Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Looks yum to me. Except for the cheese and crackers, yours isn't too far from what the lunch part of my Bento box looks like when I'm having chicken (I say lunch part since mine includes breakfast as well as my snacks).

The cheese and crackers is the snack, so probably pretty close then. I want to try shrimp and cold rice noodles next, just need to come up with a coating (I hesitate to say sauce since I don't want it saucy) or maybe some faux sushi. So many ideas! This is fun already.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    If you want a 'coating' rather than a sauce, you could always try a ginger paste with dried coriander and a small amount of chilli or sesame oil and a squeeze of lime juice. It's what I use with my soba noodles
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »
    Looks yum to me. Except for the cheese and crackers, yours isn't too far from what the lunch part of my Bento box looks like when I'm having chicken (I say lunch part since mine includes breakfast as well as my snacks).

The cheese and crackers is the snack, so probably pretty close then. I want to try shrimp and cold rice noodles next, just need to come up with a coating (I hesitate to say sauce since I don't want it saucy) or maybe some faux sushi. So many ideas! This is fun already.

I make a cold soba noodle dish with a coating made from sesame tahini with a little soy sauce and rice vinegar, and a hint of garlic and red pepper flakes. It's delicious cold,and the sauce isn't runny at all.
  • Daiako
    Options

I make a cold soba noodle dish with a coating made from sesame tahini with a little soy sauce and rice vinegar, and a hint of garlic and red pepper flakes. It's delicious cold,and the sauce isn't runny at all.

These both sound great! I'll have to see what's floating around my kitchen (I really really need to shop. Like...ten days ago I needed to and now it's 'hey, dear, when did we buy this? You think it's co to eat?' Time.) But I think I actually have all of the above on hand.

I hope the rice noodles keep up, but I probably have soba noodles around here if they seem 'ick'.
  • satansees
    satansees Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I made a great looking lunch with a few leftovers. But I gave myself food poisoning last night, so it's going in the bin. Sad. I have a banana, I'm pretty wary of it.
    I'm busy pretending I'm not sick, so I don't have to own up to the ailing boyfriend. Oops.

It had udon noodles in it. They looked fine this morning, and not dry at all. How about some kind of dressing? (Cute sauce pots!)
  • LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that, hope you're feeling better soon!

I love anything with an owl on it, so this recent fashion for owls (I say recent, it's probably years now) really hit my bank balance. If they had mini Bries in the shape of an owl I'd be doomed.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    Another sauce/dressing idea is miso ginger salad dressing from Harris Teeter. It's great on noodles with lots of vegetables.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    And very low calorie.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    For all the Brie eaters...What's a good brand? I've tried Brie on several occasions (the cheapo stuff) and mostly found it kind of blah. I saw that what they sell to us americans is not the real deal, but is there some good stuff to try? The baby Bries that @snugglesmacks mentioned sound awesome!
  • mangrothian
    Options
    For all the Brie eaters...What's a good brand? I've tried Brie on several occasions (the cheapo stuff) and mostly found it kind of blah. I saw that what they sell to us americans is not the real deal, but is there some good stuff to try? The baby Bries that @snugglesmacks mentioned sound awesome!

I doubt you can get the cheese I have access to here, which is sad because the cheese here is awesome. Since Australia barely allows any dairy products to come into the country nearly all the cheese I get is local. But if you can find and cheese from King Island dairy, they're awesome and I know they export quite a bit.
  • reesrachel00
    Options
    Shaped eggs? tell me more
  • Malyndiajc
    Malyndiajc Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Long time stalker first time commenter :wink:

Look up "egg molds" on amazon... there are so many nifty shapes
  • satansees
    satansees Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I actually like Le Rustique, which is just the default Brie here. Or a Cornish Brie. But I rarely see mini Brie at all (too much crust, not enough mooey goodness) I actually prefer Camberbert though, which is similar but smellier.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Malyndiajc wrote: »

I'm starting to get this feeling that we have quite a few people stalking this thread, lurking in the darkness.
    9aonqmyng6xl.jpg
    I'm starting to get scared....
  • Daiako
    Options

I'm starting to get this feeling that we have quite a few people stalking this thread, lurking in the darkness.
    9aonqmyng6xl.jpg

*shifty look*

• LizN63
    LizN63 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    satansees wrote: »
    I actually like Le Rustique, which is just the default Brie here. Or a Cornish Brie. But I rarely see mini Brie at all (too much crust, not enough mooey goodness) I actually prefer Camberbert though, which is similar but smellier.

Ooh here Le Rustique is a Camembert and I do actually like Camembert better as it lacks that 'edge' I find Brie has.
  • SpecialKitty7
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks! I'll have to check out those brands and see what I can either buy or import :smile: apparently the US has a ban on unpasteurized dairy. If it's raw milk it has to cure for 60 days, which as I have learned, a lot of the good cheeses are either raw or less than 60 days.

9aonqmyng6xl.jpg

This is nearly exactly what i think when another lurker comes out of the shadows!
  • Daiako
    edited February 2015
    Options
    oxqeogvhfkj8.jpg

I went in intending to just grab a few things to send to my sisters for school annnnnd insanity. Almost 40$ gone.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    @Daiako it's so hard when everything is sooo cute!
  • mangrothian
    Options
    oxqeogvhfkj8.jpg

I went in intending to just grab a few things to send to my sisters for school annnnnd insanity. Almost 40$ gone.

Bahahahaha! Someone went to Daiso! You're a goner now >:) . I'm pretty sure I have everything in that picture - I have the bunny and panda prints on all of mine though.