How did I gain 3 pounds on 800 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Thantanos wrote: »
    My Stats? Well I am 5' 6" 234 pounds. I run 15 mins a day, do pushups, squats. Really I have been enjoying this plan for two months. I should mention that I do cheat once per week at a place of my choice, but my cheating is always under my maintenance calorie count.

Please open your diary, otherwise I have to call BS on this one.

• myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Can we see your food diary ?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    800 calories per day for a 38 year old male?!?!? WHY? :'(

Whelp im 50% fat. And to be honest I am NEVER hungry on my diet plan. I work, I workout I have tons of energy and loosing weight is making me happy.

Being hungry is not a good indicator of whether you're getting enough calories. Anorexics aren't "hungry" either.

I eat more than twice the number of calories that you are eating, and I am losing around a pound a week. I am a 5'4" female, and I am also in the 40-50% BF range.

What you are doing is not healthy, period. And promoting it in the forums is against the rules.
  • Thantanos
    Thantanos Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    Of all the discussion boards I've been on in the last 16 years...this one is the easiest to troll. I don't get it.

I hope the OP is a troll.

I think this will be the last question I ever ask on MFP. All I wanted was a reason for the stopped weight loss. Instead people are acting like there the cool kids in high school.
  • myfatass78
    Options
    I promise you, I am NOT cool. Open your diary if you would like help.
  • Thantanos
    Options
    My Stats? Well I am 5' 6" 234 pounds. I run 15 mins a day, do pushups, squats. Really I have been enjoying this plan for two months. I should mention that I do cheat once per week at a place of my choice, but my cheating is always under my maintenance calorie count.

Please open your diary, otherwise I have to call BS on this one.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Thantanos

Is that how I open my diary? Tell me how and I will show you.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Of all the discussion boards I've been on in the last 16 years...this one is the easiest to troll. I don't get it.

I think this will be the last question I ever ask on MFP. All I wanted was a reason for the stopped weight loss. Instead people are acting like there the cool kids in high school.

awww either way - troll or legit, good.

We don't need people talking up 800 cal diets even if trolling.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If you are only guessing what your calories might be rather than weighing and measuring to get accurate calorie counts, you are most likely not eating just 800. Also, you may be retaining water. You are also under the assumption that you have to starve yourself to lose weight and it's the complete opposite of that. You need to eat. If you don't put gas in a car, you may run on fumes for a bit, but eventually it's going to stop going anywhere until you put more fuel in it. You need more fuel. You may be losing weight now, but at this rate, it's causing more harm than good, it just hasn't caught up with you yet. It will though.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

Definitely a troll.

Waiting for the "mean people" thread in 3... 2... 1...

For the sake of seriousness: People on here will support a healthy plan. You are not doing it healthy. If you spoke to a Real Dietician to get you where you are now, I would encourage you to take your questions back to the quack because no one on here will promote your idea that 800 calories is healthy or safe.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    You're eating 400 calories less than a WWII concentration camp victim. Maybe this should be the problem you should be concerned about rather than the weight gain.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    You may have lost weight successfully but that doesn't mean it's necessarily a good thing. Keep in mind you can lose 'weight' from everything from fat mass to muscle mass to bone density depending on the composition of what you are eating and your lifestyle.

I find it extremely hard to believe your RDI's of various vitamins and nutrients are met using an 800 calorie diet that includes alcohol (which shouldn't be considered just for calories alone, given the way it affects your metabolic pathways) and chocolate. While you acknowledge it's a personal choice to eat so little to lose weight, it's an unsustainable one.

The MFP blogs have a series called Nutrition 101, I'd suggest having a read and really sitting down with someone qualified to assess how you can really meet your needs.

I think people are doing a LOT of assuming here. As part of my insurance plan I made my original diet with a Real Dieticians guidance.

Of course you did
  • myfatass78
    Options
    You have to change it in the settings.
  • Thantanos
    Options
    If you are only guessing what your calories might be rather than weighing and measuring to get accurate calorie counts, you are most likely not eating just 800. Also, you may be retaining water. You are also under the assumption that you have to starve yourself to lose weight and it's the complete opposite of that. You need to eat. If you don't put gas in a car, you may run on fumes for a bit, but eventually it's going to stop going anywhere until you put more fuel in it. You need more fuel. You may be losing weight now, but at this rate, it's causing more harm than good, it just hasn't caught up with you yet. It will though.

I hear you but this famous study says my diet works.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

AH defo troll
  • Thantanos
    Options
    myfatass78 wrote: »
    You have to change it in the settings.

Ok changed my settings to public.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Thantanos
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    You may have lost weight successfully but that doesn't mean it's necessarily a good thing. Keep in mind you can lose 'weight' from everything from fat mass to muscle mass to bone density depending on the composition of what you are eating and your lifestyle.

I find it extremely hard to believe your RDI's of various vitamins and nutrients are met using an 800 calorie diet that includes alcohol (which shouldn't be considered just for calories alone, given the way it affects your metabolic pathways) and chocolate. While you acknowledge it's a personal choice to eat so little to lose weight, it's an unsustainable one.

The MFP blogs have a series called Nutrition 101, I'd suggest having a read and really sitting down with someone qualified to assess how you can really meet your needs.

I think people are doing a LOT of assuming here. As part of my insurance plan I made my original diet with a Real Dieticians guidance.

So what?

Even if the original plan has all of your nutritional needs covered, I can guarantee you're not following it if you're eating chocolate and having wine on an 800 cal plan.
  • Thantanos
    Options

AH defo troll

Not a troll just opened my Journal to public take a look.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

"Among the conclusions from the study was the confirmation that prolonged semi-starvation produces significant increases in depression, hysteria and hypochondriasis as measured using the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory."

"Participants exhibited a preoccupation with food, both during the starvation period and the rehabilitation phase. Sexual interest was drastically reduced, and the volunteers showed signs of social withdrawal and isolation."

" There were marked declines in physiological processes indicative of decreases in each subject’s basal metabolic rate (the energy required by the body in a state of rest), reflected in reduced body temperature, respiration and heart rate. Some of the subjects exhibited edema in their extremities, presumably due to decreased levels of plasma proteins given that the body's ability to construct key proteins like albumin is based on available energy sources."

Sounds wonderful...
  • myfatass78
    Options
    Im a bit confused as you say you are on 800 calories but you are eating 1200 (havent gone through in detail yet)