turkey burgers good or bad

Options

Replies

• AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I love turkey burgers. I mean, I like beef burgers and lamb burgers... I guess you can say we love burgers. We make turkey burgers often because around here we can get lean group turkey cheaper than lean group beef. Beef around here is a redic price sometimes.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    To me they are delicious. I buy the ground turkey and add some salt, pepper, and tarragon, and also add one egg to one pound of turkey meat (helps it not fall apart during cooking) and I mix it very well and form patties which I cook in a large skillet. Then I put some lite mayo combined with mustard on the bread, and some crisp lettuce, tomatoes and onion too if I have them, and put together the sandwich that way. Never had issues with dryness doing this.
  • khloesdad0124
    khloesdad0124 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I love Turkey burgers myself, I rarely eat beef anymore.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I tried the turkey "bacon" and hated it. It was like fried cardboard to me. My husband likes it though. It is fully cooked already in the package, people just cook it further to crisp it... or try to... and he makes sandwiches with it with no further cooking as though it were lunch meat. Blergh, to me that's horrible! But he's the one eating it so whatever lol. He makes some really weirdo food combinations and he keeps saying "oh try this" and I'm like NO thank you, honey. Not any more. I am not tasting that... I can already tell it isn't for me! All for you!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    For juicier burger-like stuff I usually use some fresh bread crumbs soaked in a bit of full fat milk mixed into the meat, and when I grind my meat I grind it with raw onions. If I don't have breadcrumbs I just add a bit of heavy cream. Not sure if these tricks would work with turkey, but they're worth a try.
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey and make my own, I prefer the taste doing it this way. I also swap out beef with turkey in all other meals (chili, meatloaf, etc...).
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I love turkey burgers!
  • roxielu0422
    roxielu0422 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you make them. If you are expecting them to taste like beef, then you will be disappointed. I make Mexican Turkey Burgers and they are awesome. Try the recipe.

Mexican Turkey Burgers

½ cup salsa
    ¼ cup reduced fat cheese, shredded
    3 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1 tsp dried cumin
    ¾ tsp sugar
    1 tsp garlic powder
    ½ tsp dried thyme
    ½ tsp salt
    ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
    1 lb extra lean ground turkey

In large bowl, combine salsa, cheese, chili powder, oregano, cumin, sugar, garlic power, thyme, salt and cayenne. Stir to combine. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into burger patties
    Grill until juices run clear
    Serve on whole wheat buns with LF or FF cheese. Can top with sour cream, guacamole, lettuce and tomato if you desire.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    AlyssaJoJo wrote: »
    I love turkey burgers. I mean, I like beef burgers and lamb burgers... I guess you can say we love burgers. We make turkey burgers often because around here we can get lean group turkey cheaper than lean group beef. Beef around here is a redic price sometimes.

The price is why I opt for ground turkey most of the time too. Turkey is anywhere from 2.50 to 4$ a pound, where even the fattiest ground beef is 6 or 7$ a pound.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the texture!
  • corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I love turkey burgers. I also use ground turkey for italian dishes like lasagna or spaghetti squash with meat sauce, and mexican dishes that call for ground beef. The same seasonings you would use on ground beef work to flavor the turkey and make it delicious :smile:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Who likes turkey burgers not to sure if I should try em they sound gross

I liked the one I had once. I prefer beef but I have no idea if you'll like it or not.

I also can't give you a specific movie recommendations, tell you what fashions you'll like, or tell you if you'd prefer the red pill or the blue pill because I'm not clairvoyant.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

Do you make lamb burgers or do you buy them @ the store? Is this grounded lamb?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    I like ground turkey for casseroles and tacos etc...........but not burgers icky

I'm not sure I'd go as far as "icky", but this generally how I feel as well. I can eat turkey burgers, but I'd rather have beef or venison. IMO if you are looking for an alternative to red meat for a burger, salmon is tastier than chicken or turkey.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    gross = yes

good or bad - no ..
    -
    overall diet is what matters...so if you eat turkey burgers and hit your calorie/micro/macro goal no need to worry ..

I personally prefer some grilled cow with cheese...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

Do you make lamb burgers or do you buy them @ the store? Is this grounded lamb?

Actually the juiciest burgers are a mix of two meats 1:1, either lamb and beef or pork and beef. I usually do lamb and beef and buy the meats in chunks and grind them together at home. Lamb meat tends to be very tender because of its high fat content.
  • beachlover83
    beachlover83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I like turkey burgers and generally substitute ground turkey for ground beef whenever a recipe calls for ground beef. Every now and then I'll "splurge" and use ground beef instead.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ^ how is using ground beef "splurging"???
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Burgers really need to be made with a fatty-ish meat. Which pretty much means beef.

That said, a good tasting burger can still be made with turkey, venison or bison if a little extra fat is added back in somehow. But a straight-turkey patty (or venison or bison) tends to dry out way too fast.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I LOVE turkey burgers! I make them at home and combine ground turkey, garlic powder, a little feta cheese, some herbs and a little grapeseed oil for moisture. Mix it all together, let it hang out in the fridge for a bit, and form into patties and grill.

If turkey isn't for you but you're looking for leaner a leaner burger, you can use lean beef, lamb, salmon or bison. Bison burgers are delicious!