Girls and Weight training? Yes or No?

Options
DangerousDUCK
DangerousDUCK Posts: 181 Member
edited February 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
How many of the girls here do weight training? and If not why not?

All the benefits are to numerous to list, and the reasons not to are based on myths an misconceptions!

- Weight training can even majorly effect how efficient your body is at burning fat meaning you can eat more.
- It can fight skin, muscular and skeletal ageing.
- You'll look better naked
- daily life is easier when you're stronger
- Weight training will boost the amount of kcals you burn in the gym and can be incorporated into your cardio routines easily

A basic weights program categorically will NOT make you "bulky" "manly" or grow a beard! :p

Terry

p.s feel free to add me, I'll do the same ;)

Replies

• jakicooke
    jakicooke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    im not a "girl" im a fat ole bird ha ha but I do weight train. doing heavy full body compound weights, circuit training and insanity (cardio and body weight training) has helped me lose over 60lbs so far. still got a way to go but working on the weights is my favourite training and something I want to progress even more with
  • apple173
    apple173 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm not a "girl" either. I do weight train. I lost weight, gained strengrh etc. Love weight training.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't weight train for quite a variety of reasons:

1. I find it extremely boring. I would rather do a whole hour of cardio than weight train for 10 minutes.

2. I don't want to shell out money to build a home gym for something I don't enjoy in the first place. "Girl" gyms in my area don't offer satisfactory weight training options (unless you consider pink dumbbells a good option), and the only mixed gym allows women 8 am - noon. Not a good option for someone who has a job. The closest gym where I could actually work any time I want is a 90 minute drive and extremely expensive. Again, don't want to shell money for something I don't enjoy.

3. I have chronic back issues and need to be very careful. Any wrong movement could leave me in bed for a month. I have gotten used to avoiding movement mistakes, but with weights I will have to find out the hard way, sacrificing a few months every now and then, how to move without consequences. I went through that process for running and it was hell worth it because I love it, but I don't think I'm willing to make the same sacrifices for something I don't like.

4. Did I mention I don't enjoy it?
  • DangerousDUCK
    Options
    apple173 wrote: »
    I'm not a "girl" either. I do weight train. I lost weight, gained strengrh etc. Love weight training.
    jakicooke wrote: »
    im not a "girl" im a fat ole bird ha ha but I do weight train. doing heavy full body compound weights, circuit training and insanity (cardio and body weight training) has helped me lose over 60lbs so far. still got a way to go but working on the weights is my favourite training and something I want to progress even more with

Sorry ladies(that better?) no offence meant just the informal way I speak ;)

Im glad you are "on board" so to speak, I see way too many women who avoid the free weights entirely
  • leyla87
    leyla87 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I used to do a lot of weight training. I had a long break, as I went away, now I'm back and doing HIIT cardio for a few months (half way done) then will reduce the HIIT and hit the weights again. I can't wait haha.
  • DangerousDUCK
    Options

1. I find it extremely boring. I would rather do a whole hour of cardio than weight train for 10 minutes.

2. I don't want to shell out money to build a home gym for something I don't enjoy in the first place. "Girl" gyms in my area don't offer satisfactory weight training options (unless you consider pink dumbbells a good option), and the only mixed gym allows women 8 am - noon. Not a good option for someone who has a job. The closest gym where I could actually work any time I want is a 90 minute drive and extremely expensive. Again, don't want to shell money for something I don't enjoy.

3. I have chronic back issues and need to be very careful. Any wrong movement could leave me in bed for a month. I have gotten used to avoiding movement mistakes, but with weights I will have to find out the hard way, sacrificing a few months every now and then, how to move without consequences. I went through that process for running and it was hell worth it because I love it, but I don't think I'm willing to make the same sacrifices for something I don't like.

- I'm picking up a vibe that you are not a fan of the free weights? haha

- Have you tried a studio class that uses weights? sometimes it can bridge the gap between weights an cardio and also make it a fun group activity?

