Guys, stop with the orthorexia already!

Options

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Soooooo Agree with you OP!!!! I see on FB, here, instagram. I like to watch grocery hauls on youtube and ohhh my word.....if the person doing the haul buys whatever "bad" food for their kids, they will get comments that they are bad parents and border lines with child abuse they say, it's quite irritating needless to say!!

• GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    This interesting article discusses the growing epidemic of orthorexia, an obsession with the virtue of your food, rather than how much or little you eat. This can be obsessive thinking about gluten-free, clean, low-fat, local, juice-fasting, cleansing, or any other healthiest-diet-flavor-of-the-month.

It is often characterized by a fixation on foods that are "unhealthy." Like the guy who mentions evil Twinkies in every post.

Do you guys feel that there has been an increase in such things in the forum, beyond the normal New Years flap?

Just wanted to say that I recently bought a box of Twinkies for the first time in years. I was so excited to crack it open and dive in but all I got was a big mouthful of disappointment. Don't know what Hostess did to them but they are nothing but evil tasting things now. Truly ruined my day :cry:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Oh yeah, I don't even like Twinkies. I find it amusing that because I consider them to be gross-tasting, but not a cellophane package full of death, then I'm the crazy one. :D
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    GothyFaery wrote: »
    This interesting article discusses the growing epidemic of orthorexia, an obsession with the virtue of your food, rather than how much or little you eat. This can be obsessive thinking about gluten-free, clean, low-fat, local, juice-fasting, cleansing, or any other healthiest-diet-flavor-of-the-month.

It is often characterized by a fixation on foods that are "unhealthy." Like the guy who mentions evil Twinkies in every post.

Do you guys feel that there has been an increase in such things in the forum, beyond the normal New Years flap?

Just wanted to say that I recently bought a box of Twinkies for the first time in years. I was so excited to crack it open and dive in but all I got was a big mouthful of disappointment. Don't know what Hostess did to them but they are nothing but evil tasting things now. Truly ruined my day :cry:

Hostess went bankrupt a few years back... didn't follow the story closely, but some other company bought up the trademarks and after a hiatus (a year or two, I believe) started producing snacks under the old Hostess brand names... I personally haven't tried any since they came back on the market - sounds like I've made the right choice! :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    it does seem to come up more and more often ..I swear there are like five sugar threads a day ...or "is this unhealthy" bla bla ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Guess what. In order to not be overweight or obese and avoid related risks, you have to be a little weird, at least in our society. It is not exactly psychologically normal to count calories for a lifetime, yet that is what many will have to do to keep it off long-term.

It's an adjustment related to disorder, yes, except it's society that's disordered.

("Our" society = English-speaking countries, like the ones MFP users belong to, and some others.)

Explain please. Weight control is the obligation of the individual, not society. In addition, if there's a body image Western society promotes, it sure isn't a fat one. Quite the reverse actually.

Percent of adults age 20 years and over who are overweight, including obesity: 69.0% (2011-2012)
    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/obesity-overweight.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/obesity_adult_09_10/obesity_adult_09_10.htm#x2013;1962 Through 2009–2010 </a>

Charts over time, since 1968 - sharpest rise is in obesity, #s overweight mostly steady

There's no way all of them decided, individually, to have too many cheeseburgers. But it's UP to the individual to fix it, yeah. At least it is until food manufacturers have to start facing some appropriate regulation, which I hope happens

ahhh yes, the food overlords have programmed us to eat their foods and become obese...thus, the circle can never be broken until the ring of fat is returned to Mount Obesity and destroyed in the layers of lard contained there in ...

^ sounds like a good book ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I honestly don't think that the "orthorexia epidemic" is really something we as a society need to devote too much concern and attention to. There are a lot more important things to attend to than worrying about whether people are becoming too focused on a healthy lifestyle.

Any time I perceive someone as being "militant" about their food or fitness routines, I don't automatically assume that it's a problem just because it's not my thing. I don't even worry about it unless it appears to be causing harm. I think the term orthorexia is thrown around way too lightly. Really, unless you are qualified to diagnose eating disorders, you probably shouldn't be making those kinds of judgments.

I'm sure IT IS a problem when an OCD person (orthorexic or not) gets fixated on anything, but I don't think that orthorexia is some huge, sweeping problem. If anything, our widespread lack of health-consciousness is far more problematic.

