WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2105

Options

Replies

• Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - I feel for you having to deal with the insurance company. They'll get it right in the end, I bet -- it may need your doctor stressing the emergency situation. In my case all I'm going through is said to be normal, but it turns out that patience in recovery is not my strong suit. It was a hysterectomy and repositioning of everything else nearby. No pain after the first day or two, just the lingering bloating and tiredness. In my mind I've moved past it, but the body hasn't caught up. (I guess after my earlier heart surgery I felt weak enough that it didn't bother me to go slowly.)

Allison - doesn't anyone else do the shoveling? I'd think the practice would hire someone. Also, doesn't that open the practice up to workers comp issues if you injured yourself shoveling? Though perhaps the outdoors is preferable to the 'climate' inside the office from your earlier descriptions....

Walked about 4 miles today. Hope tomorrow is nice so I can walk outside.

Gail
  • Strawbrie_D
    Strawbrie_D Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How do I subscribe?
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    bike ride hm 2 gym- 12.51min, 13.7mph 3mi = 106cal

spin class- 40min, 83av. revolutions per min, 109 average watts/power, 10-15 average gear (gears are 1-240, 16.3mi = 332cal

bike ride gym 2 train station- 6.25min, 13.2amph, 1.4mi = 85cal

bike ride train station 2 hm- 18.05min 8.8amph 2.7amph = 167cal
    690cal total
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    smiley-cool05.gif Spent a lot of time this morning at the dermatologist with Jake. She makes everyone wait a long time but she's a great doctor. She froze a few spots on his face but said that he was doing great since he has been so good about sunblock and wearing hats. He doesn't have to come back regularly, just if he notices something amiss. I spent time at the dentist getting a filling replaced in a front tooth. Even so, I was able to do most of what was on my list and meet my step goal.

smiley-sleep012.gif I'm up too late.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from NW Washington
  • hoff2002
    hoff2002 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    All our dreams can come true,
    if we have the courage to pursue them.
    - Walt Disney

(My prayer for you today is that each of us has the courage to pursue our dreams!)

DeeDee2211: Beautiful picture! Thanks for sharing!
    Beth: I’m so sorry about that you son has migraines again and that the state is so brilliant! Don’t you just love dealing with government agencies.
    Sylvia: Glad you are feeling better. I’m sure that the weight will come off quickly. There is no way that you gained 20 lbs! It has to be fluid. That’s still a whole lot of fluid though. Please take care of yourself.
    Pip: Sure hope you start feeling better soon.
    Barbie:
    I am always amazed at how much you accomplish. So happy that Jake doctor is encouraging and that all she had to do was freeze a few spots. Happy that your dentist visit went well, too.

Welcome to all those who are new or returning. Hugs and prayers to all those who are having a difficult time with the weather and/or illness. Congratulations to all who are doing well dieting, exercising, and/or maintaining.

DH and I have taken tomorrow off for our 42nd Anniversary. Our DD#2 is still visiting and will be returning tomorrow to Colorado. She lives with DD#1& her family. Wish I could go back with her! Today, DH was off and he and DD#2 went to one of our favorite poboy places, then they came and had lunch with me. They asked what I wanted and I told them I was bringing my salad because tonight we were cooking Crawfish Etouffee and Baked Catfish. Despite these being some of my favorite foods, I calculated the calories and managed to say under my caloric goal for the day! Yay! I, also, managed to walk 10,000 steps today! Woo Hoo! Especially happy with that one. In order to get there, I had to walk at work and then come home and walk. DD#3 and my DGDs came along for the walk. I still didn't manage to hit 10,000 until I walked another 300 steps in my house! LOL! I was determined to get there since I wasn't feeling well enough to walk this weekend. Tomorrow we are going somewhere for lunch with DD#2, DD#3, and DSIL. All this eating out is getting old...I love it, but it takes so much effort, I find, to make sure I'm accurately logging my calories. I won't be for much longer, DD#2 leaves on Wednesday. (Sad face!!)

It is really past my bedtime, so I'll say goodnight! Praying for blessings to all. Thank you all for your wonderful support!

Barb from South Louisiana

Goals for 2015:
    * Continue to drink at least 8 glasses of water per day
    * Do something nice for someone every day, even if it's just to give a compliment
    * Exercise at least 3x/week. Start out slowly and work up gradually
    * Focus on eating healthy one meal at a time/one day at a time

75142811.png
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Barb from Louisiana happy anniversary! 42 years is a long time, you must have found the right man and the key to happiness

Dee Dee wonderful picture of the sunset! Could look at it all day.

