10 pounds lighter and tighter by April - Support thread!

Options

Replies

• starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    April 2nd is my 1 year anniversary of joining the gym and getting serious. I'm totally in on this! Plus if I do this I'll be a few pounds PAST my half way point.
  • jlkermode
    jlkermode Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    jonikayrn wrote: »
    I started this challenge on 1/24/15 at 205. My current weight is 195.8. I have lost 9.2 lbs in 3 weeks. The last 2-3 days I have been really hungry -never really feeling satisfied. My calorie goal was 1330, but I decided to increase it by 100 - 150 calories to try to get to a point where I'm not feeling hungry so much. Anyone have any advice or feedback?

This is amazing!! Good job!! I would try eating smaller, but more frequent portions throughout the day of fruits, veggies or other fiber rich foods to help you feel full. If I try and eat a 100 calorie "snack pack" of cookies, I feel like I didn't eat anything at all! But if I just have an apple and water- I feel full and satisfied for a while.

Oh yeah- drink lots of water! I remember someone once telling me that often we confuse thirst for hunger.

For low cal healthy recipes, I've been going to skinnytaste.com and spark recipes. Tonight I made creamy shrimp pasta from Spark Recipes:
    d2y0zr9nwfaq.jpg

It was delicious and my husband (who isn't on a diet) was raving about it! And only 363 cals a serving!!

What did everyone else have for dinner?
  • stephmw9
    stephmw9 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Low sodium canned salmon salad. My new favorite!
    Loaded with veggies.
    Your dinner looks AMAZING!
  • jonikayrn
    jonikayrn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @jlkermode‌ Thank you for the advice! And yes, that meal does look delicious! I'll check out those recipes. I have been eating every 2-3 hours. Good food too! But I haven't been eating enough at those times to really feel satisfied, so I'm ending up hungry most of the day. Maybe I need to eat enough at regular meal times to be satisfied, and then eat nutricious mini-meals in between. The water is something I definitely need to pay more attention to! I'm going to stick with my current calories for awhile longer and see if I can tweek my eating so that I don't feel deprived. Thank you! Your response has really motivated me!
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Yay! Giddy!
    DH just purchased my no-nighttime-snacking reward present: something blingy!
    He's cheating as it's a combo Valentine's Day gift.
    But he also purchased a gorgeous ring for our 20years dating anniversary (married 12yrs), which isn't until September, but I get to wear it now!
    Will post pictures when they arrive.

It's sitting on the couch/accounting work for me today.
    I am SO sore from yesterday's:
    - 2+hrs of shoveling snow off the roof
    - 45min of crazy fun Zumba
    - 12min of Day 10 abs/pushup Challenge.
    I am broken.

@nanavickig‌
    great idea about the knitting, instead of snacking
    I also love to read, just not during accounting season.

@jlkermode‌
    That dish looks delicious!!!
    DH made homemade chicken parmesan for dinner.
    I paired mine with zucchini noodles, instead of pasta. Yummy!
    Well, anything after 2hrs of snow shoveling, 45minutes of Zumba, and 12minutes of Day 10 abs/pushup challenge, would taste good! Hahahaa

@jonikayrn‌
    I used to eat every few hours, BUT for me, that backfired.
    I thought about food too frequently, and each time I think about food, I had to make good food choices.
    BUT now, I try to hold off on my eating as long as possible, having tea to hold me off.
    So I can usually have ~400 calories for a filling late lunch ~1pm.
    Then maybe 150cals for late snack ~3:30pm.
    Then 850cal all for dinner = I am a happy full girl. This helps me not snack at night.

Do what works for you.

Amanda
  • jgrabowski33
    jgrabowski33 Posts: 19 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @jlkermode‌ your dinner looks great! I have been using shrimp a lot lately- I have a ton of raw shrimp leftover from Christmas just sitting in the freezer.
    -
    EDE16E3D-EFC5-4C7F-85D6-1C9F01879A89_zpskqif90xq.jpg~original

this is just whole wheat penne, sauteed shrimp, organic crushed tomato, basil, and some grated romano cheese. It's delicious! And 393 calories per serving (I add a little bit more than a serving of pasta because a serving is so small).

