Ice Cream Substitute

Options

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    One thing that helped me with portions of ice cream is to go out and buy an actual 4 ounce ice cream bowl. I got a fancy looking one from Crate and Barrel that was only a couple of dollars. A serving fills the bowl, instead of swimming in a sea of sadness like it does in a cereal bowl.

ice-cream-dishes.jpg

I usse a coffee cup the same way, though my motivation was mostly laziness and dishes.

I just eat it right out of the measuring cup because I don't want to get another dish dirty. Is that sad?

You wouldn't get any dish dirty if you put it on a scale and just ate your serving size right out of the pint.

Or eat the whole pint. That's a serving size, right?
    Of course! Same with a bottle of wine is one serving, or else the cork would be easier to put back in!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Frozen banana blended with peanut butter :) yum! I also like to add cinnamon

I never understood this one to be honest.

1 banana = 100 calories
    1 tbsp peanuts butter = 100 calories

200 calories for a 1/2 cup serving.

Ice cream = 150 calories for a 1/2 cup serving. 120 for light at slightly over 200 for rich.

How is that different? (aside from the fact that ice cream tastes better)

I think this is more about eating natural and lowering calories. Banana and peanut butter have natural ingredients, and no added sugar.

^ lol right on que ...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

1 banana = 100 calories

Ice cream = 150 calories for a 1/2 cup serving. 120 for light at slightly over 200 for rich.

I think this is more about eating natural and lowering calories. Banana and peanut butter have natural ingredients, and no added sugar.

The problem with this is that most posts of this nature are looking for a replacement because ice cream takes up too much of their calorie budget. Offering something that has the same, even higher, calories does not provide a solution and does not make it a suitable replacement. Now if the question was "looking for potassium sources" this would be a great suggestion.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

1 banana = 100 calories

because the sugar in the banana is better than the sugar in the ice cream...*sarcasm*

Don't be silly, we all know the fructose molecule is different based on its source. If it comes already in the form of fructose from a fruit it is healthy, but if it used bound into sucrose it is poison. Except it's still poison if it is fructose sitting next to glucose except um . . . wait, let me go get my flow chart.

is that what leads people to shoot up sugar????
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    One thing that helped me with portions of ice cream is to go out and buy an actual 4 ounce ice cream bowl. I got a fancy looking one from Crate and Barrel that was only a couple of dollars. A serving fills the bowl, instead of swimming in a sea of sadness like it does in a cereal bowl.

ice-cream-dishes.jpg

I usse a coffee cup the same way, though my motivation was mostly laziness and dishes.

I just eat it right out of the measuring cup because I don't want to get another dish dirty. Is that sad?

You wouldn't get any dish dirty if you put it on a scale and just ate your serving size right out of the pint.

Or eat the whole pint. That's a serving size, right?
    Of course! Same with a bottle of wine is one serving, or else the cork would be easier to put back in!

Yes and yes!! ...I may have had a pint of ice cream and a bottle of wine for dinner before. That was a good night. Ok there was more than one night. Will run for wine and ice cream.

I seriously don't know how the pint-on-food-scale thing has never occurred to me before. We'll see how manageable that is with the half-gallon I have in the fridge right now.
  • nojuliefx
    nojuliefx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Edy's slow churned no sugar added and Breyers no sugar added are both pretty low calorie. Just have to watch the portions!
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's already been said, but you should just eat less of what you like. The low-fat substitutes like Laughing Cow or Dreyer's Slow Churn are horrid, in my opinion (they have a bizarre buttery aftertaste that makes me want to gag and I don't have a particularly picky pallet.) I like frozen yogurt, but that may not cut it for you, plus the cals are pretty close anyways.
  • Canwehugnow
    Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have a Magic Bullet and I throw in some frozen bananas and strawberries with milk and it comes into this frozen yogurt/ice cream consistency. It's pretty good.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Have y'all heard of Arctic Zero? Haven't tried it yet but I heard it's awesome sauce. 150 calories per PINT.

arctic-zero-ice-cream-review.jpg
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP seek help for your addiction.

A banana is NOT ice cream.

Now for ice cream gif's. ;)

anigif_enhanced-buzz-11870-1354383800-1.gif
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    lorigem wrote: »
    Have y'all heard of Arctic Zero? Haven't tried it yet but I heard it's awesome sauce. 150 calories per PINT.

From the ingredients it looks more or less like low cal protein fluff. From a bulk perspective it's largely churned weigh protein and stabilizers.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

I didn't like it at all. It wasn't creamy enough. Really icey. Flavor not so good. So much disappointment. :(

• Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »

I didn't like it at all. It wasn't creamy enough. Really icey. Flavor not so good. So much disappointment. :(

That's a shame, I was going to give it a try tonight. Oh well, guess it's still worth a shot.
  • lorigem
    lorigem Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »

What flavor did you try? I knew it was probably too good to be true.

I'll stick to real ice cream :smile:

• christyallison69
    christyallison69 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Less ice cream.
    There is no substitute.
    Ice cream isn't addictive.

Actually, research has shown that it IS addictive: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/9118768/Ice-cream-as-addictive-as-drugs-says-new-study.html

The Telegraph did the article based on research from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition:
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2012/02/14/ajcn.111.027003.abstract

Quoted from the AJCN: " Conclusions: Our results provide novel evidence that frequent consumption of ice cream, independent of body fat, is related to a reduction in reward-region responsivity in humans, paralleling the tolerance observed in drug addiction."

So basically, the more icecream you eat, the more you want to eat to get the same reward; an increase of dopamine in the brain. This is addiction. Guess that means I'm an addict.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The skinny cow ice cream sandwiches are pretty good.

I'm a big fan of all the Skinny Cow products, ice cream or otherwise!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

1 banana = 100 calories

^ lol right on que ...

?? You think it's for a different reason? I suppose it could simply be for more potassium.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

It tastes like icy cardboard. The texture isn't creamy at all. It is by far the most foul thing I've tried in an attempt to find a low-cal substitute. It was what convinced me to stop trying to find low-cal substitutes and just eat the real thing.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

I tried the bars. Once. It tasted like frozen whey protein. And disappointment. Some people like it though.

I for one actually really like the Skinny Cow ice cream products. And they give me more room to hit my other macros since they have less fat and I NEVER have a problem getting enough fat from other foods I eat.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I feel like Ice Cream is pretty reasonable as far as calories go.... I can usually fit it in if I want it