Girls and Weight training? Yes or No?

Options

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I love lifting. I'm pregnant now and am still doing it for functional strength. The squats are my main focus since I've been told by a couple of doctors that the flexibility required for that exercise is beneficial for birthing and recovery. I didn't lift at all the first time I was pregnant, so we'll see how it goes.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Lifting? Not even once.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Methinks the OP should lift.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't weight train for quite a variety of reasons:

1. I find it extremely boring. I would rather do a whole hour of cardio than weight train for 10 minutes.

2. I don't want to shell out money to build a home gym for something I don't enjoy in the first place. "Girl" gyms in my area don't offer satisfactory weight training options (unless you consider pink dumbbells a good option), and the only mixed gym allows women 8 am - noon. Not a good option for someone who has a job. The closest gym where I could actually work any time I want is a 90 minute drive and extremely expensive. Again, don't want to shell money for something I don't enjoy.

3. I have chronic back issues and need to be very careful. Any wrong movement could leave me in bed for a month. I have gotten used to avoiding movement mistakes, but with weights I will have to find out the hard way, sacrificing a few months every now and then, how to move without consequences. I went through that process for running and it was hell worth it because I love it, but I don't think I'm willing to make the same sacrifices for something I don't like.

4. Did I mention I don't enjoy it?

What sexist place do you live in!? Women can only go for certain hours!? Sheesh, you need to report that place. That's sounds so illegal.
  • DangerousDUCK
    DangerousDUCK Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I don't do it because I find it boring and I'm very lazy.
    and honest at least

Wouldn't you be worried that they'd grow "boy-ly"? rather than manly? Since you were talking about girls, rather than women. :p Sorry, just thought I'd join in the ribbing on you.

I've been lifting since 1996. I'm now 49.999 years old.[/quote]

No problem, my good lady/female human/darling...
    I lift. I love lifting. I think everyone who can should try it.

And yet, I find this post somewhat condescending. It might be the word "girl" but I think it's more the vibe I get that you're going to ride in and educate all the female masses about what kind of workout we should be doing and make sure we're not worrying our pretty heads about bulking up.
    ... Just some advice for anyone who wants it, never knew it would be so divisive.

• MsBeverleyH
    MsBeverleyH Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't "lift" per say, but I do calisthenics, so I'm using my own body to (maybe, sort of, eventually) build muscles: sit-ups, leg lifts, squats, planks, push-ups, etc.
    Does that half count?
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I enjoy lifting but I'm still extremely self conscious about it given that I don't really know what I'm doing, "heavy" for me is really not that much weight, and I still have 80some pounds to lose so I feel like a fatty on the floor. I have a major anxiety disorder that plays into it, and I train with a personal trainer so I can learn what to do, and why, and which weights, etc. and that is helping me feel more comfortable to branch out and lift on my own some days. I prefer it to cardio, but I get way more self conscious.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Because picking up heavy things and putting them back down is awesome. End of story.
  • DangerousDUCK
    Options
    DYELB wrote: »
    Methinks the OP should lift.
    :p Hey we all have different goals, being overly bulky is not mine, an I lift plenty
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

1. I find it extremely boring. I would rather do a whole hour of cardio than weight train for 10 minutes.

2. I don't want to shell out money to build a home gym for something I don't enjoy in the first place. "Girl" gyms in my area don't offer satisfactory weight training options (unless you consider pink dumbbells a good option), and the only mixed gym allows women 8 am - noon. Not a good option for someone who has a job. The closest gym where I could actually work any time I want is a 90 minute drive and extremely expensive. Again, don't want to shell money for something I don't enjoy.

3. I have chronic back issues and need to be very careful. Any wrong movement could leave me in bed for a month. I have gotten used to avoiding movement mistakes, but with weights I will have to find out the hard way, sacrificing a few months every now and then, how to move without consequences. I went through that process for running and it was hell worth it because I love it, but I don't think I'm willing to make the same sacrifices for something I don't like.

What sexist place do you live in!? Women can only go for certain hours!? Sheesh, you need to report that place. That's sounds so illegal.

