WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options

Replies

• tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Well - I just lost a really long post so this one will be quick.
    Welcome new ladies. Come in and comment often so we can get to know you.

I too am on a doctor endorsed (ordered really) 1200 cal diet. I sometimes eat back some of my exercise calories. 1500 just wasn't doing it. I weight once a week at TOPS.

Lesley I have a Fit Bit Flex now. I'm glad you like your new fancier one.

Heather - clever crow! I am envious of the elephant ride.

Tina - I had a real peace about retiring from teaching last spring. I hope you experience something similar as you contemplate your retirement.

Red and Janet - I know you will enjoy your upcoming trips. They sound lovely!

Brenda - sorry to hear you suffer from chronic depression. I do as well. It can be challenging. Exercise really helps me.

Barb - thanks for the great quote from Zig Ziglar.

Night all -
    TNToni

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Kim - I copied Sylvia's pic of the chameleon to my computer, now I'll put it on my phone so I have it when I go to paint the (I always want to say "firefly" but I know that isn't right) praying mantis. I constantly find it amazing the things that people rave about but I no longer find appealing (like cake and cookies)

Lesley
    - dancing burns more calories, too!

Took Nancie to Charlotte. I don't know, it must be me. Her doc doesn't inspire confidence in me. His reason why the retina detached the second time? "Well, maybe I didn't tighten it enough". He put in an oil bubble (previously she had a gas bubble) and he told her that basically the only restriction she has is she's not to lay on her back for 3 months. She can tutor, drive. To me we're talking your eyes, not a finger.

But when I got back I actually did the Leslie Sansone Start Walking at home DVD. Yea me, I didn't think I'd do it later in the day, but I did.

The plan for tomorrow is to go to yoga and then the deep water class.

We have Mexican Train tonight. When we had Rummikub last month that was the day I took Nancie to Charlotte for her first follow-up. Didn't get home until 6. I'd bought some pizza rolls but there was no way I'd have time to bake them then go to the lady who was hosting's house. Besides, they were calling for bad weather, and I honestly wasn't real crazy about going. So I apologized and didn't go. So I'll take those pizza rolls with me tonight.

Beth
    - what an adventure you had getting your son to the doctor! My heart goes out to you

Everyone expecting/having gotten snow -- stay safe

terri
    - when I first started watching Downton Abbey, I read on the internet synopses of the episodes. It's on PBS stations.

Brenda
    - how wonderful that we're able to help you out.

Tina - happy birthdays . You'll get the retirement thing down.

katla
    - I have no doubt you'll make good choices at those restaurants

Janet - I usually give Vince extra or diffferent food than I have, just like you do with your hubby

aromaine - did I ask you where in northern NJ you are? How well I remember the winters up there. The summers weren't that great either with all the humidity.

red - wishing all the best for your friend and her mother. I usually weigh myself daily on the Wii, but I don't consider that my "official" weigh in. My official one is on Saturday, that's when I weight wearing just my pj's after having gone to the bathroom. The feel of your clothes is a much much better indicator of your weight.

Joyce - yea for winning first place. The first year I bowled my team won first place,too. Even tho I'm not very good, I know I help my team with my high handicap

funnygirl - any question you have, just ask and someone will be more than happy to help you out

kalezme - what part of NC are you from? There are quite a few ladies on here from NC

Welcome anyone new that I may have missed

yodee - dancing right there with ya

Sylvia
    - the only sewing I do is a straight line, like the sides of a tablecloth or repairing a seam. Otherwise, no, I don't sew

pipcd
    - when you were talking about putting the treat where the dog could see it reminded me of when we were training the service dog. We were to take him to a restaurant and put a piece of food on the floor but he wasn't allowed to eat it. He couldn't eat any food from his dish until we told him he could, and there were times when he was eating we were to take the dish away from him (then give it back so he could finish)

Margaret
    - I have trouble not eating at night, too. Like you, I'm fine during the day but at night....now that's a different story. Believe it or not, one of the tips I got from the Wii and it's worked is at night to have something easily digestible like applesauce or tofu. Many times what I do is take silken tofu and mix it with unsweetened cocoa.

