Does anyone use a waist cincher/trainer?

Options

Replies

• EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I would only use that for a Cosplay to achieve a more pronounced hourglass shape...
    would never recommend it as a weight loss tool.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »

I think everyone is right in saying that it won't help you lose weight. But if you're using it for fashion purposes or to accentuate your waist in certain clothes, then that's your choice as long as you're careful. As someone who dresses up and goes to cons, people use things like this all the time to achieve a look. But they're no skinnier afterwards.

She has explicitly said that dressing up is NOT why she wants this.
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    I've seen pics on IG of men wearing them when working out. What a turn off.

bahahaha!!!!!!!

• killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Oh, and absolutely not.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    They work by distorting your rib cage and pushing your internal organs out of their normal place. Wearing corsets was why Victorian women had so many health issues and were fainting all the time.

corset_zpsoportrgc.jpg

I thought it was from the vapors?
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

tumblr_mwycrf58eo1rzik3go1_250.gif

Um...no. That would totally suck to squat and deadlift in....or do anything in really.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Guys, please stop perpetuating Victorian stereotypes. Corsets did NOT ruin women's health and Victorian illustrations weren't accurate at depicting what happened when a woman tight laced. There's no evidence it hinder child bearing.

Here's a link to a good article that examines what corsets do to your body for good or ill: http://io9.com/no-corsets-did-not-destroy-the-health-of-victorian-wom-1545644060

As a reenactor who has occasion to wear the darn things: tight laced corsets will NOT make you lose or gain weight, although you do tend to feel full a bit sooner when you eat. The corset itself does not make me sweat much more than I ordinarily would - it's the chemise under it, the cover over it, the 2 or three layers of petticoats, the pantalets, knee socks and the heavy dress that I wear with it that make me sweat so much! (That's why I have a bottle of water hidden in my market basket and a tin cup full of water at my side when I dress up and act as a docent.) They also do NOT do any damage to your body. I personally am much happier when my day is over and I can swap into a sports bra, but I know some women who prefer the darn things - they say it supports their backs and doesn't leave divots.

Will it change the shape of your body? If you tight lace continually and sleep in the darn thing. . .yes. Will it hurt you? Ehhh. . .read the article. When you're in the thing, it will probably diminsh the amount of oxygen you get. If you don't take it off, you're likely to eat less as well. . .but no, you won't drop dead or faint. (The fainting thing was, well, it was fashionable to faint. So women fainted. Or rather, they mock fainted. And wearing 8 layers of clothing with or without a corset. . .yeah. You have a tendency to overheat in the summer and you might faint from that.)
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    They work by distorting your rib cage and pushing your internal organs out of their normal place. Wearing corsets was why Victorian women had so many health issues and were fainting all the time.

corset_zpsoportrgc.jpg

I thought it was from the vapors?

Oh my.... I was going to say that... I'm-I'm getting light headed... *swoons*
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Guys, please stop perpetuating Victorian stereotypes. Corsets did NOT ruin women's health and Victorian illustrations weren't accurate at depicting what happened when a woman tight laced. There's no evidence it hinder child bearing.

Here's a link to a good article that examines what corsets do to your body for good or ill: http://io9.com/no-corsets-did-not-destroy-the-health-of-victorian-wom-1545644060

As a reenactor who has occasion to wear the darn things: tight laced corsets will NOT make you lose or gain weight, although you do tend to feel full a bit sooner when you eat. The corset itself does not make me sweat much more than I ordinarily would - it's the chemise under it, the cover over it, the 2 or three layers of petticoats, the pantalets, knee socks and the heavy dress that I wear with it that make me sweat so much! (That's why I have a bottle of water hidden in my market basket and a tin cup full of water at my side when I dress up and act as a docent.) They also do NOT do any damage to your body. I personally am much happier when my day is over and I can swap into a sports bra, but I know some women who prefer the darn things - they say it supports their backs and doesn't leave divots.

