How do you deal with work?

Options

Replies

• whiteoutpen
    whiteoutpen Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Maybe they can buy you an expensive fruit basket every morning then ;)

Now you're speaking of the things I dream of <3:p
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    maxit wrote: »
    What I realized was that for me, the first bite was the deal breaker. So I never ate that first bite of break room stuff.

This is me. If I don't have any of the snacks, I can walk past it all day no problem. But if I have one bite, I'll be back there 3, 4, 5 times lol. I bring my lunch & try to just stick with that.

I also agree with the suggestion that you politely ask them to not buy you food.

I definitely feel that pain. We work in a small one room office, so they leave the food right in here and I can smell it and omg. Sometimes the struggle can be so real. I totally agree that once I break for the first time in the day, I'm more likely to go back and have more.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Don't take this the wrong way, but you're responsible for your own eating decisions. Either eat it, log it, and make room for it or don't eat it. It really is as simple as that.

I agree, I'm completely in control of my own eating decisions. I just needed some tips when I'm getting served unhealthy food on a silver platter. Definitely not the worst problem in the world, but I figured y'all could give me the best advice of anyone :)
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Same here. But I just bring lots of food to work and don't eat what I normally wouldn't eat. I will indulge on occasion. Its all about self-control.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I bring my own food 100% of the time. No excuses. And I have a rule that if it's out and free, it's not for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I bring my food with me to work 95% of the time (time permitting, some mornings are harder than others), so I'm definitely never lacking in healthier choices. I just feel bad when I come to work and they walk in with smoothies or burritos for everyone and then I have to either eat it or throw it away. There's only four of us in the front office, so they buy one for each of us. And then the box of doughnuts just sits on the cabinet next to my desk calling my name :'(

It's definitely more of a guilt thing than me really wanting the food for the most part. Aside from the orange "Super C" smoothies they bring sometimes. I could drink those every day..

Why can't you simply say, "no thanks...I already had breakfast/lunch." You say that you understand that you are in control of your eating decisions...your problem is simply that you're not exercising that control.

Do you maybe get some weird looks at first? Sure...but who the *kitten* cares. I'm going on 2.5 years of good livin' and people are for the most part are used to the way I live. I do participate in formal work functions and celebrations...but most of my fellow colleagues are pretty used to the fact that I brown bag it...that I ride pretty much every day at lunch, etc. It's not so weird to them anymore, and even if it is, it doesn't bother me being known as "the fit guy" at the office..which I am.
  • theoryofempire
    Options
    Pack a lot of snacks and prelog them for the day. This way you know what you can munch on when everyone else is having doughnuts. My manager likes to throw candy at us, and it's really easy to pull something out of my bag when I have the munchies instead of eating candy
  • Vcorz
    Vcorz Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Don't eat it....work is what caused my weight to skyrocket! Other ex-skinnies in my office too.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I bring my food with me to work 95% of the time (time permitting, some mornings are harder than others), so I'm definitely never lacking in healthier choices. I just feel bad when I come to work and they walk in with smoothies or burritos for everyone and then I have to either eat it or throw it away. There's only four of us in the front office, so they buy one for each of us. And then the box of doughnuts just sits on the cabinet next to my desk calling my name :'(

It's definitely more of a guilt thing than me really wanting the food for the most part. Aside from the orange "Super C" smoothies they bring sometimes. I could drink those every day..

Why can't you simply say, "no thanks...I already had breakfast/lunch." You say that you understand that you are in control of your eating decisions...your problem is simply that you're not exercising that control.

Do you maybe get some weird looks at first? Sure...but who the *kitten* cares. I'm going on 2.5 years of good livin' and people are for the most part are used to the way I live. I do participate in formal work functions and celebrations...but most of my fellow colleagues are pretty used to the fact that I brown bag it...that I ride pretty much every day at lunch, etc. It's not so weird to them anymore, and even if it is, it doesn't bother me being known as "the fit guy" at the office..which I am.

