Singles: Does Valentine's Day depress you?

Options

Replies

• JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Is it bad that I think Valentines is great because of the sale on chocolate?

(Where I live we get these great sales on chocolate during Valentines day and it's pretty awesome.)

No day is a bad day when chocolate is on sale.

I never cared about Valentine's Day. It's my sister's birthday, which I like, but I had always been single on it up till two years ago. A few years before that I had an epic one where I had gotten my tax refund in time to buy myself an XBox 360 and a gun. (I didn't go psycho with the gun because it was a Valentine's Day and I was alone, I got it because I like guns. lol) I like the candy but the holiday is meh. The day before is my anniversary with my boyfriend. I always tell him I rather do something for our anniversary than for Valentine's Day because it means more to me. I figure show the person you love that you love them every day than cramming it all into one day. But seriously if you want to get me candy, I'm down with that.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Meh. We do romantic stuff all the time. V-day is just another day for us.

You have the best username EVER. Jus' sayin'.

• ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I don't like Valentine's day. I feel if you're in a relationship you don't need a specific date to do something together. I also feel like it's more of a one sided holiday where the guy is expected to put out a bunch of money.

However, since I'm single (and have been for some time), people think I say I don't like Valentines' day because I'm alone, when this is not the case at all. Even in a relationship I don't like it.
  • Chocoloiza
    Options
    I've been always alone on Valentine's Day. There's no need to be sad though. I always have fun walking past between couples holding hands during Valentine's day. Bwahahaha. Don't misunderstand me I'm not bitter haha
    If you really want someone to spend it with it, try speed dating on Valentine's Day!! Or go wear a dashing dress, doll yourself up and strut your stuff! You never know, your Valentine might just be around the corner!!
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Romance is dumb. Valentines Day is dumb. Love should be something that's expressed on a daily basis. And fifty bucks for roses that'll last a week is stupid, and not an expression of love, except that it's what society says it is. It's just dead plants.
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Personally, for me it's not a holiday unless I get a paid day off work.

As for being alone? Hell, I'm married and I'm still alone on Valentines day, and every other day it seems like? So what is worse, V-Day without someone, V-Day with someone and being alone. At least you have options. For me, Options will cost half!
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    I think Vday is overrated...
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Being single depresses me.
    Not having to queue up in card shops doesn't depress me.
  • qdoyle11
    qdoyle11 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Not at all! My single friends and I get together and host a huge dinner party, lots of laughs. It's got so popular that the taken ones ask if they can come too!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    hold the phones...what does "emotionally cheated on me?" mean. Sounds like an "I allowed myself to..." situation.
  • tiffanyvc
    Options
    I think Valentine's day is more fun when you're dating someone new - it's an excuse to go do something fun or buy each other candy or something silly. Now that I'm married, we tend to avoid going out or doing anything, because everywhere is too crowded or busy. Forget about going out to eat - even Olive Garden has a two hour wait. The movies? You'll be sitting on the front row if you don't get there an hour before the show starts.
    -
    - Hubby and I just stay home now. And we don't buy each other gifts. We'd rather do something meaningful together when it means something to US.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    People talk about the crass commercialization of Christmas / "the" holidays. I don't get that at all, because I love to give and receive gifts around that time of year, which costs money.

For me, Valentine's Day is just an excuse to buy *kitten* for your SO, sort of like St. Patrick's Day and Cinco de Mayo are really, for most of us, just excuses to get drunk in the morning on a week day. I try to be a good husband all of the time, but every other year or so will give a nod to the holiday and get her flowers or, the original V-day present from our college years, an avocado.
  • RealMarkD
    RealMarkD Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Nope, just another day.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    God no. Not only does it mean that I can't possibly screw it up, or not live up to someone's expectations, but if you really are interested in getting a date, asking a girl out this time of year is an almost guaranteed yes.
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Its just another day for me whether I am in a relationship or not. I think those days are over rated and very commercialized just for ppl to spend money. They are the worst days to go out to dinner, there's always major wait time. I feel the same about Mother's & Father's day.
  • losethe23
    losethe23 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Nope, and it annoys me when single people complain about it all time time. People don't have moms on mother's day and fathers on father's day. So boo hoo is you're single on valentines day. Sorry lol just gets on my nerve. :P
  • donna710
    donna710 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    hold the phones...what does "emotionally cheated on me?" mean. Sounds like an "I allowed myself to..." situation.

it basically means "mental infidelity". Never anything physical...just emails, phone calls, lunches, gifts.... it's cheating of the mind and not the body I guess..... I still hated it!

• gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't need a certain day to demonstrate my love for someone. That should be on the daily when in a relationship. Least that's how I feel.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    not in the least
  • Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    losethe23 wrote: »
    Nope, and it annoys me when single people complain about it all time time. People don't have moms on mother's day and fathers on father's day. So boo hoo is you're single on valentines day. Sorry lol just gets on my nerve. :P

U-mad-bro.jpg