Starting a juice re-boot!

Options
123457»

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    ellischase wrote:
    this is something I'd like to try for 15 days, that's it. I'd love it if it gave me the momentum to keep going with healthy eating and exercise
    To "keep going" with something, you have to be doing it in the first place.
    A "juice fast" is not healthy eating. I don't know how many other (very clear) ways we can say it.
  • pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Honestly, you really shouldn't do anything you don't plan on doing for the rest of your life. The process of losing weight is to teach you how you need to eat when you have lost that weight. A lot of people focus far too much on 'getting there' than learning the kind of things they need to know once they are there.

There's no way you'll be able to live off just juice for the rest of your life, so you shouldn't even attempt this. Because once it's over, you won't have learned a thing about how to moderate and maintain a way of eating that will see you through the rest of your life.

Juicing won't really accomplish anything for you, it strips the fruits and vegetables of most of their fiber and doesn't fill you up the way eating does. You're most likely just going to end up making yourself very hungry and being hungry is one of the worst ways to lose weight. Despite what people think, you don't have to feel deprived or deprive yourself of anything. A good balance is the best way to go, and yes that balance can include cookies and pizza.

Have a little patience with the process. You don't need quick fixes to get there. :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you really shouldn't do anything you don't plan on doing for the rest of your life. The process of losing weight is to teach you how you need to eat when you have lost that weight. A lot of people focus far too much on 'getting there' than learning the kind of things they need to know once they are there.

There's no way you'll be able to live off just juice for the rest of your life, so you shouldn't even attempt this. Because once it's over, you won't have learned a thing about how to moderate and maintain a way of eating that will see you through the rest of your life.

Juicing won't really accomplish anything for you, it strips the fruits and vegetables of most of their fiber and doesn't fill you up the way eating does. You're most likely just going to end up making yourself very hungry and being hungry is one of the worst ways to lose weight. Despite what people think, you don't have to feel deprived or deprive yourself of anything. A good balance is the best way to go, and yes that balance can include cookies and pizza.

Have a little patience with the process. You don't need quick fixes to get there. :)

I don't know. I could see a strict break from normal habits to try and retrain your brain. Kind of like going on vacation, you're not going to do it every day, but sometime a break is nice. That said, I wouldn't recommend taking a trip to shark infested waters covering yourself in various cuts of beef to "see what would happen".

OP, I understand the intent of the juice "reboot", but there are healthier ways to retrain your brain. As others have said, you can add juice to your diet. Swap it for snacks you might want to try. You could resolve to eat nothing but home prepared foods for a month. You could cut out "processed foods" (however you define that) if you wanted to. There's a paleo "reboot" program that's very strict called the Whole30.

All of those methods are somewhat restrictive (which you seem to be looking for), but would allow you to hit your daily calorie goal plus will provide you with your macro and micronutrients that your body needs.
  • HeartyHealthy
    HeartyHealthy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    WOW! You folks have totally FAILED this person I am ashamed of you all. Everyone is so anti-Juicing and anti-fasting. Juicing is a great tool anyone who is truly educated and done it would know better. This OP did not come here to be lectured. I do not think She said she would be on this indefinitely but needed a re-set. To make her cry is just inexcusable.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    WOW! You folks have totally FAILED this person I am ashamed of you all. Everyone is so anti-Juicing and anti-fasting. Juicing is a great tool anyone who is truly educated and done it would know better. This OP did not come here to be lectured. I do not think She said she would be on this indefinitely but needed a re-set. To make her cry is just inexcusable.

I'm surprised this thread is still going.

No one lectured the OP. We gave advice which is what she asked for. Not telling the OP what she wants to hear does not equal lecturing. Many of us are speaking on past experiences of juicing and fasting. Please provide proof (meaning peer reviewed study) that the body needs a reset... Last I checked the body isn't a computer needing a reboot. And for the record... I am educated.. holding two degrees in the medical field.

And speaking of lectures...isn't that what you just kind of did?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

No one lectured the OP. We gave advice which is what she asked for. Not telling the OP what she wants to hear does not equal lecturing. Many of us are speaking on past experiences of juicing and fasting. Please provide proof (meaning peer reviewed study) that the body needs a reset... Last I checked the body isn't a computer needing a reboot. And for the record... I am educated.. holding two degrees in the medical field.

45204308.jpg
  • marie3221
    marie3221 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Ellischase wrote: »
    From the many posts I've read of people who have done it, it seems like it is tortuous - but really only the first week. After that they feel great and continue on to their goal. And once the fast is over they've learned the benefits of micro-nutrients. I'm sure plenty have reverted back to old habits. I'd like to be part of the plenty that have done this and never want to go back.

I'd really love just support and encouragement and partners who are with me.

I hope I am not repeating what someone else said but have you seen the second video Cross did? He gained the weight back, not all of it, but he did gain weight back after going off the juice/vegan diet. just saying.....
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

She got plenty of great advice and points showing that fasting under a VLCD juice diet is not healthy, nor is it conducive to long term successful weight loss. She was never lectured, nor can we control her emotions in response to said posts. Juicing IS a good tool when combined with other healthy habits. To live off of juice for two weeks or more is not healthy, nor advisable. Supplementing lifestyle changes with juice, however, can be a very useful way to fit more fruits and vegetables into one's intake.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

And speaking of lectures...isn't that what you just kind of did?
    ilu. <3
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

I'm ashamed of you thinking it's alright for person to drink nothing but juice!! JS
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Truly educated and saying juicing is a great "addition" to a well laid out plan of weight loss that involves consumption of food to meet macro/micro nutrient essentials for an individual. Helping to steer the person in the right direction isn't wrong or unsupportive.
    Is the correct approach to cheer and say "way to go" so they can feel good knowing full well that it isn't the correct approach?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png