How do you deal with work?

Options

Replies

• whiteoutpen
    whiteoutpen Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    You don't really need to be vocal about it if you don't want to. I mean, fine, that works for some people. But if it's in your personality to be more reserved and not to want to draw attention to your weight loss efforts, that's fine too. In fact, it's probably more professional in most office environments.

Don't apologize, don't explain. Just smile and say no thank you. You don't owe them any explanation beyond that.

My only issue with this part is they're the type of people who ask "why not?" if you decline their offer for food. Definitely not to be rude or nosy, if that makes sense. They're feeders, I guess. I don't really know how to explain it. I think it's more they know that most people are just saying no to be polite, and they genuinely want you to have some. I don't know if that made sense.
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If it is something you like or want to eat but you have already eaten, just take some to eat for later. If it doesn't fit into your food plan, don't take any. Some people can be very pushy, but it really is up to you what you eat. If they persist, you can always have a private conversation with them later.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    You don't really need to be vocal about it if you don't want to. I mean, fine, that works for some people. But if it's in your personality to be more reserved and not to want to draw attention to your weight loss efforts, that's fine too. In fact, it's probably more professional in most office environments.

Don't apologize, don't explain. Just smile and say no thank you. You don't owe them any explanation beyond that.

My only issue with this part is they're the type of people who ask "why not?" if you decline their offer for food. Definitely not to be rude or nosy, if that makes sense. They're feeders, I guess. I don't really know how to explain it. I think it's more they know that most people are just saying no to be polite, and they genuinely want you to have some. I don't know if that made sense.

You just need to learn to be firm, but polite.

If they ask "why not" all you need to respond is "I don't care for any right now, thank you."

If they keep asking, repeat the same answer over and over until they get it through their thick skull.

In my experience, the more you try to explain away or excuse away, the more ammo that gives them to come back with a rebuttal.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Unless they are buying an individual meal or snack specifically for you - I wouldn't say anything to them. I'm assuming they are bringing things in for the entire group to share/divide. Just say "Thanks but I brought my own lunch today..." and leave it at that.

I will say someone bringing Krispy Kreme donuts to my office when I was on my very first weight loss journey was impossible for me to resist...and nobody else was eating them. I couldn't let them go to waste. OMG...KK donuts are about the only thing that I can not resist if they are in front of me, and I WILL binge on them if I don't take control of myself.

At my office, vendors frequently bring in treats for us (to entice us to do business with them.) I avoid the break room at all costs. I only go in there to refill my water pitcher. I don't look at the table. LOL. Because if there is a KK donut there, I just might eat it.

So I make sure I have my own snacks and lunches at the office. It's just not worth it to me.

It's a mix of both. They'll bring in boxes of doughnuts and things like that, but then they also bring in a breakfast burrito/smoothie/etc. for each of us and leave it on our desk. So then I don't know what to do with it, especially because it's usually out of no where and they don't ask beforehand. I've done well with ignoring the things that are left out for everyone (like massive containers of chocolate covered raisins and almonds.. heart breaking) but the personalized things are harder to ignore for me.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Branstin wrote: »
    Practicing self-control is the one thing you need to do. Food at work is no different than the food at my house. I keep my refrigerator and cabinets filled with all kind of foods and booze. At the end of the day, it's up to me to stick to my plan or screw it up. I will not screw it up.

At home, I'm able to control what comes through. Sure, my roommates bring in unhealthy food more often than not, but it's their food so it's typically off limits. I try my hardest to not buy unhealthy foods because I know I won't be able to refrain from eating them if I have them around. At work, I can't really control what they bring in wherein lies my problem.

It's not about roommates or co-workers bringing in food because temptations will always be present whether at home or elsewhere. It is about the food you allow to pass through your mouth. There isn't anything wrong with eating some of it if you work the calories into your budget. Otherwise, look at the office food the same way you look at the food your roommates buys. Off limits!

Another option would be to keep snacks in your desk for those occasions food is brought into the office. I keep 100-calorie snacks, low-sodium trail mix, protein bars, and powder in my desk.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    It took a while, but once you say "no thank you" enough times, they may stop asking. That is what happened to me. If someone is ordering take out, they don't even bother to ask me. I am good with that. I pack my own breakfast, lunch and snacks everyday. We do have food days to celebrate birthdays or other things. Those are tougher for me because the food is just there for the taking. I love the snacks and stuff like that.

