WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options

Replies

• cutec527
    cutec527 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello girls I need to change my profile name to my real one when I figure out how lol My name is Tina and today is a good day :D I went to breakfast with my mom to IHOP and was so worried that I wouldn't find anything to eat but was pleasantly surprised at the simply light BK. Only 350 cal but I didn't eat one slice of bread so that drops it a bit. Everything tasted wonderful and I felt like I was having a treat. Came home exercised a bit and now I'm relaxing. I don't know if my exercise routine is kosher but on my strength training days I put in 15 mins about 4 to 5 times a day. Still sore but much better than when I started. Have a great day all :disappointed_relieved:B)
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Today we had catered lunch. I told the Rep to bring us salads, soups, healthy foods etc from Panera. After eating, I found out 1/2 sandwich and 1/2 salad is over 500 calories. That means I have to try to last much longer on the bike tonight than I have done since being sick last month. Lesson learned ! Maybe when I'm done with the taxed at home I can sneak into my Dad's 1/2 of the house and use the exercise bike there, too. Plus, I work tomorrow until noon, so I can ride a few minutes after work. Okay, crisis diverted.

I hope everyone is able to make wise choices today !!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :D It has been my experience that there is nothing on a restaurant menu that fits on my food plan, but with some care, I can create a meal from foods that are part of the menu items that will work for me. The most obvious one is asking for a plain broiled or grilled chicken breast with sliced tomatoes and steamed veggies with no butter. For breakfast poached eggs, sliced tomatoes, and steamed broccoli. If it is important to me, I will find a way and if it's not, I'll find an excuse. I go to great lengths to avoid restaurant food and when it's necessary, I take the time to read the whole menu and look for items that I can order. People with food allergies face and deal with this challenge all the time.

<3 Barbie
  • bumblebeejec
    bumblebeejec Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon!

Sylvia. . . So sorry to hear about your emergency surgery. That is just horrible! I truly hope that your recovery is a quick one! Glad you went to the hospital when you did!

CP in Florida: Congrats on the continued success! Is there a prize at the end of your challenge?

Barbie: Restaurants are a little easier now. . . you can usually find a couple of items that are marked for "Fit Fare" or some such name. However, all in all, it's hard to see all of the other selections and look past them. That's the hardest thing for me. Also, the breads/rolls, etc. . . Yikes! Scary territory!

I've been feeling spacey all day. . . blaming it on this new medicine that I'm taking for the seizures. Carbamazepine. . . anybody have any experiences with that?

Thanks for all your inspiring posts and for taking the time to share your day!

Judy in PA
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

*Beth, that is a good hiding place for the cookies. I on the other hand just don’t bake any more.

*Sylvia, I’m so sorry that you went through that, but so glad you got to the hospital when you did! Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hugs. <3

*Lesley, why are you doing the 3 day juice thing? Is that something Brian recommended?

*calories, welcome back. It may not always be fun but logging honestly every day works. I so hope that when I reach my goal, I will continue to log and treat maintenance the same way I treat this daily journey.

*Michele
    , you are so right about retirement. I wonder how I ever got anything done when I worked 8 hours a day.

*Katia, I love that you are so positive. I, too, have so much to be thankful for. Life is good, even with the bumps in the road. I’m thankful for my health being better than it was a few months ago, thankful that I get to go on the cruise again, and very thankful for this group of wonderful women. I am already having withdrawal from you while on the cruise. I will miss you terribly but will think of you often.

*Sue, How sad about your friend’s DGD. Sending prayers her way.

*Joyce, that is a good point about the music. It can change a mood if we just take the opportunity to allow it.

*Sharon, glad you are feeling a bit better. Sorry about your A1C. I remember a “diet” I was on years ago that said to eat 2 to 3 fruits a day and my Dr. told me that was too much for a diabetic. I now limit myself to no more than 1 a day and try to stay on the light side of carbs. I love bread but usually limit myself to 1 piece a day a few times a week, except for occasional sandwich only about once a week. Good luck on getting those numbers down.

*Heather
    , great picture with the elephant.

*Allison, my condolences on your greyhound. I know it’s like losing a member of the family even if he hasn’t lived with you for a time. *Hugs*

*donamari, it sounds like you know what you need to do and we are here to support you in that. I have found that as I read all the posts, I pick up ideas of little things I can add to help me on my journey. I hope it works the same for you. Welcome to the group.

