Calories Post-dog

Options

Replies

• Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you had an accident and am glad you are ok! I would plan on eating at maintenance until you are recovered.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    The dog owner should 100% cover the medical expenses.

Yes, *kitten* happens. But it's still your own responsibility. Our dog ran and attacked another dog one day, and the leash snapped out of my husband's hand... Were we supposed to tell that dog owner 'oh sorry, *kitten* happens'? No. We paid the vet expenses for her dog. Because it's our dog, our responsibility, and the right thing to do.

Of course, if it's a stray... well...

I view a dog viciously attacking a person or another dog as entirely different from a dog accidently running into a bike. I doubt that the dog really wanted to run into the bike and injure himself, but accidents happen.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

Yes, *kitten* happens. But it's still your own responsibility. Our dog ran and attacked another dog one day, and the leash snapped out of my husband's hand... Were we supposed to tell that dog owner 'oh sorry, *kitten* happens'? No. We paid the vet expenses for her dog. Because it's our dog, our responsibility, and the right thing to do.

I view a dog viciously attacking a person or another dog as entirely different from a dog accidently running into a bike. I doubt that the dog really wanted to run into the bike and injure himself, but accidents happen.

Yes, but the law can't cater to every single scenario. What if a dog off leash runs out and bites someone? What if a dog off leash runs out in front of a car and the driver swerves to miss it and hits something? What if the car behind the driver then rear ends the driver? These things cost money, time, pain....you can't expect someone who had nothing to do with the original problem (the dog being off leash) to take an additional hit just because it's a dog and we all love dogs.

Dogs need to be on a leash, no matter what. Anything that happens while a dog is off leash is the owner's responsibility. That's just the law. Follow the law, and it won't be a problem for you.

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, I would eat at maintenance. I worried about gaining weight when I had hip surgery and couldn't do much of anything for the first 3-4 weeks and then just short walks for 2 more. Someone else said that the body would use more calories to heal itself. I have no idea if it is true, but I wasn't real diligent on my diet and did not gain a pound in the 6 weeks out of my workout routine.

Hope you heal fast!
  • Aviva92
    edited February 2015
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

Yes, but the law can't cater to every single scenario. What if a dog off leash runs out and bites someone? What if a dog off leash runs out in front of a car and the driver swerves to miss it and hits something? What if the car behind the driver then rear ends the driver? These things cost money, time, pain....you can't expect someone who had nothing to do with the original problem (the dog being off leash) to take an additional hit just because it's a dog and we all love dogs.

Dogs need to be on a leash, no matter what. Anything that happens while a dog is off leash is the owner's responsibility. That's just the law. Follow the law, and it won't be a problem for you.

vicious dogs should be put to sleep imo. they are a tragedy waiting to happen. i don't feel the same way about a dog that accidently runs into a bike.

i don't know what the law is. just my personal feelings.

this is all kind of irrelevant anyway since the o.p. has no idea who owns the dog.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

vicious dogs should be put to sleep imo. they are a tragedy waiting to happen. i don't feel the same way about a dog that accidently runs into a bike.

this is all kind of irrelevant anyway since the o.p. has no idea who owns the dog.

It is irrelevant in this case, but it is absolutely the law. It is what it is because it needs to cover a wide range of scenarios to protect the public.

There was a case here a while back here where the dog off leash ran out, caused an accident, DIED and the owners were still responsible for the damage to the car.

Is it fair? Well, they admitted to knowing the law and they knew the dog should be on its leash when not in the home. So, kinda.

Does it totally suck for them? Absolutely. I can't think of anything more heartbreaking than losing one of my pets except, of course, losing one of my humans.

Would I, as a dog lover, pursue them for them for it? It depends. If it's a couple hundred, probably not. If we are talking thousands, then absolutely. Why should I be out that money? What if I didn't have the money? I didn't cause the problem, it wasn't my dog...

But that's why we have homeowner policies. Insurance may cover it.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I suspect that any extra calories used in healing are far, far less than the calories you're no longer burning from being laid up. If it helps.

Get well soon. That's some serious stuff. I don't cycle anymore due to the dangers. Too much going on in this city.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    This thread scares the bejeezus out of me. I'm already clumsy on my bike on a straightaway and a dry road. I just have to hope no dogs collide with me while I'm dusting off the rust. I remember when I was a little kid we had dogs, horses, four wheelers, cars, and runners to dodge and all was well. I should have never stopped riding my bike!
  • Aviva92
    Options

It is irrelevant in this case, but it is absolutely the law. It is what it is because it needs to cover a wide range of scenarios to protect the public.

There was a case here a while back here where the dog off leash ran out, caused an accident, DIED and the owners were still responsible for the damage to the car.

Is it fair? Well, they admitted to knowing the law and they knew the dog should be on its leash when not in the home. So, kinda.

Does it totally suck for them? Absolutely. I can't think of anything more heartbreaking than losing one of my pets except, of course, losing one of my humans.

Would I, as a dog lover, pursue them for them for it? It depends. If it's a couple hundred, probably not. If we are talking thousands, then absolutely. Why should I be out that money? What if I didn't have the money? I didn't cause the problem, it wasn't my dog...

But that's why we have homeowner policies. Insurance may cover it.

fair enough. not sure what i would do in this situation. it bugs me though.
  • Ooci
    Ooci Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear of your accident Timothy and hope you have some good pain meds. What a piece of bad luck.
    I'd agree with eating at maintenance. I lost major amounts of weight whilst healing from surgery - and the crashing off of weight, compounded with the wounds, left me weak as a kitten and prone to infection.
    Your body has had a real shock and needs looking after - take care.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I love MFP. I also agree - eat at or very slightly under sedentary maintenance.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Ooci wrote: »
    I'm so sorry to hear of your accident Timothy and hope you have some good pain meds. What a piece of bad luck.
    I'd agree with eating at maintenance. I lost major amounts of weight whilst healing from surgery - and the crashing off of weight, compounded with the wounds, left me weak as a kitten and prone to infection.

Fortunately, I didn't have to have surgery, and though I have moments of intense pain, it is mostly manageable. I'm finding that I'm more tired than normal. That may be an indication that I'm burning more calories.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Having your dog attack another dog is very different than dog got loose and someone hit it. Where I live, if your dog bites another dog, you are legally responsible for all vet bills related to the attack. If your dog was not registered with the dog warden, that is an additional fine. No rabies vaccine? Dog is in quarantine for the mandatory amount of time and you have to pay for it. Your dog attacks another dog after the first bite? They are taken away and usually euthanized. Pretty much the same if you dog bites a person. Of course, there are always loop holes and it depends on if the bite/attack happened on your property or not.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Fortunately, I didn't have to have surgery, and though I have moments of intense pain, it is mostly manageable. I'm finding that I'm more tired than normal. That may be an indication that I'm burning more calories.
    I think our bodies will feel tired when healing, just because feeling tired keeps us sedentary which is helpful for healing. But the actual processes of bones re-fusing and muscles healing from bruises don't seem like they'd be very energy intensive in themselves. Just that they'd benefit from lack of movement occurring simultaneously. But I've never seen it suggested that one burns more calories when healing. Usually I've seen the opposite-- that lack of activity and appetite dials it all back a notch.

• TimothyFish
    Options

I think our bodies will feel tired when healing, just because feeling tired keeps us sedentary which is helpful for healing. But the actual processes of bones re-fusing and muscles healing from bruises don't seem like they'd be very energy intensive in themselves. Just that they'd benefit from lack of movement occurring simultaneously. But I've never seen it suggested that one burns more calories when healing. Usually I've seen the opposite-- that lack of activity and appetite dials it all back a notch.

I don't think there is any question that the healing process requires additional energy. Cell division takes energy. Raising the body temperature requires energy. But I don't know how much more energy it takes. Then there are other things, like having to use different muscles to accomplish ordinary tasks. But that may well be offset by the reduced activity level.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I also think that healing requires limited movement and more rest. Weight loss shouldn't be anyone's priority at that point. Getting better should be. Maintenance for a few days or weeks might delay your weight loss goal by those few days or weeks, true. The added calories burned probably won't be enough to compensate. But that's a small price to pay for your health.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Yet another reason to not like dogs for me!

because they have accidents sometimes? so do humans.

The dog didn't have an accident; its owner did for letting it run free in the road. The owner of the dog should have been sued for this, but of course, there's no way of knowing who the negligent owner is. My father, when he taught me to drive, emphasized that NO ANIMAL is worth more than MY LIFE. If an animal is in the road, whether tamed or wild, do not swerve, do not slam on your brakes, and if you hit it, oh, well. Just last year three teenagers died from swerving to avoid a freaking raccoon on the road.

Timothy's accident was completely avoidable had the dog's owner been responsible enough to contain the dog in a fenced back yard or in the house.

Sued? Really?!? Wow people will sue over anything these days. Also- how do you know the dog was owned? He could have been a stray.

Completely avoidable? Really? Again, it could have been a stray. Glad you have psychic powers to know if was completely avoidable. Along the line of this argument, one could say he was at fault as well. He could have been paying attention better and seen the dog (not saying you actually did anything wron OP, just pointing out the absurdity of this post).

If I were the owner, I would offer to pay for medical expenses, seeing as my dog was off leash. Accidents happen, but it doesn't mean I am not responsible as owner.

So as the cyclist would you offer the pay the dogs medical bills? What if it was a dog sitter that accidently let the out? Or a small child who didn't know better? After all, they coul easy saw he should have been able to see the dog (especially if a bug breed) if he was paying attention (again, not saying he didn't but they could easily argue that).

This is asanine, so I won't bother. Dogs are supposed to be on leash, period. And I am a dog lover.

• Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I badly fractured my pelvis years ago (requiring two surgeries, plates, screws and God knows what else but I light up metal detectors). I hadn't been trying to lose weight prior (I was actually pregnant when the "accident" happened, while being born a month early my daughter was fine), anyways. I was told to not try to lose weight, (which did happen anyways because the pain killed my appetite). Based on that I would agree with everyone who said eat at maintenance or slightly below for your size and activity level. I wish you a speedy recovery
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    I'm not sure how much of this is due to the injury and how much is other factors, but I weigh 5 lbs less today than I did two weeks ago on the day it happened. But I wouldn't recommend this as a diet plan. Just the medical expenses I've seen so far are right at $8000.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I badly fractured my pelvis years ago (requiring two surgeries, plates, screws and God knows what else but I light up metal detectors). I hadn't been trying to lose weight prior (I was actually pregnant when the "accident" happened, while being born a month early my daughter was fine), anyways. I was told to not try to lose weight, (which did happen anyways because the pain killed my appetite). Based on that I would agree with everyone who said eat at maintenance or slightly below for your size and activity level. I wish you a speedy recovery

Me too with the pelvic fractures and metal detectors. I lost well over 10 lbs during the months I was in a wheel chair, presumably from muscle atrophy, I guess. But maybe also the healing process.

It was customary among my family and friends to bring food and sweets to the sick and injured. In spite of all those goodies, I still lost weight