Recently we had a food day and I brought some high calorie dessert, more than once person commented on how I am the healthy eater of the department and I brought the high calorie dessert....I love to bake and they will eat it :)
  • Brimixed
    Brimixed Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I agree with telling people 'no thank you!' It's not being rude, it's a lifestyle and a life choice! I still join them and have my lunch or snack with them. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I bring my food with me to work 95% of the time (time permitting, some mornings are harder than others), so I'm definitely never lacking in healthier choices. I just feel bad when I come to work and they walk in with smoothies or burritos for everyone and then I have to either eat it or throw it away. There's only four of us in the front office, so they buy one for each of us. And then the box of doughnuts just sits on the cabinet next to my desk calling my name :'(

It's definitely more of a guilt thing than me really wanting the food for the most part. Aside from the orange "Super C" smoothies they bring sometimes. I could drink those every day..

Why can't you simply say, "no thanks...I already had breakfast/lunch." You say that you understand that you are in control of your eating decisions...your problem is simply that you're not exercising that control.

Do you maybe get some weird looks at first? Sure...but who the *kitten* cares. I'm going on 2.5 years of good livin' and people are for the most part are used to the way I live. I do participate in formal work functions and celebrations...but most of my fellow colleagues are pretty used to the fact that I brown bag it...that I ride pretty much every day at lunch, etc. It's not so weird to them anymore, and even if it is, it doesn't bother me being known as "the fit guy" at the office..which I am.

I understand that I'm responsible for my own eating decisions, but I feel bad when they buy me things and I say no. I hate being wasteful, but I understand I need to be more firm in saying no and try to decline preemptively. I've been primarily good at exercising control, I just wanted some tips on how everyone else says no. Sometimes sheer willpower just isn't cutting it, sadly. But thanks for the advice! :)

are they buying something specifically for you without asking or are they just going out and picking up some sandwiches or whatever and making sure they have enough if everyone wants to partake?

We have regular working lunch meetings and often lunch will be brought in...it's a nice courtesy...but there are always some slices of pizza or boxes of sandwiches left over because not everyone partakes...I've never seen them get in anyone's business for not partaking in a provided lunch.

I don't even think you need to be vocal about it...you just need to get over this feeling bad about not eating something that's laying around and "free".
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

You just need to learn to be firm, but polite.

If they ask "why not" all you need to respond is "I don't care for any right now, thank you."

If they keep asking, repeat the same answer over and over until they get it through their thick skull.

In my experience, the more you try to explain away or excuse away, the more ammo that gives them to come back with a rebuttal.

Therein lies my problem, I'm not good at being firm and standing my ground. I'm more of a people pleaser :# But I've had to change a lot of my habits to get to where I am now, so I'm sure I can figure out how to change this one. 50 pounds didn't just fall off overnight.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »

Just say you're not hungry or you're doing a program. I understand the hard line some people feel they need to take but most people offering food are just trying to be friendly. If you're friendly back and talk a little bit about what's going on most people are pretty receptive.

That's what I'm hoping for. I'll definitely try to just decline and maybe say a bit about it, and then hopefully they'll understand I'm just trying to better myself. I just feel bad when they're being friendly and then I decline, you know?
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Just like at home I shop.
    BNCZlWIdWAGjuyldyfSjFGtvTnLhiZinCygE-610xh.jpg
    Then I take over space in the fridge (not pictured) and I stock up my desk to have food always on hand.
    yPrYoRuuAdvTNcBIUfGnKwABlVcLgYHbAbvn-610xh.jpg
    My Food Ramp is always loaded, ready to go.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Bring yr own stuff then say "no thanks I already ate." Eventually they will get the message.
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    I bring my food with me to work 95% of the time (time permitting, some mornings are harder than others), so I'm definitely never lacking in healthier choices. I just feel bad when I come to work and they walk in with smoothies or burritos for everyone and then I have to either eat it or throw it away. There's only four of us in the front office, so they buy one for each of us. And then the box of doughnuts just sits on the cabinet next to my desk calling my name :'(

It's definitely more of a guilt thing than me really wanting the food for the most part. Aside from the orange "Super C" smoothies they bring sometimes. I could drink those every day..

Why can't you simply say, "no thanks...I already had breakfast/lunch." You say that you understand that you are in control of your eating decisions...your problem is simply that you're not exercising that control.