*CP, congrats on your loss. Keep up the good work.

Well I’m finally packed and taking way too many clothes for the cruise. Last year I packed just right but think I got excited because of the smaller clothes that I can wear now. >:) That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it. My friend that goes with me, I see every week or so. Yesterday we met at the nail salon and as I walked toward her she said, “wow, I can really tell now that you have lost weight”. She has been with me twice in the last week and I haven’t lost but ½ a pound, so I was surprised she just now noticed. LOL
    I’ll miss you all terribly while I’m gone but think of you often. Especially at meal times. I won’t ever be able to catch up on a week’s worth of posts when I get back so I can only wish you all the best success and health.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!!

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite
    #2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday ladies. I am reading and still only to page 10, I so enjoy reading about everyone and the support is great. I have worked everyday this week since we got home from Iowa and I am tried. Tonight we have our CMA meeting and since I am the secertary I have to be there to take notes and stuff. Then tomorrow we have an all day class in Seward for CMA officers. DH and I are making soup and car pooling with a couple other ones going. So that will be a full day and then I work Sunday. Monday I plan to sleep in till 7 and I am excited about that.
    Gail--Glad to hear you are improving. Take it slow and easy.

I love to color and have lots of books and different kinds of colors, some with spakles. My DGC and I color alot.

Michele--I love the lady bug. You did such a great job. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Joyce--Hugs and I find you are not giving me TMI, I learn something all the time. I know I have been having a tough time lately and keep telling myself just do not give up.

Heather--sounds like you are doing so much and so enjoy reading about it.
    Weather man says it is to be in the 50-60's the next couple days. So this 11 inches of snow will not last. Already hearing about the river flooding outside town.
    One Day at a Time ladies.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone! We got home from Wiliamsburg last night and I've spent today getting caught up around the house and with email,etc. Had a great time there; my friends timeshare was like no place I've ever stayed.......one side of the top two floors of the building......fabulous!!! Most posh place I've ever stayed by far! Used the pool, gym, sauna, and spa. We made it to the outlets (and spent way too much), got a horse drawn carriage ride through the colonial part of the city, had some great Thai food, saw all our favorite places. I'm so glad I talked DD into taking those three days off; she's been working so hard and so many hours.

NOWWWW Hear This:::::::::Best news....SHE GOT IN!!!!! Email received about three hours ago!!!!! Thank you all for the prayers and good wishes!!!! One of 50! Class of 2019!!!! Go Hokies!

Kim..........Hope you are getting some of that Ca. rain!!!

Joyce..........Maybe it is just the states I've lived in, but all the lactation consultants I've known were at least RNs with additional training.

Sue.........May your friends DGD get well and heal quickly. Will keep her in my thoughts, poor baby.

Sylvia............Good grief!!!! I am so glad you went to the hospital! Heal quickly, my friend.

Cynthia.........I am so sorry about your job situation. Fingers crossed for you.

Heather......I have been sooooooo enjoying your accounting of your trip! Love the elephant pic!

Janet.........Enjoy your cruise.....also someone else is going on one, best to you also.

Michele.........I was going to suggest that you do tiedye type colors and pattern.

Sharon........So sorry about your good friend; I'm sure she is in your thoughts often.

Tina........Hope your rescue volunteering goes well and you raise a bundle of money!!!

Best to everyone else!

Welcome newbies! Stop by often and let us know how your lives are going, comment on whatever catches your fancy. Please let us know what to call you and where you are from, general or specific.

Hunger is not an emergency.
    Determined.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Sylvia!!!!!! Thank goodness you sought medical help.

I downloaded a free book to my Kindle today. The main character uses her cell phone to log her calories in My Fitness Buddy. Wonder where they got that name???

y'all take care!
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Saturday.
    Training: 2 mile walk and Jeannette's cardio kick-boxing.

Saw Brian yesterday and is HAPPY my BF% going down and Muscle% going Up. I see him again week ending 27 February before he goes on holiday.
    He said I could do the 3 day "juice only" next week BUT only walk 3.3 mile NO weights as it is only 1200 calories. Then he said a juice before walk and after wight, but normal breakfast, lunch and dinners but keep to 1700 calories.

A good friend put me onto Joe Cross's site and look awesome and will kick start my metabolism again. Will tell you how it goes a week Sunday

Lesley in Tasmania
    I have re-joined Tom Venuto's site again too
  • Starrhae130
    Starrhae130 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am excited to join!' I will be 64 in March and gave up a year ago when I was at my goal!! Gained back 20 lbs.
    I tried and tried to get out of my funk and just didn't!!
    My daughter came to my house the beginning of this wk and asked if I want to do this with her!!
    That's all it took to get me going again!!
    Now I need all the help I can get!!
    So glad to read all your posts!!
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi to all. I’m sitting here trying to remember what has happened today. First the other day I went to the dr about my blood pressure. It was 148/82. In September it was 102/62, so the dr does not think I really have hypertension unless I was keeping it controlled with all the exercise I used to do. She thinks it’s more related to my knee, the pain, the lack of sleep, and not exercising. Plus I have put on a few pounds and my sodium intake is up. So she got me a monitor and I’m supposed to watch it for a month.

The other big but not in a good way news is that we have roof damage on one of our rentals. I called the insurance guy today and about 2 hours later, DH tells me he got a call from our management company saying the basement was flooded. Our handyman went out in about 20 minutes to find all the copper pipes missing from the house! Good grief! The only good news is that there are clear footprints in the snow leading to a window and finger and palm prints. Omaha has been hit hard by copper thieves, so the cops will be on it.

Sue: happy belated birthday. What a great surprise!

Sally so good of you to try to find the dog’s home! I do need to remember to breathe!

Robin: so glad Bodi boy is having some good days. Benny Beagle has lots of accidents too due to whatever this odd endocrine issue is. But all we can do is love our babies, right?

Vicki: keep your spirits up….warmer weather is on the way!

Karen: have you had all that diarrhea checked out???

Peach: maybe you can compromise with DH: eat out once a week and increase your exercise to cover it.

Katla: I sure know what you mean by always being on guard about your knee. I have to put weight on it very carefully and make sure it will cooperate. Even aqua Zumba is too much for me now.

Janet; what a great cruise! I can’t imagine anyone not wanting to even try one. I’d cruise constantly if I could!

Michele: did I miss the description of what the pic is of?

Red: great advice!

Viv: I hope you start to recover from your fall! I’m glad you weren’t seriously hurt!

I’m so sorry I can’t reply to everyone! I am 5 pages behind but can’t seem to get here daily any more.

Tomorrow is blood pressures at the shopping mall. My students and faculty are there for 12 hours tomorrow and 12 in two weeks. We usually do over 1000 blood pressures and even though the mall is not busy, people from around that area always come year after year just for us! I think that is so sweet. One year some old guy bought us all valentines candy! My shift is from 8:30 to 12:30.

Well I need to get going and make dinner. DH was late having gone to visit a friend, so we will be late eating. Take care all, Meg from Omaha where the weather is certainly weird….8” of snow on the ground and forcast to be in the 50s this weekend!

OMG SYLVIA!!!!! I was just starting to post and saw the cute get well card for you and went back to see what was wrong. Holy cats!!!! I am so glad you went to the ED and had all of that taken care of! Please take care! Sending you healing and healthy thoughts!!! Meg
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    Jan .... your daughter's acceptance is fantastic news! Congratulations!

• noexcuses118
    Options
    Pipcd34 Thanks for the shout of encouragement!

Terri_mom Those restaurant calories add up FAST. Sorry you have to do extra biking, but just think how proud of yourself you'll be when you finish the workouts!

Bumblebeejec Re: Biggest Loser Contest. Yes, there’s a jackpot of money at the end for the winner with the most weight lost by percentage (not pounds). Everyone puts in $20 to participate. We have 12 people this time around. Each week, the person with the most weight lost by percentage for that week wins $10. If you gain weight, you have to add $1 per pound to the pot. Whatever is left over at the end of the contest gets it. Wish me luck! If I win, I’m going to treat myself to a massage and facial.

DamitJanit Thanks for the encouragement! Have a wonderful time on the cruise!
    Starrhae130 I’m a relative newbie and am so glad you came back. The lesson I keep hearing is that even once you reach your goal, you must keep logging your calories. Not that I have to worry about maintenance for awhile, as I have quite a bit to go. But I’ll get there. And so will you.

