Thinking about drastically cutting my carb intake

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me why people lose loads of weight doing the egg fast? It's basically eating nothing but eggs and fat (mayo, butter, coconut oil) for 5 days. No calorie counting involved. I'm not promoting this diet, just curious on how it works...
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    1. If you consistently over-eat on fat & protein you will get fat as well.
    2. The body does not produce carbohydrates, your liver can produce glucose

1. If you consistently overeat on anything, you will get fat.
    2. Yes, sorry, the liver can produce a FORM of carbohydrate.
  • RockstarWilson
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jcurrie17 wrote: »
    Your brains main source of energy comes from carbohydrates. Your brain can't function properly without them. Instead of cutting them cold turkey why not cut 10-15 grams each week until you find your ideal ratio. It will be easier for your body to adjust.

Naa...not true, at least for me. That notion is very subjective, not an objective fact. When I was in ketosis, my mind was clear, I slept better, I focused more and for longer on my studies. The body produces what it needs from the fat and (minimally) proteins when carb intake is minimized.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me why people lose loads of weight doing the egg fast? It's basically eating nothing but eggs and fat (mayo, butter, coconut oil) for 5 days. No calorie counting involved. I'm not promoting this diet, just curious on how it works...

Looks like the plan is a minimum of 6 eggs daily, which is 440 calories, assuming average large eggs, plus a tbsp. of fat with each, which is about 600-680 calories, but less in reality if you are cooking in it. I personally would get sick of eggs soon enough and probably not eat much extra, if any, so that's low calorie. One reason protocols like that work is that people get bored with foods pretty easily--eating the same thing over and over tends to result in eating less than allowing yourself to choose among a variety of foods. (This is also why people often overeat at buffets and potlucks.)
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Your brains main source of energy comes from carbohydrates. Your brain can't function properly without them. Instead of cutting them cold turkey why not cut 10-15 grams each week until you find your ideal ratio. It will be easier for your body to adjust.

This again? My brain is functioning just fine, thanks. Has been for 15 years.
    You need carbs. That's what your brain and body runs on. Eat plenty of fruits and veggies. No need to cut carbs.

1) Your brain runs on carbs when you feed it carbs. Your brain runs on fat when it's processed by your liver and there are no carbs. If you had to have carbs, entire populations would've died out millions of years ago.
    2) Low carb is plenty of veggies and fruit, what gave you the idea it wasn't?

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

You need carbs. That's what your brain and body runs on. Eat plenty of fruits and veggies. No need to cut carbs.

1) Your brain runs on carbs when you feed it carbs. Your brain runs on fat when it's processed by your liver and there are no carbs. If you had to have carbs, entire populations would've died out millions of years ago.

I think everybody is missing something, we don't necessarily run on fat or carbs; essentially your body manages what you give it and makes it into glucose somehow. How your body manages what you feed it (fat / carbs) is a different matter.
  • JPW1990
    Options

I think everybody is missing something, we don't necessarily run on fat or carbs; essentially your body manages what you give it and makes it into glucose somehow. How your body manages what you feed it (fat / carbs) is a different matter.

I get that, but I had a feeling a longer explanation would've been lost in that instance.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Looks like the plan is a minimum of 6 eggs daily, which is 440 calories, assuming average large eggs, plus a tbsp. of fat with each, which is about 600-680 calories, but less in reality if you are cooking in it. I personally would get sick of eggs soon enough and probably not eat much extra, if any, so that's low calorie. One reason protocols like that work is that people get bored with foods pretty easily--eating the same thing over and over tends to result in eating less than allowing yourself to choose among a variety of foods. (This is also why people often overeat at buffets and potlucks.)

Some of them eat 12 or more eggs plus the accompanying fat ratios. This is high fat and very low carb. The only thing that explains it is the carb restrictions? ?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    So double my numbers--2000 or 2100 could be someone's cutting calories, although it's not mine.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

I get that, but I had a feeling a longer explanation would've been lost in that instance.

Yeah, I'm sure a better conversation on this would take more time. I just think the back-and-forth debate over cutting carbs or going high-carb just gets silly. Ultimately the details of where you get your energy from for pure survival doesn't matter a ton and when it comes to weight management, it doesn't matter that much more and you really need to worry about calorie management and making sure you're consuming less than you expend. If you like eating low-carb, it works for you, and you can manage it for the long-term; then go for it. If you are successful with a moderate to high carb in-take and it works for you; then do it. Yes, this is a little over-simplified. Performance nutrition is a different subject altogether.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Barring certain health conditions, it's simply unnecessary. Calorie restriction works if you stick with it.
  • JPW1990
    Options
    Barring certain health conditions, it's simply unnecessary. Calorie restriction works if you stick with it.

Jogging isn't necessary. You can live an entire, healthy life without ever jogging. Funny, nobody goes around telling all the joggers to quit because it's not necessary.
  • RockstarWilson
    edited February 2015
    Options

Yeah, I'm sure a better conversation on this would take more time. I just think the back-and-forth debate over cutting carbs or going high-carb just gets silly. Ultimately the details of where you get your energy from for pure survival doesn't matter a ton and when it comes to weight management, it doesn't matter that much more and you really need to worry about calorie management and making sure you're consuming less than you expend. If you like eating low-carb, it works for you, and you can manage it for the long-term; then go for it. If you are successful with a moderate to high carb in-take and it works for you; then do it. Yes, this is a little over-simplified. Performance nutrition is a different subject altogether.

All in all, we are talking about one method of achieving the same outcomes: eating less to lose weight and become healthier. There is no debate here but the way it makes each of us feel. For instance, I feel that until one has tried it, one shouldn't knock it like they have. But thats just me. For the record, I have. So I can speak about my experience.
  • dogbydog123
    dogbydog123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Be careful. Even body builders will tell you to only be in a state of ketosis for a few days at a time. When our bodies do not get enough carbs, we go into glucogenesis. One complication can be eventual kidney stones. Moderate amounts of carbs (high nutrition chouces) is a healthier option.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

The fact that fruit and vegetables are carbohydrate foods. Some have trace bits of protein and fat, but otherwise, fruit and veg fall in the carb macro category. If you are cutting carbs down to the bare minimum, you must cut fruit and veg.

Fiber is just a type of carbohydrate. It is not a separate thing.
  • JPW1990
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

The fact that fruit and vegetables are carbohydrate foods. Some have trace bits of protein and fat, but otherwise, fruit and veg fall in the carb macro category. If you are cutting carbs down to the bare minimum, you must cut fruit and veg.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or if you actually believe that.
  • Christine_72
    Options

fruit and veggies push me over my carb goal everytime. But I refuse to stop eating either of them

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

Sorry, what macro do you think veggies are? Fat? Protein? Alcohol? They are carbohydrates. True story.
  • JPW1990
    Options

Sorry, what macro do you think veggies are? Fat? Protein? Alcohol? They are carbohydrates. True story.

There is no such thing as a "no carb" diet. It's low carb. The foundation of every low carb diet is vegetables and some fruits. Did you actually think there were people running around eating nothing but bacon and cheese?
  • twins2x2
    Options
    No! A major food group should not be cut out from anyone's diet. Its unsustainable and extremely unhealthy. Your body needs carbs, its the main food group that gives you energy. Just limit processed carbs and eat complex carbs, limit meat and dairy. Cut out saturated fat, eat good fats. Simple changes have a big impact over time. Its not gonna happen over night. Any diet that claims really fast initial weight loss will just be water weight you lose not fat ....

Actually when I eat carbs it sucks all my energy and makes me feel sluggish and bloated. I feel great at a low carb/sugar level