WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options

Replies

• MMinMD
    MMinMD Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    hello all -
    what a great group! After my first post a few days ago I've been reading the discussion and getting lots of great input, feedback and just general friendliness.

Love the quote "hunger is not an emergency!"

Also loved the gif about how long it take to notice weight loss. So true. With probably 130-150 lbs to lose I am trying to focus on short term goals like losing enough this month so that I can sit with my jeans buttoned. But I know it will be late spring before many others notice.

Sylvia, hope you are feeling less pain soon.

Katla - congrats on such a big weight loss! How long did that take?

Thank you all!
    Cindy
    Southern Maryland

• MMinMD
    MMinMD Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Set up a weight loss ticker. Lets see if it works! Hope to see very numbers with 3 digits some day!

14386427.png
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Just skidding in to say hi. Sylvia, so glad you're better!

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • arlene36
    Options
    Just joined this group and looking forward to getting to know you ladies. I'm turning 50 in March and looking to drop some weight and get more active.

Arlene from So. California ☀️
  • noexcuses118
    Options
    I absolutely loved someone’s quote from last month – Don’t reward yourself with food. You are not a dog.” That one is going to stick with me! The problem is finding stuff to reward myself with that is not food.

I was only able to read to page 2 of the posts, but here are my comments so far. I’ll try to catch up tonight.

Barbie Thanks for all the work you do in keeping up this thread. It’s exactly what I need to keep me motivated.

Sally W That was a great video! So inspiring.

Sharon Defrosting a cat??? I think I missed some great posts last month. I really have to keep up!

Strawbc I don’t exactly know what an accountability buddy does, but I’m game if you’re still looking for one.

Lilymay2 Ice fishing? -22 Celsius? I went to a conversion calculator to see how cold would be in Fahrenheit, and that means it’s -7.6 degrees F. Now that’s cold! I live in South Florida, and this morning it was around 60 (Fahrenheit), and everyone at work had their sweaters on. I personally enjoy it cooler and think Florida sometimes gets a little too hot, but I don’t think you could pay me a million dollars to sit in a cabin on a frozen lake, staring into a hole and waiting for a fish to bit. Hope they brought home lots of delicious fresh fish!

Spedangie “I know chapter and verse about most aspects of “good” nutrition. Frequently I ignore what I know!” Well said! My goal this year is to listen to the little nutrition angel sitting on my shoulder more often.

Sweetiepie Wow, you seem to be doing everything right. Maybe up the intensity of your workouts a bit, perhaps by doing intervals? From everything I’ve been reading, that seems to be what people suggest when you hit a plateau.

Kalezme Now I’m inspired to get a pedometer. Which one are you getting? I’m looking at the FitBit but can’t decide which of them to get.

Yodee Fantastic! I’m doing a happy dance for you!

Pipcd Your story is so inspiring. I’m 53 now, and I hope when I get to 55 I’ll be doing all the things you are doing now. Now that I’ve got the logging food down, my next goal is to start consistent exercise.

Have to get back to work before someone discovers me goofing off. (But as far as I'm concerned, this is the really important part of my day.)

CP in South Florida

• crazyDogLady61
    crazyDogLady61 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon dear ladies!

Kalezme, Yodee, Funnygirl4000, Sweetiepie_again, and any other newbies I missed welcome! You will find this a great supportive group to help you with this lifestyle change. (DIET is a four-letter word!)

Sweetiepie_again: My baseline calories is 1200, plus I get to “add back” some for exercise based on what my Up24 band gives me. I will generally only lose 0.5lbs per week at most. I normally stick at one weight for a long time and then sudden the scale shows a 2 or 3 lbs. drop. At 1500 and that much exercise are you really weighing and measure all the food? Are you drinking enough water? Are your measurements changing?

Funnygirl4000: 30 lbs. by June is 7 lbs a month—almost 2 lbs. a week. It is certainly doable but is extremely aggressive. Feel free to keep that as your big goal, but make sure to make lots of little very reachable along the way to keep you on track.

Kalezme: I love my Up24 (high tech pedometer and more). Tracking steps and pushing for a few more is highly motivating for me. You may love wearing the pedometer for that little extra push.

Cindy in Maryland: Welcome. Super good for you for setting little goals. It helps. You ask Katla how long it took her. I lost 70lbs and it was a 3 year journey. I lost 35 lbs using MFP. But I have a new lifestyle that works for me. I started running and yoga.

