Want to be 225 and currently 200. Out of reach?

Options
2»

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    zaxx1953 wrote: »
    You want to gain a lb a wk?

So how much of this weight do you expect to be lean mass....if it's much more than a 1/4lbs for very long, you'd be mistaken if you plan on doing this without the help of pharmaceuticals.

1lbs of lean mass/month is a great goal for someone who already is developed muscularly. If you put on 10lbs of lean mass the change is pretty dramatic and you might find yourself liking how you look at 210-212lbs.

I would go for an intermediate goal like 215lbs with some fat gain and cut in late April/May to a comfortable summer weight.

It's generally known that men can gain 1/2lb muscle per week and women 1/4. Add the unavoidable fat gain of the same and you get your 1lb a week for men 1/2lb week for women.

This is generally what a lot of people here plan for and experience.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

So how much of this weight do you expect to be lean mass....if it's much more than a 1/4lbs for very long, you'd be mistaken if you plan on doing this without the help of pharmaceuticals.

1lbs of lean mass/month is a great goal for someone who already is developed muscularly. If you put on 10lbs of lean mass the change is pretty dramatic and you might find yourself liking how you look at 210-212lbs.

I would go for an intermediate goal like 215lbs with some fat gain and cut in late April/May to a comfortable summer weight.

It's generally known that men can gain 1/2lb muscle per week and women 1/4. Add the unavoidable fat gain of the same and you get your 1lb a week for men 1/2lb week for women.

I've seen the 1/2 pound a week for a guy several places and tend to agree. But, and this is a big but (no pun intended) the trainee needs to be doing the work. Think like a college or pro off-season strength and conditioning program with lots of heavy compound movements. Multiple sets of bicep curls in front of the mirror won't do it.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    gio14 wrote: »
    wellsjr79 wrote: »
    I'm actually trying a pound a week. So it will take me quite a few months. I'm 6 ft 3. Metabolism has always been fast. What is the science to that top end lean weight? And yeah I'm totally natural besides supplements like cell tech and protein. Thanks for the support guys.

The standard deviation in metabolism is only +-6% of the TDEE. So even if your metabolism was insanely fast you'd only have to eat a couple hundred calories more per day than an ordinary person to gain weight, im not sure why the whole "fast metabolism" myth is still around. The problem is your calories aren't high enough. If you have you account set to "gain 1lbs per week" and are hitting all your caloric goals without gaining weight then you need to up your total calories another 10%.

I really don't think it's a myth, I meticulously filled all the goto formulas for calculating my TDEE and was still stuck, I've only recently been making steady progress cause I figured out that the the numbers I was getting from these formulas were way off for me. I was supposedly at a TDEE of 2600cals, so I up'd my cals between 15-20% per week with no gain. I recently started tracking my burnt cals with a hr monitor, which I believe to be the only true way to track your caloric burn the rest are all approximations. So my daily burn on non workout days was a whopping 3100 cals!! And 3600cals on workout days. Off by ~500+cals per day!! So I've now added 15-20% surplus to real numbers n long behold weight is coming up. So my advice to OP is figure out your true calories out then wrk off that number to figure out your calories in needed, keep it conservative and results will come

A major factor in this stuff is simply when people get full.

I have no problems bulking, it's easy for me.

Buuuut...I can also eat a triple triple from Jake's wayback or a 72 ounce steak in one sitting without too much issue (which is a big reason why cutting is a *kitten* for me).

The most straightforward method I've seen to bulk up if you're already eating at maintenance is to eat as you normally do and add two or three PB&Js to the mix. Assuming you were already getting adequate protein, that should be enough.

(Edit to add: straightforward != easy. Bulking is tough for some folks, just like cutting is tough for others)
  • gio14
    gio14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    gio14 wrote: »
    Did you try Scooby's? Tdee 2600 at your height including exercise? Sounds really low! Yes, I agree that with exercise cals only a HRM can give a close idea. Weight training itself can't be calculated with a HRM because of all the rest periods. I just use a figure that is less than half of my running race pace. In the end, your tracking, meticulous food weighing and weekly average weight are going to give your answers.

