Low Fat or Low Carb

Options

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

Hey, what calculator? I just went to the ShapeFit one and I think the estimate was probably very off for myself based on how I carry my weight. Or did you do the skinfold method?

I tried the Shapefit calc and it was within a pound of the bmi-calculator.net one.

Until April that will just have to do. Does not really matter all that much anyway (except to some high strung people here). My relative loss of fat and muscle gain is what is important to me.

I also thought it would be a more accurate picture of my fat loss / muscle gain and I think it was. Ten pounds of muscle seems closer to what my body looks like now.

Well, it is possible that I am severely underestimating the muscle I've built, given how difficult it is to build in a caloric deficit. But my arms and legs look a lot of muscular now that I've thrown off some of the fat. I think I would take the calculator results with a grain of salt until you have those results confirmed clinically.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »

It is not me that is saying it. There are many mainstream programs and people who live by all this. Someone at the top of the page gave some info about the Atkins diet as well which has alot of similarities. Do a little research.

Just because a program promises something, doesn't make it founded by solid science. Just look at all of the detox and cleanses.

Regarding atkins, they promise up to 20lbs the first month because they know the average person will lose a ton of water weight from glycogen depletion. So your 20 lbs lose is merely water weight loss.

I did not lose mine doing Atkins. I lost 25 pounds of fat and gained 5 pounds of muscle lifting heavy weights, a little cardio, and sensible carb / sugar reduction.

Again, this is based on an internet calculation, which can be vastly off. So promoting this information as fact is disingenuous and unsubstantiated by reliable methods. That information alone is where you will get called out consistently.

And my purpose of using Atkins or detoxes was to address your comment about mainstream programs promoting wild claims.

No, I definitely lost 20 pounds of weight. FACT.

The 5 for 5 muscle gain was an estimate based on half a pound of gain per month... conservative estimate.

I just went to the online calculator (sorry I do not have an immersion bath handy) and it says I lost 30 pounds of fat and with my 20 pounds of weight loss that means 10 pounds of muscle gain.

No matter how you look at it, I lost alot of fat and gained alot of muscle. I post on myfitnesspal how I personally did that so that others can use it. Im not here to try to singlehandedly defend any national program or another that you CLAIM has wild claims.

wait your dropped 20 pounds of fat but someone managed to gain 5 pounds of muscle.???

*mindblown*

He corrected it to 10 lbs of muscle.

ohhhhh ten pounds…

*headexplodes*
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hey, what calculator? I just went to the ShapeFit one and I think the estimate was probably very off for myself based on how I carry my weight. Or did you do the skinfold method?

"I tried the Shapefit calc and it was within a pound of the bmi-calculator.net one.

Until April that will just have to do. Does not really matter all that much anyway (except to some high strung people here). My relative loss of fat and muscle gain is what is important to me.

I also thought it would be a more accurate picture of my fat loss / muscle gain and I think it was. Ten pounds of muscle seems closer to what my body looks like now.
    "

I just want to be absolutely clear here for people reading this who may be new to fitness and nutrition. This is almost certainly patently FALSE. I try very hard not to be negative and berate people who may be spreading falsehoods by accident. However, your responses in this thread so far lead me to only one conclusion, you really don't know what you are talking about and you refuse to listen. You are wrong sir.

Alot of people here are saying the same things and yet you pick on me. You ask me for details yet provide none of your own.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I tried the Shapefit calc and it was within a pound of the bmi-calculator.net one.

Well, it is possible that I am severely underestimating the muscle I've built, given how difficult it is to build in a caloric deficit. But my arms and legs look a lot of muscular now that I've thrown off some of the fat. I think I would take the calculator results with a grain of salt until you have those results confirmed clinically.

more than likely you have lost body fat that has lead your existing muscle to show more …

are you new to lifting? If yes you may have newbie gains….
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I like to eat what I think is best for my body and maintain around 1200 to 1400 cals.
    Sometimes its high carb, sometimes low carb. Lots of fruits and veggies, lots of steel cut oatmeal too. Beans...yum.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    Options

I considered that as well, but the gains in my arms and certain other areas are just too big to be attributed to fat loss. And I do whole body stuff. I also do plenty targeted at legs and back.

I've only been on mypal for 2-3 months so maybe all my muscle gains were earlier when I had a lighter calorie deficit?? But I was still losing alot of weight while I was gaining.
  • obscuremusicreference
    Options

more than likely you have lost body fat that has lead your existing muscle to show more

That's what I said . . .?

I'm putting my newbie gains at a solid 1 pound, due to a medical restriction on my left shoulder.
  • ndj1979
    Options

more than likely you have lost body fat that has lead your existing muscle to show more

That's what I said . . .?

I'm putting my newbie gains at a solid 1 pound, due to a medical restriction on my left shoulder.

whoops, missed that part…sorry …

• obscuremusicreference
    Options

I considered that as well, but the gains in my arms and certain other areas are just too big to be attributed to fat loss. And I do whole body stuff. I also do plenty targeted at legs and back.

I've only been on mypal for 2-3 months so maybe all my muscle gains were earlier when I had a lighter calorie deficit?? But I was still losing alot of weight while I was gaining.

Wow, that's crazy. What was your deficit when when you were gaining muscle. TDEE -%?
  • obscuremusicreference
    edited February 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Reduce body fat + Increased glycogen = The illusion that we are building muscle.

Agree.

