Calories Post-dog

Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    No one knows where the poor dog is?

If anyone knew about the dog who caused this, the owner(s) could successfully be sued for letting the dog run loose.

You have never heard the term stray?
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »
    Serious discussions like this one call for serious answers.

WeinerDog.jpg

I so want one of those!!!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Yet another reason to not like dogs for me!

because they have accidents sometimes? so do humans.

The dog didn't have an accident; its owner did for letting it run free in the road. The owner of the dog should have been sued for this, but of course, there's no way of knowing who the negligent owner is. My father, when he taught me to drive, emphasized that NO ANIMAL is worth more than MY LIFE. If an animal is in the road, whether tamed or wild, do not swerve, do not slam on your brakes, and if you hit it, oh, well. Just last year three teenagers died from swerving to avoid a freaking raccoon on the road.

Timothy's accident was completely avoidable had the dog's owner been responsible enough to contain the dog in a fenced back yard or in the house.
    So did the parents find the racccoon's owner and sue them? Or did the raccoon have a collar on?

Unfortunately, the raccoon escaped unharmed so there was no way of telling.

Of course, the victims lost lots of calories as they died.

lol
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Okay so what does "OP" mean?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Okay so what does "OP" mean?

Original Poster - the person who started the thread.
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options

So, you don't like cars, and air planes, and step ladders and everything else that can cause accidents, either? Doesn't leave much in this world for you to like ;)
  • Arliah
    edited February 2015
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Was the dog a pit bull? Because my answer may change if it was.
    (just kidding, I love to stir the pot sometimes)
    I echo the other comments that staying at maintenance calories is probably the best bet.

<sarcasm>
    Yes, because if it was a pit, then it would have been on purpose ... we all know how vicious these dogs are. Always looking to hurt humans.
    </scarcasm>
    Sorry, big pit lover here :)

But seriously, I hope the OP will get better soon!
  • Arliah
    Options

If anyone knew about the dog who caused this, the owner(s) could successfully be sued for letting the dog run loose.

Oh please ... people sue for EVERY DAMN THING in this country ... -.- It was an accident for heaven's sake.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

The dog didn't have an accident; its owner did for letting it run free in the road. The owner of the dog should have been sued for this, but of course, there's no way of knowing who the negligent owner is. My father, when he taught me to drive, emphasized that NO ANIMAL is worth more than MY LIFE. If an animal is in the road, whether tamed or wild, do not swerve, do not slam on your brakes, and if you hit it, oh, well. Just last year three teenagers died from swerving to avoid a freaking raccoon on the road.

Timothy's accident was completely avoidable had the dog's owner been responsible enough to contain the dog in a fenced back yard or in the house.

Sued? Really?!? Wow people will sue over anything these days. Also- how do you know the dog was owned? He could have been a stray.

Completely avoidable? Really? Again, it could have been a stray. Glad you have psychic powers to know if was completely avoidable. Along the line of this argument, one could say he was at fault as well. He could have been paying attention better and seen the dog (not saying you actually did anything wron OP, just pointing out the absurdity of this post).

If I were the owner, I would offer to pay for medical expenses, seeing as my dog was off leash. Accidents happen, but it doesn't mean I am not responsible as owner.

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Arliah wrote: »

Oh please ... people sue for EVERY DAMN THING in this country ... -.- It was an accident for heaven's sake.

I'm not talking about suing here. But in a car accident, if you are at fault, even when just an accident, you are expected to compensate. Dogs are not supposed to be off leash.

I am a total dog lover. And my family goes to great lengths to make sure our dogs are safe and sound.

• elphie754
    Options

Dnarules wrote: »

Sued? Really?!? Wow people will sue over anything these days. Also- how do you know the dog was owned? He could have been a stray.

Completely avoidable? Really? Again, it could have been a stray. Glad you have psychic powers to know if was completely avoidable. Along the line of this argument, one could say he was at fault as well. He could have been paying attention better and seen the dog (not saying you actually did anything wron OP, just pointing out the absurdity of this post).

If I were the owner, I would offer to pay for medical expenses, seeing as my dog was off leash. Accidents happen, but it doesn't mean I am not responsible as owner.

So as the cyclist would you offer the pay the dogs medical bills? What if it was a dog sitter that accidently let the out? Or a small child who didn't know better? After all, they coul easy saw he should have been able to see the dog (especially if a bug breed) if he was paying attention (again, not saying he didn't but they could easily argue that).
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

so, the dog is possibly dead now, but he should sue the owner? ridiculous.
  • elphie754
    Options

I usually don't agree with you, but 100% this. It could have been a stray or someone's pet. If it is someone's pet, I feel so sorry for that family. The pup may or may not have gone home after getting hit. If he did, it is terrible to se a beloved pet hurting. Ifit did not make it home, there is a family out there that don't know where their dog is and are likely devestated. Lots hard on a family when a pet dies/becomes lost. If the family has small children, it can be even worse. Have you ever tried to explain to a young child why a family member is gone? And yes, I consider pets as part of the family.

I already know that the person is going to comeback and say "well if they cared that much why wasn't the dog leashed?" So I'll answer that now. Have you ever had pets? No matter oh well you care for them and pet proof your house, they can still find trouble. Lhe could have dug under a fence, chewed through a leash, slipped his collar, and the list goes on and on.

We had an electric fence for my dogs when I was growing up. The one was terrified of the fence. We used to laugh because when we would take him to my grandparents house we would say "watch out!" When he was in the yard (phrase you say to tell the dog he is getting to close to the fence). My grandparents didn't have a fence but the dog thought she did (because we would put his collar on). My other dogs were good at staying inside the fence, but if power went out (like a storm) while they were out, an they didn't hear the hum of the collar as they got near the fence, they would run.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options

When I was growing up, you could let your cats and dogs roam around the neighborhood. Why we so litigious? Life happens!

• Melishark
    Melishark Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Animal Rescue here ... I'm sorry to hear about your accident.. I hope you're feeling better soon. I also worry about the poor dog (human nature for most of us) and hope he found his way home or onto the porch of someone who will take him in and care for him. He's probably hurting too. -- I also rehab raccoons and other wildlife -- I do swerve for raccoons and slow down too .. but do it so I don't hurt anybody else. :)
  • elphie754
    Options

When I was growing up, you could let your cats and dogs roam around the neighborhood. Why we so litigious? Life happens!
    Lol. If I let my dogs run free, it would be impossible to get them back in the house. As for the cats? Let's just say I am glad I am now in apt, 5 floors up, so they can no longer scratch out a screen and play hide and go seek in the bushes for hours.
    Melishark wrote: »
    Animal Rescue here ... I'm sorry to hear about your accident.. I hope you're feeling better soon. I also worry about the poor dog (human nature for most of us) and hope he found his way home or onto the porch of someone who will take him in and care for him. He's probably hurting too. -- I also rehab raccoons and other wildlife -- I do swerve for raccoons and slow down too .. but do it so I don't hurt anybody else. :)

Wow! I envy your job. I'm sure it can be really sad at times though. I am an animal lover, if I had the space, I'd adopt a million cats lol. Everyone always said I should be a vet, but hurt animals make me too upset. Sick humans- no problem, injured whimpering animal- I break down crying lol. Not to mention what would happen to the human responsible for neglect/abuse *inocent whistle*
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I usually don't agree with you, but 100% this. It could have been a stray or someone's pet. If it is someone's pet, I feel so sorry for that family. The pup may or may not have gone home after getting hit. If he did, it is terrible to se a beloved pet hurting. Ifit did not make it home, there is a family out there that don't know where their dog is and are likely devestated. Lots hard on a family when a pet dies/becomes lost. If the family has small children, it can be even worse. Have you ever tried to explain to a young child why a family member is gone? And yes, I consider pets as part of the family.

I already know that the person is going to comeback and say "well if they cared that much why wasn't the dog leashed?" So I'll answer that now. Have you ever had pets? No matter oh well you care for them and pet proof your house, they can still find trouble. Lhe could have dug under a fence, chewed through a leash, slipped his collar, and the list goes on and on.

We had an electric fence for my dogs when I was growing up. The one was terrified of the fence. We used to laugh because when we would take him to my grandparents house we would say "watch out!" When he was in the yard (phrase you say to tell the dog he is getting to close to the fence). My grandparents didn't have a fence but the dog thought she did (because we would put his collar on). My other dogs were good at staying inside the fence, but if power went out (like a storm) while they were out, an they didn't hear the hum of the collar as they got near the fence, they would run.

it is nice when we agree. i love dogs.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The dog owner should 100% cover the medical expenses.

Yes, *kitten* happens. But it's still your own responsibility. Our dog ran and attacked another dog one day, and the leash snapped out of my husband's hand... Were we supposed to tell that dog owner 'oh sorry, *kitten* happens'? No. We paid the vet expenses for her dog. Because it's our dog, our responsibility, and the right thing to do.

Of course, if it's a stray... well...
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    The dog owner should 100% cover the medical expenses.

Americans really do think that way, eh?

Whereas we Canadians tend to think, "the government should 100% cover the medical expenses."

We also have no-fault insurance here, so in the case of a car accident, same deal.
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    lol - first the dog knocks you off your bike, now he hijacks your thread!

Sorry about your accident T-Fish. Get well soon.