By the way, I guess I could be labeled orthorexic by some posters here just by virtue of being gluten free. I have to be focused on avoiding gluten in my diet. But rather than being a harmful thing, my healthy food "obsession" keeps my immune system from going nuts and attacking my digestive tract (Celiac).

I suggest not worrying so much about other people's choices. I think it's totally uncool to label people whose choices or ideas you don't agree with as mentally ill (having an eating disorder.) :)
    Well stated!

I find it odd (and kind of sad) that it's more acceptable to tout stuffing your face with junk food as long as it "fits your macros" than it is to try and get people to eat real, whole, unprocessed foods.

you don't understand IIFYM if you think that it is about stuffing your face with junk food..

nice straw man though...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    I honestly don't think that the "orthorexia epidemic" is really something we as a society need to devote too much concern and attention to. There are a lot more important things to attend to than worrying about whether people are becoming too focused on a healthy lifestyle.

Any time I perceive someone as being "militant" about their food or fitness routines, I don't automatically assume that it's a problem just because it's not my thing. I don't even worry about it unless it appears to be causing harm. I think the term orthorexia is thrown around way too lightly. Really, unless you are qualified to diagnose eating disorders, you probably shouldn't be making those kinds of judgments.

I'm sure IT IS a problem when an OCD person (orthorexic or not) gets fixated on anything, but I don't think that orthorexia is some huge, sweeping problem. If anything, our widespread lack of health-consciousness is far more problematic.

By the way, I guess I could be labeled orthorexic by some posters here just by virtue of being gluten free. I have to be focused on avoiding gluten in my diet. But rather than being a harmful thing, my healthy food "obsession" keeps my immune system from going nuts and attacking my digestive tract (Celiac).

I suggest not worrying so much about other people's choices. I think it's totally uncool to label people whose choices or ideas you don't agree with as mentally ill (having an eating disorder.) :)

Really? I'd never even heard the term before last night. But I know of few better places to discuss all things nutrition and diet related than right here.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Guess what. In order to not be overweight or obese and avoid related risks, you have to be a little weird, at least in our society.

Disagree strongly.

Also, the idea that someone being "gluten free" in our culture is being countercultural (or even weird) is like the idea that long hair on men in the late 60s or early 70s was bucking the system and being an individual, man. It was just trendy in a different social group. Being into food restrictions is totally trendy in many US (and probably other English-speaking country) subcultures.

This. I don't understand the mentality that makes one think that not being able to eat something due to some real or imaginary sensitivity makes one special. It's seriously bizarre. AND THEN to assume everyone around you constantly wants to hear about it. It's maddening.

I don't understand the mentality that assumes anyone who does anything different thinks they're "special." People get the "special snowflake" treatment around here, whether they have a diagnosis or not, simply because they don't eat the exact same things as someone else. They don't ask for it. When they try to ask questions, they get bombarded with people demanding to know why they aren't eating exactly like the people asking, instead of just getting answers.

Why is it ok to assume that everyone wants to hear about IIFYM, but if anyone does something different, they're obnoxious if they mention it?

well when someone says they eat 500 calories over maintenance and lose weight, they are going to get pegged with the special snowflake label ...

OR

claim that CICO does not work for them ...or some other absurd claim...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    I find it odd (and kind of sad) that it's more acceptable to tout stuffing your face with junk food as long as it "fits your macros" than it is to try and get people to eat real, whole, unprocessed foods.

I've marked all the loaded language about food in this itty bitty sentence. Do you see it?
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Really? I'd never even heard the term before last night. But I know of few better places to discuss all things nutrition and diet related than right here.
    Guess what. In order to not be overweight or obese and avoid related risks, you have to be a little weird, at least in our society.

Disagree strongly.

Also, the idea that someone being "gluten free" in our culture is being countercultural (or even weird) is like the idea that long hair on men in the late 60s or early 70s was bucking the system and being an individual, man. It was just trendy in a different social group. Being into food restrictions is totally trendy in many US (and probably other English-speaking country) subcultures.

This. I don't understand the mentality that makes one think that not being able to eat something due to some real or imaginary sensitivity makes one special. It's seriously bizarre. AND THEN to assume everyone around you constantly wants to hear about it. It's maddening.