Sylvia so sorry about the scales and the insurance. Give the hospital and your doctor time and it will all get figured out. I have Blue Cross Anthem and there have been times when something hasn't gotten certified yet but it eventually works out. You are in a pickle though. I'm sure you want to give the hospital a piece of your mind over the care you received but yet you are wanting them to wait until all this gets straightened out so you do want them on your side right now.

Meg between my Tegretol, Elavil and Lorazepam I keep a fairly good handle on the neuropathy. It's there ALL the time just at a level that I can ignore. It's terrible if I am riding in the car a couple of hours or in a movie studio. sitting in church is fine because I have plenty of room to move around and can move frequently.

Carol I don't like the hibachi type eating either. My daughter and her ex loved this one particular place and they surprised us by taking us there one time. So we already knew 2 people. But I didn't think that the food was all that great for the price. It was a beautiful place though, so many little bridges and streams, koi fish. Just a lovely place. It's all in the showmanship of serving it

Strawbrie there is no 'joining'. You just stat posting and join in on the conversation. You tell us a little about yourself, if you feel comfortable, sign off with some kind of name and a general location like Indiana, etc

Heather Iove to keep my iPad handy when someone posts things so I can look up where they are. So I looked up Worlds end Sri Lanka. It is beautiful. The only waterfall I saw was the one with multiple levels. Your guide sounds wonderful. I guess you have him with you the whole journey!

Allison if all that snow was here, there would be no job to go to. Everything would be closed. I agree with whoever posted it that your practice needs to be taking care of it's own lot.

We had a spring type weather this weekend. Some of my friends here posted pictures of their flowers coming up. Then back down to the 20's today. I wish Mother nature would make up her mind. my oldest grand daughter is in her middle schools musical, Godspell Jr but they haven't made up their mind as to when it is going to be. The proposed date is 2 weeks away but they aren't sure. The teacher just doesn't think the kids are ready. I think you need to set a date of performance the day you announce the name of the musical. That way the kids KNOW they have to be ready on that date. This dear grand daughter also takes piano and vocal lessons from the teacher. No wonder she still can't hardly play anything. I think she needs to change teachers. She wants to be on Broadway. she just started lessons last summer and hasn't really got any preparation to get her into a college that will land a spot on Broadway.

Joyce, Indiana
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    Morning dear friends~well here it is just the hubby and I, and he leaves for work super early...
    at work there are usually 8 plus the Dr, he is 31-32 and really has no personality. on his down time with no patient's he plays computer games, doesnt really associate with us much..this generation I dont know. when they chivalry is dead, its true..he doesnt even offer to shovel, just sits in front of the computer.. the rest of us are women,someone else shovels if I am not there,but we do have someone that plows the parking lot. he does not shovel... so we do the ramp and around the walkway so patients will be able to get in...., we didnt have to many patients yesterday but we were all there except for one of us who lives down near the shore and she had ice down there, but she can work from home, because her computer is connected to our network.
    woke up at 2 am this morning and have a 9 am appt at the dentist to get my teeth cleaned then work after that, so have to make hubbys dinner and his lunch for tomorrow. and get the dogs out and get the laundry out of the dryer and take a shower and go feed my DFIL. and make my lunch. will shovel a little bit

• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I seem to have lost a day - I could have sworn I logged in yesterday, but it seems not and now I have lost my 32 day streak and starting back at the beginning.

Had a quick catch up with the most recent posts, and it seems we are all busy busy busy.

Loved the picture of the sunrise (?) DD loves to take pictures of the sun set on our walks with the crazy dog, we should take a camera with us instead of her using her mobile, it doesn't do the lovely patterns and colours justice.

Sylvia glad you are home and hope you are feeling much better soon.

I've just been to the doctors to have my 2nd blood test (for my needle stick injury) - hopefully this one will be okay too. I can't get any life insurance until they get the results.

I'd better get some work done, might have visitors today and I don't want the place to look untidy.

Welcome newcomers.

The sun peeped out but has now gone in :\ at least the fog is lifting. Doesn't look as if it's going to be as good a day as yesterday!

