Girls and Weight training? Yes or No?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Doll? I thought I was suppose to be a strong girl?? Geez make up your mind sparky. Nice undies BTW
    Was just messing, as she called me Boy

If it helps: the ones with the / are the end quotes. They end the quote. You need a balance of the ones with the / and ones without the /.

And they need to be around the quotes.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    as if his' random comment is going to really help or sway us- we don't know him or you. You can't just walk into my life and tell me to start doing something. That's not the way this works.

You cant only take advice from people you know? that's ignorant in itself.
    good advice is good advice no matter where it comes from

what makes you think we don't already know this???
    His entire posts assumes we don't know any better.
    Yes- the pretense is valid- but the way it's presented is completely ignorant.

Some people know, some people don't that's the nature of people, all different

You're new here. You don't know anything about the people that are here. This subject comes up- we talk about it. It's really REALLY vapid of you to just ask- yo- womzinzeyz DYELB??

ummmm geeee sir- I don't even know what lifting is? what does that mean? My gallon of milk?

Because gosh almight- that's really heavy!!!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    I have never seen more adults get worked up over things as I do on MFP general message boards. I'm a grown up lady but I don't care if you call me girl. I say things like "the girls at work" all the time. They are also grown ups but they don't get offended either.

That said, I've tried the heavy lifting programs spouted ad nauseum on these boards and I also found them boring. I didn't find it overly thrilling to lift heavier, not enough to keep carving time out of my already busy schedule to keep doing it. I mostly just do body weight exercises. I prefer cardio as it tends to lower my blood sugar levels more than weight lifting.

I think this is a good topic, though. I think a lot of women come to these threads, whether or not they post, wondering about strength training and come away with a new program and then a new love for fitness. This is a good thing. Just check the "girls" only strength training groups. I have a feeling a lot of people would like to learn more but don't post because of the "we all KNOW that dummy" vibes that get thrown around. I appreciate you opening this particular can of worms again. If nothing else, its entertaining.

So you're telling me what I should and shouldn't be offended over?
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I lift, you can call me a girl all you want, no offense taken. I am more offended when someone calls me ma'am....makes me feel old :)
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I strength train. I have to be very careful because I have a wonky SI Joint and I'm hypermobile, but overall, having stronger muscles makes up for having weird joints. I don't particularly enjoy it - cardio is more fun - but I do it anyway. I took a few months worth of gym membership fees and bought weights for home. I do it while watching Ellen or What Not To Wear or Golden Girls reruns. It's like lifting weights with Betty White.

The other day, I bought an electric fireplace/mantle at Home Depot. It took two guys with a forklift to get it into my truck, and I got it out and into my house by myself. Wasn't pretty, but I got the job done. Being able to do stuff like that makes it all worth while.

Plus, it makes my bum look good.
  • DangerousDUCK
    DangerousDUCK Posts: 181 Member
    Options

Doll? I thought I was suppose to be a strong girl?? Geez make up your mind sparky. Nice undies BTW
    Was just messing, as she called me Boy

If it helps: the ones with the / are the end quotes. They end the quote. You need a balance of the ones with the / and ones without the /.

And they need to be around the quotes.

New to forum stuff, certainly learnt a bit today! haha

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »
    I lift, you can call me a girl all you want, no offense taken. I am more offended when someone calls me ma'am....makes me feel old :)

Heh. That's how I feel when someone calls me Mrs. Stroehm. That's my mother damn it. Not me. :D
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Dear OP,

Stop digging.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    as if his' random comment is going to really help or sway us- we don't know him or you. You can't just walk into my life and tell me to start doing something. That's not the way this works.

Yet you aimed this at us poor ignorant girls.

(trying to fix the quotes)
    YES!!!!!

Also- no- you don't take advice from people you don't know- and who have no credentials or track record of success or knowledge.

You are new- you have NO history or evidence to support your supposition- you just waltz right in here and assume we don't know. So yeah- excuse me while I pass on your "advice"

DYELB?
  • DangerousDUCK
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Dear OP,

Stop digging.

Nah its good workout!

I wont do research or speak from experience in future I'll just ask questions of the al'mighty instead.
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Jesus Christ.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Dear OP,

Stop digging.

Nah its good workout!

I wont do research or speak from experience in future I'll just ask questions of the al'mighty instead.

Or... have a look around a community, get to know the people, before you assume a position of authority. There's that option as well. Cheers! :drinker:
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ.

IKR - op's here two days and telling all us girls what to do.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Dear OP,

Stop digging.

Nah its good workout!

Or... have a look around a community, get to know the people, before you assume a position of authority. There's that option as well. Cheers! :drinker:

Get out of here with that logic. We don't allow that type of thinking here. Actually it seems we don't allow ANY thinking- so go on you- OUT!!! OUT WITH THE LOGIC!
  • DangerousDUCK
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Yet you aimed this at us poor ignorant girls.

(trying to fix the quotes)
    YES!!!!!

Also- no- you don't take advice from people you don't know- and who have no credentials or track record of success or knowledge.

You are new- you have NO history or evidence to support your supposition- you just waltz right in here and assume we don't know. So yeah- excuse me while I pass on your "advice"

DYELB?

Pass on it. no one will lose sleep.

As I said just an opinion on a forum, based on my experience, dont get offended or irate about it just dont post on it. simple

• DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Dear OP,

Stop digging.

Nah its good workout!

You have experience? What kind of protein you on, dawg?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »

Heh. That's how I feel when someone calls me Mrs. Stroehm. That's my mother damn it. Not me. :D
    I'm always sad because no one calls me Dr. Except my mom. Then someone does randomly, and I get confused...
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Dear OP,

Stop digging.

Nah its good workout!

Well maybe prove yourself a bit, instead of being a condescending ________ (you can fill in the blank) What experience do you bring? Right now you are just some annoying guy

Also why just pick out the poor helpless girls, what about the guys? Lifting isn't good for them?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited February 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Dear OP,

Stop digging.

Nah its good workout!

Get out of here with that logic. We don't allow that type of thinking here. Actually it seems we don't allow ANY thinking- so go on you- OUT!!! OUT WITH THE LOGIC!

Hear hear :D
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Dear OP,

Stop digging.

Nah its good workout!

Well maybe prove yourself a bit, instead of being a condescending ________ (you can fill in the blank) What experience do you bring? Right now you are just some annoying guy

Also why just pick out the poor helpless girls, what about the guys? Lifting isn't good for them?

But they don't need instruction, just us poor girls.
This discussion has been closed.