I don't understand the mentality that assumes anyone who does anything different thinks they're "special." People get the "special snowflake" treatment around here, whether they have a diagnosis or not, simply because they don't eat the exact same things as someone else. They don't ask for it. When they try to ask questions, they get bombarded with people demanding to know why they aren't eating exactly like the people asking, instead of just getting answers.

Why is it ok to assume that everyone wants to hear about IIFYM, but if anyone does something different, they're obnoxious if they mention it?

well when someone says they eat 500 calories over maintenance and lose weight, they are going to get pegged with the special snowflake label ...

OR

If criticism was restricted to blatant comments like that, nobody would care. It's not, though. See the most recent locked thread, for example. It was sad it shut down right when it was. That last poster had a very good question.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Disagree strongly.

OR

If criticism was restricted to blatant comments like that, nobody would care. It's not, though. See the most recent locked thread, for example. It was sad it shut down right when it was. That last poster had a very good question.

what the sugar addiction one?

I don't recall anyone being pegged with the special snowflake label in there...
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Guess what. In order to not be overweight or obese and avoid related risks, you have to be a little weird, at least in our society. It is not exactly psychologically normal to count calories for a lifetime, yet that is what many will have to do to keep it off long-term.
    I know this point has been picked on in this thread, but I agree with you somewhat on that. There are tons of people on this forum who simply ate whatever they want, got overweight, and now have success with weight management by counting calories and realizing their calorie needs. I feel confident that a lot of the people I know IRL don't eat like this at all (especially those who are overweight).

However, I do also know people who have never really had to worry about their weight but don't count calories. These people don't regularly indulge in very high calorie foods or eat out at fast food/restaurants much, though.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

I blame Alice Waters, and then stupid people running with her stupid ideas and expanding upon the idiocy.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,889 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

I blame Alice Waters, and then stupid people running with her stupid ideas and expanding upon the idiocy.
    lol. Well, shut the front door. She admits that she created a monster when she added balsamic vinegar to a recipe and the world has never been the same since.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

THIS ^^

It's unlikely to hurt anything other than the wallet for most people. And for the few that get so obsessive that it does cause harm, the problem isn't with food. They would (and likely do) find other things to obsess about.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    mfp2014mfp wrote: »
    Honestly I see more people bashing 'orthorexia' than people with that particular issue. The former is becoming more annoying than the latter.

Agreed!
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    whaaat? Twinkies are good? :'(:'( have to find someone else to pick on then
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    It seems kind of like mass delusion in a way. No one wants to stop and address the fact that it takes time and effort to be the healthiest version of yourself that you can be. Instead it's easier to just latch onto a fad and be part of the herd rather than give yourself the attention you deserve.

I doubt if the majority of people on MFP could honestly say they have never tried the latest "diet" trend at some point. I've tried the master cleanse (my poor teeth), pills (my poor bank balance), starving (my poor hair), slim fast (my poor taste buds), cabbage soup diet (poor anyone that came near me) - the list goes on. It just took the objective intelligent bit of my brain a minute to catch up with the bit that decided I needed to sort my weight out.

And if anyone wants to give up gluten, they can give theirs to me. *nom*
    I actually have never tried ANY diet,I never counted calories before and at what I want,now I know I cant do that lol. but then again I didnt battle with my weight until about 15 or so years ago.

• aSaltandBattery
    aSaltandBattery Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am definitely sick of everything getting slapped with "gluten free" labels now. Very few people have a gluten intolerance anyway. But I can't help but laugh when I see a carbonated energy drink labeled "gluten free". It's basically just the "low fat!" / "no carbs!" of this decade.

One of my friends has celiacs and he is pretty happy about the increase in labeling. Obviously some things seem like 'gluten free common sense,' but in general it has been helpful for him to have foods more available in more grocery stores too in our rural area because of the increasing popularity of gluten free.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of the apple cider vinegar with the cinnamon,lemon and whatever else is in it thing, people on my facebook are doing. then when you tell them that doesnt work because it wont burn fat they tell you,well Im trying it anyway it cant hurt blah blah blah.Then you have people who are like OMG it does work Ive lost like X amount of pounds.I ask them are you eating less and moving more? the answer is yes then I tell them that is why they are losing weight not the ACV