I'm down 5.8 lbs now since January 22, so about a 2 lb loss per week. Hopefully I can keep this rate for a while and slow down a little once I'm closer to my goal. I've been lifting and doing cardio, and lots of squats! My butt has always been little and that's something I want to change haha.
  • kalawhon
    kalawhon Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm in!! I'm aiming to lose at least 5-6lbs, I was at a healthy 125 two yrs ago, then life got in the way of things but I'm ready to get back to my healthy living for good!

Kim~ 28 ~ 5'6

CW: 134
    GW:128

I've done at home workouts ever since I started my journey 3yrs ago, did P90X 3x's and had awesome results!! Lost 11lbs and toned up nicely...3/2012

My workout plan: P90X/Turbo Fire Hybrid.. along with Jogging.
    Workout 6 days a week.
    Take in 1500 calories a day
    Eat healthier
    No junk/sweets for a month (to clean my system out)

Excited to have other ladies do this with me and all motivate each other!!

LETS DO THIS!!!! XOXO Kim
  • kalawhon
    kalawhon Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    We have almost the same goals!!! Excited to apart of this group!! Thanks for the push!!!
    Kim :)
    faelight wrote: »
    Hey everyone! I'm here to rally some peeps together who want real positivity and accountability in losing 10 POUNDS by April 1st! This means you can take up to 10 weeks (1 lb/week) to do it. Let's support each other. :)

~ ~ ~
    Here's where I'm at:
    Current weight: 139lb Goal weight: 129lb
    Current estimated body fat: 25% Goal body fat: 18-20%

My Goal calories: 1300/day (an approx. deficit of 500 based on the Harris Benedict Equation and Katch-McArdle Formula - http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html).
    My Goal exercise: 30 min. of bodyweight intervals at home (to start), 6 days/week. I love heavy lifting but don't have access to a gym right now.
    My Goal food: whole food-based, vegetarian, light on the dairy, and eating not out of boredom or loneliness, but rather for optimal health! These are really important goals for me.

I estimated my body fat and realize that gaining muscle will throw off weight loss/goal weight numbers. That's all okay, I'm not looking to be perfect in calculating this journey. I DO however want to be stronger, leaner, and healthier!! :) So that is my focus. If anything else, I hope to show peeps that we don't have to be obsessive to make great transformations - we can be positive and still move in the right direction, making adjustments along the way.
    ~ ~ ~

And for your handy information:

1 lb/week = 10 weeks from today - Wed. April 1st, 2015.
    2 lb/week = 5 weeks from today - Wed. February 25, 2015.

Post your stats or at least your goals below if you're in!
    Let's do this!!!!!! (*) B) (*)

• jlkermode
    Options
    @stephmw9‌ @huango‌ @jgrabowski33‌ YUM! I love hearing all the ideas for meals! You definitely don't have to starve yourself to eat healthy.

@jgrabowski33‌ I definitely used to have a little butt too! It was flat and sad! Ever since I started lifting, it's grown rounder and I'm really starting to love it. Even my mom commented that my butt was "huge!" - haha and she meant it as a compliment.

Right now I'm doing Strong Curves, by Bret Contreras. It's a weight training program for women with a special focus on shaping your glutes and lower body. I love it. It's something I would definitely suggest looking at if you haven't already.

Love all the posts here! It's my "time of month" so I DARE NOT weigh myself, but I'm excited for a weigh in next wk.

Happy hump day, ladies!
  • jgrabowski33
    Options
    @jlkermode I will check it out! I was thinking about New Rules of Lifting for Women, but I have heard good things about Strong Curves as well. Anything to get that booty!
  • sellerskennington
    sellerskennington Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    @jlkermode‌ your meal looks so yummy! I am checking out those two sites for meal ideas.
    @jgrabowski33‌ your meal looks so yummy, also. do you have any sites you visit for recipes?
    @huango‌ , Amanda, how do you make your zucchini noodles? Yesterday I took my son to a restaurant and order fried zucchini fries. He chowed down then he realized they were "green". Fried not good, but having any of my men eat veggies is tough. I really want to incorporate them in ways they aren't expecting.
    @jonikayrn‌ holy smokes! way to go on the weight loss! Please share advice! Is your food diary available? I might go check it out for ideas.