Lesley
    - so happy you're so happy with your FitBit Charge HR.

Lisa - just come in here and tell us about your day. If you find something that interests you, comment on it but don't feel bad because you don't coment on many things

Tina from AZ - welcome

Mary - so sorry about your foot.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments about our pool. It took me 5 years to get it, but I'm so happy that I have it. To me, it is just so so relaxing to float in the pool. That's where you'll find me most of the time in the summer.

Michele in NC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Ok ladies, jumped out of my comfort zone today and did a meet up from meetup.com it was a hike at a local park, one I had never heard of … called Brushy Peak the loop we hiked was about 5 miles with 800 feet of elevation change.. and was a killer work out.. I do not usually do these kind of hills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could not take Levi so later in the day did a dog walk.. today’s total 24,000 steps… Oh my.

Heather – I think it is the same here – not always great service at home and not well paid; but better overseas…. Sounds like you are having a great trip! What a funny story with the Crows.

Peachstategal - I do ok being the waitress/barmaid for 1 day; but don’t think I could do it as a regular gig.

Terri in Milwaukee - it is on PBS (public broadcasting…) I googled watch Downton Abbey on line and got this link…http://video.pbs.org/program/masterpiece/

Brenda – You have this figured out!!! Small changes big results… and patience!

Tina – if you are really worried about retiring could you go to part time.. and ease into retirement?

Funnygirl – welcome, just start chating with us, nothing to “join”

Kalezme , yodee– welcome

I read everything, but not much to say tonight… I’m tired and still need to pack as I leave in the morning for 3 days at the beach, don’t know if I’ll have computer access so if not I’ll see everyone on Saturday..

January goals:
    Walk every day - 100%
    Log all bites everyday - 90% and am happy with that
    Do a fun thing every week – I need to work on that….

Feb. goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Plan and do a fun thing every week

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • Mbarrettkyle
    Mbarrettkyle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I have been doing MFP since October, but am new to the discussion boards. I am 53, from the Twin Cities, MN (anyone else??). I am 5/1, and started at 153 in October. I dropped to 141 fairly quickly, 1-2 pounds per week. Since then it has been slower, but not bad considering I did not gain over the holidays. This week I finally got down to 138.5. I have finally reversed the weight gain trend, and gotten over my sugar addiction, praise God. I still have a little sugar with dark chocolate, but eat more protein, lots of vegies and organic food and little non-vegetable carbs. And I feel better!

Goals for now: keep tracking on MFP, weights 3x week, walking 3 more days, at least, sleep 8 hours per night, keep up with the herbs and supplements my naturopath prescribes, keep taking care of me, and lose at least 2 pounds per month. (MFP goal for me is .8 pounds per week.

Word for 2015: Acceptance, starting with radical wholehearted acceptance of me, based on God's radical wholehearted acceptance of me.

I am very glad to see this over 50's group. Is this what MFP calls a fitness tribe??? Because people in tribes lose 50% more than people not in tribes.

Tribe or not, I wish you all the best in your journey toward greater health in 2015.

Margaret
  • Mbarrettkyle
    Mbarrettkyle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Dang, that ticker did not show up on my post!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    yodee congrats on such a great start. You'll be on the cover of some fitness magazine pretty soon!!!!

red I always wear the same real light weight pajamas. No not the same one every night. I buy several sets. They are actually from Walmart. I don't like sleeping in my underpants. Some how they get all bunched up so I am just wearing these light weight PJs. So I get up, go to the bathroom and then weigh. I love my jeans year round so when I go tot he doctor I have jeans and a shirt on. I take my shoes, watch, phone, everything I can off!!!! LOL. I do weigh every day and i know that isn't recommended but I do anyway. When I was recording my weight I only recorded Wednesday's weight.

Michele since you can't sew, can you use a hot glue gun and make a cape or something in the line of clothing. Since this creature is small you wouldn't have to do much. But I think an article of clothing would be fun

I spent the day with my sister today. She still doesn't have the hand of her tablet. It's an RCA and it is kind of cheap. But I helped her explore some things and apps she didn't know about. Her husband is so paranoid about privacy it is kind of hard suggesting what kind of apps to suggest to her. But I love Wikipedia, Dictionary.com, Pandora, things like that. I also hope she can get a good map app with GPS so if she gets terribly lost like she did last fall she can get herself back home. I think it shows how much we have moved on since Mom died 4 years ago. Her birthday is in a couple of days and we really didn't talk about her that much except in some fun ways. Like she said, we had a nice little play date! She was a pre-school teacher for many years so her mind thinks in kids language!

