Ashley Graham's plus sized Sports Illustrated Cover

kjarvo
kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
What do you think about this cover and Ashley Graham? I don't want to body shame. I am not trying to pick on anyone individually, but I do think she is overweight. The majority of the comments by girls on the articles is 'she is not plus sized, she is normal' 'she is real' 'she is not plus sized, she is healthy' or 'she is an average woman'.

Just because she is an average woman does not mean she is not overweight. Size 18 US IS plus sized for models. UK size 8-16 are represented by a size 8 model, so it isn't suprising that a size 14 model represents the xxl categories. Models are supposed to inspire to sell the clothing. A slightly smaller model than a xxl person will see that as inspiration and think, yes that looks good on a curvy person. They are more relatable for the plus sizes than a skinny person.

However, that does not mean that she is not plus sized. If 60% of woman are overweight, it does not mean that she is not plus sized. She is still overweight. It shouldn't be ok to be overweight and people are getting critisied by calling her overweight or agreeing that she is plus sized.

She is probably also not healthy. Not extremely unhealthy like a morbidly obese person, but being overweight does start to cause problems.

What do you think? Do you think she should be called plus sized? Do you think she is overweight? Do you think critising the use of plus sized and the preference of real or average woman (because she probably is the weight of an average person) is making obesity acceptable?

Replies

• SofiaofNY
    SofiaofNY Posts: 63 Member
    I dont know her BMI so I dont know what her weight is - but I think you should be careful about judging whether or not she is healthy based on her size. I know plenty of people who are not thin but are healthy and active. I am a size 16 and have perfect bloodwork, perfect cholesterol, work out daily and eat way better than many of my thinner friends - who smoke, eat junk, drink alcohol, go tanning.....a picture of one persons health is alot more than their dress size.

And honestly - is there a real danger in making is acceptable not to be a size 2? I think its wonderful. I love being curvy and wouldnt want to be anything other than that.

Also - I would like to add that as a size 12 -14 and about 165lbs I player professional roller derby and jammed faster and hit harder than any 110lb girl on the track.
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Are we supposed to go find it ourselves? I'm out
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    she looks hot from the pictures I have seen
  • SofiaofNY
    Not sure how to post pics here - otherwise I would go find it for you because I think she is super hot - and sexy as hell.
  • DragonShoe_GCole
    DragonShoe_GCole Posts: 138 Member
    530roman wrote: »

LOL, THIS^^^ U should know we're lazy OP. Why didn't you post a pic so we could save the 3 seconds it takes to look it up ourselves????

Semi-Serious
  • jenjencin78
    jenjencin78 Posts: 4,415 Member
    Someone pass the popcorn please?
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Well, its not the cover, just an ad in the SI magazine. I thought it looked ok, I hate that she has a flatter stomach than me and I'm a size 8.

Oh and for the pervs:

https://yahoo.com/style/plus-size-model-ashley-grahams-ad-will-appear-in-110078052408.html
  • kjarvo
    qgyc3zxrhmzz5kxhdqp3.jpg

1423059113_ashley-graham-sports-illustrated-zoom.jpg
    Sports Illustrated advert

additionelle_734001_1_1.jpg

large.jpg
  • undergloom
    undergloom Posts: 531 Member
    I'm a perfect gentleman, but I would wreck that
  • Someone pass the popcorn please?

Just keep it away from Ashley Graham, k?

Not SI, but here are some pics:

qgyc3zxrhmzz5kxhdqp3.jpg

additionelle_729494_1_2.jpg

• SofiaofNY
    I think she is beautiful and healthy looking. Remember waifish Kate Moss and her crack or meth or whatever addiction? Seriously - how dare anyone assume someone isnt healthy based on their dress size. Dont be a judgey mean girl.
  • DragonShoe_GCole
    DragonShoe_GCole Posts: 138 Member
    530roman wrote: »

LOL, THIS^^^ U should know we're lazy OP. Why didn't you post a pic so we could save the 3 seconds it takes to look it up ourselves????

Semi-Serious

si-plussize-600x450.jpg

• kjarvo
    dym123 wrote: »
    Well, its not the cover, just an ad in the SI magazine. I thought it looked ok, I hate that she has a flatter stomach than me and I'm a size 8.

She has a flatter stomach than me too lol. I carry a lot of weight there, so I will never be the ideal 'curvy' shape. I'm not jealous, just adding that she is the ideal curvy shape, rather than the similar sized but differently proportioned The Only Way Is Essex 'celebs that you see pictures of on the beach in the Daily Mail that people criticise.

• Spnneil06
    Spnneil06 Posts: 18,745 Member
    I think she is hot, overweight, yes I suppose. However kudos to her for having the guts to show it! beautiful!
  • kjarvo
    Deanna886 wrote: »
    I think she is beautiful and healthy looking. Remember waifish Kate Moss and her crack or meth or whatever addiction? Seriously - how dare anyone assume someone isnt healthy based on their dress size. Dont be a judgey mean girl.

Where do you draw the line? Can you say a 400lb person is perfectly heathy because we don't know what their health is and because we shouldn't judge based on dress size. She probably in reality IS perfectly healthy because she isn't that overweight, and the the majority of people don't have problems. But diabetes, heart disease etc. DOES increase with obesity increasing.
  • SofiaofNY
    Why is there a line to draw? Whose business is it to judge the health of the person? Yours?
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    I think people just want to say she isn't "plus sized" because they have it in their heads that plus size = fat and ugly. Yes, she's technically overweight, but she looks awesome and I would wager that her weight is not having much of a negative impact on her health. She still has a good waist-to-hip ratio.
  • SofiaofNY
    kjarvo wrote: »
    Deanna886 wrote: »

Where do you draw the line? Can you say a 400lb person is perfectly heathy because we don't know what their health is and because we shouldn't judge based on dress size. She probably in reality IS perfectly healthy because she isn't that overweight, and the the majority of people don't have problems. But diabetes, heart disease etc. DOES increase with obesity increasing.

Not to mention - on your profile you write over and over again that you're fat - just because you dont love yourself doesnt give you the right to judge other people so harshly.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Spnneil06 wrote: »
    I think she is hot, overweight, yes I suppose. However kudos to her for having the guts to show it! beautiful!

^^ This. I say good for her!