I’ve decided on a long-term goal I can be excited about. My goal is to be ballroom dancing on New Year’s Eve 2015. I used to take group lessons (and some private ones) years ago, and for awhile I was a dance “groupie,” a regular at the local Saturday night dance parties at the ballroom here. I stopped going after I gained so much weight, the guys stopped asking me to dance. But this is my year! I’m going to take my time and get in such fabulous shape over the next 11 months that when I walk into that ballroom on New Year’s Eve and start dancing ever so gracefully, all the (single) guys will be saying to themselves, “Who is that??? I’ve gotta dance with her!”

I figure that goal is so much more exciting than “I will lose 50 pounds this year.” After all, to achieve my dance goal, I probably will have to lose a bunch of weight. But I really, REALLY want this, so I think this will keep me motivated. I can't remember when I've been so excited about an idea. I had convinced myself I would never dance again, but why not? I will do this!

I’ve made a deal with myself. I’m going to put $15 dollars in a jar for every pound I lose. I figure that’s way less than the fast food meals I used to eat several times a week. If I gain a pound, I have to take $15 out of the jar. This money will be my jackpot and will fund my dance lessons when I’ve lost enough weight that I won’t feel uncomfortable being next to all the skinny women. What do you think?

Gotta do the dishes and get to bed, as I am attending a literacy training session tomorrow morning to become an adult literacy volunteer. Then it’s off to see “Newbies” at the Miami Arsht Center for a matinee performance. Life is good!

CP in South Florida
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Just checking in. Not feeling well. Nurse left me on toilet for 45 minutes because she got busy. Had tremendous pain after I put myself back in bed, then had a little bit of a meltdown. She informed me that I was one of 27 patients and she didn't have help. Hubby is threatening to stay the night. I think I'm trapped in a third world hospital system.

Maybe tomorrow will be better.
  • bedfordd
    Options
    Just learning the discussion groups here and would like to join in to encourage others and be encouraged. Weight loss is no easy task. Looking for good, fat free, low calorie recipies that are easy and filling as well. My new favorite treat is as follows:
    2 packages sugar free pudding mix
    3 cups fat free milk
    1 8 oz container cool whip
    wisk the first 2 items together then mix the cool whip. Low in calories and truly satisfying treat.
    Wishing you all well!!
  • cutec527
    Options
    terri_mom wrote: »
    Today we had catered lunch. I told the Rep to bring us salads, soups, healthy foods etc from Panera. After eating, I found out 1/2 sandwich and 1/2 salad is over 500 calories. That means I have to try to last much longer on the bike tonight than I have done since being sick last month. Lesson learned ! Maybe when I'm done with the taxed at home I can sneak into my Dad's 1/2 of the house and use the exercise bike there, too. Plus, I work tomorrow until noon, so I can ride a few minutes after work. Okay, crisis diverted.

I hope everyone is able to make wise choices today !!!

• cutec527
    Options
    Terri i know how that is when i was doing the low-carb thing i saw how much a 6" Subway sandwich had in it and i said "No Way"
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,675 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride from hm 2 gym- 10.57min, 16.3amph, 3mi = 97cal
    expresso challenging bike trail- odyssey- 35.53min 120 average watts (power) 13.4amph 7.60mi = 392cal
    ride from gym 2 train station- 7.49min, 11.2amph 1.4mii =109cal
    ride from train station 2 hm- 21.06min, 7.5amph, 2.7mi = 170cal - tummy/headache
    total cal = 768
  • farmwifenmom
    farmwifenmom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit last week - so far I am really glad I did. today I logged almost 19000 steps! Does anyone know how to put step count into the exercise part?
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding.

*yannie, your trip sounds wonderful!! So happy for you and DD. And OMG, Congrats!!! That is really fantastic. I’m happy for both of you.

*Starrhea, welcome and how great to have your daughter doing this with you. Best of luck to you both.

*Meg, that is terrible about your rental. Hopefully your insurance will cover it.

*CP, I can just see you now, dancing the night away. What a great goal!! I like creating a fund for yourself. I thought you were going to say you would use it for a new (smaller) New Year’s Eve dress.  :D

*Sylvia, that is not the kind of treatment we want for you. I’d have been ringing that emergency button off the bathroom wall. Grrrrrrrrrr I hope the rest of your stay is way better.

*bedfordd, welcome. This is the right place for great support and ideas. Your treat sounds yummy.

Welcome to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

My word #1 is savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.

#2 is opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet in Myrtle Beach, SC