Will it change the shape of your body? If you tight lace continually and sleep in the darn thing. . .yes. Will it hurt you? Ehhh. . .read the article. When you're in the thing, it will probably diminsh the amount of oxygen you get. If you don't take it off, you're likely to eat less as well. . .but no, you won't drop dead or faint. (The fainting thing was, well, it was fashionable to faint. So women fainted. Or rather, they mock fainted. And wearing 8 layers of clothing with or without a corset. . .yeah. You have a tendency to overheat in the summer and you might faint from that.)

Um, ok.

What does that have to do with this item's claim to stimulate fat loss and detox the body?
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I just read the first review on Amazon about it and this is from a person who actually gave it 5 stars!

"Don't try to have a bowel movement with this on. It's not gonna happen. Sorry if that's TMI, but I don't want you guys to go through the same waiting and pushing game!"

Wear a garment that makes it impossible to carry out a natural body function? If that doesn't convince you that it is dangerously compressing your organs, than I don't know what will.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    skeo wrote: »
    I used to when I first started working out 2 years ago, I would wear the Gold's Gym waist band thing from Wal-Mart for 8.00, I would wear it in the sauna, when I would cardio, and when I would lift, and when I took it off and saw that it was drenched in sweat, I felt like I was doing something, silly me. It's just water, and it's stupid uncomfortable, and it does nothing for your long term beneficial goals.

The only time I wore that Gold's gym band was right after giving birth. I wore it everyday for a week and my stomach shrank a lot. It helped the uterus getting back in place.
  • snarlingcoyote
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

Um, ok.

What does that have to do with this item's claim to stimulate fat loss and detox the body?

Read the article. I think I adressed that it has little to no effect on the health. Detox is usually just code for "I sweated a lot." Also, I was trying to debunk some previous posters without calling any names.
  • snarlingcoyote
    Options
    Holla4mom wrote: »
    I just read the first review on Amazon about it and this is from a person who actually gave it 5 stars!

"Don't try to have a bowel movement with this on. It's not gonna happen. Sorry if that's TMI, but I don't want you guys to go through the same waiting and pushing game!"

Wear a garment that makes it impossible to carry out a natural body function? If that doesn't convince you that it is dangerously compressing your organs, than I don't know what will.

And there are many, many, many contemporary accounts of women who wore corsets for years and years, night and day and never took the wretched things off except to bathe once a week, so I tend to wonder at the veracity of that review.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Um, ok.

Read the article. I think I adressed that it has little to no effect on the health. Detox is usually just code for "I sweated a lot." Also, I was trying to debunk some previous posters without calling any names.

This product is not the way to lose weight healthfully. It's certainly not a weight loss method that should be promoted on this site.

The liver and kidneys detox the body.

Physically restricting yourself from eating is not the appropriate way to lose weight and should not be promoted on this site.

If she wants to sweat, she would see much better results if she hits the gym.

Stop giving this item credibility that it absolutely does not deserve.
  • DeliVibes
    DeliVibes Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'd avoid these.. they seems unnatural and a bit unrealistic! You would be better off sticking to a healthy diet and exercise and focus extra time on toning the muscles around your midsection. Some people naturally have a bigger hip-to-waist ratios than others.
  • FenTiger89
    FenTiger89 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    jstout365 wrote: »

tumblr_mwycrf58eo1rzik3go1_250.gif

Um...no. That would totally suck to squat and deadlift in....or do anything in really.

High five for Martin Freeman!
  • snarlingcoyote
    Options

Um, ok.

This product is not the way to lose weight healthfully. It's certainly not a weight loss method that should be promoted on this site.

Physically restricting yourself from eating is not the appropriate way to lose weight and should not be promoted on this site.

Stop intentionally misreading what I'm writing.
  • PRMinx
    Options

Um, ok.

Stop intentionally misreading what I'm writing.

Oh, I'm not. I think it's highly possible that the OP can take your posts as an endorsement.
  • snarlingcoyote
    Options
    Bottom line - corsets will change your waist size. They will not do anything damaging or horrible to your body, at least no more so than, say, wearing heels every day. Will they do anything miraculous to help you lose weight or detox or any of that? Certainly not.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I've not tried it but it sounds too good to be true. Which probably means it doesn't work. I'd recommend saving your money.