- The back issues could potentially be helped by a tailored weights program to strengthen the affected area. But that is entirely based on the type of back issue and your Docs advice first before taking any unnecessary risk.

- I like pink dumbbells ;)

- I would take it up with your gym that only allows women during such a small window of time, times have changed most women work full time etc

_ If you genuinely dislike the activity completely in all its forms then no problem, we're all different etc

Terry

• joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid free weights, but I have to fight for them at my gym. I do a weight training DVD at home but its not proper lifting (so to speak). I am currently doing body weight workouts that leave me pretty achy and knackered so I am assuming that they'll do the trick, but I will get back to my proper weights routine when my gym calms down after the New Year rush. :)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

- Have you tried a studio class that uses weights? sometimes it can bridge the gap between weights an cardio and also make it a fun group activity?

- The back issues could potentially be helped by a tailored weights program to strengthen the affected area. But that is entirely based on the type of back issue and your Docs advice first before taking any unnecessary risk.

- I would take it up with your gym that only allows women during such a small window of time, times have changed most women work full time etc

_ If you genuinely dislike the activity completely in all its forms then no problem, we're all different etc

Terry

you clearly have a reading problem.

Her back injury is a very good reason not to lift and going to a cardio 'lifting' class is probably the worst thing she can do. there wont be form checks nor will it be a slow pace. And I dont think a cardio 'lifting' class will make her like it anymore.

I lift. I don't appreciate being called a 'girl'. I'm not 5yo. I love lifting, makes me a stronger runner. and I'm prrttt sure my strength adaided me in the self defense class I took last night. it'll aid in viciously fighting off the idiot who decides to mess with me.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I lift :)

I just hate having such a small gym. I see the same people at the same time every day taking up all the available space, hogging the equipment without doing anything with it, talking and laughing. It irks me. Let someone else have a turn so I can bust it out and go home!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Terry

Not if you live in the middle east lol.

As for my back issues, it's not a run of the mill back weakness. It's actual scar tissue left after a horrible accident that is too close to the spinal cord.

I actually do the bare minimum of body weight resistance training to stay strong. I don't particularly enjoy it, but can force myself to do 10 minutes of it twice a week, which isn't the case with free weights lol. Even 10 minutes is 10 minutes too long. I use Convict Conditioning as a guideline. I first started with You Are Your Own gym, but the "let me ins" exercise threw my back for a loop, and then again with the "romanian deadlifts", so I opted for the Convict Conditioning because the moves are more basic. Basically: body weight squats, push ups, leg raises (I don't do those, I substitute planks), and pull ups.
  • kimhere
    kimhere Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    All the offense on being called a girl?? I'm sorry but I would not have even thought for that to be offensive.

I just started free weights this week. I was a little intimidated to go into that part of the gym but after I got started a guy noticed my fo was off and came to help me some. Turns out it wasn't nearly as bad in that area as I thought. Lol. I really need to work one upper body strength. I love to cycle and run, I also do studio classes of all sorts, and p90x3 is starting next week. The weights I'm only doing twice a week right now and it's all upper body. My trainer helped me yesterday put together a plan and he showed me how to properly lift :)
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    joolsmd wrote: »
    I don't avoid free weights, but I have to fight for them at my gym. I do a weight training DVD at home but its not proper lifting (so to speak). I am currently doing body weight workouts that leave me pretty achy and knackered so I am assuming that they'll do the trick, but I will get back to my proper weights routine when my gym calms down after the New Year rush. :)

This is me at the moment. I'm going to brave the gym again next week - in the hope it'll have calmed down a little by then. I had to fight for the squat rack in the run up to Christmas - I'd have had to resort to physical violence to get near it when busier!!
  • DangerousDUCK
    Options

[/quote]

you clearly have a reading problem. Why immediately be rude?

