Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Icebunny33 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    I dont lift weights because I am a total newb and wouldnt know what the hell I was doing. I would love to learn though so that I dont injure myself and I acheive my weight loss goals. If the OP is willing to offer up some knowledge or insights on this, I for one, am very interested.

I read as much as I could online and watch a ton of videos about form. I also picked a pre-designed beginners program with very basic lifts that weren't complicated.

Nerd Fitness had a great series about lifting called strength training 101:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/01/14/strength-training-101-where-do-i-start/

I literally JUST downloaded this like.... a half hour ago! Thank you!!!

I chose strong lifts as a starting program, and there's a great group for women on here.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Im made of jelly and marshmallow fluff lol, I might have to start somewhere lower on the scale, BUT starting is what I am going to do!

I started lifting when I was 235lbs and knew nothing. I researched, and I did have a slight benefit that I prided myself on being "strong" (I am in no way strong compared to a lot of women here and in my gym even after strength training for two years).

The beginner programs start you off with the 45lb barbell. The stronglifts for women group understands that that may be too heavy for a lot of women and discusses how to work your way up. Hell, it gives advice on how to start with a broom handle, which weighs less than a lb.

Definitely don't put off lifting. Even while losing I've had a huge gain in strength, and because I'm maintaining my muscle while losing, I'm loving how my body looks.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    boy am I glad I am a normal girl and don't get offended by the most ridiculous things...
    anyways, i used to do the only cardio thing and knew I should use weights. Tried lifting at a regular gym and I definately agree with the whole trying to get a machine or dumbells issue. Especially the squat rack, that was a nightmare. The time I did it the results were so much better, but I just couldn't deal with it being so busy and difficult to do what you want so I went back to only cardio. Went right back to crappy results. Then I discovered crossfit, so much better! I get the results of lifting but don't have to fight over what I need and get cardio too!

It's not what he said, it's how he said it.

I see nothing wrong with how he said it, so.....?

Ignorance is bliss.

Continue being happy, it's probably for the best.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    This 51 yo girl probably does not weight train in the way you mean, but I do plenty of strength training. I workout with dumbbells, resistance bands, kettlebell, body weight, weed eater, shovel, hoe, rake, push lawn mower, post hole digger, maul, ax and chainsaw.

Other than the occasional hotel workout room, I've never been to a gym in my life. I don't enjoy lifting weights and mostly only do it when there isn't enough farm work to keep me strong.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    As a guy, muscle tone on a woman is dead sexy. I used to rock climb at a climbing gym, and those girls were incredible.
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I dont lift weights because I am a total newb and wouldnt know what the hell I was doing. I would love to learn though so that I dont injure myself and I acheive my weight loss goals. If the OP is willing to offer up some knowledge or insights on this, I for one, am very interested.

http://startingstrength.com/

Probably the best site/author on the foundations of lifting on the net and widely quoted/used by virtually everyone seriously into lifting...

Also, I would note that most guys and girls-er, gals?- in the gym have not a damn clue as to what to do, so this is equal opportunity advice....at least women seem to be up to admitting as much while men will go one yr after yr working nonsensical programs that don't have much in the way of perceptible results.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    boy am I glad I am a normal girl and don't get offended by the most ridiculous things...
    anyways, i used to do the only cardio thing and knew I should use weights. Tried lifting at a regular gym and I definately agree with the whole trying to get a machine or dumbells issue. Especially the squat rack, that was a nightmare. The time I did it the results were so much better, but I just couldn't deal with it being so busy and difficult to do what you want so I went back to only cardio. Went right back to crappy results. Then I discovered crossfit, so much better! I get the results of lifting but don't have to fight over what I need and get cardio too!

So you speak for all women?
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Jelaan wrote: »
    Well I'm a woman and I love weight training. I enjoy the challenge and especially how it makes my body feel and look. I find cardio a little boring so I have to keep switching up what I am doing there but I never find weights boring.

btw if you want to know if women find being called a girl offensive then ask them. Personally I find it patronizing (although I realize that was not your intent) and I would never call a grown man a boy.

I always equate girl to guy, not so much boy, but i see your point.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'm sure people will take offence to this too but why are people so *kitten* precious these days? Seriously, political correctness has gotten outta hand! If the intent behind the OP's question wasn't nasty then why the *kitten* is everyone getting on thier damn high horses? Toughen up people!

Your hypocrisy is overwhelming.

There is much hypocrisy and irony in this thread that I find rather funny.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'm sure people will take offence to this too but why are people so *kitten* precious these days? Seriously, political correctness has gotten outta hand! If the intent behind the OP's question wasn't nasty then why the *kitten* is everyone getting on thier damn high horses? Toughen up people!

I'M OFFENDED BY PEOPLE BEING OFFENDED.

THAT'S WHY I FLAG PEOPLE WHO DON'T AGREE WITH ME!
    Well done anarchy kid.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    DYELB wrote: »
    DYELB wrote: »
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    I have never seen more adults get worked up over things as I do on MFP general message boards. I'm a grown up lady but I don't care if you call me girl. I say things like "the girls at work" all the time. They are also grown ups but they don't get offended either.

That said, I've tried the heavy lifting programs spouted ad nauseum on these boards and I also found them boring. I didn't find it overly thrilling to lift heavier, not enough to keep carving time out of my already busy schedule to keep doing it. I mostly just do body weight exercises. I prefer cardio as it tends to lower my blood sugar levels more than weight lifting.

I think this is a good topic, though. I think a lot of women come to these threads, whether or not they post, wondering about strength training and come away with a new program and then a new love for fitness. This is a good thing. Just check the "girls" only strength training groups. I have a feeling a lot of people would like to learn more but don't post because of the "we all KNOW that dummy" vibes that get thrown around. I appreciate you opening this particular can of worms again. If nothing else, its entertaining.

So you're telling me what I should and shouldn't be offended over?

I didn't tell you anything. I don't even know you. I was making an observation about the OP that boils down to my opinion. Or am I not allowed to have that? Oh, wait, that wasn't what you were saying right? In general, though, life has way too many things to worry about than one person bringing up a topic and using language that may offend some, but doesn't offend others. Just my opinion of course, you're free to get offended but it reflects poorly (again, my opinion) on you, not him. I don't know him, or you, or anyone else around here enough to get offended by a word thrown out, especially when I understood exactly what he was saying.

You haven't been looking very hard. Check out a new parents forum sometime.

I heard the wedding forums are just as bad as new parent forums

I might be biased since I just had a kid, but I unfortunately had to wade through both at different times. While both are bad, the kid ones were (obviously my opinion) WAY worse.

Since I'm childless & #foreveralone (thanks for the reminder! =P), I don't have any opinions on either. But I've been told both are pretty rough. But I can see how a parenting forum would be worse than a wedding forum.
    I wish you luck on your wading lol
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Well I'm a woman and I love weight training. I enjoy the challenge and especially how it makes my body feel and look. I find cardio a little boring so I have to keep switching up what I am doing there but I never find weights boring.

btw if you want to know if women find being called a girl offensive then ask them. Personally I find it patronizing (although I realize that was not your intent) and I would never call a grown man a boy.

For me guy/guys is a gender-neutral term (since the english language is sadly lacking in that department) But I also call everyone 'dude' so I'm probably not the right one to ask lol Just don't ever call me a lady - its just weird.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

I'M OFFENDED BY PEOPLE BEING OFFENDED.

THAT'S WHY I FLAG PEOPLE WHO DON'T AGREE WITH ME!
    Well done anarchy kid.

She created a paradox and ended up exploding.
  • dbmata
    Options
    One day, you'll grow up.

Hair will sprout in strange places, and you'll get a little acne. There's a good chance you might need to get a bra. Eventually, you'll get a job, move out on your own, go to college.

At that point, you'll have a little experience, a few miles on you, and a sense of self respect that would cause you to be offended by being referred to as a child.

One day kiddo, one day.
  • DangerousDUCK
    DangerousDUCK Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    zaxx1953 wrote: »

http://startingstrength.com/

Probably the best site/author on the foundations of lifting on the net and widely quoted/used by virtually everyone seriously into lifting...

Also, I would note that most guys and girls-er, gals?- in the gym have not a damn clue as to what to do, so this is equal opportunity advice....at least women seem to be up to admitting as much while men will go one yr after yr working nonsensical programs that don't have much in the way of perceptible results.

Startingstrength is a great website an book, Mark Rippetoe really goes into great depth about form and technique, you really have to love the subject, not everyone will go that in-depth I think.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    This 51 yo girl probably does not weight train in the way you mean, but I do plenty of strength training. I workout with dumbbells, resistance bands, kettlebell, body weight, weed eater, shovel, hoe, rake, push lawn mower, post hole digger, maul, ax and chainsaw.

Other than the occasional hotel workout room, I've never been to a gym in my life. I don't enjoy lifting weights and mostly only do it when there isn't enough farm work to keep me strong.

Remind me to never piss you off...
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    One day, you'll grow up.

Hair will sprout in strange places, and you'll get a little acne. There's a good chance you might need to get a bra. Eventually, you'll get a job, move out on your own, go to college.

At that point, you'll have a little experience, a few miles on you, and a sense of self respect that would cause you to be offended by being referred to as a child.

One day kiddo, one day.

Check her age?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Codilee87 wrote: »

For me guy/guys is a gender-neutral term (since the english language is sadly lacking in that department) But I also call everyone 'dude' so I'm probably not the right one to ask lol Just don't ever call me a lady - its just weird.

Hey! I call everyone dude too! Including my boss and mother
  • dbmata
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    This thread is hilarious. What was the point of this thread anyways? There is some women on here who have been lifting longer than the amount of years I have been lifting.

The point is that girls are fragile little things that @DangerousDUCK‌ needs to protect from their own inherent ignorance of things outside of the kitchen. So, he'll be there to help him with his expert knowledge, expert because he claims its expert.

Clear? He's here to help them, because they are incapable of helping themselves. Oh, and he's begging for adds, so it's obviously so he can creep.
  • Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    Options

So you speak for all women?

did I say that? no, I said i was glad I was normal and my opinion of normal is not reading into what every single person says. It is such a waste of time. Sure there are lots of people out there who do say flat out offensive things, but I think how this was written is not the intent.

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    One day, you'll grow up.

One day kiddo, one day.

Check her age?

lol lol lol

tyTc1Nl.jpg
This discussion has been closed.