Fine line between counting/logging and obsessing?

Options
I am often accused by non-dieters of "obsessing" over calories. Do I? I guess the answer is "yes". I know that to maintain my weight loss I must forever "maintain" my caloric intake. Is that obsessive? I don't know. But YES I log everything I put in my mouth and YES I have my phone out in restaurants trying to find caloric numbers before ordering. I am tired of it...weary of it...sometimes hate it... but I KNOW that if I overeat (too many calories) ...I will gain weight. How to respond to that voice that questions "obsessing" .... whether it be someone elses or my own?

Replies

• NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I think you have to be obsessed to a certain extent. It becomes a part of who you are. Like second nature.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I tell them I don't care if it's obsessive, I only care that it works.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    If you can't change the situation then the only thing you can do is to change your own perspective.

When you're eating out & if the eatery has their menu online, pre-log it before you get there to have a meal with your friends & avoid some of the teasing.

I'm not sure how long you have been in maintenance but initially I was just overwhelmed with the fact that I may have to log my food for the rest of my life. But now going on 2 years, it really has become a seamless part of my routine - so frankly I don't even notice it any more. Sort of like an auto-drive mode like when automatically reach for my seatbelt before starting the car.

And obsessing is only a bad thing when it starts to have a negative impact on your quality of life. If being vigilant & diligent to keep the progress made is obsessing then I say so be it!

Best of luck to you!
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Obsessive is the ONLY thing that works for me.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If you get the results and it works then I wouldnt worry about it. I spend a lot of time thinking and montoring my diet, but my logging and counting could always be ightened up. I choose a level of attention that suits me, which is at a level to give me max benefits for effort taken, but not too much. For isntance worrying about 50 calories isnt really going to do it for me, since its pointless and I can exercise that way more eaily. Theres a point of diminishing return and common sense. Get your priorities right and keep things in perspective.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Obsessive works. If it works, who cares what others say.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend has told me that and it feels like an accusation, not complimentary. But I'm seeing good, consistent results. If it's obsessive to make sure I'm getting enough protein, fat, carbs/ fiber - all those goodies that make me stronger and healthier, then so be it =) I'm happy.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would ask yourself how the logging behavior affects the quality of your life. If you find that it's creating problems then I would seek other methods that allow you to either stop logging or reduce the frequency of it.
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated...
  • SideSteel
    Options

This is ridiculous.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you...I guess there are worse things I could obsess about!
  • logicalinks
    logicalinks Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Some people (those who don't count calories) call it obsession when it's actually focus. Obsessing would be if it happens all the time, even when you're not eating or preparing a meal. Focus is when you're doing the work related to monitoring your intake.

And aside from that... let your friends think what they will. If it's working for you, don't worry about it. :) I plan to count calories for the rest of my life. It's not burdensome anymore. It's just what I do now.
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I saw this on Buzzfeed the other day and it made me laugh! Any MFP'er will totally understand!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/catesevilla/hold-on-i-just-need-to-log-this#.pvWBz2Red
  • GeorgeRosie
    GeorgeRosie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you for asking this question and for the positive answers. I am trying to stay focused on my weight by logging everything that I eat because it works. I have lost 60 pounds and I don't want to gain a pound of it back.
  • belinda_73
    belinda_73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    been there. when i stop counting is when the calories start creeping back up and before you know it, you are back to square one. I wish I could be a little more obsessed again.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

This is ridiculous.

Ridiculous probably.... But it is also the truth...
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I'd just say, "I don't care. It's working." I really enjoy logging, believe it or not. It's a habit and just part of my daily routine. I'm maintaining now and I still log every single day, and will continue to do so long-term. My husband is used to it and, aside from playful teasing, he has no problem with it. Some people can lose the weight, stop logging, and maintain just fine without calorie counting - but not many. Quitting counting calories is one of the reasons why most people gain their weight back. I have no plans to do that, so I do what needs to be done, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

There are things that I think are going too far, like bringing a food scale to a restaurant or being so strict that you worry about things like holidays when it's totally unnecessary to do so, but that's my opinion and I wouldn't actually say something negative to a person that does that, as long as I wasn't genuinely worried about their health. People need to learn to mind their own business. I'll say things on MFP that I'd never say in real life because it's rude to call someone out like that in person. People here are asking for help - unless you're asking someone for help in real life, they should keep their advice to themselves.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    No, there is a huge difference between logging diligently and being obsessed. I got to a point in logging where all of my macros had to be perfect and if they weren't I'd have a breakdown that usually including binging on bags and bags of chips, jars of PB and nutella, anything I could get my hands on (including once, an entire jar of pickled beets). I would scrutinize my diary for HOURS a day. I wouldn't eat anything I hadn't prepared myself because I couldn't guarantee the accuracy of nutrition. THAT is obsessive. Logging your food does not make you obsessive.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I heartily used my obsessive nature to stick with the tracking this long.

I do think that some may take the tracking so far that everything is weighed/measured, all the time. The motive may be, "if weighing and measuring is good, more measuring will be better." There has got to be a law of diminishing returns, however.

The weighing and measuring is a great wake-up call on what a real portion is, and how many calories we are really consuming. But after that initial lesson, getting ever finer in our calculations won't significantly improve outcomes.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

This is ridiculous.

Ridiculous probably.... But it is also the truth...

This is a bunch of fitspo garbage and it's insulting to people who actually develop obsessive attitudes towards their diet.