turkey burgers good or bad

Options
Who likes turkey burgers not to sure if I should try em they sound gross

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I like ground turkey for casseroles and tacos etc...........but not burgers icky
  • gilramirez14
    gilramirez14 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Humm mayby I should try making tacos with ground turkey
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I love them when they are just ground turkey with no added stuff (as in the manufacturer adding "natural flavorings"). Some have a much higher fat content than others. The lower the fat, the dryer they are and you will need something for moisture on top. They do not taste like beef, but if you pair it with the onion, tomatoes, ketchup or mayo, whatever you like, it can be good.

It is different and I like to cook it with more spice than I would for beef. Try some worcestershire (sp?) sauce on it while cooking maybe.
  • gilramirez14
    Options
    OK thanks I've seen them cook em on the biggest loser show
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    They're pretty good .
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Me. I love Turkey Burgers but not from restaurant. I find them pathetically dry.

I make them @ home. A good Lean Turkey Meat gets dry. My little trick for a moist burger add one egg and/or slight butter.

I make a batch and for variety cut them into small pieces for my lunch salad.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    They are okay. Don't see how it could be "bad". Personally, if my burger isn't ground beef, then it's not a burger to me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • krisalexine
    krisalexine Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    They are okay. Don't see how it could be "bad". Personally, if my burger isn't ground beef, then it's not a burger to me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

^^^ this! and turkey bacon is NOT bacon!! :p

personally, i don't like turkey any other way than roasted on Thanksgiving, but that's just me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Who likes turkey burgers not to sure if I should try em they sound gross

I prefer ground beef. Also note that if the fat quantity is the same, there's really no difference. I find it hilarious that people think ground turkey and what not is so much healthier than ground beef...93% lean is 93% lean...it doesn't matter...but it is hilarious...and a little sad that so many people are afraid of a tasty burger.

I love turkey, but turkey burger...no way...ditto for bacon, that's not bacon.
  • gilramirez14
    Options
    Well true
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I've had good ones and not so good ones. I make chili ones with onions, cilantro, chili powder, cumin, and diced chili peppers and it's really and moist even using the leanest of ground turkey/chicken. That being said, they don't taste like beef burgers at all.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I love them. I use ground turkey any time I need ground meat for a recipe - chilli, meatballs, mini meatloaves, and burgers too. You can mix any ingredients you want to make it taste even better - chopped vegetables, spice, etc.
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My friend adds teriyaki sauce. But just one tablespoon while cooking. It gives it a better flavor.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    yum, turkey bacon on a Turkey burger! :D
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    When I want a burger, I want the taste of the burger ... turkey just doesn't cut it for me. The macros and other nutrients aren't that much better, IMO, so I just eat the beef burger and enjoy.

I do love turkey, i.e. roast turkey or sandwich meat, but not as a substitute for ground beef.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    fak-con

fake+bacon

that's turkey bacon.

My BF had some at a staff meeting once- because it was super thick cut- so he thought he'd try it- and he was CONVINCED it was good.

So he brought a pack to my house one weekend when he went shopping.... turns out. I'm single now.

just kidding.

But I did threaten him and ask where my actual BF was and why the Aliens took him from me.

And then I buried it in the freezer- I should just throw it away- but I hate to waste food.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't like them, but I also don't like lean burgers so there is that.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I buy only fresh (never frozen) ground turkey. I have not even purchased any ground beef in 3 years. A little trick I learned, sauté 1/2 of yellow onion in 1TBSP of EVOO, let it cool and mix with the ground turkey. Season as you prefer and grill. With condiments of your choice very little difference, less calories and better for you. I use ground turkey for everything I used to use ground beef. Turkey burgers prepared this way are way better than the frozen turkey burgers, and you control what goes into the patties.

The only beef I buy now is steak.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    They are almost universally awful compared to their beef, pork or lamb cousins
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    It all depends, but you need to add something for moisture or they are too dry...I generally do a mix of greek yogurt, country dijon and mango chutney to the meat along with some chili powder and garlic. Matter of fine tuning, but it allows them to stay moist.