Crazy thing in my head today: what if I don't reach the 10lb goal by April 1...gosh I will feel awful. But then had to remind myself that any lose is successful. I have lost 3#so far. With Lent around the corner, there are a few things that will be dismissed for 40 days, so that will also help contribute to weight loss. Also I am so frustrated with my knee preventing me from doing much weight training. I am unable to do lunges, squats, and running or motions that resemble that. So, if anyone has any suggestions on exercise they think would be helpful, I WELCOME THEM WITH OPEN ARMS!

Thanks and have a great day!
    Sellers
  • jlkermode
    Options
    @jlkermode I will check it out! I was thinking about New Rules of Lifting for Women, but I have heard good things about Strong Curves as well. Anything to get that booty!

New Rules is awesome too! I started out a complete newbie to weight lifting and finally decided to try New Rules last summer. I completed the first phase and loved it! It gave me the confidence and know-how to go to the free weights area of the gym right alongside all the guys.

The only thing about New Rules is that it gets really complicated after Phase 1. I didn't want to constantly be looking at the book or a list to remember what exercise to do next. So I switched to Strong curves, which keeps it pretty simple but effective.
  • jlkermode
    Options
    @sellerskennington‌ sorry to hear about your knee! have you tried Pilates or power yoga? Those might be good ways to strengthen and also get in some good cardio without being high impact on your knee. There are some good free websites where you can stream videos of 20-30 min cardio yoga workouts. Check out Doyogawithme.com
  • sellerskennington
    Options
    @jlkermode‌ great idea! My gym offers yoga classes, but often in the middle of the day or around dinner time. Husband is full time grad student, so I am full time work and mommy. If I don't hit the gym by 6am, it's a no go for the rest of the day. I could do the videos at home while the boys are home. THANK YOU!
  • jgrabowski33
    Options
    good to know, I'm all for simple. I just looked at and excerpt of Strong Curves and it looks great. Simple, and I love the tips on form. I will definitely be ordering!

@sellerskennington‌ I use pinterest for recipes a lot, looking at the health and fitness section. Greatist.com has a lot of awesome recipes too! But mainly, my tastes are pretty basic- I eat a lot of fish and green veggies, chicken breast, and lots of fruit. As for incorporating veggies where they wouldn't be expected, check this out:

http://greatist.com/eat/alternative-noodle-recipes

this list is awesome too. Buzzfeed has a lot of lists of healthy meals, this is one of the more recent ones:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/emofly/51-healthy-weeknight-dinners-thatll-make-you-feel-great#.dq51XnAxeJ
  • sellerskennington
    Options
    Question for you guys who are experts in MFP: after x amount of weight loss, do I go in and readjust any settings to alter my caloric intake or does MFP take care of that?

thanks!
  • stephmw9
    Options
    MFP readjusted it for me when i updated my weight. I had lost 12 lbs since my last weigh in so it changed my caloric intake. It told me it was going to do it though.
  • jlkermode
    Options
    Confession: I totally went over my calories for the day by, like... ALOT. I normally am set for 1650 cals per day. But "Time of the month" for me equals completely giving into my cravings! Ugh!
    Going to try to make up for it tomorrow by going to the gym and refueling on some leafy greens...
  • stephmw9
    Options
    im fighting the pizza urg so bad today for some reason. I walked almost 11km today and I think I just didnt eat enough.
    I feel ya about the time of the month!
  • Monkieboo2014
    Monkieboo2014 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join. Just joined a gym and got more serious about working out. Highest weight was 192. Lost 20 pounds without ever logging onto mfp, then started logging everything 3 months ago, been bouncing back and forth with the same 3 pounds. Also realized that out of the friends I had when I started back in mfp 3 months ago, only 1 is still active on it. So, if anyone wants another friend here, feel free to send a request.