Viv York UK

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Just a hi for now.
    I got this in my email (I have Endomondo as well).

qmmarz7tfc20.jpg

Cynthia
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    Hallo all!
    My tablet keeps being attacked by rogue websites even though I've got security. Makes keeping you all on line hard work!
    I seem to be doing a pretty good job on the calories. Last night we shared an Arabic mixed grill and a vegetable masala and I only had four skinny fries and barely dipped them in the garlic mayo! I got DH to put them on the other side of the table! Had a light lunch of tandoori chicken with half the pitta bread.
    At the market this morning I bought a big terracotta pot of buffalo curd. I love sour things so I eat it without honey or anything. I had that for my afternoon tea break. Just a small portion. Absolutely delicious! ! ! !
    So, this morning we had a tour of the food markets looking at all the amazing fresh vegetables they grow here. Nuwara Eliya is where we are Joyce! Then we saw the 'jacket market' where they sell both discounted and fake designer anoraks etc. Then we went up to the old Victorian Post Office, which has a clock tower! We bought DGS a postcard of elephants in the Tooth procession, all dressed in their finery. Next we went to the Hill Club - an old establishment with the most amazing billiard room with old photos all around of hunting parties and animal heads decorating the walls. A great old telephone exchange!
    Then lunch.
    This afternoon we went to a big tea plantation and were taken on a tour. Saw all the processes the tea goes through. We had a cup of tea and bought some to take home. The tea plantations are very beautiful with their rolling mounds of bushes, interspersed with trees.
    Then I mentioned to the guide that we hadn't seen the Anglican church that was in the programme. He managed to find it eventually and we were given a tour. It was built in 1899 and really reminded me of my youth when I was a Sunday School teacher. There were many British graves there, many of babies and children who died of malaria. Sad.
    Hope those of you who are suffering from one thing or another will get well soon. I just hate dealing with bureaucracy - it drives me crazy!
    Talking about crazy, the only thing I don't like about this hotel is the subfusc lounge music. Crazy making! All my favourite tunes completely bowdlerised!

Love to all! Tomorrow we are off early to a jungle national park. Hope to see leopards etc. We have a room out in the jungle with wild boars, monkeys etc roaming around!

Heather, up in the tea hills of Sri Lanka.
    27681614.png
  • mo2go
    mo2go Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Afternoon from Scotland (Tuesday) - hope everyone is well. Been to the nurse this morning for the thyroid check up. It will be a few days before I know if there is a change of meds. Anyway yesterday was a good day and was so motivated from this section I was really good with my eating. Today I am not so sure. Lunch to me looks so big but it says its only 366 cals, seems low with the weight of the packet, but anyway I have logged it in and we will see in a weeks time what changes I have made.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :D Barb, one reason that I have so much time for walking, dancing, and riding the exercise bike is that I don't spend much time on housework or family or a lot of the things that other people do. I cook simple meals and don't fuss over clothes, make up, hair, manicures, shopping, redecorating, etc.

:D mo2go, there are many meals that are low in calorie and heavy in volume. I do a lunch for myself that has two eggs, half an onion and three cups of broccoli that is huge and around three hundred calories.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifI'd love to chat more, but there are dogs staring at me and wanting to walk again.
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Heather, love hearing about your sight seeing and am looking up the foods you mention to see what they are. Grew up in the country and mom always made very simple meals that my dad liked. So never sampled many exotic foods. I enjoy cooking very much but still just make simple fare.

Cold and windy here today! I feel bad complaining because the folks up North are having terrible weather. (((Sylvia)))

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I lost 9.6 pounds yesterday! Heehee! It's really fun to say that. Another 10 or so to go and I'll be back at pre-surgery weight.

I felt a little stronger this morning. So, I loaded the dishwasher, started a load of laundry, and put a roast pork in the crock pot. By then I felt tired, so that was enough, for now. Now I'm in the recliner drinking a bottle of water and waiting for hubby to get home from the Y.

Yesterday I took a pain pill in the early afternoon, and I think it made me dizzy and queasy the rest of the day, so today I'll try not to use one if the pain isn't too bad.

Here is today's joke of the day:

:)

Father Murphy walked into a pub in Donegal, and said to the first man he meets, "Do you want to go to heaven?"

The man said, "I do Father."

The priest said, "Then leave this pub right now!" and approached a second man. "Do you want to got to heaven?"

"Certainly, Father," was the man's reply.

"Then leave this den of Satan," said the priest, as he walked up to O'Toole.

"Do you want to go to heaven?"

"No, I don't Father," O'Toole replied.

The priest looked him right in the eye, and said, "You mean to tell me that when you die you don't want to go to heaven?"

O'Toole smiled, "Oh, when I die, yes, Father. I thought you were getting a group together to go right now."

