Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Every time I see the lid of that box it looks like two alien heads to me. I know they're bunnies, but I see alien heads.

The bento on the other hand doesn't look like aliens. It looks delicious!
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I see alien heads or angry lemons, depends on my mood. I never see bunnies and it amuses me that that's what they are supposed to be!
  • mangrothian
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I just giggle at the bad translations I have on my boxes

"Let's play! I want to be a friend of you!" This one is on 3 of my bento boxes, my snack boxes and my chopstick containers.

"Clapping march musician. The music will start soon!"

"Clapping march picnic. It's fine! Let's go out"

"Deli style. I wish it is a good day today"
  • funnygirl2004
    Options
    Great ideas. Can't wait to read more of this thread.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I've been lurking here for a while, and getting some great ideas. Thanks!

I have always packed my own lunches, just a bunch of containers tossed together. Recently I bought a Bentgo, and packed it up with a good amount of food. Right portions, for a binger like me.

Anyways, the first day I microwaved the top portion for 30 seconds, and now the lid won't stay on it :-( Very disappointed :-( The elastic strap does help keep the lid somewhat tight.

I'm not sure if I want to purchase another product, for more money, to have this happen again. Just stating my experience.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options

I have always packed my own lunches, just a bunch of containers tossed together. Recently I bought a Bentgo, and packed it up with a good amount of food. Right portions, for a binger like me.

Anyways, the first day I microwaved the top portion for 30 seconds, and now the lid won't stay on it :-( Very disappointed :-( The elastic strap does help keep the lid somewhat tight.

I'm not sure if I want to purchase another product, for more money, to have this happen again. Just stating my experience.

Did you microwave the lid or just the container? Most bentos have lids that cannot be microwaved, and a few bentos cannot be microwaved at all. I would check for labels on yours, or go back to where you bought it (store/website) and look at care instructions.

And if you'd like to keep using this one with the strap to secure it, just make sure you only pack dry things in it.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Even those bentos that are microwaveable recommend that you not put lids in the microwave. It will warp the lid. It's better just to cover the food with a napkin while microwaving. I hope you'll give it another shot!
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Today's bento: sesame fish on a bed of dirty rice, mixed veggies, fresh broccoli & cherry tomatoes with ranch dressing, & half a boiled egg - heart shaped today!
    fs4dku77wuac.jpg
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Have you guys seen the video about making inside-out boiled eggs? With the yolk on the outside? I'm definitely going to try that.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Have you guys seen the video about making inside-out boiled eggs? With the yolk on the outside? I'm definitely going to try that.

<- googling...

Wow, that's pretty weird. I wonder if the yolk stays nice and creamy and smooth or if it gets kind of rubbery around the middle? The video I watched was in Japanese, so I have no idea :smile:

• SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Yeah, I probably won't have time til next week, but I will definitely be making a full report with photos. :D
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Everyone posting has some of the same bento boxes I have XD.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Everyone posting has some of the same bento boxes I have XD.

That just shows that you have an awesome collection then ^_^

It seems.... intriguing. I just can't see how it would taste any good with the yolk being cooked the most. I think I might try the scrambling the egg in its shell though. Also if you need to, I can have a go at translating that video. It won't be accurate, but I can try.
  • mangrothian
    edited February 2015
    Options

That's sad to hear. I only have one Bento box that can be microwaved at all, and even then without the lids. Only a couple of mine are even dishwasher safe (my husband has been the cause of reminding me of this a couple of times! :( ), so for me, none of them go in the microwave, and none go in the dishwasher.

EDIT: I just looked at the Bentgo website (it seems I actually have an identical box (even the strap) under a different brand name). It didn't give specifics on the item page other than it was microwavable, but the Bentgo FAQ states:
    Is the Bentgo Lunch Box Microwave safe?
    Yes, the top and bottom containers of your Bentgo Lunch Box are safe to microwave. To ensure a snug fit for the life of your Bentgo Lunch Box, we recommend that you NOT microwave the top lid or divider that sits between the two containers.

Note: Microwave is for reheating food only, not for cooking it. It is not recommended to use in the microwave for over 3 minutes.

I actually think its ridiculous that they don't post this full tidbit of information on each item page - it wouldn't hurt O_o

This seems to be a common thing with most of the containers. Then again, even my tupperware, sistema and ikea containers all have their lids warp eventually when they're being used in the microwave.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    finally got my leftover taco night bento! Here's ground chicken w/ sazon seasoning, black beans, shredded cheese, yellow saffron rice & masa crisps with flax.
    fyimbkwt0sxx.jpg

This looks amazing! *drools*

I'm hoping when my monbento comes in, I will be able to pack breakfast, lunch, and snacks in it to fill up the whole two tiers. We'll see how well that works.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options

I'm hoping when my monbento comes in, I will be able to pack breakfast, lunch, and snacks in it to fill up the whole two tiers. We'll see how well that works.

It was delish! The monbento are about twice the size of my red bento in the picture, you should have no problem getting all that in one.

• SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    It came! Soooo happy with this bento! It's actually a little bigger than I was expecting, and I managed to pack in a lot for today's dinner. Red wine vinegar pork, carrots and baby peppers, tea egg, and brown rice ramen. I cooked the noodles, cooled them and tossed them with a little peanut oil since they aren't instant noodles and will require more than just hot water to cook. I hope that keeps them from congealing. The miso packet for the ramen goes in the hat. I'll be able to pour a bit of hot water into the hat bowl, add half the noodles and miso, some veggies and pork, and then do it all over again. :)

1795621_957919074220732_4959034156704015763_n.jpg?oh=97bdf311450fd22985a57edf38d64b02&oe=554CB8BD

10403350_957919120887394_695921205639324451_n.jpg?oh=3801656be7b3792e3a84877f3c6b5448&oe=55634522
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    @snugglesmacks that looks amazing! I would have never thought to do it that way. Thinking inside the box is sometimes harder than thinking outside it!
  • satansees
    satansees Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Finally got my monbento after chasing FedEx all week (I hate them so much!). It's really pretty and very green, but huge! Think I'm going to pack two days lunches - a tier each.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    satansees wrote: »
    Finally got my monbento after chasing FedEx all week (I hate them so much!). It's really pretty and very green, but huge! Think I'm going to pack two days lunches - a tier each.

I know! The hugeness shocked me. Since I work upwards of 12 hours a day, I think i'm going to try and pack one tier as lunch and one as dinner. I'm still in the planning stage on it though.