Anyone using anything to help lose weight, shakes, teas, caffeine, ect?

Options
Hi everyone,
I know we are all about health and healthy, but I just wanted to know if anyone has used anything to help them lose the weight or gain muscle, for example from Lindberg Nutrition, shakes, teas, even caffeine. I'll go first, when I originally lost 65lbs to begin with I was using the help of Alli and a fat burner you can buy from target, however I am starting over. Anyone have any good tips. Thanks

Replies

• keana55
    keana55 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Large cup of Millstone Hazelnut coffee and 2 tbsps half and half. As good as a dessert! 40 calories!!
  • mldrown
    mldrown Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My best luck with gaining muscle is extended lifting/body weight sessions and then eating a healthy helping of protein after. Example - after morning workout, a low carb wrap, two egg whites, two tablespoons salsa, 1/2 c black beans. Protein packed, under 300 cals. I used to be into Muscle Milk but the added sugar wasn't doing me any good.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Calories in Calories out. I would not waste my money on any gimmicks, how does that saying go again.... ah yes 'a fool and his money are soon parted'
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Yes, all that is crap.

Weight loss shakes are just expensive meal replacements you can make yourself. Skinny bunny tea? Bullcrap in a glass.

Calories in vs. calories out. Eat what you like and make it fit.
  • Sebismom
    Sebismom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Okay, not what you are fishing for, but I switched from coffee to green tea and my blood sugar spikes went away. This kept me from getting the shakes, and in turn kept me from snacking.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Just the old fashion way of weight loss, eating at a deficit and exercising. ;)

To gain muscle you need to be in a surplus and lifting heavy things. :p
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Nope, all that is crap. Just eat less, move more, repeat.
  • corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    The fact that you are starting over is an indication that they don't work long term. Adjust your way of eating long term and you'll have lasting results.

Eat less, move more. CICO.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Shakes or drinks don't cause weight loss or muscle gain. For weight loss you need a calorie deficit. For muscle gain you need to lifts heavy in a calorie surplus.

I do use a meal replacement mix, but it's for convenience.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    As others have said calories in calories out. The main thing is to find a way of maintaining a moderate calorie deficit long enough to lose the amount of weight you need to and working into your life in a way that won't make you miserable. People on here will give you plenty of tips and tricks about how to do this but I can guaratee for the majority of the long-term successful ones it won't involve fat burners or any gimicks.

I drink green tea because I enjoy it, I take protein shakes to hit my protein macro some days and I drink caffinated beverages or take caffiene to keep me alert and occassionaly for an extra boost in my workout. I'm not pretending that any of these have magical weight loss properties though - they don't.

Best comes to terms with the fact that there IS no magical weightloss supplement and accept the fat that if you want to do this properly you're in it for the long haul.

Good luck
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    As others have said calories in calories out. The main thing is to find a way of maintaining a moderate calorie deficit long enough to lose the amount of weight you need to and working into your life in a way that won't make you miserable. People on here will give you plenty of tips and tricks about how to do this but I can guaratee for the majority of the long-term successful ones it won't involve fat burners or any gimicks.

I drink green tea because I enjoy it, I take protein shakes to hit my protein macro some days and I drink caffinated beverages or take caffiene to keep me alert and occassionaly for an extra boost in my workout. I'm not pretending that any of these have magical weight loss properties though - they don't.

Best comes to terms with the fact that there IS no magical weightloss supplement and accept the fat that if you want to do this properly you're in it for the long haul.

Good luck

This.

• lizalmp1234
    lizalmp1234 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking for a magical weight loss, when I lost the weight I went to the gym twice a day everyday and counted my calories religiously. I did try a few fat burners that I thought helped me with my energy level working out. The only reason I gained the weight back was because I stopped counting calories and completely stopped the gym because it was my last semester in college. I know that it is less in and more out. I guess this post must have offended a few-that was not my intention!
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking for a magical weight loss, when I lost the weight I went to the gym twice a day everyday and counted my calories religiously. I did try a few fat burners that I thought helped me with my energy level working out. The only reason I gained the weight back was because I stopped counting calories and completely stopped the gym because it was my last semester in college. I know that it is less in and more out. I guess this post must have offended a few-that was not my intention!

OK, then. Sounds like you know what you have to do to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Best of luck to you.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone was offended, well I wasn't at least. There really isn't much evidence supporting fat burners. We just don't want you spending money on something that doesn't work. Put your money into a gym membership, some healthy foods or at least some supplements with proven benefits. If you need something to increase energy caffiene works well and its effect on execise performance are well-studied. There are also a lot of pre-workout supplements on the market that will help give you an extra boost. Using something for energy is different to using something to lose weight which is what you were asking about in your post
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

I don't see where anyone was offended. Also, what is a fat burner?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Food.
  • mcclelland0484
    mcclelland0484 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was taking Hydroxycut Hardcore. It seemed to help a little but made me act like a crackhead. I stopped taking it and continued to lose weight but at a slightly slower rate. It's actually a good thing that I slowed down. I was losing at a crazy rate either way. I made a huge deficit to begin with. Lost total 130 lbs in 7 months. Lost 48 lbs in 45 days on the pills. Not endorsing the product, just stating facts. I did it wrong and I don't care. The weight is off and I am comfortable in maintanance mode.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking for a magical weight loss, when I lost the weight I went to the gym twice a day everyday
    That's excessive & unhealthy. You need to find a gay psychic (happy medium).
    And yes, it seems you are looking for "a magical weight loss", asking about shakes, teas, etc.

"Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

When I started last year, I used an appetite suppressant to control my hunger while I learned to eat normal-sized portions. It didn't lose the weight for me, just made it possible for me to eat right. It reset my hunger from always on to normal, which is a miracle. The first couple days I couldn't believe that I wasn't hungry. I never remember that happening before.

But the weight loss I've managed has been done the only way that it ever happens:
    eating less than my body burns.
    Control calories in, increase calories out.
    when I originally lost 65lbs to begin with I was using the help of Alli and a fat burner you can buy from target, however I am starting over
    So instead of learning to eat healthfully you chose to have fat feces and waste money on a placebo, and (not surprisingly) it didn't work long-term.
    Since you're starting over, how about learning something about nutrition, a healthy goal weight, a healthy calorie goal, a healthy amount of exercise... things that you can continue the rest of your life?

More helpful info, also linked to in that post ^^^

A guide to get you started on your path to sexypants

The basics - don't complicate it

51637601.png
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I like to use miles.

Miles and miles. They come in many flavors. There's treadmill miles, and road miles, and trail miles, and mountain miles, and river miles, and miles on the track, and miles in the gym. There's fast miles and slow miles and moderate miles. Uphill miles and downhill miles. Solitary miles and group miles. Competition miles and recreational miles.

Miles and miles and miles ...

HINT: you can't buy 'em, and the things that you can typically buy will do nothing but lighten your wallet and makes some Snake Oil Salesman rich at your expense.
  • qstneverything
    qstneverything Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I got a teatox thingy in a beauty box this month. Apparently it's pretty much tea laced with laxatives. I felt ill at the gym today and had to stop a couple of minutes shy of my hour long workout, I suspect it's the teatox but I'm giving it one more day to see. It's a 6 day sample, I wouldn't use/buy it otherwise
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!