Ashley Graham's plus sized Sports Illustrated Cover

Options

Replies

• spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    dym123 wrote: »
    Ashley Graham is 5'10 and weighs 165 pounds. She wears a size 14
    And according to the fashion industry, plus size models start at a size 8. which is ridiculous. "

This is hilarious, I'm 5'4" and around 165lbs and wear a size 8, which according to the fashion industry also makes me plus size, though I'm not a model, so not sure what that makes me. Another reason why the scale doesn't matter.

Yes, I'm 5'4 and 161 as of this morning. I don't wear a size 14 or even a 12... I wear size 10 slacks and dresses. Size 8 in strectch jeans.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    spicy618 wrote: »
    And according to the fashion industry, plus size models start at a size 8. which is ridiculous. "

This is hilarious, I'm 5'4" and around 165lbs and wear a size 8, which according to the fashion industry also makes me plus size, though I'm not a model, so not sure what that makes me. Another reason why the scale doesn't matter.

Yes, I'm 5'4 and 161 as of this morning. I don't wear a size 14 or even a 12... I wear size 10 slacks and dresses. Size 8 in strectch jeans.

This just goes to show how different every person is shaped. This is actually fascinating because I am 5'8" and I weigh 137 pounds (as of this morning) and I wear a size 8 dress and jeans.

• Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    For those focusing on weight/BMI as an indicator of health, Hafthor Bjornsson (Guy who played the last version of The Mountain in GoT, and is one of the 3 strongest humans on the planet) has a 45 BMI, and weighs in at 419lbs, at 6'9".

The guy who plays Hodor, Kristian Nairn, is about the same weight/BMI, at 6'10".

Totally different builds.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I think she's gorgeous. I suspect her weight is one of those publicity fibs, because at 4-5 inches shorter, I was a size 10 at 160 pounds, sometimes an 8 if I was willing to be uncomfortable. Plus, I don't have giant boobies to add to my weight. I don't think there's a model or actress or actor who doesn't lie about their weight or height, sometimes their age.

Going by body fat percentage, she's probably at least close to a healthy range. If she's happy and healthy, good for her. I'd be happier being a higher body fat percentage if I looked that good. Sadly, mother nature is cruel to me and adds fat in weird and unappealing places, like back boobs instead of front boobs. :|
  • northlandmum
    northlandmum Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    We'd all be able to look that good with the right lighting and airbrushing and high heels. But high heels are not that practical in all the situations where you'd be in a bikini though. There would be cellulite in the real shots. She looks curvaceous and confident. But I'd rather be in the healthy weight category and look less curvaceous.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    spicy618 wrote: »

This just goes to show how different every person is shaped. This is actually fascinating because I am 5'8" and I weigh 137 pounds (as of this morning) and I wear a size 8 dress and jeans.

www.mybodygallery.com amazing website will show you just how different people with the same stats can look
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options

www.mybodygallery.com amazing website will show you just how different people with the same stats can look

I must have a lot of muscle that I wasn't aware I even had, based on all the pics that are close to my own weight o.o
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yes she is "overweight".
    Yes she is "plus size".
    Is she healthy? I don't know. I'm not her doctor.
    Is she beautiful and sexy? In my opinion, yes.
    Are those images photoshopped to remove cellulite and rolls? Probably.
    Do I want a body similar to hers? No, that's not my preference.
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    trojan_bb wrote: »
    Her body is far less realistic than the size 2 swimsuit models. Her "curves" (come on, that's ridiculous, they're fat deposits and nothing else) are airbrushed to hell, like most models.

Editors have given her the skin of an 18 year old girl, her cellulite and dimples are gone. Realistic and a good role model? Hardly. A 16% bodyfat female body can be achieved by just about anyone, if that's the priority. But it's at least achievable to some degree. A flawless skinned, dimple free, size 14 is not achievable.

But, she's beautiful nonetheless. Though, how is she a better role model for women? Because her legs rub on each other as she walks? Is that how the human body was designed to function? Seems a bit ridiculous to me, but I'm not a woman and know nothing of fat shaming.

I think you have very good points. She is plus size, defined by how plus sized is set. Who gives a flying f***? At my goal weight, I am a size 10/12 in a Medium shirt, and I'm fine with this. I feel sexy as hell, and I am healthy to my doctor.. But am I considered plus size? You bet I am. And that is okay. Who I am is not defined by someone else's interpretation of what my exterior looks like, and I truly believe this.

I REALLY REALLY want to punch people in the throat when they make comments such as "finally, a REAL woman", or "REAL women have curves". What gives someone the right to say those things, and why should anyone LIKE their Facebook status when they say that? My sisters are naturally thin, and though I was totally jealous when I was younger, I get we are all different. My oldest would love to gain weight, because as she says, she is "as flat as a 10 year old boy" (she is beautiful).

No, women use the term "REAL women have curves" because they themselves are overweight, and are thin shaming women who aren't overweight like them. It makes me sad.

I also don't think Ashley Graham is a role model for anyone, unless she talks about being healthy, the healthy way. She is just doing her job and is probably getting paid pretty well for it. I went to a modeling gig and was offered a spot for a set of ads, and I turned it down. I was signing away all rights for digital correction, and I didn't want them to change my body into something that wasn't me, and then have women see that and try to be something that wasn't even real.

• capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't kick her out of bed.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    We could see this ad as "Self acceptance" rather than "fat acceptance" and be happy people are happy in their own skin no matter how much fat on their body they have or don't have and don't give a crap what others think.

But ya know, lets be sh!tty with each other and concentrate on shaming all body types.

• LandyBreigh
    LandyBreigh Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I think she is beautiful and real. She's healthy, not overweight. All we see in magazines, movies and on TV is woman who are small framed and look great in a bikini. Not everyone can look like that, no matter what food we put in our mouths or how much working out we do. And it is absolutely possible to be PLUS SIZE and healthy and not overweight. Who created those damn BMI calculators anyway?
  • salad_bar
    salad_bar Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    To each their own, right?

If you think she looks healthy and curvy, that's okay.

If you think she looks overweight, that's okay.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    She is unspeakably hot.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    She's attractive, but not for me. Not because of her size, mind you....her eyes don't pull me in. I'm more attracted to eyes than I am a woman's weight...take Kirstie Alley for example; even at her largest, I found her extremely hot.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm also not buying the 165lbs and 5'10". I am 160lbs and 5'9" and a U.S. size 8. I'd guess she's about 180.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I think she is GORGEOUS!!! She looks feminine and has curves in all the right places. And besides, you can be athletic while carrying a bit of extra weight. I know I was stronger when I weighed more...now that I'm 128 pounds I feel super weak. You can't judge how healthy a person is based on their pants size.