what roll does sugar play in weight loss?

Options
ive always believed weight loss was all in the calories in vs calories out. but someone told me today id probably lose more if i cut out all sugar except natural sugars and the occasional treat. does it really make a difference how much sugar i have as long as im under my calorie goal?

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Hasn't for me. I don't watch sugar or sodium and I'm down 10 lbs in 2 months, with only 13 lbs total to lose.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    No, it does not.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't make a difference. Unless you have a medical reason to watch it, you don't need to cut it out.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    ive always believed weight loss was all in the calories in vs calories out. but someone told me today id probably lose more if i cut out all sugar except natural sugars and the occasional treat. does it really make a difference how much sugar i have as long as im under my calorie goal?

That person is an idiot
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    It adds empty, non-productive calories. Other than that, it is calories like any other. Nutritionally, your calorie allotment could be better spent.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    Maintaining blood sugar level is key to sticking to a good eating routine. When your sugar level spikes, then falls, it induces the hunger pangs and we make bad food decisions like munching on food with no nutrition at work. Hence, one should avoid the starchy carbs as well as sugars.

2 reasons - to stabilize blood sugar, and to avoid filling up on food with no nutritional value. Sure you can eat all your calories in MnMs, but your body will break down if you don't feed it the good food.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    nope, calorie deficit is all you need.

unless you have a medical condition that makes your sensitive to sugar, but even then it is CICO….you just have to adjust the in side….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    kdeaux1959 wrote: »
    It adds empty, non-productive calories. Other than that, it is calories like any other. Nutritionally, your calorie allotment could be better spent.

so sugar does nothing? really?
  • NormInv
    Options
    sugar does provide inefficient carbs, and excess is stored as fat
  • ndj1979
    Options
    NormInv wrote: »
    Maintaining blood sugar level is key to sticking to a good eating routine. When your sugar level spikes, then falls, it induces the hunger pangs and we make bad food decisions like munching on food with no nutrition at work. Hence, one should avoid the starchy carbs as well as sugars.

2 reasons - to stabilize blood sugar, and to avoid filling up on food with no nutritional value. Sure you can eat all your calories in MnMs, but your body will break down if you don't feed it the good food.

nice straw man argument about eating M&M's all day. Please tell me how is making that argument, or where OP ever mentioned that. You can eat sugar and in the context of an overall diet not have to word about it.

Protein spikes insulin too, so should that be restricted…???????
  • Acg67
    Options

Lol, so in humans how common and efficient is dnl?
  • ndj1979
    Options

even if I am in a calorie deficit? So sugar defies the laws of physics and math???
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

No, it does not.

Most people don't track very well (especially people who don't actually track, like most dieters), and it's often an easy way to cut calories without tracking, though, if someone currently eats lots of treats. Some people might find it an easy way to sustain a deficit, but others won't.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

No it doesn't. There may be some issues with feeling full because some high sugar foods can also be high calorie foods so you don't get much for your calorie allotment and others, like fruit juices, give you the calories without making you feel full at all. Satiety is a personal thing and, in order to lose without feeling hungry, you want to eat the most satisfying foods you can which, for some means high fat, for others means high protein, and others find high carb foods satisfying. Most feel good and lose well with a variety.

There is no difference whatsoever between natural and processed sugars, your body treats them the same. Sucrose (table sugar) comes from cane or beets. It also comes from maple syrup. Your body doesn't care, it will metabolize all sucrose the same.

• NormInv
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

Lol, so in humans how common and efficient is dnl?

as common as sqp

• ndj1979
    Options
    this thread is destined for un great things….
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Roll? Cinnamon.
  • NormInv
    Options
    Sugar is high in calories make...plus no nutritional value. Anyone who says just east less to lose weight is missing the link that the body needs to have nutritional food to sustain itself, otherwise you will start having medical issues, calorie deficit or not.

Read up on Lyle McDonald
  • Acg67
    Options
    Sugar is high in calories make...plus no nutritional value. Anyone who says just east less to lose weight is missing the link that the body needs to have nutritional food to sustain itself, otherwise you will start having medical issues, calorie deficit or not.

Read up on Lyle McDonald

Sugar has 4 cals a gram, so we should avoid fat cause it's high in calories?

Funny lyle says dnl isn't common in humans