
    Vegetable - Tomato (Usda), 130 Grams

1 bun = not weighed.
    Generic - Cap'n Crunch Chocolately Crunch, 1.5750000000000002 cup
    Tostitos - Multigrain Scoops! Tortilla Chips, 0.25 container (10 oz (28g/about 12 chips ea.)
    Kraft Natural Cheese - Finely Shredded Triple Cheddar, 0.5 container (2 cups ea.)
    Skinny Cow - Cookies 'n Cream Ice Cream Sandwich, 1 sandwich
    Great Value (Walmart) Large Curd Cottage Cheese - Cottage Cheese, 1.05 cup
    Newman's Own - Peach Salsa, Medium, 4.2 tbsp (32g)
    Great Value (Walmart) Large Curd Cottage Cheese - Cottage Cheese, 1.05 cup
    Great Value - Medium Picante Salsa, 4.2 tbsp
    Great Value (Walmart) Large Curd Cottage Cheese - Cottage Cheese, 0.925 cup
    Nabisco - Double Stuffed Oreos, 1 cookies
    Carr's Kitchen - Quaker Oats - Cap'n Crunch Peanut Butter, 1 1/2 Cup
    Great Value - Medium Picante Salsa, 4.2 tbsp

etc etc. These do not look weighed. Just use a weighted entry or create your own if it doesn't exist.

Do NOT round up. Put in the ACTUAL WEIGHT of what you ate.

You also were eating above your 2200 goal. even just eating 50 calories more every day = 350 calories more that week = even less of a deficit. And you eat out regularly, meaning sodium and inaccurate calories = less scale weight loss.
    1. OK, so I'm not going to worry about the 5 calorie difference up or down with buns. I used to weigh those but it's just flat out not worth it.
    2. Yeah, like I said. Past two days I had a birthday and the Superbowl. I chalked it up to I count sooooooo much why not just let it go. It was an estimate.
    3. Same for the cheese. Estimate.
    4. Again, a couple of difference in grams of the skinny cow sandwich aren't going to break the bank. This is why I estimate high on other stuff to make up for the few generic package items I do eat that I don't weigh.
    5. For all the cottage cheeses and cereals I'm not sure what you see wrong here. Here's my process for both. Sit the bowl on the scale. Turn it on. Scale reads zero. Spoon in the cottage cheese (or pour for the cereal) attempting to get as close to whatever two times the serving size in grams is. Sometimes it's even. If not then I use math. Let's say I have 230 grams of cottage cheese. The serving size is 113g. 230/113 is 2.0354ish (I can carry this out to 90 digits if we realllllly need to be exact). Sooooo I round up. 2.1 servings it is. Which is like 1.05 cups I guess according to MFP, which just expresses it in cups. Same for the salsa. Tare the scale, drop the food, do the math. Round up. The lower cottage cheese number, the .925 is resulted from, you guessed it, a portion of less than 2 servings. This happens at the end of every tub of cottage cheese for me (I eat this twice a day so I've noticed a pattern).
    6. Again, not weighing one Orea. 1g difference is not that significant a calorie difference and should be negated by, again, rounding up other stuff.

I don't really understanding why you're being so condescending... you're the one whining about not losing weight eating at the calorie amount you want to eat... others are just offering up some advice as to why you may not be losing weight.

It gets harder when you lose and you have to be more strict then you were in the beginning. I lost 50lbs and spent 2 years killing myself and getting no where simply because I was eating more than I thought I was and I wasn't weighing my food accurately and I was overestimating my performance.
  • auddii
    Options
    It will be a bigger factor the closer you get to goal weight because your deficit will get smaller than you think.

Just to emphasize in my case, I am roughly 43 pounds from the TOP end of what is considered a healthy weight for my height. In no way shape or form near what any sane person would say is a goal weight.

Yeah, I wasn't referring to you, I was explaining to the OP since she asked the question. I don't think your small estimates are what is actually affecting your loss. Unfortunately, I think you'll either need to increase your activity level (either adding cardio or increasing NEAT) or decrease your calorie intake.

SUCKS!
    But I thought you don't have to starve yourself? So I should what, eat 1500 calories a day? How low do I go?

If you're currently eating 2200 and not losing, I'm in no way suggesting you cut all the way down to 1500. Try reducing it to 2000 and see how you do.

I'm able to lose at around 2000 calories a day, but I am pretty active. I walk a lot. A mile into work, a mile home, and a 3 mile walk at lunch during the week. I do cardio at the gym 4 days a week, usually for an hour each. I lift 3-4 days a week, full body heavy weights (this means I have a few two-a-days). On my "rest day" I was finding I wasn't getting enough steps in, so I go on a 4-6 mile walk.

I found getting an activity tracker super helpful (even just for a week). I started out with a $5 pedometer that work gave me for free. I was getting about 3000 steps a day. I now look for ways to add more steps to my day (I've since gotten a fitbit, and I'm rather competitive and get annoyed when my friends who run get more steps than I do). I take the stairs, get up to get drinks more often, etc. My low days are now around 12,000 steps, and my high days average around 25,000 steps.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I eat 3600 in the warmer months to maintain. Around 2600 in the winter months.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I eat 2000 calories a day to lose, and then add exercise calories on top of that. I am 5'9" and 160lbs. I maintain around 2500.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercises are you food braggers doing to eat such massive amounts of calories? And the ones eating like horses and losing weight baffle me too. I took a break from dieting because I flat out stopped losing weight eating 2200 calories. So I eat 2700 for a few weeks. Of course I gained weight. Great. Let's waste more time losing. So two weeks ago I go back to 2200. Great 5lbs of water in a couple weeks.

I don't do massive workouts, but I do keep moving all day. In fact, my biggest calorie burn days (I have a Body Media Fit) are not on days I work out, but on days I've hosted parties because I was in constant motion from the time I got up until I fell into bed. If you have a desk job, it's going to be impossible to move as much as I do--I normally get around 15,000 steps a day.

And yes, I eat over 2000 calories every day.

• Benjinkan
    Benjinkan Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I eat 2600-2700 (gross), and net somewhere around 2000-2100. At 6' and 180 that's ~15% deficit, but I'm about to up it to start bulking.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercises are you food braggers doing to eat such massive amounts of calories?

I do a cardio circuit training video "game" 4x a week. (Light lifting, core, plyo, that kinda stuff.) I run about 3x a week (weather permitting) about three miles at a clip. And I do stronglifts 3x a week. But I'm also fairly active in my regular life. I work from home as an artist and I'm on my feet more often than not (I can't paint sitting down), plus normal household chores, shopping, dog walking, etc. Lately, shoveling frickin' snow several times a week, too, and I have a corner lot, so there's lots of sidewalk. :|

When I can lose on 2000+, I'm lifting a lot heavier and running longer distances than I am now. Thanks, lower back injury.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Well, I've never said I don't do cardio. I actually prefer running to lifting, but I like what lifting does to my body more.