Sylvia I don't know if you have ever been in the hospital and they had to measure ALL of your urine and they put something on your commode. It is frequently called hat because if you turn it upside down it kind of looks like a mans pilgrims hat. Anyway, the strainers the hospital uses have a big enough base that they sit on that 'hat' and it strains all the urine as the urine goes down into the hat. Sometimes the stones are big enough to be easily seen. Other times you have to take a gloved finger and feel around in the strainer to see if there is some teeny tiny stone in there. Now you know more than you probably didn't want to know. BTW, that lesson was free.

Joyce, Indiana
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Mary in Minnesota - It really helps to have an exercise buddy. I lost mine a few years back to the human form of mad cow disease. Lynn definitely kept me honest and didn't let me get away with excuses (I can be pretty good at that). I still miss her

Sylvia in Pittsburgh - I'm glad you are feeling better. Also, how could anyone not see a 7 foot Magnolia tree?

A lot of reading tonight so I didn't comment on much. This silent reflux or whatever it is kept me from any semblance of sleep last night. It was bad enough that I had to opt out of my mandatory first aid training. It's really too bad that our H&S guy didn't act when we told him our certificates were going to be expire. It would have been a one day recertification. Today has been bad for the whole choking/vomiting situation. I am going to sleep in the recliner so I can be more upright and see if that helps

DS has an appointment with the lawyer booked. He has been letting DGD talk to her Mom via phone each day. I don't know if I would have been gracious in the same situation. He just wants the best outcome for that little girl. I doubt she thought he could do this on his own but with our support I am sure he will do just fine.

Hopefully warmer temperatures again tomorrow
    Sharon in Alberta
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Michele in NC - thanks, having a hard time getting to sleep because of it. I love the colors of the chameleon they should look great on your praying mantis! It sounds like you have a fun social life. I enjoy playing Mexican train.

Kim - is a meet up a dating site? Or a workout site? It sounds like you had quite the adventure!

Sylvia - I hope you are feeling better!

Margaret from twin cities MN - I am from Northern Minnesota. Welcome to this site! Congratulations on your accomplishment! We have a lot in common. You will get a lot of support from all the ladies here!

Red - I weigh myself daily after elimination, naked. I have to because it helps me stay on track.

Joyce - I love spending time with my sisters. My DSIL lives close to me and has become my workout buddy. My brother passed away 2 years ago last week and we were finally able to talk about him yesterday. It's hard for her to they were together 24/7 because they ran a adult foster care out of their home. Mom's are very special I'm sorry for your loss.

Sharon - I'm sorry to hear about your friend, that is a horrible disease. It's very nice working out with my DSIL. I hope you find a person to do that with again. I hope you get better soon. That silent reflux sounds terrible. I know from others that it does get better though so hang in there!

Well, I'm going to try to go back to sleep!

Mary from Minnesota
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I am really having a horrible time.. I dont know what is going on, but I am constantly starving.. I try and eat well ,then I crash and burn at night. after I get home I just stuff my face.. I have gained back 17 lbs since last fall and am not happy.. I havent really been exercising..because of the weather. now have to shovel and snow blow, which is good exercise.. we are getting more snow overnight tonight 1-3 inches and then a prolonged storm starting late saterday night going through tuesday morning..
    Dear Lord when is it going to stop!!!!
    I am gressed and had breakfast and will go down and feed my DFIL havent been there in a couple of days, and get his laundry.. then come home and get DH dinner and Lunch together...dont have to work until 1 so that gives me time to do stuff that I need to do here..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,356 Member
    Options
    Update - elephant ride was postponed until tomorrow! We got all kitted out in rain gear, went to reception through horrific downpour and floods and then the driver rang reception and postponed it. Got a few steps in though!
    - Did think about swimming, but it really is a battle to get anywhere so decided to stay in the room. Had a bath and washed my hair instead, :bigsmile:

Big coup this evening - the buffet was about £15 so we went and looked at the a la carte place. All European food, so we went back to the buffet place and I managed to negotiate a deal whereby we only had the rice and curry selection and fresh fruit for dessert. Less than £10 each. Delicious and nutritious. Crab, chicken, vegetables, lentils, relishes. I had a moderate portion, but my guestimate tells me its still high in cals becsuse of the coconut oil used in prep. I just adore papaya with lime juice squeezed over - just one of those things that Nature organised perfectly! :laugh:

Back is holding out despite the long car journey. I wish I could have had a swim, but the walkways are two inches deep in water! Just hope the rain eases off by tomorrow. We have to get up early again -6 am, as the driver wants an early start before it gets too hot! We are seeing the ancient capital of the country, and the 2nd bhodi tree, supposed to be a scion of the one Bhudda sat under for his enlightenment.
    This place is supposed to have 42 varieties of birds, haven't seen a single one yet!

Heather in Sri Lanka.
    27681614.png
  • caddir
    caddir Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Caddi, 57, British IT trainer on the NHS. I have lost 5 stone (70lb) in the past three years and still have two to lose. Because I'm less than 5ft tall I get a bare minimum calories so no leeway at all.

Yesterday DH had hand surgery on what may or not be cancer and I was in such a state yesterday. I managed to keep control whilst out but, oh, when we finally got home at ten last night I went mad! I ate about 800 calories in an hour, most of it low fat stuff like popcorn but some biscuits. 533 calories over goal!

I still don't know if it's cancer.

DH needs me to look after him, it's his right hand, so I'm off work. I feel far more in control at work, when I'm home I eat badly and eat for comfort and out of boredom.

This site is my salvation.
  • Annabel2015
    Annabel2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Going to stop being a lounge lizard and start doing some exercise. "Hunger is not an emergency" - Love it!
    Annabel2015
    New South Wales
    Australia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,093 Member
    Options
    Margaret hope to see you back here. I am a Margaret too and live in St. Paul I sign my post here MNMargaret. You may recognize my picture is from Como Conservatory not far from where you live.
  • jeanneofmalta
    jeanneofmalta Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm new and from Florida and New york state. I hope to saty consisitently on the program designed for me by this site. I get bored after a while and slack off, and then its a dive downwards . I hope being on this site wil give me the encouragement I need.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,356 Member
    Options
    Ladies, there was a glitch in the posting so yesterday's post has only just appeared! Anyway, her I am on Wednesday evening!
    This morning we went to a huge temple complex, which was the BC capital of Sri Lanka. Thousands of monks lived there in a huge city, with enormous water tanks (lakes) and refectories and a hospital. The kings built enormous stupas (Buddhist shrines) to celebrate victory over the Tamils. (The civil war was going on even then)
    We were lucky enough for today to be Independence Day, so the whole world was there, all barefoot, making their offerings. Ordinary families out on a day's holiday. Wearing white and crowding in to pay their respects. The first place we went to was the 2nd bhodi tree which was obviously a site of enormous veneration. Young and old besring lotus flowers.
    Afterwards we saw stupas and the remains of the enormous monasteries and the technology necessary to support such a huge population of monks. Huge stone receptacles which were filled with rice everyday.
    We had a good cheap buffet lunch, £5, and came back for a cup of tea before our elephant ride. We bought a big bag of bananas to give to the elephant while we were on its back, via its trunk, which it lifts up for you to feed it. I was a bit apprehensive about getting onto this strange cage contraption, but I managed it. We saw loads of wonderful birds and lizards.
    Then we came back and went for a swim in the rain.. Lovely pool. Did half a mile.
    Altogether I reckon I have burnt off 592 calories. That makes it possible for me to eat tonight with a clear conscience. :bigsmile:
    On the hotel scales I am the same, but they couod be wildly out I am not pigging out so feel quite pleased about that.
    Another busy day tomorrow. Not quite so early.