Abstain vs. moderate: I fall in the moderate category. When I train the dogs for duration skills (like heeling or staying) or focus skills (like retrieving the correct item), I will put I high value treat on a plate on the floor. They can see the reward, but they have to work with me and ignore the treat. Some trainers will never let the dog have the cookie on the plate. (Abstainers). I will normally (not always) release the dog to get the cookie as a reward. (Difference between not now and not ever – moderation). Dogs who are released to the reward will normally work harder on the given task, than those who never get the cookie on the plate. I will open a bag of “junk” (high calorie/low nutrition food) and baggie it into portion sizes, doling it out when I really want it and it fits in the Calories for that day. Not now – maybe later – works well for me.

Looking for the joy in every day, just like my dogs.
    Remember to breathe…

Sally W.
    Oregon

oNgvm8.png

jkBTm8.png

kD1Xm8.png

vatbm8.png

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
    crazydoglady - Abstain vs. moderate: I fall in the moderate category. When I train the dogs for duration skills (like heeling or staying) or focus skills (like retrieving the correct item), I will put I high value treat on a plate on the floor. They can see the reward, but they have to work with me and ignore the treat. Some trainers will never let the dog have the cookie on the plate. (Abstainers).

I fall in the abstain category - when I train my dogs, however, I do reward with the treat.
    with me as a person, I abstained in the beginning.. since I have been at my goal weight for awhile now, I could be in the moderate category if I wanted to, like a hamburger or fries if I wanted but I don't because I choose not to. in my case, I don't miss what I haven't had because I don't even remember what it tastes like. lololol. everyone has a different way of seeing things and there is no one right way to do stuff. you got to do what works for you (and your dogs.. hehe)
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    OK, I was trying to read all the posts but can't catch up in my time allotment. Will come back later to finish pages 4/5.
    Sassy – like you I started small on my steps goal (4000) and I raised it by 500 for Feb. We can do this! Wow, your guys are really getting your acts together. That’s inspiring.

Spedangle – I found an article by Bob Harper (trainer on Biggest Loser) and he said your diet is the most important thing. There was a contestant who exercised like crazy and thought he could eat whatever he wanted and he gained weight. Good luck with your goals, looks like you’re going in the right direction!

Barb – South LA – So glad you enjoyed your trip to CO. My DD#1 said that Parker is one of the healthiest cities in the US.

Beth – what a great idea! Wash you jeans so they are snug to remind you to stay on track. You are a genius!

Renny – beautiful picture of the blue heron. We have quite a few of them that fly down the river behind our house.

Just saw my picture on a post that is a lot of quote’s I don’t even know how to quote!

Tina – congratulations on your success. Keep it up!

Janet – SC – thanks for the idea about the water. I have a jug that holds 32oz so I filled it up and sat it by my computer. Now I’m cold so going to make a cuppa!

Red – I just have to say I love redheads. My DD#1 is a redhead so I’m always looking for red hair. Great job on the running.

Katia – so glad you are getting to fulfill your childhood desire of riding. I agree that learning new things is a key to happiness.

Sally – Oregon – I love skorts for playing golf and goodness knows I still have to lose about 20 lbs. Good thing it’s too cold to wear them now. LOL

Tori – like your goal to call, write or email 2 loved ones/friends each week. So important. Also, Gratitude for the past, Strength for the present – Faith for the Future! Good words to live by

Michele- I remember when you and Vince moved all those rocks. It looks beautiful. You should be very proud of yourself.

Robin – hope today is a better day for you and Bodi

Sylvia – I love the picture of the chameleon. Funny joke today!

Heather – enjoy your holiday. Swimming if an excellent way to work the kinks out of your back.

Smith0116 - Have you ever heard the saying, “ if you’re tired of starting over, stop quitting!” Welcome, you came to the right place.

Allison – that’s a lot of snow shoveling. Be careful of your back.

SueBDew – TX

February Goals:
    1. Drink at least 6 cups of water a day. This has been hard for me this winter but I will do it
    2. Eat at least 5 fruits/veggies a day. This is something I must do!
    3. Begin strength training. Do 2x a week.`

February word: Choices (Thanks Joyce!)

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    First Feb check-in and its already six pages! I skimmed, but know I missed important info.

Sylvia, did you really mean to comment on the microwaved cat and a Frozen party in the same sentence? That was funnier than the joke of the day! Sorry about the kidney stone. That sounds incredibly painful.

Janet, thanks for reminding me that drinking the water is important. I try and then I tend to let it slide.

Thanks to all who mentioned Downton. It reminded me that I haven't watched yet this week.