:D

Have a great day!

Sylvia
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi Sylvia, you sound good! Keep taking care of yourself!

Cynthia
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,

It is finally snowing here! Yay! We need the snow. I live up in tourist area, and we have not even been able to go out snowmobiling this year yet! Now with the snow our special event of eelpout on the 20th through the 22nd will be much more successful!

Barb from Louisiana - Happy Anniversary! 42 years, that is such a legacy to leave your children and grandchildren! I hope that you have a fun day celebrating with your husband!

Sylvia - my daughter works n billing for the clinic hospital system and she said that a lot of the time Blue Cross denies claim the first time and all you have to do is resubmit your claim. My husband cut his wrist with a chainsaw last October and his bill of $56,000 was denied we nearly flipped out! we called Blue Cross and they said they just needed additional information from the hospital. I'm glad to hear that you lost that 10 pounds! You are probably just retaining the water.

Time for me to do my exercises! Everyone have a great day.

Mary from Minnesota
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hubs got his new FitBit yesterday (the Charge) so we are racing to see who can step the most today. So far I'm winning! :)

I got a new scale yesterday because my old one had too many fat people standing on it for too many years and it just gave up. This one shows me a couple of pounds higher than I thought I was. But it also shows .2 pound increments so I can see even small changes. That will be encouraging.

Welcome to all the new ladies!

Diana in Northeast Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: Good luck with your continued recovery. Sorry you have to take on your insurance carrier. Try a call to them and go from there. You shouldn’t have to deal with this and recover at the same time. Congratulations on getting rid of a bunch of the water weight. You probably feel much better. The rest will be gone in a short time, and then you won’t have to speed so much time in the “loo.” Don’t be too quick to discontinue pain meds. Your body burns energy fighting pain, and you need that energy for recovery. Love the joke today.

Meg: I have a couple of friends who’ve had knee replacement surgery. It curtailed their activity for several weeks, but ended up to be a real blessing. I’m sure you’ll make a good decision when you’ve had time to consider the issue. One of my friends is a teacher and timed her surgery at the beginning of summer break so that she’d be ready to go in the fall.

Pipcd34: You re on fire. Great exercising!

Barbie: Good news for Jake! Yay!

Barb from S Louisiana: Happy Anniversary! Hooray for staying within your calorie goals. I made crawfish etouffee once, substituting shrimp because I couldn’t find crawfish. I didn’t use as much spice as the recipe called for because I wanted to be able to eat it, too. It was good, but not great. DH has a cast iron stomach and would have preferred the full-on recipe. If I make it again, I’ll make some for me, and full-on for him.

Viv: I do all my food logging using my iphone app as I go along during the day. I've been given credit by the system for logging in every day, whether I visit the rest of the site or just log.

Cynthia: I distrust big conglomerates and am sorry that MFP is now part of one. I’m hoping that it keeps its good qualities and doesn’t get watered down.

Heather: Thanks for sharing your travel adventures. I am seeing the world vicariously, though your eyes. My DH has never been an adventure traveler. I don’t expect that to improve due to his many medical issues.

Diana in NW IN: I think it is great that you and DH are competing for the most steps. It sounds like fun for you both.

Today we are getting our photos taken in order to renew our passports. We’re planning on a trip to Victoria BC with DS and DDIL later this year. I absolutely LOVE Victoria. It is a beautiful city, and we haven’t been there in more than three years.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    Sylvia,

I am surprised you are eating meat. Meat is one of the hardest things to digest. I would think they would have given you a diet to help your gut heal and after it heals to gradually introduce foods. Meat would be one of the last to be added.

I read this is true after any kind of trouble with your gut or routine test. We get in such a hurry to get back to our normal diet our poor guts suffer for it. I am guilty too of being in too much of a hurry to get back to normal when I have had problems, and I suffered for it.

We got some freezing rain and now snow. We are only due to get one to three inches. Nothing like out east. We had that kind of winter last year. UGHHHHH! The east has my sympathy. As hard as it is do try to keep your storm drains clear. When it melts the water needs somewhere to go. Parts of our area here had trouble with flooding as a result of the snow last year. Sometimes there are preventative steps you can take if you take them early.

:heart: MNMargaret

• noexcuses118
    Options
    CherryS wrote this: "fat, 50, invisible slump that I've heard so many women go through"

This PERFECTLY describes me at this point in my life! But I'm determined to change it right now. Still on track since January 16. I'm proud of myself.

CP in So. Fla.