Love Heather in Sri Lanka
    27681614.png
  • k2boxlady
    Options
    Good morning ladies. I NEED HELP! I have been doing MFP (again) for 30 days now. The first week was great, of course, with 7 pounds coming off easily. Since then....nothing! I have given up all sodas, fried foods, fast foods, salt and sugar. I have consistently stayed under 1000 calories a day, and have been exercising daily. What am I doing wrong? I really don't want to give up. I have been feeling better since I started this, but I really NEED to see some change in the scales. I was told not to be a prisoner to the scales, but shouldn't there be SOME change....downward hopefully? Words of wisdom.....PLEASE!
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm having a "no good very bad day" and it's only 9am. One son sick, one son upset, big zit on my face, late for work so hurried - and got a $137 speeding ticket, still late to work, knee still too sore to workout, argh! I know compared to some people this is nothing. So I'm still considering myself blessed.

I hit my low weight again this morning. (I'm a bouncer - hit a low then bounce up - but not quite as up as in the past). That usually means I will hit a new low in the next couple days. Yay!

Diana in Northeast Indiana
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day ! ! !

k2boxlady - Wow. 1000 calories with exercise seems so extreme. From what I have read, your body is pretending like it is starving, and holding on to as much fat as possible, and could be burning muscle. I'm certainly not an expert, but I would be cheating left and right from hunger. Are you getting enough nutrients and vitamins?

Heather - LOVE the stories about Sri Lanka. I would be having SO much fun right now. Still envious. Hopefully some day my DH will take me someplace that has nothing to do with bowling ;)

Yesterday's snow really did a number on transportation. I actually got stuck trying to climb a train bridge, and the car behind me gave me a little push, then got stuck on the same patch of ice. After a 75 minute drive home (6.7 miles), there was NO way I was getting back into the car. So, I will have to pay full price for Yoplait yogurt, because the 39 cent sale ended yesterday.

I took a picture of the "Avon Graveyard" before organizing it a little last night, but my computers are still blocking my ability to post pictures. I'll see what I can do with the tablet when I have time.

Thanks for the link for Downton Abbey. I sent it to my home e-mail. Since we have DirecTV and rabbit ears, we do get multiple PBS stations, but for some crazy reason, I can never find it listed. I will keep trying. If nothing else works, I will start borrowing or renting from the library.

Caddi - hugs for your DH and his surgery.

I weigh myself every morning at home, after elimination, in whatever nightclothes I wear, which is usually a different color of the same 2 piece t-shirt and capri. I then weigh myself at work, since the scales each say something different, and will make a difference in my "personal loss" and the contest I'm participating in here at work. Sometimes I don't weigh myself on weekends, because DH is still sleeping, and the scale is in our bedroom.

Hugs to Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • marytyoung
    marytyoung Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! I'm new to this post and have just reconnected with MFP. I lost 40 pounds about 8 years ago and since then gained about 10 of them back by not paying attention. So I'm back with a slow start.

My goals are to walk 6 days a week for at least 30 minutes, and I've been holding to it the last two weeks. I think my slow weight loss has been because I've been eating my extra calories earned through exercise. (and some of that has been a glass of wine!)

A real quick synopsis: I'm 62, retired, husband often points out how I should be doing things, have 3 children with spouses/significant others and 4 grands..including 11 month old twin girls! I like to read (have downloaded audio books to listen to as I walk), smocking for the girls, travel (now that I can)...and want to get in the best shape possible.

I have been following Whole30 guidelines (Paleo) and have decided to continue but with an eye to calorie consumption as well as healthy, unprocessed eating.

So, there you go! I look forward to joining in the conversations. I hope it's not too late!
  • k2boxlady
    Options
    Terri, I started at 1200 calories and with exercise, was not even hitting 1200 so I reduced it to 1000. Staying close but not exceeding it....with calories burned included. I take a One a Day women's vitamin every day and have even had my thyroid checked. Of course, it was normal. I have heart disease (a very small artery 80% blocked but it it too small to catherize) so I get out of breath easily. I walk every day or at least use the elliptical if I can't get outside. I also do Zumba and Jillian Michaels 30 day shred to mix it up some. I am 53, 5'6" and right now, after the 7 lb loss, weight 198. I am open to suggestions.
    Thanks!
    Karen in VA