Girls and Weight training? Yes or No?

Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    I'm not getting into stupid arguments on the internet, as I said its an observation and a question based on MY experience in various gyms. If people are offended I don't care as that wasn't the intention of the post. Like them or not I'll give my opinions an observations on a different topic next, I haven't done because I wanted to be able to respond to the posts here.

No worries OP. Just wait until some poor uneducated "female" comes along and makes an offhand comment about not wanting to "bulk up." Its like a gazelle running in front of a pack of hungry lions.

:D

Icebunny33 wrote: »
    I dont lift weights because I am a total newb and wouldnt know what the hell I was doing. I would love to learn though so that I dont injure myself and I acheive my weight loss goals. If the OP is willing to offer up some knowledge or insights on this, I for one, am very interested.

I'll try answer any questions you have to the best of my knowledge. Most would have to be answered by someone in your local gym etc. :smile:

You're a self-proclaimed n00b at lifting, and you're offering advice to someone who is also a n00b.

Classy.

If you want to 'hit dat' as much as you portray yourself to want to, I strongly suggest Craigslist.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    What did I just walk in to?

A guy digging a hole and throwing the dirt on himself. And/or someone who hasn't realized their lack of oxygen is due to their head being in close proximity to their backside. :)

80ba94e3-c411-439a-ae1a-5022488de2b0.gif
  • Icebunny33
    Options
    I dont lift weights because I am a total newb and wouldnt know what the hell I was doing. I would love to learn though so that I dont injure myself and I acheive my weight loss goals. If the OP is willing to offer up some knowledge or insights on this, I for one, am very interested.

There are some very well respected, knowledgeable people on these boards you can learn from. I wouldn't start with the op.

try the group 'eat train progress'

I was about to suggest the ETP group.
    There are great resources and real knowledge there, without the condescension

Thanks for the tip! Although, I dont think the OP was purposely trying to be condescending. While I think his delivery from the original post lacked finesse (OP, women dont like being called "girls" and sometimes "female" takes on a rather rude tone), I think that the only thing hes guilty of is curiosity (how many women are into lifting) and lack of eloquence (by calling us women girls). I think he asked a question and meant nothing by it. Maybe hes excited about lifting and wants to share that. Maybe he knows some women who he thinks could benefit but who are misinformed on the subject (I.E. If I lift, I'll start to get big like a man) Everyone has different ways of doing and saying things and unfortunately these different ways sometimes clash. However, I dont think its right of me to just assume the OP knows NOTHING on the subject just because he isnt conveying his ideas in a way that makes everyone feel warm and fuzzy or is exactly PC.

But again, thank you for the tip. I will check it out right now ^_^
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

You want someone with a more proven track record to advise you.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    This thread is hilarious. What was the point of this thread anyways? There is some women on here who have been lifting longer than the amount of years I have been lifting.
  • Icebunny33
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I read as much as I could online and watch a ton of videos about form. I also picked a pre-designed beginners program with very basic lifts that weren't complicated.

Nerd Fitness had a great series about lifting called strength training 101:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/01/14/strength-training-101-where-do-i-start/

I literally JUST downloaded this like.... a half hour ago! Thank you!!!

I chose strong lifts as a starting program, and there's a great group for women on here.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Im made of jelly and marshmallow fluff lol, I might have to start somewhere lower on the scale, BUT starting is what I am going to do!

• Pascal56
    Pascal56 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    OP's intent may not have been to be condescending, but when numerous women are saying it was, maybe he should listen. Intentions matter far less than effects. I may not intend to run you over with my car, but does saying "sorry, I didn't mean to" lessen your bodily injuries?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Everyone started somewhere. Even Mr Olympia.

Weight training/resistence training can be broken down into essentially three categories
    Body weight
    Traditional Weights
    Cardio weights (which IS resistance training)

What we are specifically talking about here is often referred to as "heavy" lifting- and includes strength and or hypertrophy (building size)- and you'll want to see the words "progressive loading.

It has less to do with muscle endurance- which is how long can you do the exercise for.

Progresssive loading can fall into body weight or traditional weights- like barbells or dumbbells (BB/DB for short hand)

If you have a gym- or think you might like a gym setting check out
    new rules of lifting/New rules of lifting for women (same book essentially so not a crisis if you don't get the for woman one) - you'll see this written as NROLFW quiet a bit.
    Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts
    Strong curves (this is a lower body focused program by Bret Conteres (sp)- and it's an excellent program for developing your lower body and imporoving shape/size and conditioning)

All of these will include progressive loading- and no- none of it will make you bulky without extra food, years of hard work and or illegal supplements.

If you don't think you'll like the gym- and you think body weight's might be something you like I urge you to look into
    Body By You
    Convict Conditioning
    You are your own gym
    Nerd Fitness (as mentioned- best beginner body weight

Cardio weights: like body pump- body attack or whatever those names for stuff like that are- even cross fit to a degree are typically resistance training- but less about progressive loading and focus on doing the exercise better in that time frame- yes adding weights as nice- but it will be a lot lower weights.

These fall a little more into the I need something to do right now and I have limited space/time: Good workouts- but not good over all programs for long term development.
    Angry trainer fitness
    Daily Hiit
    Zuzuka LIght (youtube)
    Loving Fit by Tatiana
    Bloglaties girl has some good ones
    Fitness Blender is also an option
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I read as much as I could online and watch a ton of videos about form. I also picked a pre-designed beginners program with very basic lifts that weren't complicated.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/01/14/strength-training-101-where-do-i-start/

I literally JUST downloaded this like.... a half hour ago! Thank you!!!

I chose strong lifts as a starting program, and there's a great group for women on here.

Im made of jelly and marshmallow fluff lol, I might have to start somewhere lower on the scale, BUT starting is what I am going to do!

I started lifting when I was still around 250 lbs. But, please find people with experience to ask advice from. Not just someone that has figured out how to bold his text.

ETA: JoRocka would be one of those you should listen to
  • Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    boy am I glad I am a normal girl and don't get offended by the most ridiculous things...
    anyways, i used to do the only cardio thing and knew I should use weights. Tried lifting at a regular gym and I definately agree with the whole trying to get a machine or dumbells issue. Especially the squat rack, that was a nightmare. The time I did it the results were so much better, but I just couldn't deal with it being so busy and difficult to do what you want so I went back to only cardio. Went right back to crappy results. Then I discovered crossfit, so much better! I get the results of lifting but don't have to fight over what I need and get cardio too!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Not a girl; I'm a nice old lady. I attend a power class (sixty minutes of guided group lift to music) but the machines bore me to tears. Also, no amount of weight training will make me look good naked, but I'm OK with that.

248B6AE200000578-2903926-image-m-9_1420835708611.jpg
  • Icebunny33
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Weight training/resistence training can be broken down into essentially three categories
    Body weight
    Traditional Weights

What we are specifically talking about here is often referred to as "heavy" lifting- and includes strength and or hypertrophy (building size)- and you'll want to see the words "progressive loading.

It has less to do with muscle endurance- which is how long can you do the exercise for.

Progresssive loading can fall into body weight or traditional weights- like barbells or dumbbells (BB/DB for short hand)

new rules of lifting/New rules of lifting for women (same book essentially so not a crisis if you don't get the for woman one) - you'll see this written as NROLFW quiet a bit.
    Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts
    Strong curves (this is a lower body focused program by Bret Conteres (sp)- and it's an excellent program for developing your lower body and imporoving shape/size and conditioning)

All of these will include progressive loading- and no- none of it will make you bulky without extra food, years of hard work and or illegal supplements.

If you don't think you'll like the gym- and you think body weight's might be something you like I urge you to look into
    Body By You
    Convict Conditioning
    You are your own gym

Cardio weights: like body pump- body attack or whatever those names for stuff like that are- even cross fit to a degree are typically resistance training- but less about progressive loading and focus on doing the exercise better in that time frame- yes adding weights as nice- but it will be a lot lower weights.

These fall a little more into the I need something to do right now and I have limited space/time: Good workouts- but not good over all programs for long term development.
    Angry trainer fitness
    Daily Hiit
    Zuzuka LIght (youtube)
    Loving Fit by Tatiana

OMG thank you for this. I am going to add this to other peoples replies. Mind if I add you?
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options

Body weight
    Traditional Weights

Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts

Body By You
    Convict Conditioning
    You are your own gym

Angry trainer fitness
    Daily Hiit
    Zuzuka LIght (youtube)
    Loving Fit by Tatiana

It's good to see something informative in this thread, but ...

57140002.jpg
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Just read the OP, let's see where this clarion call for derp went.

@DangerousDUCK - good job new fish.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Body weight
    Traditional Weights

Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts

Body By You
    Convict Conditioning
    You are your own gym

Angry trainer fitness
    Daily Hiit
    Zuzuka LIght (youtube)
    Loving Fit by Tatiana

You didn't put any in bold - how am I supposed to know you know what you're talking about?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    boy am I glad I am a normal girl and don't get offended by the most ridiculous things...
    anyways, i used to do the only cardio thing and knew I should use weights. Tried lifting at a regular gym and I definately agree with the whole trying to get a machine or dumbells issue. Especially the squat rack, that was a nightmare. The time I did it the results were so much better, but I just couldn't deal with it being so busy and difficult to do what you want so I went back to only cardio. Went right back to crappy results. Then I discovered crossfit, so much better! I get the results of lifting but don't have to fight over what I need and get cardio too!

It's not what he said, it's how he said it.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Body weight
    Traditional Weights

Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts

Body By You
    Convict Conditioning
    You are your own gym

Angry trainer fitness
    Daily Hiit
    Zuzuka LIght (youtube)
    Loving Fit by Tatiana

@JoRocka has spend a long time under the bar. She knows her *kitten*.

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Implying that those of us who found the op offensive are not normal?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I agree with you here, Stronglifts 5x5 is a very good plan IMO

I'm sure the girls here were waiting for your stamp of approval.

I'd rather suggest that a program be more oriented towards the person's personal history context, objectives and equipment availability. For example, SL5x5 isn't the program I'd choose for a beginner that needs first some basic stability and body movement work.

(see JoR post upstream for good recommendations)

• Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    Options

It's not what he said, it's how he said it.

I see nothing wrong with how he said it, so.....?

This discussion has been closed.