Her back injury is a very good reason not to lift and going to a cardio 'lifting' class is probably the worst thing she can do. there wont be form checks nor will it be a slow pace. And I dont think a cardio 'lifting' class will make her like it anymore. Again It would depend entirely on the nature of the issue, hence I qualified the statement by saying speak to a doc etc, plus I've done form checks in a class before just depends on the type of class.

I lift. I don't appreciate being called a 'girl'. I'm not 5yo. I love lifting, makes me a stronger runner. and I'm prrttt sure my strength adaided me in the self defense class I took last night. it'll aid in viciously fighting off the idiot who decides to mess with me.[/quote]
    I already explained...

• MaggieLoo79
    MaggieLoo79 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I lifted weights in high school and was in great shape. Here I am, at 35, starting again just two weeks ago. I've lost 1.5 inches around my waist already!!! Woohoo!
  • DangerousDUCK
    Options
    I lift :)

I just hate having such a small gym. I see the same people at the same time every day taking up all the available space, hogging the equipment without doing anything with it, talking and laughing. It irks me. Let someone else have a turn so I can bust it out and go home!

At every gym I there can never be too much space or too much equipment but invariably the balance is usually wrong

[/quote]

Not if you live in the middle east lol.

As for my back issues, it's not a run of the mill back weakness. It's actual scar tissue left after a horrible accident that is too close to the spinal cord.

I actually do the bare minimum of body weight resistance training to stay strong. I don't particularly enjoy it, but can force myself to do 10 minutes of it twice a week, which isn't the case with free weights lol. Even 10 minutes is 10 minutes too long. I use Convict Conditioning as a guideline. I first started with You Are Your Own gym, but the "let me ins" exercise threw my back for a loop, and then again with the "romanian deadlifts", so I opted for the Convict Conditioning because the moves are more basic. Basically: body weight squats, push ups, leg raises (I don't do those, I substitute planks), and pull ups.[/quote]

Fair enough. ;)
    kimhere wrote: »
    All the offense on being called a girl?? I'm sorry but I would not have even thought for that to be offensive. :wink: It wasnt meant to be at all, but If i worried all day about offending someone we'd never have an opinion on anything

I just started free weights this week. I was a little intimidated to go into that part of the gym but after I got started a guy noticed my fo was off and came to help me some. Turns out it wasn't nearly as bad in that area as I thought. Lol. I really need to work one upper body strength. I love to cycle and run, I also do studio classes of all sorts, and p90x3 is starting next week. The weights I'm only doing twice a week right now and it's all upper body. My trainer helped me yesterday put together a plan and he showed me how to properly lift :)
    I know a few girls who avoid the weights room as its just too many men in there, can be intimidating which is why the female only areas are a good idea
    Cc215 wrote: »
    joolsmd wrote: »

Body weight excercises will definately be of benefit, and hopefully progress you onto the free weights

This is me at the moment. I'm going to brave the gym again next week - in the hope it'll have calmed down a little by then. I had to fight for the squat rack in the run up to Christmas - I'd have had to resort to physical violence to get near it when busier!!

If you keep you keep up the weights the physical violence will come easier too ;P

• DangerousDUCK
    Options
    I lifted weights in high school and was in great shape. Here I am, at 35, starting again just two weeks ago. I've lost 1.5 inches around my waist already!!! Woohoo!

Congrats. ;)

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to know?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Wow. I thought we're supposed to be taking "like a girl" as a compliment these days, not getting in a huff over what is clearly a slang/familiar use of the word "girl."

Anyways, yep, OP, I do weight train. You'll find that a good number of women here n MFP do. I started last July after doing bodyweight training for a few months.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What has it got to do with you?

Edited smelling mistakes!
  • AnotherXFitGuy
    AnotherXFitGuy Posts: 58 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    kimhere wrote: »
    All the offense on being called a girl?? I'm sorry but I would not have even thought for that to be offensive.

Thank You!
This discussion has been closed.