Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I got home way too late last night. To avoid having to buy my lunch I still made my Bento, but it was a quick one. And by that, I mean the vegetables and meat were done before the rice had defrosted in the microwave, and my normal fruit and yoghurt was done before the rice had cooled.

Total time taken: about 6 minutes from rice out of the freezer to box in the fridge. Still colourful, still tasty, but could have done with more protein since it was a gym day for me.

Diced (ok, torn) roast chicken with Nando's peri peri salt, some kind of bagged Asian salad, rice and an umeboshi. Total cal: 445
    weyd2u4h6lx2.jpg
    I was too tired to take a picture last night, but I'm sure you all appreciate my half eaten lunch ;)
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    umagb4b56ow2.jpg

Here's the total haul. Sending most of it to my younger sisters (They love cute things like this, they're thrilled). Now to teach them fun things to put into it/how to pack it.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    @LizN63 Did you say.... owls?

These are the cups and bowl I have at work. The bowl holds my yoghurt (or miso soup in Winter), and the others, well, what ever I can put in them, I drink from them. Funnily enough, I haven't bought myself an owl bento box yet. I should get on to that.

5v3555azdvyq.jpg
    zp8csupdj5h1.jpg
    8f46rvoi77vh.jpg
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    oh wow, these owl cups and bowls are so cute!

I decided today to get more serious about planning my food, so here's today's bentos

n6azgl5dboio.jpg

- chicken stirfry with boiled broccoli, some leftover pea & potato stew and a few olives for lunch
    - half an apple and a piece of spanakopita for snack

The pic is from this morning when I packed them, but when I got to work they were a mess. I learned my lesson, the bentos need to be packed tightly.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    oh wow, these owl cups and bowls are so cute!

I decided today to get more serious about planning my food, so here's today's bentos

- chicken stirfry with boiled broccoli, some leftover pea & potato stew and a few olives for lunch
    - half an apple and a piece of spanakopita for snack

The pic is from this morning when I packed them, but when I got to work they were a mess. I learned my lesson, the bentos need to be packed tightly.

Yeah, I learnt that the hard way a few times as well. I'm not sure how big your boxes are to suggest a smaller one (if that's your normal lunch 'volume' at least), but if you want to pack things tighter, cherry tomatoes and snow peas are my go-to suggestion. For fruit, strawberries actually travel quite well after they've been cut as fillers. Blueberries also make great fruit fillers.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Stop me! I keep ordering more Bento boxes. I'm outta control. . .
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I think we may have reached bento critical mass! I was just thinking, I reeeallllly want those egg shapers. And some cute side boxes for snacks. And maybe a set of travel utensils. And.....

And I just went to the Japanese market and two Korean markets last week!
  • trina1049
    Options
    They're all so damn cute! I bought tiny containers, utensils; I bought everything. I have to stop. I'm obsessed. Somebody talk me off the edge.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    trina1049 wrote: »
    They're all so damn cute! I bought tiny containers, utensils; I bought everything. I have to stop. I'm obsessed. Somebody talk me off the edge.

*speaks from the water*

Come in, it's nice and warm. It's only a short drop. Joinnnn uuuuussssss.........
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    kramrn77 wrote: »
    I think we may have reached bento critical mass! I was just thinking, I reeeallllly want those egg shapers. And some cute side boxes for snacks. And maybe a set of travel utensils. And.....

I bought egg shapers. My husband is strangely not as excited about the future star and heart shaped eggs as I am.

Crazy right?
  • trina1049
    Options
    Here I come; I'm jumping. . . Just one more box won't hurt. So what if my husband divorces me, I'll still have great lunches.
  • shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I just got an Aladdin brand "sandwich" container, but it looks perfect for bento! I 'steal' my bento material from my college's dining hall, and it's the right size to slip into my purse ;D if you live near an Ollie's in the US (I know there's one in Metro Detroit and in Lynchburg, VA) they're only $3 and are great!
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great discussion. I have learned there is such a thing as a Bento Box, and that there is actually a whole culture and practice around its use. It seems I have been missing out on this tidy food beauty practice! :smile:
  • kramrn77
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »

I bought egg shapers. My husband is strangely not as excited about the future star and heart shaped eggs as I am.

Crazy right?
    Yeah- I showed my hubby the pig shaped sauce holder and told him I was going to buy him a manly size bento for when he starts work after his nursing certification test. For some weird reason he didn't squee. Weird.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Heh, my husband is a practical thinker. He knows that if he complains about my bento boxes, he'll never get a packed lunch from me. He likes his onigiri too much ;)
  • satansees
    satansees Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    LizN63 wrote: »
    satansees wrote: »
    I actually like Le Rustique, which is just the default Brie here. Or a Cornish Brie. But I rarely see mini Brie at all (too much crust, not enough mooey goodness) I actually prefer Camberbert though, which is similar but smellier.

Ooh here Le Rustique is a Camembert and I do actually like Camembert better as it lacks that 'edge' I find Brie has.

Oh yeah! Told you I like Camembert hahahah
    (Apparently they do Brie too, I don't know what I eat)
  • mangrothian
    Options
    If anyones significant other is worried about that one extra Bento box, refer them to this:
    91bdufadsr7h.jpg

"Don't worry dear, I'll never turn out like the MFP crazy bento lady!"

I think this is about 85% of my collection (some stuff was in use/dirty/borrowed), and doesn't include my Bento-applicable collection of normal gladware style containers.

I'm sure some people have more, but I thought it would be a good reference :p
  • kramrn77
    Options
    Holy bento boxes, Batman!

Erm. Can I be you when I grow up?
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Holy bento boxes, Batman!

Erm. Can I be you when I grow up?

Sure, I'll let you know when I get there ;)
  • mangrothian
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Friday's Bento! I decided to use as many matching containers as I could. I think I succeeded.
    ae1hq1sk6vrk.jpg
    The lunch portion of the Bento (the two long boxes + 1 onigiri box) is 425cal. A two egg tamagoyaki, roast chicken breast with peri peri salt, japanese pickle, blanched vegetables and a shiso onigiri with an umeboshi in the centre. The total including my breakfast, babybel, fruit and pre-night class snack: 720cal.

For the exact breakdown of what's in my lunches, as normal, the diary is open