Do you maybe get some weird looks at first? Sure...but who the *kitten* cares. I'm going on 2.5 years of good livin' and people are for the most part are used to the way I live. I do participate in formal work functions and celebrations...but most of my fellow colleagues are pretty used to the fact that I brown bag it...that I ride pretty much every day at lunch, etc. It's not so weird to them anymore, and even if it is, it doesn't bother me being known as "the fit guy" at the office..which I am.

I understand that I'm responsible for my own eating decisions, but I feel bad when they buy me things and I say no. I hate being wasteful, but I understand I need to be more firm in saying no and try to decline preemptively. I've been primarily good at exercising control, I just wanted some tips on how everyone else says no. Sometimes sheer willpower just isn't cutting it, sadly. But thanks for the advice! :)

are they buying something specifically for you without asking or are they just going out and picking up some sandwiches or whatever and making sure they have enough if everyone wants to partake?

We have regular working lunch meetings and often lunch will be brought in...it's a nice courtesy...but there are always some slices of pizza or boxes of sandwiches left over because not everyone partakes...I've never seen them get in anyone's business for not partaking in a provided lunch.

I don't even think you need to be vocal about it...you just need to get over this feeling bad about not eating something that's laying around and "free".

It's definitely bought specifically for us and left on our desks or they come in and hand it directly to us. There's only four of us in the office, so it's not many people to buy for. Like the boxes of doughnuts are just left around, so they're easy enough to avoid. But it's when they give it directly to us where I struggle.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    My solution I work from home. Priceless!!!! No money spent on work clothes, gas or food. Another perk I don't have to deal with all that office BS. o:)
  • otheliemoor
    otheliemoor Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I started bringing easy to share fruit and berries and put them next to the cookies and candy. People still bring cookies and candy to share, but more people have started bringing grapes instead.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    "Why not?" = "Doctor's orders."
  • whiteoutpen
    Options
    Practicing self-control is the one thing you need to do. Food at work is no different than the food at my house. I keep my refrigerator and cabinets filled with all kind of foods and booze. At the end of the day, it's up to me to stick to my plan or screw it up. I will not screw it up.

At home, I'm able to control what comes through. Sure, my roommates bring in unhealthy food more often than not, but it's their food so it's typically off limits. I try my hardest to not buy unhealthy foods because I know I won't be able to refrain from eating them if I have them around. At work, I can't really control what they bring in wherein lies my problem.

It's not about roommates or co-workers bringing in food because temptations will always be present whether at home or elsewhere. It is about the food you allow to pass through your mouth. There isn't anything wrong with eating some of it if you work the calories into your budget. Otherwise, look at the office food the same way you look at the food your roommates buys. Off limits!

Another option would be to keep snacks in your desk for those occasions food is brought into the office. I keep 100-calorie snacks, low-sodium trail mix, protein bars, and powder in my desk.

I should definitely start thinking of it as off limits, that's a good idea. Thank you for the tip. I always have a bunch of fruit and vegetables that I can snack on for whenever I'm hungry, and I usually have a little bag of crackers or something if I get the urge for something saltier. I'm good when I have a lot of low-calorie things I can snack on mindlessly if the urge comes.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm in medical school and we are always presented with free (not healthy) lunches for different talks and seminars. Sometimes the food is brought back to where we study and we celebrate people's birthdays with lots of food and cake. I just bring my own lunch no matter what OR go get a salad in the food court (dressing on the side). I just don't let it be an option for me. And to be honest that was where I was getting myself into the most trouble before. So mentally I just don't allow it to be an option for me.
  • aeviescas
    aeviescas Posts: 26 Member
    Options

It's a mix of both. They'll bring in boxes of doughnuts and things like that, but then they also bring in a breakfast burrito/smoothie/etc. for each of us and leave it on our desk. So then I don't know what to do with it, especially because it's usually out of no where and they don't ask beforehand. I've done well with ignoring the things that are left out for everyone (like massive containers of chocolate covered raisins and almonds.. heart breaking) but the personalized things are harder to ignore for me.

Remember: if your bosses mean well, they will be supportive of your health decisions. They like being generous, and being clear about your lifestyle means they have more opportunities to be thoughtful.

Forming healthy habits is always easier in a supportive environment, and that means being honest and open about wanting to eat healthy. There is no shame in it! And who knows, you may inspire others to get healthier too.

(you can also try to bring in tupperware containers and then stick half in tupperware and eat the rest)