I did lose weight in January, but nowhere near what I had hoped. Here's to a new month.

Welcome to the newbs!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    Options
    Good evening,

Hope things are going better out east with the weather. We have some snow and cold, but nothing like last year or what you are dealing with out east.

Terri did you try your library to get previous seasons of Downton Abbey.

Sylvia so sorry for your pain. Hope you do not have to go through that again.

Michele love the praying mantis and agree bright fun colors would be great since you'll have it outside. Fun. Love the pool.

Renny the Heron picture was spectacular.

Working most days this week. Still working on not overeating at night. I do fine the rest of the day. I know I am eating because I am tired. Still having trouble getting myself to go to bed earlier.

2015 word: Strength

Just because I see the hook does not mean I have to bite. Really needed this one today with the challenging classroom I had.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Wednesday here and LOVE <3 my FitBit Charge HR. Well worth the Aus$199 I paid. It logs all sorts of stuff for me. MUCH better than the flex.
    It says I did 10321 steps and burned 1284 cals at 110 BPM for my 3,3 mile walk. WOWee
    Training today: 3.3 mile walk (cardio) JJ's Circuit A (chest/tris/booty) will have to check what FitBit says for THAT
    Food = 1831 and fibre = 28
    Having SunRice Teriyaki chicken for lunch.
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Breakfast and lunch out today. I'm still within my calorie goals because I went with my friend to Zumba. Boy does Zumba burn calories! I do feel a bit like I've eaten a box of salt, though.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    smiley-cool05.gif Red, I have been weighing myself twice a day and recording the weight for about five years. I weigh at bedtime in my nightclothes (I wear a nightshirt and socks to bed year round). In the morning I go directly to the bathroom for waste removal and teeth brushing, then weigh myself in my nightclothes. My morning and evening weights are usually about 2 pounds different. I notice the trends in my weight and when a high sodium day shows a weight gain. Yes, I am obsessive, but I've lost weight and kept if off for years, so I guess it works.

smiley-computer004.gif Today I mailed off all the income tax numbers to the accountant....my daily work has paid off.
    smiley-happy110.gif If you want to specifically refer to something someone said, you can click on the word "Quote" at the bottom of their post....then you can delete all the parts of their post that don't pertain to what you want to respond to.....then write your response below the bottom word "Quote" that shows up in the post.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from NW Washington smiley-happy020.gif smiley-happy093.gif

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2015 is "now"---I won't wallow in the past or waste time worrying about the future

February Resolutions
    *walk 19,000 steps a day (this is higher than last month)
    *strength training twice a week (this is the one I still haven't accomplished) smiley-sport017.gif
    *get the income tax numbers compiled and mailed to the accountant
    *Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good--this goes well with my happiness commandment to "Lighten up"

146200.png
  • hoff2002
    hoff2002 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I hope you are all having a wonderful day wherever you are! I heard all the stories about the heavy snow, but somehow there are some things that it's hard to imagine. I kept trying to call this company for the last two days who said they were open 24/7, but when I would call they didn't have anyone to answer the phone. Well, today I finally spoke with someone and she told me that with the snow they had received, when it was plowed, they have to inch into the street because they cannot see if anyone is coming. Somehow the vision of that is just surreal! I really hope that all of you are getting some relief to the snow and icy weather. Here in the south it's cold, but not that cold! Thinking of all of you and saying a prayer! Stay safe and warm!

I finally read all the posts and I made pages of notes, but by the time I had all the notes made, some of the situations had changed, so just let it suffice to say that I am sending hugs and prayers to all those in need and congratulations to all those who are doing such a fantastic job.

I noticed a lot of conversation about drinking water. I read a long time ago that sometimes we mistake thirst for hunger. I think that many times that's what I've been doing. Fortunately, when I just can't find the right food that satisfies my hunger, my DH will suggest that I drink some water before eating something else. It usually works!

Welcome to all the newbies! I hope you find this community as welcoming and supportive as I have.

Barb from South Louisiana

When you encourage others, you in the process are encouraged because you're making a commitment and difference in that person's life. Encouragement really does make a difference. - Zig Ziglar
  • lisac195
    lisac195 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi! Thought I would jump in again this month. I tried to keep up last month and ended up giving up since I couldn't keep up with everyone and felt bad that I couldn't even comment on everyone else's posts. I will try to do better.

