Girls and Weight training? Yes or No?

Options

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

What he said is 100% true, many women think that by doing weight training they'll get buff which is not true at all, both because of genetics and because they're most probably not going there to lift enough weight for it.

You must be new here...
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly not to the phenomenal level of some of the women on here but I'm no stranger to the squat rack either. Deadlifts have helped a ton with my scoliosis (I now require 1/3 the chiropractic care) and I'm a lot more useful around the farm, too. Have a lot of progress left to make but I've come a long way as well. And I'm very blessed to have a well equipped gym that makes lifting very convenient.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    DYELB wrote: »
    Methinks the OP should lift.
    :p Hey we all have different goals, being overly bulky is not mine, an I lift plenty

Have you tried working your abs boy? :wink:

- Sit ups can even majorly effect how efficient your body is at burning fat meaning you can eat more
    - It can fight skin, muscular and skeletal aging.
    - You'll look better naked
    - daily life is easier when you're stronger
    - Ab work will boost the amount of kcals you burn in the gym and can be incorporated into your cardio routines easily
    - You'll get some defined abs

A basic abs program categorically will NOT make you "pregnant looking" "matronly" or grow a pony tail! :p
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I don't do the free weights (too afraid of dropping them on someone) but I do the weight machines 4 days a week. It is quickly becoming my favorite part of the workout. I get a little boost to my ego every time I stack another 5lbs on the thing. My only complaint is that my jacket is getting a little tight in the shoulders and I really love this jacket.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    A basic weights program categorically will NOT make you "bulky" "manly" or grow a beard! :p

Well I had thought about starting weight training but since I won't be growing a beard nevermind. My face gets cold outside.

Can I at least get a Magnum P.I. 'stache?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Dude- why do you care?

Let us do what we want. It's none of your business if we lift or not.

If someone asks about it- sure go ahead- give your input- but you don't need to be throwing out a blanket subject with slightly condescending terminology.

As for you mr @m4xc4v413r4‌
    Damn, girls in an exercise forum get offended too easily...
    do not confusing ownership of your sense of self as "being offended".

Are you female? Then I'm sorry but you ARE a girl, stop being ***** with all the "taking offense" posts and grow up already.
    we are grown ups- hence why we aren't trying to be called "girl" by some guy we don't know. It's offensive to call someone woman a girl who you are not familiar with- it's a condescending ownership lingo that implies we are essnetially younger and don't know anything. It's rude. You don't have to like it- or agree with it- but the fact of the matter- two pages in -it's clear- WOMEN DON"T LIKE IT. perhaps you should take a social cue- and since you're a man- and not a woman- you don't get to tell a woman what she has the right to be offended over.

When you start being a woman- THEN you can tell us what we can- cannot be offended over. But as a man- you have no dog in this fight.
    Then there's the ones trying to derail the thread by saying the guy is just looking for a girl to pick-up or something... WTF, are you serious?
    because you think it's impossible for that to be a reality?? Good job mansplaning that one away.
    It's a fitness forum, what the hell is wrong with a fitness related question? And a valid one for that matter.
    very specifically this is a forum for a calorie counting site.
    Secondly the way the question is broached is condescending- like we don't know what we are doing- or we don't know better- and thirdly - as if his' random comment is going to really help or sway us- we don't know him or you. You can't just walk into my life and tell me to start doing something. That's not the way this works.
    What he said is 100% true, many women think that by doing weight training they'll get buff which is not true at all, both because of genetics and because they're most probably not going there to lift enough weight for it.

what makes you think we don't already know this???
    His entire posts assumes we don't know any better.
    Yes- the pretense is valid- but the way it's presented is completely ignorant.
  • DangerousDUCK
    DangerousDUCK Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    :p Hey we all have different goals, being overly bulky is not mine, an I lift plenty

- Sit ups can even majorly effect how efficient your body is at burning fat meaning you can eat more
    - Ab work will boost the amount of kcals you burn in the gym and can be incorporated into your cardio routines easily

A basic abs program categorically will NOT make you "pregnant looking" "matronly" or grow a pony tail! :p

Thanks for the advice doll! I'll get cracking on those crunches! :wink:

• triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    kimhere wrote: »
    All the offense on being called a girl?? I'm sorry but I would not have even thought for that to be offensive.