Edit because quoting
  • ndj1979
    Options

sorry bro, but you did not gain 10 pounds of muscle while losing 20 pounds of fat ….

your calculations are off, or something…

I just bulked for four months and put on about five pounds of muscle and that was while eating in a SURPLUS….
  • ndj1979
    Options

sigh …and here we go …

the answer is "it depends"

newbies can have newbie gains while eating in a calorie deficit and progressively lifting heavier weights; however that tends to peter out after about four months or so.

High performance athletes can gain muscle while in a deficit.

for 90% of the rest of us it is not going to happen.

you can do a recomp = eating at maintenance and slowly losing some fat while gaining some muscle but that is a SLOW process that can take months if not years….and technically your not in a deficit when eating at maintenance…
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

"I tried the Shapefit calc and it was within a pound of the bmi-calculator.net one.

"

I just want to be absolutely clear here for people reading this who may be new to fitness and nutrition. This is almost certainly patently FALSE. I try very hard not to be negative and berate people who may be spreading falsehoods by accident. However, your responses in this thread so far lead me to only one conclusion, you really don't know what you are talking about and you refuse to listen. You are wrong sir.

Alot of people here are saying the same things and yet you pick on me. You ask me for details yet provide none of your own.

I have seen no one else claim to have lost 20 pounds of fat and gain 10 pounds of muscle. Not one. I certainly won't make that claim. I don't mind at all sharing my details. I lost 60 pounds of WEIGHT. I didn't begin to even check my body fat till I was about half done. I used skin fold calipers which are inaccurate, but a hell of a lot more accurate than an online calculator. The last 30 pounds I lost, I also lost @ 5 pounds of lean mass. I lifted heavy for most, but not all of that time and I ate adequate protein most of the time. My guess is that I lost @ 10-15 pounds of LBM over the whole time. I am not picking on you dude, but you are wrong on this one. You are only looking for info that confirms your idea. The reason these other people are calling you out is because they know, based on real studies, that what you are claiming isn't possible. I think you need to stop posting this stuff until you can back it up with peer reviewed studies. And there aren't any. I'm done now, I only wanted to put it out here so new people wouldn't read this and think they could have those kinds of results, because they can't. Again, good luck.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

sigh …and here we go …

newbies can have newbie gains while eating in a calorie deficit and progressively lifting heavier weights; however that tends to peter out after about four months or so.

you can do a recomp = eating at maintenance and slowly losing some fat while gaining some muscle but that is a SLOW process that can take months if not years….and technically your not in a deficit when eating at maintenance…

I don't want to "here we go" anything lol.
    I am totally clueless about building muscle etc etc I just happened to read this article this morning, and thought it may be of some interest to people here :smile:

• ndj1979
    Options

sigh …and here we go …

I don't want to "here we go" anything lol.
    I am totally clueless about building muscle etc etc I just happened to read this article this morning, and thought it may be of some interest to people here :smile:

no problem…

it just comes up a lot :)

• GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    My brother is working on his PhD in Dietetics so I'm really lucky that I have someone with concrete science to dispell the confusing (and sometimes downright WRONG) information that is out there. Its hard because we are all looking for a quick fix. Diets don't work. No matter how you slice it, it all comes down to calories in and calories out. Focus on whole grains, make sure you are getting adequate protein (you need a min amount of protein to lose weight), and try to reduce consumption of processed foods and sugar as much as possible. Don't forget to take a day off too! I take a day off every 2 weeks and eat whatever. It seems to stimulate my metabolism -- not to mention, its a much needed treat!

Source of concrete science....then says to take a day off to stimulate metabolism...

There are some studies that indicate that calorie cycling can positively affect metabolism. You don't have to look very hard to find them.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    Options

sorry bro, but you did not gain 10 pounds of muscle while losing 20 pounds of fat ….

your calculations are off, or something…

I just bulked for four months and put on about five pounds of muscle and that was while eating in a SURPLUS….

I certainly did lose alot of fat and gained alot of muscle. I tried to calculate those gains twice. Maybe my numbers are off a little but the fact of the magnitude remains. It is indisputable.

You gained 5 pounds of muscle in FOUR months. I said I had my gains over a year. Plus, I have repeatedly said that it could be my exact situation. I am an old fat guy compared to you young bodybuilders. I could have probably lost the same amount of fat just doing the lifting alone... considering how I went from a lean strong 140 in high school to 203 pounds of fat in my forties.

BTW, my body right now is pretty close to yours (from the picture). You have a little more definition in the obliques but I am close I think.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    Options

"

I have seen no one else claim to have lost 20 pounds of fat and gain 10 pounds of muscle. Not one. I certainly won't make that claim. I don't mind at all sharing my details. I lost 60 pounds of WEIGHT. I didn't begin to even check my body fat till I was about half done. I used skin fold calipers which are inaccurate, but a hell of a lot more accurate than an online calculator. The last 30 pounds I lost, I also lost @ 5 pounds of lean mass. I lifted heavy for most, but not all of that time and I ate adequate protein most of the time. My guess is that I lost @ 10-15 pounds of LBM over the whole time. I am not picking on you dude, but you are wrong on this one. You are only looking for info that confirms your idea. The reason these other people are calling you out is because they know, based on real studies, that what you are claiming isn't possible. I think you need to stop posting this stuff until you can back it up with peer reviewed studies. And there aren't any. I'm done now, I only wanted to put it out here so new people wouldn't read this and think they could have those kinds of results, because they can't. Again, good luck.[/quote]

Sorry, it is just a fact. I do measurements as well. FACT is fact.