January was a tough month for me. I didn't lose even a pound. I started out losing and then had a sinus infection and was put on antibiotics that made my stomach SO upset. It must have wiped out the good bacteria too because I was miserable and bloating too. I kept up pretty well with eating at my daily goal and exercised all but a few days but gained and finally lost back to where I started the month :'(

I hope this month will be better. I am short and not that far from my goal weight (20 pounds to go) but at 1200 net calories I can only lose a half pound a week IF I stay on track. So, if I overestimate my exercise calories and eat them back-it pretty much just puts me in maintenance. Getting SO frustrated.

Anyway, hoping that posting here more often will help me with motivation not to eat that darn caramel corn at work (I do log the calories though) and drink my water and exercise just a little more and a little harder. That's all I can do I guess.

Lisa in Missouri
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 11.56min 14.8amph 3mi = 107cal
    lateral machine- 16min, 32floors, 1950strides, 7resistance , level5, .40mi = 119cal
    sprint/skip/scissors on treadmill- 10min, 10.04average pace, 5.4speed-9.5m 1mi = 169cal
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.38min 12.7amph 1.4mi = 97cal
    ride dome 2 hm- 18.28min, 9amph, 2.7mi = 185cal
    total 677cal.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    lestan - glad your new thingy is working for you!
  • cutec527
    cutec527 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Tina from Arizona and today is my 2nd day of really using Fitness Pal. So far I am very impressed with the daily diet diary and the exercise logger. I know I needed to find a group that fit my age (lol) I am 53 . Anyone that struggles with weight is connected somehow but with my age I have also learned that I will NEVER look like a 20 something. My goal is and has always been to be healthy and to look it :D I am down from my previous weight loss journey by 47 lbs but have noticed the last few weeks my diligence fading away so that's why I am here.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

*Red, I think most experts advise to weigh once a week. The time is not as important as the fact that it should be the same time of day each time. I know I shouldn’t but I weigh every day, first thing in the morning after a trip to the bathroom. I weigh in my pj’s as they don’t vary too much from one pair to the next.

*sweetiepie, Without seeing your food diary or knowing any more about you, the only suggestion I can give is to lower your calories a little bit. The suggestions from MFP are based on averages, so nothing is written in stone. I’m on 1200 calories a day which my doctor agrees with. That doesn’t count adding any calories back for exercise, which I usually don’t do. But then I don’t get the great exercise that you do. Hope that helps. Good luck.

*funnygirl, welcome to the forum. This is a great place for support and you will pick up some useful tips along the way as well.

*Kalez, welcome. It sounds like you have the right attitude to accomplish your goals and this is a great place to get the support you want.

*Gail, I’m glad you are recuperating nicely. Try to enjoy your time off while you have it. 

*Yodee, you are off to a great start. Congrats!! I am Type II also and have recently been able to cut my Metformin from 2 a day to 1. That was a biggie for me. And good for you to be able to wear smaller jeans!!! Good luck in your journey.

*Sylvia
    , so glad you are better. I too had to laugh about the strainer. I got a mental image of me trying to do that. I sure hope that was a one time occurrence for you.

*CP, just come in here for an “at a girl” when you need a reward. If you have reached a big mini-goal then go for a spa day or get a new outfit. There are lots of rewards that don’t pack on the pounds. But a goodie in moderation is certainly allowed. :wink:

*Sometimes I am so lame! I read Leslie’s report on her FitBit Charge HR and thought she said she had 1000+ steps and burned 1284 calories. I thought to myself, “Hey if walking burns more calories than steps, you need to start walking!” Then I re-read it correctly. What a disappointment but much more realistic. Glad you are enjoying it, Leslie.

Lisa, welcome back. I’m sorry you had a bad January but if I only had 20 pounds to go, I’d be pretty stoked. I didn’t lose much in January after doing great in Nov and Dec, but I’m happy with the little that I did lose. We are here for you and cheering you on (to stay away from the caramel corn).

*cutec, you are so wise to get a handle on things before they get out of hand (Like I did :() This is a great place for support and we are happy to have you join us.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed and to all the ladies, I wish you great health and happiness.

My word for now is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

But, I also like opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    in Myrtle Beach, SC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,148 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

During Zumba Activate I was doing the side step and put my right foot down and CRACK it sounded like I broke a bone. I think I just popped it out and back in. I still finished and even went swimming. I wrapped my ankle and iced it and am now sitting in my recliner! There goes my goal of move more and sit less. I will do as my girls did when I coached, wrap it and suck it up. I will still exercise just more carefully.

Barbiecat - thanks for the info on how to make tickers. However, I use my phone and can't access on the app site. I tried my computer and saw the tickers and clicked on it but it wouldn't open...don't know what else to do.

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota