Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Oo! That box looks really nice. I'm making my husband take me to a Japanese market next week to see if I can snag some nice things. While my box wasn't super diverse food-wise, it did really seem to make me feel more full cause it took me longer to munch on my various things. I'm actually excited to go to the store to restock on other things I can add to it because apparently all the things I have in the house that I want to add to it are brown, but I'm sick and being a hermit at the moment, so I'm just trying to finish up some leftovers still.

Here's my plain box again for tomorrow. Leftover hot sausage (must get rid of it!) with chopped onion in my main box. I may add some eggs to it, but I didn't add any eggs to it today and thought it was just super yummy anyway. Then I made a mini snack box with rice and nut crackers, a wedge of laughing cow cheese, celery, I'll have a coffee and possibly a pudding cup with it if I want to. I look forward to getting into cooking chicken and rice for this as I'm lazy and never want to cook anything.

About 465.6 calories for the food, and then the coffee has a 35 calorie creamer in it.
    x2xlib58qi7f.jpg

This thread has been super motivating! I'm going to look back and take notes on everyone's pictures so when I hit the store, I'll have a better game plan.

Edit because man, leftover sausage looks so gross in my pictures. XD It tastes good, I swear!
  • LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've found with the big monebento double layered boxes, if you have problems filling them up, then putting a roughly chopped salad into one layer can help (include dressing separately if you like). A lot of bulk, lots of veggies, not many calories.

In other news (as I'm sure you're dying to know!) I solved the hard rice problem pretty much by unwrapping the frozen rice before re-heating, adding a few tsps of water, and re-wrapping and microwaving (without piercing the film!).
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    LizN63 wrote: »
    I've found with the big monebento double layered boxes, if you have problems filling them up, then putting a roughly chopped salad into one layer can help (include dressing separately if you like). A lot of bulk, lots of veggies, not many calories.

In other news (as I'm sure you're dying to know!) I solved the hard rice problem pretty much by unwrapping the frozen rice before re-heating, adding a few tsps of water, and re-wrapping and microwaving (without piercing the film!).

I was actually wondering today when I was cooking my rice if you still had that problem. My last batch of rice was a little hard, and I think it's because I rushed the cooking process. A longer soak, and a longer slower cook seems to get my rice perfect, and stay 'soft' when reheated.
  • LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Good advice! I don't have a proper rice cooking pot just a normal pan; the lid allows some steam to escape, so probably the rice isn't the best to start with!
  • mangrothian
    Options
    I used one of my big boxes for tomorrow. It includes everything except the yoghurt I have for breakfast, and a peach, because you know, squishy peach is icky.
    27u799kodmt9.jpg
    Everything in the box totals 500 calories (my diary is open if you want to see the details for Feb 09th :) ). I know I won't use all the dressing on the salad that's in the bottle, so it will be taken home to use on the rest of the bag for dinner. If you include the yoghurt and the peach that is in my cooler bag as well, it's 710. The tamagoyaki is a 3 egg one rather than my normal 2, since I've not been making my protein goals lately, and I'm sure that's what has been giving me the munchies at the end of every day.

• mangrothian
    Options
    LizN63 wrote: »
    Good advice! I don't have a proper rice cooking pot just a normal pan; the lid allows some steam to escape, so probably the rice isn't the best to start with!

I just use a decent non stick saucepan which has a lid with a hole (you could just cover the lid in tin foil if you want to block it. If I had a cast iron pot, I don't think it'd make that much of a difference tbh.

What I would love is one of those Tiger brand rice cookers or similar. Input the type of rice(Japanese, basmati, jasmine), how you want it cooked (normal, congee, etc) and in how many hours you want it to be ready. Add rice and water. Push start, and it's ready when you are *drools*
  • satansees
    satansees Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Wow if I had one of those I might actually cook rice! I still default to the microwave kind more often than not.
  • beckybean17
    Options
    I love bento lunches!! I usually put mine together while making dinner so I can put aside a few pieces of meat/salad/rice or whatever we're having. I sometimes add a boiled egg or tin of tuna but always base it around vegies. They're fun!! :)
  • satansees
    Options
    So I cobbled together some completely unauthentic kimchi jjigae (from my mostly Chinese cupboard), which is hotter than the surface of the sun. And I have some raisins, but I really don't know how water-tight or not this is, and didn't fancy spicy raisins. A good test I suppose though. Wish me luck and an unsoggy bag!
    I do like the box though, it doesn't seem toooo huge and it's a good reason to fit more salad in my life.
    39twovwaduc4.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options
    If worst comes to worst, you could always wrap the kimchi sections with some cling film to keep all the liquidy goodness to itself. I've already droppedy lunch bag this morning and it's not even 7:30am yet, which is why I don't do soupy foods. My poor peach :(
  • mangrothian
    Options
    I love bento lunches!! I usually put mine together while making dinner so I can put aside a few pieces of meat/salad/rice or whatever we're having. I sometimes add a boiled egg or tin of tuna but always base it around vegies. They're fun!! :)

Same here :) my meat serving might be from my frozen stash, but the veg usually comes from dinner. My DH still doesn't know what to make of the star shaped carrot and flower shaped broccoli stems I'm serving him.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Will someone tell me where I'm going wrong with my egg shaping? I've never been able to make them not look derpy. :cry:
  • satansees
    Options
    I tried cling filming the pot, but they're super snug. If I have any on the base the lid won't close, and just on the side seems a bit pointless (maybe an elastic band?) OH WELL!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Will someone tell me where I'm going wrong with my egg shaping? I've never been able to make them not look derpy. :cry:

I put the egg in the mold while still kinda hot, close the mold and stick it in the fridge til it's completely cold. Having the right size egg for your mold also helps. That can be difficult since the molds aren't always marked.
  • PrizePopple
    Options

I put the egg in the mold while still kinda hot, close the mold and stick it in the fridge til it's completely cold. Having the right size egg for your mold also helps. That can be difficult since the molds aren't always marked.

Hmm 2 of my 4 molds have writing on them, but I don't read Japanese... :grumble:
  • mangrothian
    Options

Hmm 2 of my 4 molds have writing on them, but I don't read Japanese... :grumble:

The egg size is usually on the packaging. On the plastic itself, it's usually telling you if it's dishwasher safer or microwave safe. Don't worry, I can never get my egg shaping right either, so I don't bother anymore. My eggs taste good, and once they've gone in my mouth it doesn't matter what shape they are ;)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Alas, my package was not marked either, but fortunately large eggs worked.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    okay, tomorrow's snack bento & lunch bento. Snacks, melba toast w/ laughing cow cheese and a kiwi with an egg, didn't bother to mold it today. Lunch is jasmine rice, sugar snap peas, edamame, mixed color peppers & tofu hambagu. Details in my diary for the 9th.

fq8az5k72a2z.jpg
  • PrizePopple
    Options

The egg size is usually on the packaging. On the plastic itself, it's usually telling you if it's dishwasher safer or microwave safe. Don't worry, I can never get my egg shaping right either, so I don't bother anymore. My eggs taste good, and once they've gone in my mouth it doesn't matter what shape they are ;)

Well I bought this stuff when my kids were toddlers ... so now that they are 10 and almost 8 I'd like to at least once make them an impressive bento lunch. :laugh:
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    @PrizePopple most of my egg molds said L on them, but I've found that your standard large egg is kind of small for most of them. This last pack of eggs I bought seem a bit larger than average larges, and they have fit great. Since most eggs we buy are size L, you should be good to give them a try. I find that cooling them just enough to handle and peel is the perfect temp for the molds. I then leave them in the mold and toss them in the fridge until I'm ready to eat them.