Thank You!

I am with yall! Call me a girl all day if you like! Going to the gym and building muscle doesn't make me any less a girl! I can be bad *kitten* and still sport the pink and fuzzy if I like.
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Thanks for the advice doll! I'll get cracking on those crunches! :wink:

Doll? I thought I was suppose to be a strong girl?? Geez make up your mind sparky. Nice undies BTW
  • DangerousDUCK
    Options
    triciab79 wrote: »
    I don't do the free weights (too afraid of dropping them on someone) but I do the weight machines 4 days a week. It is quickly becoming my favorite part of the workout. I get a little boost to my ego every time I stack another 5lbs on the thing. My only complaint is that my jacket is getting a little tight in the shoulders and I really love this jacket.
    Lifting is easily quantifiable an everyone can show progress and enjoy a little ego boost each time

[/quote]

Well I had thought about starting weight training but since I won't be growing a beard nevermind. My face gets cold outside.

Can I at least get a Magnum P.I. 'stache?[/quote]

Everything is better with a 'tash.

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I love it when noobs make condescending posts tell us girls what we should or shouldn't do.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I love it when noobs make condescending posts tell us girls what we should or shouldn't do.
    How else would I know how to live my life?!
    Options

Will I get one from lifting??
  • DangerousDUCK
    Options

[/quote]
    as if his' random comment is going to really help or sway us- we don't know him or you. You can't just walk into my life and tell me to start doing something. That's not the way this works.

You cant only take advice from people you know? that's ignorant in itself.
    good advice is good advice no matter where it comes from

[/quote]

Yes- the pretense is valid- but the way it's presented is completely ignorant. [/quote]

Some people know, some people don't that's the nature of people, all different

• Iron_Feline
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    How else would I know how to live my life?!

Exactly. We need guidance.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have never seen more adults get worked up over things as I do on MFP general message boards. I'm a grown up lady but I don't care if you call me girl. I say things like "the girls at work" all the time. They are also grown ups but they don't get offended either.

That said, I've tried the heavy lifting programs spouted ad nauseum on these boards and I also found them boring. I didn't find it overly thrilling to lift heavier, not enough to keep carving time out of my already busy schedule to keep doing it. I mostly just do body weight exercises. I prefer cardio as it tends to lower my blood sugar levels more than weight lifting.

I think this is a good topic, though. I think a lot of women come to these threads, whether or not they post, wondering about strength training and come away with a new program and then a new love for fitness. This is a good thing. Just check the "girls" only strength training groups. I have a feeling a lot of people would like to learn more but don't post because of the "we all KNOW that dummy" vibes that get thrown around. I appreciate you opening this particular can of worms again. If nothing else, its entertaining.
  • Iron_Feline
    edited February 2015
    Options
    as if his' random comment is going to really help or sway us- we don't know him or you. You can't just walk into my life and tell me to start doing something. That's not the way this works.

You cant only take advice from people you know? that's ignorant in itself.
    good advice is good advice no matter where it comes from

Yes- the pretense is valid- but the way it's presented is completely ignorant.

Some people know, some people don't that's the nature of people, all different

Yet you aimed this at us poor ignorant girls.

(trying to fix the quotes)
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I am a woman, and I just started lifting about a few weeks ago, so call me a newbie if you will, but I think it may be working better than the cardio for my weight loss.
  • DangerousDUCK
    edited February 2015
    Options

[/quote]

Doll? I thought I was suppose to be a strong girl?? Geez make up your mind sparky. Nice undies BTW[/quote] Was just messing, as she called me Boy

• DangerousDUCK
    Options

Will I get one from lifting??

No, they cost extra
This discussion has been closed.