I understand that I'm responsible for my own eating decisions, but I feel bad when they buy me things and I say no. I hate being wasteful, but I understand I need to be more firm in saying no and try to decline preemptively. I've been primarily good at exercising control, I just wanted some tips on how everyone else says no. Sometimes sheer willpower just isn't cutting it, sadly. But thanks for the advice! :)
  • awesomedjmcvey
    awesomedjmcvey Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am very open about it with my peeps. I also am very loud about if the company buys lunch to offer a healthy option. Now there is always something for me. Alot of the time it is a veggie tray or power bar but atleast they think about it. I also always keep protein bars and other items that I can eat at my desk in case something not so good is brought in.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Coffee cups are great social props. You're performing the socialization behavior of consuming. No-one ever looks to see what is in the cup, but you're participating, so you're part of the group.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    I am very open about it with my peeps. I also am very loud about if the company buys lunch to offer a healthy option. Now there is always something for me. Alot of the time it is a veggie tray or power bar but atleast they think about it. I also always keep protein bars and other items that I can eat at my desk in case something not so good is brought in.

Yeah, I think I just need to be more vocal about eating healthy and try to solidify the fact that I don't really want unhealthy food. I just don't like drawing too much attention to the fact. Ideally, I wouldn't be talking about eating healthier period, but it's what I've had to do while declining the food. It's not something that I want to share with the world but I've gotten better about it, thankfully.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Practicing self-control is the one thing you need to do. Food at work is no different than the food at my house. I keep my refrigerator and cabinets filled with all kind of foods and booze. At the end of the day, it's up to me to stick to my plan or screw it up. I will not screw it up.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    Coffee cups are great social props. You're performing the socialization behavior of consuming. No-one ever looks to see what is in the cup, but you're participating, so you're part of the group.

That's a good tip, I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to keep that in mind, thank you!
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    Branstin wrote: »
    Practicing self-control is the one thing you need to do. Food at work is no different than the food at my house. I keep my refrigerator and cabinets filled with all kind of foods and booze. At the end of the day, it's up to me to stick to my plan or screw it up. I will not screw it up.

At home, I'm able to control what comes through. Sure, my roommates bring in unhealthy food more often than not, but it's their food so it's typically off limits. I try my hardest to not buy unhealthy foods because I know I won't be able to refrain from eating them if I have them around. At work, I can't really control what they bring in wherein lies my problem.
  • szkodzt
    szkodzt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I work in a large office where there is always some kind of food and rarely is it healthy. I used to eat most of it but one day realized that I was only eating it because it was there, not because I really liked it. For example, many times people bring in left over cake from a birthday party. Day old store bought cake? I didn't even really like it but was eating it anyway - how ridiculous!

Now I bring in food from home everyday that I preplan and also have a stock of healthy options at my desk in case I get hungry (nuts, protein bars, etc). I do still partake in some of the work food, but only if it is something really good!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    You don't really need to be vocal about it if you don't want to. I mean, fine, that works for some people. But if it's in your personality to be more reserved and not to want to draw attention to your weight loss efforts, that's fine too. In fact, it's probably more professional in most office environments.

Don't apologize, don't explain. Just smile and say no thank you. You don't owe them any explanation beyond that.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Don't eat it.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Unless they are buying an individual meal or snack specifically for you - I wouldn't say anything to them. I'm assuming they are bringing things in for the entire group to share/divide. Just say "Thanks but I brought my own lunch today..." and leave it at that.

I will say someone bringing Krispy Kreme donuts to my office when I was on my very first weight loss journey was impossible for me to resist...and nobody else was eating them. I couldn't let them go to waste. OMG...KK donuts are about the only thing that I can not resist if they are in front of me, and I WILL binge on them if I don't take control of myself.

At my office, vendors frequently bring in treats for us (to entice us to do business with them.) I avoid the break room at all costs. I only go in there to refill my water pitcher. I don't look at the table. LOL. Because if there is a KK donut there, I just might eat it.

So I make sure I have my own snacks and lunches at the office. It's just not worth it to me.