She clarified later she's in the middle east, which would make a lot of sense actually. At least they are allowed in a mixed gym at all.
  • cosmiqrecovery
    cosmiqrecovery Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i'm not a "girl," quite, but i've dabbled in it. slowly coming to the realization that it's just not my thing. personally i prefer strength training using body weight, running, kickboxing, swimming, yoga, cycling, just about anything that won't stick me in a room with a bunch of huge sweaty dudes farting their way down the squat rack. maybe it's just because i go to a pretty cliquey gym, but i get glared at far less by the cardio bunnies and chronic class-goers than by the crossfit crowd. :p
  • m4xc4v413r4
    Options
    Damn, girls in an exercise forum get offended too easily...

Are you female? Then I'm sorry but you ARE a girl, stop being *kitten* with all the "taking offense" posts and grow up already.

Then there's the ones trying to derail the thread by saying the guy is just looking for a girl to pick-up or something... WTF, are you serious?
    It's a fitness forum, what the hell is wrong with a fitness related question? And a valid one for that matter.

What he said is 100% true, many women think that by doing weight training they'll get buff which is not true at all, both because of genetics and because they're most probably not going there to lift enough weight for it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Again, it's the middle east. Many women are Muslim and would not like to be seen by men without their head cover (which they take off in the gym). Where there is demand, there is supply.. and there IS demand for female only gyms. Not all gyms are like that. There are mixed gender gyms, but the ones I have access to are either all-female or operated on equal time splits between men and women (men are not allowed in before noon).
  • DangerousDUCK
    Options
    I enjoy lifting but I'm still extremely self conscious about it given that I don't really know what I'm doing, "heavy" for me is really not that much weight, and I still have 80some pounds to lose so I feel like a fatty on the floor. I have a major anxiety disorder that plays into it, and I train with a personal trainer so I can learn what to do, and why, and which weights, etc. and that is helping me feel more comfortable to branch out and lift on my own some days. I prefer it to cardio, but I get way more self conscious.

The trainer will definitely help. soon as you become more comfortable with the technique and form you might feel less self conscious ;)
    I don't "lift" per say, but I do calisthenics, so I'm using my own body to (maybe, sort of, eventually) build muscles: sit-ups, leg lifts, squats, planks, push-ups, etc.
    Does that half count?

Yeah until you reach a point where your bodyweight might not be enough resistance to improve I.e Bodyweight squats etc, Even with the variations eventually you might need some external weight.

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's the only kind of exercise I enjoy.
  • MsBeverleyH
    MsBeverleyH Posts: 99 Member
    Options

Yeah until you reach a point where your bodyweight might not be enough resistance to improve I.e Bodyweight squats etc, Even with the variations eventually you might need some external weight.

Yeaaaaah, I'm nowhere close to that happening yet. Once I am, I'll start using actual weights.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Are you female? Then I'm sorry but you ARE a girl, stop being *kitten* with all the "taking offense" posts and grow up already.

Then there's the ones trying to derail the thread by saying the guy is just looking for a girl to pick-up or something... WTF, are you serious?
    It's a fitness forum, what the hell is wrong with a fitness related question? And a valid one for that matter.
    No way, he so subliminally asked for noodz.

What he said is 100% true, many women think that by doing weight training they'll get buff which is not true at all, both because of genetics and because they're most probably not going there to lift enough weight for it.

Uhhhh most "girls" lift damn heavy, and if they're lifting as heavy as they do in a calorie surplus, you better believe they're getting some growth. Derpy herpy.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I think some women don't like being called girls because it's a little demeaning, just like many men would rather be called men than boys. Secondly, it wasn't a question. Thirdly, I think the people here who are getting riled are annoyed because 90% of people here ALREADY know that women will not just suddenly get bulky by lifting, and don't appreciate being told what they already know by someone who likely hasn't been here long going by his low post count. There are a lot of women here who have lifted for years and very few who would be scared to lift because 'ermagerd I'll look like a buff man!' or something.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

The wonderful thing is: you don't get to decide what others are offended by.

That said, I wasn't "offended" per se. Does that mean I *liked* what he said, and how he said it? No. It's not either or. And because this is an internet forum, I can give him MY opinion. See how that works?

Ps: do you feel better having gotten that off your chest? cheers! :drinker:
  • DangerousDUCK
    Options

Its like a minefield, was a straight question no ulterior motives etc just an opinion based on my personal experience. :smile:

[/quote]

Yeaaaaah, I'm nowhere close to that happening yet. Once I am, I'll start using actual weights. [/quote]

Every long journey starts with a single step an all that stuff ;)

This discussion has been closed.