Foods that have FEWER calories than you thought

Options
ashleycde
ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
There was a recent thread about foods that had MORE calories than you thought when you started weighing them or paying attention to labels, but are there any foods that have fewer calories than you thought?

I love French bread. I used to eat a lot of it. When I started counting calories I kind of stopped bothering with it because for some reason I had this idea in my head that it was much more calorie dense than other breads. It's just so good, it has to be, right? Last night I had a craving for smoked salmon, which I love on French bread, so I bought a loaf. Only 130 calories per 50 g. 3 good sized, thick, diagonally cut pieces I used for breakfast this morning were only 37 g, or 96 cal. That's a lot less than I thought it would be, anyway.

Frozen fruit's another one. The weight listed on the package (i.e., 140 or 1 cup) is always a lot more than I can get in a cup.

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    <pedantry>I think you mean FEWER calories.</pedantry>

I was pleasantly surprised that I could eat so much air-popped popcorn for so few calories.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    <pedantry>I think you mean FEWER calories.</pedantry>

I was pleasantly surprised that I could eat so much air-popped popcorn for so few calories.

Bless you for the first part of your post

Strawberries. I was really surprised that I could have so many for the calories.
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Yes. Hash browns. Granted they pick up the oil that they are cooked in, but they are fewer calories for the portion that I would like to eat than what I was expecting.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Fish.
    Popcorn.
    Most vegetables.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, my mother teaches English, so I'm relatively used to being scolded in this area. Title corrected, happy?

Popcorn, yes, I was pleasantly surprised at that one too.
  • PammieSuzyQ
    PammieSuzyQ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Blackberries, raspberries, blueberries! I add 1/4 to a 1/2 cup to my yogurt, adds between 15 to 32 calories and not much sugar. i NEVER EVER buy fruited yogurts anymore!!!
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Mmm, I love French bread!!!

Honestly I'd say most veggies have WAY fewer calories than I had originally thought. It still amazes me when I'm adding in a bunch of veggies for a meal and do not see the calories start to jump up until I add bread or meat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    When I first started out? Raw or steamed vegetables. What great bang for your buck!

fish as well.

Pumpkin is a recent A-ha for me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My bowlful of salad. Puffed wheat squares.
  • Canwehugnow
    Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Fish
    Popcorn
    Grilled chicken
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Lunchmeat.
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Gummi bears.

I don't even care. I just had 18 of them for 110 calories. Om, nom, nom.
  • theflyingpelican
    theflyingpelican Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Motha-f%&*ing steamed cauliflower. And shredded parmesan. You can eat a gigantic bowl full for like 100 calories.
  • krmsotherhalf68
    krmsotherhalf68 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Baked eggplant. In fact, I use an entire eggplant sliced lengthwise and baked as a substitute for pasta. When hubby has his usual pasta dinner, I make a tray full of eggplant. I top it with my own homemade meat sauce using ground chicken or turkey breast. DELISH!
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Cadbury creme eggs....150 calories per egg and not the mini ones. I know the eggs aren't THAT large, but they are so rich and sweet that one egg is all I could eat pre-eating better anyway.

I haven't eaten one yet because my weight has been in Flux lately, but oh so tempting.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese- even though the back says a serving is 1/2 cup, when you measure it, you get a crap ton for only 90 cals. love it.
  • krmsotherhalf68
    krmsotherhalf68 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Another favorite of mine is tapioca pudding. I've discovered that I can make a package using Unsweetened regular or vanilla almond milk (I use slightly less than the 2 cups called for on the box). And I can have a cup of this for a mere 170 calories. Feels decadent to me (but it's not high in cals) and it's delightful tasting! NOTE: Never use a wooden spoon to mix this - for some reason, the pudding picked up the taste from the wood the first time I made this. Only use a metal spoon now.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Grass fed ground sirloin. I usually need more fat for my specific diet plan, though. But I know what to go to if I ever need more protein and less calories.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Popcorn (air popped), yogurt (fat free).

On the flip side, I've recently discovered that raisins are a lot more calorific than I expected, I can't be careless measuring those or sneak a small handful.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not - chocolates.

Had a client bring in a box of chocolates today, and found I could enjoy a piece for only 60-ish calories...I may go have a couple more!