Metabolism issues

Options
I'm a 31 year old mother of 3. I lost weight before getting pregnant with baby #3 but now it seems to be at a stand still. Can anyone help with ways to boost my metabolism?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism doesn't need a boost. You need only a caloric deficit. Are you weighing and measuring your food?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Your metabolism doesn't need a boost. You need only a caloric deficit. Are you weighing and measuring your food?

Yep. Eat less, move more.
  • MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    You can boost your metabolism by increasing your muscle mass.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism doesn't need a boost.
    Actually, you don't know this, Lifting4Lis. Twins_mommy, you can consult with your primary care doc about any metabolic issues you may have going on, and also get some help from a registered dietician around your current nutrition needs.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I'm a 31 year old mother of 3. I lost weight before getting pregnant with baby #3 but now it seems to be at a stand still. Can anyone help with ways to boost my metabolism?

Exercise increases your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE), meaning you can eat more than if you did not exercise, but you will have to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight.

In fact, the only thing required to shed those pounds is to eat less calories, and exercise is an added plus.

What are your stats? How much do you have to lose?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    Actually, you don't know this, Lifting4Lis. Twins_mommy, you can consult with your primary care doc about any metabolic issues you may have going on, and also get some help from a registered dietician around your current nutrition needs.

99% of people who come on the boards saying they have problems losing weight are inaccurately logging their food and eating more/burning less than they think. If she is 100% weighing and logging every single bite and not losing, then it's time to look into potential medical issues.
  • SLLRunner
    edited February 2015
    Options

I agree with consulting with your doctor for any weight loss concerns, or metabolic issues one might have, but Lifitng's response is correct in the context of the question. The OP just wants some help losing weight, and we are telling her that a calorie deficit is all that's required. Even if the OP had a metabolic issue, she would have to figure out how many calories are required for her to lose weight.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    If you really feel like you might have a metabolic issue, see your primary care doctor and an endocrinologist.

Otherwise, track very accurately, develop good exercise habits and go from there.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I always thought my metabolism was totally borked.

Yeah, I was just eating too much for my age and height.

I even thought I couldn't lose weight because I swore I was eating so few calories and my weight was stuck.

Nope. Turns out I lose weight just fine when I properly weigh and track my intake. I'm 52.

Barring certain medical conditions, your metabolism is likely fine.

Input your stats into MFP, then weigh and measure and log your food.

Eat at a reasonable deficit, and you'll lose weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options

Actually, I know that if she did have a medical problem with her metabolism, she wouldn't be consulting a bunch of strangers on the internet, she would be seeking her physicians advice. So for generalization purposes, her metabolism doesn't need a boost!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    /thread
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Actually, I know that if she did have a medical problem with her metabolism, she wouldn't be consulting a bunch of strangers on the internet, she would be seeking her physicians advice. So for generalization purposes, her metabolism doesn't need a boost!

yes!
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I boosted my metabolism as follows: Bought a food scale, weigh my food accurately and completely, eat at a deficit, and go to the gym everyday.. 66 pounds vanished in 5 months.. METABOLISM BOOSTED!
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Not always.

Some people come here first and have no clue why it's not working. So they poke for advice. Without knowing exactly what issues should send them to see a doctor.

Just so you know there actually a number of metabolic issues which become pronounced and apparent while one is trying to lose weight. Thyroid issues, Adrenal Issues, hormonal issues, Pituitary gland issues to name but a few. All very real, all easily missed and according to the American Medical Association there are millions of people undiagnosed right now.

So while in theory her metabolism may not be broken, and she might not be logging to perfection of the gods perfect. There is still that chance she could legitimately have something wrong.

Please see your doctor as a starting point. A wellness visit is a great idea for adults too.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    BramageOMG wrote: »
    I boosted my metabolism as follows: Bought a food scale, weigh my food accurately and completely, eat at a deficit, and go to the gym everyday.. 66 pounds vanished in 5 months.. METABOLISM BOOSTED!

Ilikethewayyouthink_zps8345e025.jpg
  • tamred69
    tamred69 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I started having these issues soon after I got pregnant with my first child. Turns out my pregnancy triggered thyroid issues. Unfortunately I held off on asking the doctor about it (9 years) and remain very hypothryroid.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

Not always.

Some people come here first and have no clue why it's not working. So they poke for advice. Without knowing exactly what issues should send them to see a doctor.

Just so you know there actually a number of metabolic issues which become pronounced and apparent while one is trying to lose weight. Thyroid issues, Adrenal Issues, hormonal issues, Pituitary gland issues to name but a few. All very real, all easily missed and according to the American Medical Association there are millions of people undiagnosed right now.

So while in theory her metabolism may not be broken, and she might not be logging to perfection of the gods perfect. There is still that chance she could legitimately have something wrong.

Please see your doctor as a starting point. A wellness visit is a great idea for adults too.

Exactly.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    What makes you think that there's something wrong with your metabolism? How long have you been logging your food? Do you use a food scale to weigh all solid foods and measuring cups/spoons for free-pouring liquids?

The only thing of which I know that can significantly "boost metabolism" is exercise. It will raise your TDEE so that you can eat more while losing weight.
  • Twins_mommy09
    Twins_mommy09 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Yes. I log all food. I do use measuring cups for liquid. I drink 128-160oz of water a day and I do workout. I'm not a stranger to losing weight. I have been on MFP for a few years. As I stated before, I have lost weight before....just having a little trouble now. Every persons metabolism isn't the same so I thought I would ask a general question here.
  • Twins_mommy09
    Twins_mommy09 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice