Girls and Weight training? Yes or No?

Options

Replies

• goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I lift because I like it.

Not everyone does though. I have a friend who does P90X because she doesn't like lifting weights. No matter how many benefits there are it's all about personal preference.
  • BeccaBell77
    BeccaBell77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love how i feel after weight training, I use the exercises on bodybuilding.com
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Icebunny33 wrote: »
    I dont lift weights because I am a total newb and wouldnt know what the hell I was doing. I would love to learn though so that I dont injure myself and I acheive my weight loss goals. If the OP is willing to offer up some knowledge or insights on this, I for one, am very interested.

There are some very well respected, knowledgeable people on these boards you can learn from. I wouldn't start with the op.

try the group 'eat train progress'
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    DYELB wrote: »
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    I have never seen more adults get worked up over things as I do on MFP general message boards. I'm a grown up lady but I don't care if you call me girl. I say things like "the girls at work" all the time. They are also grown ups but they don't get offended either.

That said, I've tried the heavy lifting programs spouted ad nauseum on these boards and I also found them boring. I didn't find it overly thrilling to lift heavier, not enough to keep carving time out of my already busy schedule to keep doing it. I mostly just do body weight exercises. I prefer cardio as it tends to lower my blood sugar levels more than weight lifting.

I think this is a good topic, though. I think a lot of women come to these threads, whether or not they post, wondering about strength training and come away with a new program and then a new love for fitness. This is a good thing. Just check the "girls" only strength training groups. I have a feeling a lot of people would like to learn more but don't post because of the "we all KNOW that dummy" vibes that get thrown around. I appreciate you opening this particular can of worms again. If nothing else, its entertaining.

So you're telling me what I should and shouldn't be offended over?

I didn't tell you anything. I don't even know you. I was making an observation about the OP that boils down to my opinion. Or am I not allowed to have that? Oh, wait, that wasn't what you were saying right? In general, though, life has way too many things to worry about than one person bringing up a topic and using language that may offend some, but doesn't offend others. Just my opinion of course, you're free to get offended but it reflects poorly (again, my opinion) on you, not him. I don't know him, or you, or anyone else around here enough to get offended by a word thrown out, especially when I understood exactly what he was saying.

You haven't been looking very hard. Check out a new parents forum sometime.

I heard the wedding forums are just as bad as new parent forums
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    I'm not getting into stupid arguments on the internet, as I said its an observation and a question based on MY experience in various gyms. If people are offended I don't care as that wasn't the intention of the post. Like them or not I'll give my opinions an observations on a different topic next, I haven't done because I wanted to be able to respond to the posts here.

We'll be looking forward to it, we'll spot it by the overuse of bold text.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I dont lift weights because I am a total newb and wouldnt know what the hell I was doing. I would love to learn though so that I dont injure myself and I acheive my weight loss goals. If the OP is willing to offer up some knowledge or insights on this, I for one, am very interested.

There are some very well respected, knowledgeable people on these boards you can learn from. I wouldn't start with the op.

try the group 'eat train progress'

I was about to suggest the ETP group.
    There are great resources and real knowledge there, without the condescension
  • rayneface
    rayneface Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Girl:
    "In casual context, the word has positive uses, as evidenced by its use in titles of popular music. It has been used playfully for people acting in an energetic fashion or as a way of unifying women of all ages on the basis of their once having been girls. These positive uses mean gender rather than age."

So now that I got that off my chest....

I think weight lifting is extremely beneficial to anyone's training plan. For me personally it has helped reshape my body and given me great amounts of confidence. I think weight lifting is empowering and it is much more fun than being on a piece of cardio equipment. I also find it easier to gauge my progress and my gains; adding weight to a lift or a particular exercise seems much more tangible to me than shaving off a few seconds from my mile time.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    I'm not getting into stupid arguments on the internet, as I said its an observation and a question based on MY experience in various gyms. If people are offended I don't care as that wasn't the intention of the post. Like them or not I'll give my opinions an observations on a different topic next, I haven't done because I wanted to be able to respond to the posts here.

No worries OP. Just wait until some poor uneducated "girl" comes along and makes an offhand comment about not wanting to "bulk up." Its like a gazelle running in front of a pack of hungry lions.

FIFY
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I lift, and am lucky to have my own set up at home so gym and gym issues are not my problem. I don't mind being called a girl, I have more important things to complain about.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I read as much as I could online and watch a ton of videos about form. I also picked a pre-designed beginners program with very basic lifts that weren't complicated.

Nerd Fitness had a great series about lifting called strength training 101:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/01/14/strength-training-101-where-do-i-start/

I chose strong lifts as a starting program, and there's a great group for women on here.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Dude- why do you care?

Let us do what we want. It's none of your business if we lift or not.

If someone asks about it- sure go ahead- give your input- but you don't need to be throwing out a blanket subject with slightly condescending terminology.

As for you mr @m4xc4v413r4‌
    Damn, girls in an exercise forum get offended too easily...
    do not confusing ownership of your sense of self as "being offended".

Are you female? Then I'm sorry but you ARE a girl, stop being ***** with all the "taking offense" posts and grow up already.
    we are grown ups- hence why we aren't trying to be called "girl" by some guy we don't know. It's offensive to call someone woman a girl who you are not familiar with- it's a condescending ownership lingo that implies we are essnetially younger and don't know anything. It's rude. You don't have to like it- or agree with it- but the fact of the matter- two pages in -it's clear- WOMEN DON"T LIKE IT. perhaps you should take a social cue- and since you're a man- and not a woman- you don't get to tell a woman what she has the right to be offended over.

When you start being a woman- THEN you can tell us what we can- cannot be offended over. But as a man- you have no dog in this fight.
    Then there's the ones trying to derail the thread by saying the guy is just looking for a girl to pick-up or something... WTF, are you serious?
    because you think it's impossible for that to be a reality?? Good job mansplaning that one away.
    It's a fitness forum, what the hell is wrong with a fitness related question? And a valid one for that matter.
    very specifically this is a forum for a calorie counting site.
    Secondly the way the question is broached is condescending- like we don't know what we are doing- or we don't know better- and thirdly - as if his' random comment is going to really help or sway us- we don't know him or you. You can't just walk into my life and tell me to start doing something. That's not the way this works.
    What he said is 100% true, many women think that by doing weight training they'll get buff which is not true at all, both because of genetics and because they're most probably not going there to lift enough weight for it.

what makes you think we don't already know this???
    His entire posts assumes we don't know any better.
    Yes- the pretense is valid- but the way it's presented is completely ignorant.

>slow clap<

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have never seen more adults get worked up over things as I do on MFP general message boards. I'm a grown up lady but I don't care if you call me girl. I say things like "the girls at work" all the time. They are also grown ups but they don't get offended either.

That said, I've tried the heavy lifting programs spouted ad nauseum on these boards and I also found them boring. I didn't find it overly thrilling to lift heavier, not enough to keep carving time out of my already busy schedule to keep doing it. I mostly just do body weight exercises. I prefer cardio as it tends to lower my blood sugar levels more than weight lifting.

I think this is a good topic, though. I think a lot of women come to these threads, whether or not they post, wondering about strength training and come away with a new program and then a new love for fitness. This is a good thing. Just check the "girls" only strength training groups. I have a feeling a lot of people would like to learn more but don't post because of the "we all KNOW that dummy" vibes that get thrown around. I appreciate you opening this particular can of worms again. If nothing else, its entertaining.

I didn't tell you anything. I don't even know you. I was making an observation about the OP that boils down to my opinion. Or am I not allowed to have that? Oh, wait, that wasn't what you were saying right? In general, though, life has way too many things to worry about than one person bringing up a topic and using language that may offend some, but doesn't offend others. Just my opinion of course, you're free to get offended but it reflects poorly (again, my opinion) on you, not him. I don't know him, or you, or anyone else around here enough to get offended by a word thrown out, especially when I understood exactly what he was saying.

I was on the scariest wedding forum and even some of those ladies were scared of the parenting forums. I haven't ever ventured there to compare though.
  • DangerousDUCK
    DangerousDUCK Posts: 181 Member
    Options

No worries OP. Just wait until some poor uneducated "female" comes along and makes an offhand comment about not wanting to "bulk up." Its like a gazelle running in front of a pack of hungry lions.

:D

I'll try answer any questions you have to the best of my knowledge. Most would have to be answered by someone in your local gym etc. :smile:

• Iron_Feline
    Options
    rayneface wrote: »
    Girl:
    "In casual context, the word has positive uses, as evidenced by its use in titles of popular music. It has been used playfully for people acting in an energetic fashion or as a way of unifying women of all ages on the basis of their once having been girls. These positive uses mean gender rather than age."

So now that I got that off my chest....

I think weight lifting is extremely beneficial to anyone's training plan. For me personally it has helped reshape my body and given me great amounts of confidence. I think weight lifting is empowering and it is much more fun than being on a piece of cardio equipment. I also find it easier to gauge my progress and my gains; adding weight to a lift or a particular exercise seems much more tangible to me than shaving off a few seconds from my mile time.

Much depends on the context.

• sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options

We'll be looking forward to it, we'll spot it by the overuse of bold text.

hsouthparkdemotivationalposter-vi.jpg

• DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options

I might be biased since I just had a kid, but I unfortunately had to wade through both at different times. While both are bad, the kid ones were (obviously my opinion) WAY worse.
  • Iron_Feline
    edited February 2015
    Options

No worries OP. Just wait until some poor uneducated "female" comes along and makes an offhand comment about not wanting to "bulk up." Its like a gazelle running in front of a pack of hungry lions.

:D

I'll try answer any questions you have to the best of my knowledge. Most would have to be answered by someone in your local gym etc. :smile:

bwahhhhhh no

edited the bold so you can see what my no relates to
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I'm sure people will take offence to this too but why are people so *kitten* precious these days? Seriously, political correctness has gotten outta hand! If the intent behind the OP's question wasn't nasty then why the *kitten* is everyone getting on thier damn high horses? Toughen up people!

Your hypocrisy is overwhelming.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I read as much as I could online and watch a ton of videos about form. I also picked a pre-designed beginners program with very basic lifts that weren't complicated.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/01/14/strength-training-101-where-do-i-start/

I chose strong lifts as a starting program, and there's a great group for women on here.

Also New Rules of Lifting for Women
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • DangerousDUCK
    DangerousDUCK Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I agree with you here, Stronglifts 5x5 is a very good plan IMO
This discussion has been closed.