McDonalds

Options
Pretty much everywhere I look someone is eating McDonalds. Especially at work! LOL
At least 1-2x a week someone is offering some fries, apple pie etc. My resolution is to have a McDonalds free 2015. Has anyone also tried to do this? If so how are you going about it?

I have been saying no thank you, or if they insist I take it and give it to someone else. I work at a school so there is always someone that wants a snack.

Replies

• beachlover83
    beachlover83 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Have some other healthy snacks around that you can snack on instead. I rarely eat McDonalds now, and find it to not taste nearly as good or really keep me full for long, probably because it's so processed. Find another food you really look forward to eating that's healthy to not tempt you as much. I know it's tough when everyone keeps giving you free food!!
  • freesiasun5
    freesiasun5 Posts: 3,122 Member
    Options
    Nobody has ever tried to give me free McDonald's. I need a new job.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I still eat McDonald's on occasion. I just got smarter about what I was getting. Before I go- I look at my calories and macros I have left for the day then look online at the nutritional menu and pick something that will fit in my goals.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I don't love McDonald's, but I don't hate it enough to cut it out. I just work it into my calories when the time comes to be lazy and not cook anything.
  • loganboo2
    loganboo2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I went through the drive through and got my husband two double cheeseburgers and cheese sticks. I didn't get anything for myself. At home he left the cheese sticks on the counter and I ate one. After fiding out it didn't taste nearly as good as I thought, it made me never want to eat it again! I beat myself up about it but I said "hey it was only a cheese stick and not 2 burgers, fries, and a soda!" After that I just don't crave it anymore! Lesson learned! From having no sugar and limited carbs my taste buds have changed dramatically! Just keep healthy stuff ready and in reach!
  • melorastar
    melorastar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There came a time when I was eating a McDonalds wrap every week and was still losing a steady 1-2 pounds a week! It's just important to remember to size down the portions and choose a healthier alternative that they offer, as a standard normal meal from McDonalds with chips can amount to 1000+ calories, as i've learned. But logging everything in has definitely been helping when I do eat it.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Every year is McDonald's free, for me.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The problem is that none of us got fat by scarfing down McDonald's healthier alternatives. I've cut it out for that very reason. I don't crave their wrap. It's mediocre but will work in a pinch if I didn't make my lunch. I crave a double quarter pounder with cheese and you HAVE to have fries with that. Therefore, I prefer to cut it out entirely.
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I just had Mc Donalds for lunch only I chose to have the Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad w/ Newmans Low Fat Balsamic Vingarette Dressing Total Cal 355
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Love a Mc Double occasionally! Just work it into my calories!
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I realized as I was driving home from the gym last night that I hadn't been to McDonald's since December. I used to go there a couple times a week, if not every day. I do love their spicy McChicken when they're fresh; but most of the time they've been sitting under the heat lamps for too long, so I'm not really missing much. Planning out what I eat and making sure I don't go too long without grocery shopping is how I avoid it. I'd usually have to go out of my way to stop there between work and home. So it's not like I drive by and look longingly at the building.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can still eat there (food allergies) are the fries and side salads. Which are boring. So I haven't had MdDonalds in a couple years and don't miss it at all!
  • sirabbadon
    sirabbadon Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    McDonalds is one of my goto meals on the go. I get two double cheeseburgers, remove the buns from one, and the top from the other and stack up the meat and cheese on a single bun base. It's a low-carb, protein packed, fat-filled, satiating meal ringing in at 640 calories. But I understand the desire to give up McDonalds. When I was doing raw calorie restriction, I never ate there, as I just ended up hungry a few hours later, even if I downed 1500 calories. I wish you well in your endeavor.
  • prasadsurve
    prasadsurve Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Calorie wise McDonald burger seems to be fine. Just don't order Fries and Large Coke with it. Personally I just don't eat at McDonald cause it don't like its taste.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    I still eat McDonald's on occasion. I just got smarter about what I was getting. Before I go- I look at my calories and macros I have left for the day then look online at the nutritional menu and pick something that will fit in my goals.

This is me. I don't eat McDonald's often, but once in a while, it sure hits the spot. My typical go-to menu items are either a grilled chicken southwest salad or a happy meal. I don't demonize any food and honestly, McDonald's is easier to fit into my macros than many other fast food places.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    if I'm at work or out of the house for more than one meal, fast food is still an option for me, but I only ever get a regular single cheeseburger and small fries at McDonalds. nothing bigger. No drink. About 500 calories. Nothing wrong with that for a meal. But I'm trying to cut out the drive-through, and make myself get out of the car and go inside to order. If I want it that much, I should be willing not be entirely lazy about it! But yeah, it's starting to taste not so fresh compared with the fruits and veggies in the rest of my day. It's a once-a-week thing at the moment. I think there's a time and place for fast food if you're smart about it. I always pre-log and make sure it fits my day. If it doesn't fit, I don't have it. I rarely prepare meat, but I'm not a vegetarian, so the burger protein is useful.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Stay away from the larger burgers, the fries and coke and you'll be fine. A grilled chicken snack wrap is under 300 calories. That is usually my goto order. The best thing on the menu, however, is the egg mcmuffin and it is only 300 calories. Breakfast only of course.

The bad news about McD's is that everything there is loaded with salt. Don't weigh yourself the next day after eating there. You'll be holding onto extra water weight.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    loganboo2 wrote: »
    I went through the drive through and got my husband two double cheeseburgers and cheese sticks. I didn't get anything for myself. At home he left the cheese sticks on the counter and I ate one. After fiding out it didn't taste nearly as good as I thought, it made me never want to eat it again! I beat myself up about it but I said "hey it was only a cheese stick and not 2 burgers, fries, and a soda!" After that I just don't crave it anymore! Lesson learned! From having no sugar and limited carbs my taste buds have changed dramatically! Just keep healthy stuff ready and in reach!

Cheese sticks?! At McDonald's?! I need to move.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    loganboo2 wrote: »

Cheese sticks?! At McDonald's?! I need to move.

This was my thought too.
  • NicoleS9
    NicoleS9 Posts: 62 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I used to think the burgers were good, but I they taste super greasy and gross to me now. We picked some up last July and I thought I was going to be ill after eating it-disgusting. Plus, after the whole "pink slime" story broke, they lost the appeal.
    My husband lost 20 pounds and got back to a Healthy weight by giving up fast food burgers. He is six foot two inches and went from 190 to 170 by quitting his Mcdouble habit. 20 lbs!!!! He orders the veggie burger from Burger King every once in awhile when he's on the road.
    Confession: I do love the salads minus the chicken. They are $1 less without it.

Can't say I wouldn't be tempted by some fries, though!!!!!