Low Fat or Low Carb

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    To go low carb you have to reduce fruits, milk and sultana bran. Three of my favourite things lol
    Just these 3 things make it near impossible for me to do low carb :unamused:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    LOL at people quoting a wall of text only to add it's unreliable and should be removed.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Low Fat or Low Carb
    "What have you found that works better for you?"
    Neither.
    Adequate protein, adequate fat, carbs whatever amount that happens to fall within my calorie allowance.

"Which plan did you like better because you had better results with when cutting fat and maintaining muscle? "
    A plan that results in the right number of calories, suitable amount of all three macros and train hard.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    krknobbe10 wrote: »
    What have you found that works better for you? What foods have you ate in the past that havin been included in these low fat/low carb plans? Which plan did you like better because you had better results with when cutting fat and maintaining muscle?

I don't do low anything and haven't cut out any foods, use no plan other than this: I replaced daily mindless overeating and grazing with meals, focusing on tasty foods and a varied diet, at a proper calorie goal. Eating what I like and feel is healthy leads to what I also think is a good balance between the macros (17P, 45C, 38F (I'm in maintenance)).
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Low carb, for me it's the best weight loss tool by far. Plus I love meat and veg, so I'm kinda of drawn to it by default.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Low carb for me because it absolutely slaughters my appetite. Sorry for all the cows that get slaughtered along the way, but when I need to lose pounds, it's the easiest way to not go insane.

I like this lecture because the person giving it is a vegetarian and he's none too thrilled with the research results favoring a lower carb diet for weight loss, but he's honest enough to present them anyway:

January 17, 2008 presentation by Christopher Gardner for the Stanford School of Medicine Medcast lecture series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo

• kommodevaran
    Options
    Christopher Gardner is a vegetarian, well what a surprise :po:)
  • Jolinia
    edited February 2015
    Options

And yet the data he presents favors the low carb diet for weight loss and doesn't show any health issues with it. He has a sense of humor about it, though. He's a good speaker, too.

Edit: Just caught the pun! I'm slow this morning. Need more coffee!
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »

And yet the data he presents favors the low carb diet for weight loss and doesn't show any health issues with it. He has a sense of humor about it, though. He's a good speaker, too.

I'm having coffe right now! Must be why I'm so funny haha B)

• Jolinia
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »

I'm having coffe right now! Must be why I'm so funny haha B)

Isn't it sad when your humor is wasted on those of us who aren't quite awake yet? I got it eventually, just took me a minute. Never pass up a pun!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    On average I think that most are likely to find a low carb diet more sustainable than low fat, although on average I suspect most wouldn't sustain either (but no form of weight loss has proven to be particularly sustainable). However, that does not mean that one needs to go "low carb" for the benefits of lowering carbs somewhat to be experienced. I found, especially when I was fat and not particularly active, that simply lowering my carbs to 30-40% of total calories made a big difference, and I suspect that if I'd been careful to eat carbs with protein and fat and eaten as healthy a diet as I did that I would have gotten the same effect even at MFP's recommended 50% or something higher. In a way doing low carb (or low fat) is a way to force yourself to do things (like cut way down on high calorie treats) that you could simply choose to do. It's not a magical way around CICO.

Now, clearly, for some even things that would make no effect on me, like reducing pasta, help with sustainability. I think low carb is likely to be more helpful for people whose struggles in a diet have to do with hunger (however, I find if I eat a healthy diet I'm not hungry, regardless of carb percentage).

But what seems obvious is that people differ somewhat when it comes to the effect of macronutrient percentages, so I'd never recommend that people choose one vs. another (well, other than getting enough protein and fat). I'd say experiment, and that most people can lose on any breakdown, so what you find most satisfying is what will matter.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    None. I love fat. I love carbs. I love all the food.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I think It's interesting that people say they don't do 'low carb' but cut out many major sources of carbs (pasta, rice, sugar, ect) Effectively that is low(er) carb. Why such a stigma with low carb diets? There are many ways to restrict your eating habits, vegetarian, vegan, no red meat, ect... Low carb is just one of those ways.

In short, don't hesitate to try low carb if you think it may help you! I support it fully.

I think it's interesting that you think people only cut back on carbs. People also cut back on cheeses, sauces, butter and other fats. Weird how cutting back on calorie dense foods (fats) and fillers (carbs) reduces calorie intake.

The further towards one end of the diet spectrum you get the more likely you are to fail at it. Don't hesitate to balance your macros and not feel like you have to restrict your eating (cutting carbs/fat/junk/etc.). Many of us fully support it.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I think It's interesting that people say they don't do 'low carb' but cut out many major sources of carbs (pasta, rice, sugar, ect) Effectively that is low(er) carb. Why such a stigma with low carb diets? There are many ways to restrict your eating habits, vegetarian, vegan, no red meat, ect... Low carb is just one of those ways.

In short, don't hesitate to try low carb if you think it may help you! I support it fully.

I think it's interesting that you think people only cut back on carbs. People also cut back on cheeses, sauces, butter and other fats. Weird how cutting back on calorie dense foods (fats) and fillers (carbs) reduces calorie intake.

The further towards one end of the diet spectrum you get the more likely you are to fail at it. Don't hesitate to balance your macros and not feel like you have to restrict your eating (cutting carbs/fat/junk/etc.). Many of us fully support it.

Everyone thinks their personal preference has a better success rate than everyone else's. Doesn't make it true. People succeed and fail with any of them.
  • BC1966
    BC1966 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    low carb hands down !!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Everyone thinks their personal preference has a better success rate than everyone else's. Doesn't make it true. People succeed and fail with any of them.

People are more likely to fail when their plan is closer to an extreme end of the spectrum. People fail in general because they don't stick to anything. As soon as you start cutting out things that you don't have to it's even less likely they will stick to it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options

Realistically, the diet you can stick with (regardless if it's vegan, low carb, low fat, etc..) is the best one for you. I can't do low carb as it causes me to binge and my a1c is on the low level with borderline hypoglycemia. So in the end, we can't really suggest which is one is better without knowing how the OP reacts to these diets. This is why i prefer a moderate approach and adjusting as necessary.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I don't. I think what works differs from person to person.

That's why I don't like it when people say that low carb is better or is necessary or that low fat is better or necessary or that MFP's recommended macros are better or are necessary. People should figure out what works for them.

For me, neither. (Also, I've found that even for me the amount of carbs and fat that work best vary over time.)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Neither works well for me. If those were the only 2 choices, I'd go with low carb, because I don't find most foods satisfying without fat.

Luckily, neither is required. I eat moderate amounts of all three macros. I concentrate on higher fiber carbs, but not for weight loss. I do that whether I'm trying to lose or not.