Haven't seen Scooby's, actually forgot about him lol he's got some good stuff. I've been using the new fitbit HR to to track workouts, it does a pretty accurate job of tracking burn cals for me, highly recommended if u dont have one!
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

I've seen the 1/2 pound a week for a guy several places and tend to agree. But, and this is a big but (no pun intended) the trainee needs to be doing the work. Think like a college or pro off-season strength and conditioning program with lots of heavy compound movements. Multiple sets of bicep curls in front of the mirror won't do it.

Well if an old bird like me can do it I'm sure everyone else can!
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,946 Member
    Options
    We will see in three months. Should be close to 215 by then. Big Ole fat gut. Lol
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    Keep us posted. Sometimes bulks can be surprising....
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

1 lb per month? What is you reasoning behind that assumption? Are you talking about the time when someone is nearing the ceiling of their genetic threshold?

1lbs of LEAN MASS per month for an intermediate trainee is good progress.....

Whoever said it's generally known intermediate lifters can simply put on 1/2 lb of muscle a week over the medium/long run, well, no...i'm sorry, that is way over what you'll be seeing most of the time.
  • DangerousDUCK
    DangerousDUCK Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few times to bulk effectively without gaining to much fat, but in my opinion enjoy the freedom of the increase in daily calories, gain the weight you want an cut after. my plan was a lean 210lbs ill get there just taking longer than expected. Sitting at 196lbs now not quite lean enough or big enough haha
  • Springfield1970
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

1 lb per month? What is you reasoning behind that assumption? Are you talking about the time when someone is nearing the ceiling of their genetic threshold?

1lbs of LEAN MASS per month for an intermediate trainee is good progress.....

Whoever said it's generally known intermediate lifters can simply put on 1/2 lb of muscle a week over the medium/long run, well, no...i'm sorry, that is way over what you'll be seeing most of the time.

The reason we advise that here is because that is what most of us experienced, some of us, several times. I myself experience AT LEAST a 50/50 ratio of muscle gain at half a pound a week excess, and I'm a 44 y o female experienced lifter. I know that because I didn't even need to cut the fat much to have the same body fat and measurements. I'm 5'7" and started my bulk at under 15% bf. Post bulk and small cut (plus 9lbs, minus 4lbs) I was 15% body fat and same measurements, bit bigger on top.

I bet you most of the regulars on here have gained at a pound a week(males) 1/2lb week (females) and held good muscle to fat ratios. It would be interesting to hear....
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Over an extended period of time.....no.

If it was true natural lifters would be putting on 26lbs of muscle a yr, which is quite a rarity for an intermediate lifter.

If you're talking about someone bouncing up after a cut within a couple months, that's something different.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I did it when I was your age 10 or so years ago and it was a mess because of how active I was in and out of work I simply couldn't get the balance down. Its obtainable no doubt...hit the gym hard and make sure you get your rest, enjoy your food and you will get there.
  • LiftingRiot
    Options
    Thanks chief. Yeah I'm not going to be happy about the gut. I work out 5 times a week. Relax on weekends. Try to get 8 hours a night. Spread multiple little meals throughout the day. Try to keep my cardiovascular down but will play some basketball every once in a while. It's going to be a long haul. I hope I have the endurance.
  • Springfield1970
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Over an extended period of time.....no.

If it was true natural lifters would be putting on 26lbs of muscle a yr, which is quite a rarity for an intermediate lifter.

If you're talking about someone bouncing up after a cut within a couple months, that's something different.

You're right.

Bulking can only go on for a certain amount of time anyway because the ratio of fat gain to muscle gain tends to creep up with higher body fat percentages, as you go deeper into the bulk.

That's why 1) I can only do 6/8 weeks, and 2) I make sure my body fat percentage is way low before I start. I can only deal mentally with so much fat gain, and my body becomes inefficient and unfit as I get higher body fat.
  • LiftingRiot
    Options
    So my max scale reading has been 213 so far. I think I'm doing good in my bulking goal. It's freaking a lot of work though.