Grocery store nightmare

Options
1234568»

Replies

• vvallentyne
    vvallentyne Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I find it tough depending on the day. Especially when they are baking fresh pastries.
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how much vegetables and fruit you eat..it won't make you fat at all. Eating processed chemical junk, excess oil and dairy can however make you fat!

Nope no nyoooope not at all never no incorrect sorry

• rocknrollfire
    rocknrollfire Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i get really excited over buying fresh seasonal fruits and vegetables. i get all tingly when august rolls around and i know ripe, juicy tomatoes are around the corner. brussels sprouts in late october? don't even get me started. strawberries in july are absolute heaven!

don't get me wrong. i love chips and pop and cookies. and i'll sometimes even buy myself some! but i learned that approaching this whole endeavour with a mindset that celebrates rather than vilifies food is not only easier, but a lot more fun.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't like grocery store fried chicken or baked goods. Never have. But I know they throw some chicken in the hot grease and bake cookies and bread in the oven at the end of the day when all of us worker bees are hitting the store on the way home. Tired and stressed out after a long day at the office, that stuff smells soooooo good. And I know they do it on purpose because even those with the best intentions of picking up stuff to make a salad are going to fall victim to this ploy.

I love how it's a ploy, as opposed to timing the preparation for when the customers are there. Anyway, I've never noticed, maybe because when I'm heading home from work that stuff isn't fresh any more and half the time they've packed up the salad bar. Oh, and also I just go buy whatever I need for dinner or don't shop when hungry as was covered upthread.

However, one time I was doing a bike ride through Missouri (Katy Trail) and it was pouring and we were in a stretch where there seemed to be nowhere to stop and eat but then we happened on a supermarket. I've never been so happy supermarkets had fried chicken. I'm sure it wasn't great fried chicken, but it sure tasted good.

That's the one and only time I've ever bought it, although I did do the rotisserie chicken from WF one time when my stove was broken.

• nicepurple
    nicepurple Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you take a look at how most grocery stores locate the items, you might be surprised that many of them have similar settings when putting foods and processed foods: fresh produce, meats, & dairy products are mostly located in the outermost isles and the processed foods are mostly located in the innermost isles in the store. Hope this will help you make better decisions and save you time when doing grocery shopping.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'd call this a grocery store nightmare.
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/video/10435949-police-shooting-beating-of-man-inside-bronx-grocery-store-caught-on-video/

The content of this thread? Not at all.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    i shop alot in various different ways
    i buy my meat online once a month and i get my main shop delivered every monday. not because im avoiding those tricky advertisments since i hardly notice them but because when i became ill recently it was easier than finding someone to push me in a wheelchair and now its easier on the weekend to grab my partner and my child to make sure everyone gets what they want (limitations on the child and her love of chocolate but she gets to choose one item)

on a friday evening thou we hit up a few of the lower priced supermarkets for top up bits and special items that have gone on sale

this friday we ended up with a watermelon, a bottle of ameretto, plants and seeds, milk and yogurts, nuts and seeds, sport socks, notebooks and fruit juice. no lists for those trips, just like to see what theyve got and what deals can be made