Girls and Weight training? Yes or No?

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    This thread is hilarious. What was the point of this thread anyways? There is some women on here who have been lifting longer than the amount of years I have been lifting.

The point is that girls are fragile little things that @DangerousDUCK‌ needs to protect from their own inherent ignorance of things outside of the kitchen. So, he'll be there to help him with his expert knowledge, expert because he claims its expert.

Clear? He's here to help them, because they are incapable of helping themselves. Oh, and he's begging for adds, so it's obviously so he can creep.

Bold how I interpret the OP.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    boy am I glad I am a normal girl and don't get offended by the most ridiculous things...
    One day, you'll grow up.

Hair will sprout in strange places, and you'll get a little acne. There's a good chance you might need to get a bra. Eventually, you'll get a job, move out on your own, go to college.

At that point, you'll have a little experience, a few miles on you, and a sense of self respect that would cause you to be offended by being referred to as a child.

One day kiddo, one day.

Check her age?
    If she's a girl, she lied about her age and should probably be on a site like sparkteens.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    zaxx1953 wrote: »
    Icebunny33 wrote: »
    I dont lift weights because I am a total newb and wouldnt know what the hell I was doing. I would love to learn though so that I dont injure myself and I acheive my weight loss goals. If the OP is willing to offer up some knowledge or insights on this, I for one, am very interested.

http://startingstrength.com/

Probably the best site/author on the foundations of lifting on the net and widely quoted/used by virtually everyone seriously into lifting...

Also, I would note that most guys and girls-er, gals?- in the gym have not a damn clue as to what to do, so this is equal opportunity advice....at least women seem to be up to admitting as much while men will go one yr after yr working nonsensical programs that don't have much in the way of perceptible results.

Startingstrength is a great website an book, Mark Rippetoe really goes into great depth about form and technique, you really have to love the subject, not everyone will go that in-depth I think.

I'm not sure I would recommend everyone pick up weight lifting without providing the indepth resources they need to prevent a lot of injuries. And since I was terrified of killing myself and having no clue where to start, I read everything I could. Not doing so is rather reckless...
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    This thread is hilarious. What was the point of this thread anyways? There is some women on here who have been lifting longer than the amount of years I have been lifting.

The point is that girls are fragile little things that @DangerousDUCK‌ needs to protect from their own inherent ignorance of things outside of the kitchen. So, he'll be there to help him with his expert knowledge, expert because he claims its expert.

Clear? He's here to help them, because they are incapable of helping themselves. Oh, and he's begging for adds, so it's obviously so he can creep.

Because creeping at the gym is likely to get him knocked in the head with a 40 pound dumbbell.

• Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    How long til this thread gets shut down, anybody have a guess-timate?
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I'm not getting into stupid arguments on the internet, as I said its an observation and a question based on MY experience in various gyms. If people are offended I don't care as that wasn't the intention of the post. Like them or not I'll give my opinions an observations on a different topic next, I haven't done because I wanted to be able to respond to the posts here.

I think what bothers me the most is that you don't know the word "and" has D at the end. Just an observation based on my experience here.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    boy am I glad I am a normal girl and don't get offended by the most ridiculous things...
    One day, you'll grow up.

Hair will sprout in strange places, and you'll get a little acne. There's a good chance you might need to get a bra. Eventually, you'll get a job, move out on your own, go to college.

At that point, you'll have a little experience, a few miles on you, and a sense of self respect that would cause you to be offended by being referred to as a child.

One day kiddo, one day.

Check her age?

lol lol lol

tyTc1Nl.jpg

Just so you know I got the point.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

negging for adds and nudz!

<takes notes, apparently it is working for him>
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Codilee87 wrote: »

I don't know, but I miss the "roll" game.

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    One day, you'll grow up.

One day kiddo, one day.

Check her age?

lol lol lol

tyTc1Nl.jpg

Just so you know I got the point.

oh really?

If you say so.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I want to clear up something:

If I say I lift, will I get n00dz from OP? To quantify that statement, does it have to be "formal" lifting (ie with bars and plates and actual equipment)?
    52lred422e0l.gif
    Oh my favie! <3
  • Iron_Feline
    edited February 2015
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »

I don't know, but I miss the "roll" game.

Me too - it's just not quite the same.
  • DangerousDUCK
    DangerousDUCK Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I dont lift weights because I am a total newb and wouldnt know what the hell I was doing. I would love to learn though so that I dont injure myself and I acheive my weight loss goals. If the OP is willing to offer up some knowledge or insights on this, I for one, am very interested.

Probably the best site/author on the foundations of lifting on the net and widely quoted/used by virtually everyone seriously into lifting...

Also, I would note that most guys and girls-er, gals?- in the gym have not a damn clue as to what to do, so this is equal opportunity advice....at least women seem to be up to admitting as much while men will go one yr after yr working nonsensical programs that don't have much in the way of perceptible results.

Startingstrength is a great website an book, Mark Rippetoe really goes into great depth about form and technique, you really have to love the subject, not everyone will go that in-depth I think.

I'm not sure I would recommend everyone pick up weight lifting without providing the indepth resources they need to prevent a lot of injuries. And since I was terrified of killing myself and having no clue where to start, I read everything I could. Not doing so is rather reckless...

I agree to a certain extent but very few people will read a 350page tome on barbell training, It would be nice considering how dangerous it can be but very few if any at most gyms will be that well informed

• yopeeps025
    Options
    anyways, i used to do the only cardio thing and knew I should use weights. Tried lifting at a regular gym and I definately agree with the whole trying to get a machine or dumbells issue. Especially the squat rack, that was a nightmare. The time I did it the results were so much better, but I just couldn't deal with it being so busy and difficult to do what you want so I went back to only cardio. Went right back to crappy results. Then I discovered crossfit, so much better! I get the results of lifting but don't have to fight over what I need and get cardio too!

It's not what he said, it's how he said it.

I see nothing wrong with how he said it, so.....?

So you speak for all women?

did I say that? no, I said i was glad I was normal and my opinion of normal is not reading into what every single person says. It is such a waste of time. Sure there are lots of people out there who do say flat out offensive things, but I think how this was written is not the intent.

But you say normal which like the other postersaid implies that normal women would not mind being call "girl". As you see from the thread if you read the whole thing(I did) that more say "girl" is offensive to them. So are these women not "normal?"
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

It's good to see something informative in this thread, but ...

57140002.jpg

heh.

sorry to disappoint- but nope.

nails and motorcycle gloves don't mesh well for me.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy!! Used to do light weights, more reps. Made the switch to less reps more weight ;)
  • DangerousDUCK
    Options
    trixieloo wrote: »
    I'm not getting into stupid arguments on the internet, as I said its an observation and a question based on MY experience in various gyms. If people are offended I don't care as that wasn't the intention of the post. Like them or not I'll give my opinions an observations on a different topic next, I haven't done because I wanted to be able to respond to the posts here.

I think what bothers me the most is that you don't know the word "and" has D at the end. Just an observation based on my experience here.

way to contribute...

• Iron_Feline
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I agree to a certain extent but very few people will read a 350page tome on barbell training, It would be nice considering how dangerous it can be but very few if any at most gyms will be that well informed

"The rule is to use bold and italic as lit­tle as pos­si­ble. They are tools for em­pha­sis. But if every­thing is em­pha­sized, then noth­ing is em­pha­sized. "
  • DangerousDUCK
    Options
    What reason would I be shut down for? never used forums before so I don't know the rules etc
This discussion has been closed.