Any girls here into powerlifting/Weightlifting?

Options
124»

Replies

• Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    MmmDrop wrote: »
    Back squat - 250lbs
    Front squat - 170lbs.
    Deadlift 265lbs.
    Overhead press - 100lbs
    Bench - 100lbs.

Working on that upper body. My other pr's used to be a bit higher, but I took 2 months off to travel and decimated my strength. lol

I started lifting heavy with a trainer (MARSOC recruiter, a friend of my hubby's) 4 days a week the first 4-5 months. I'm on my own now, and lift 5-6 days a week.

How are your overhead press and bench the same?

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    Its possible to read a book, but the benefits of a trainer are way more than just being trained. To make a power lifting workout effective you have to push limits, which means having spotters. Also my trainer judges my working weights based on my effort level, which i couldn't do on my own. She'll adjust my weight to keep me in the right zone for the specific workout we're doing. That's stuff you can't get out of a book, or from friends or regular fitness trainers at the gym.

I've got to agree with this. My programmer and my coach are invaluable and amazing. I'm expected to be able to get through most training sessions by myself but can get a quality spot anytime I need it, and sometimes by surprise. Having teammates to laugh and sometimes cry with is a massive bonus
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Check out the "Eat, Train, Progress" group. There is good info there.
  • samanthapugliese
    Options
    navyjen wrote: »
    I want to be but.... I need someone to teach me and I just don't want to go up to some big dude and the gym and be like hey will you help me out?? So, as I get more adventurous at the gym I am trying new things.

• samanthapugliese
    Options
    I learned a ton from taking pump classes at my local gym
  • KickboxDiva
    KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    tigerblue wrote: »
    Check out the "Eat, Train, Progress" group. There is good info there.
    Where is this? Hi guys- I've been working w a trainer for about a year. I've been lifting heavy for about the last 6 months. I've dropped 40 lbs and went from 43% to 18% body fat. (Pinch) I've eliminated my intake calorie deficit recently so I'm a little anxious about that. Trying out the "eat to perform" approach. So we'll see where that gets me. I'm hoping it will help with strength and recovery. I got turned onto lifting years ago but didn't realize the 10lb weights weren't really helping me. I'm excited to see muscle definition and hope it means I can more easily maintain a steady weight instead of the never ending cardio cycle.

• TheAshpie
    TheAshpie Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'll be restarting stronglifts 5x5 when I get my gym membership back! I'm currently doing keto so I'll be in ketosis so it'll be tough on my lifts, but my main focus is weight loss right now so that's okay!
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    MmmDrop wrote: »
    Back squat - 250lbs
    Front squat - 170lbs.
    Deadlift 265lbs.
    Overhead press - 100lbs
    Bench - 100lbs.

Working on that upper body. My other pr's used to be a bit higher, but I took 2 months off to travel and decimated my strength. lol

I started lifting heavy with a trainer (MARSOC recruiter, a friend of my hubby's) 4 days a week the first 4-5 months. I'm on my own now, and lift 5-6 days a week.

How are your overhead press and bench the same?

Started with the same weight, have been doing the same progression and never tested a true 1RM?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I don't compete but I'm a powerlifter- as in - yes- I train- and I run intermediate/advanced type programming.

Love it- just wish I was better at it LOL

Id' like to compete at some point- but right now it's just an unnecessary expense. I pay to pick things up at my gym- I don't need to pay for someone to tell me I did it well or not. But I'd like to ;)[/b]I

That's the part that defines a powerlifter. Running intermediate or advanced programs isn't. That being said, I can't recommend competing enough. You learn a lot about yourself that way.

I guess that means you have to run a 5, 10, half or full marathon to be considered a runner too?

• smalltown_princess
    smalltown_princess Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't really do powerlifts as much as I do Olympic lifts. For. They are just more dynamic an work more of your body, even if they are harder to execute with proper form
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Op there's a lot of women lifters on here now and there is also a Stronglifts womens group.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Some of the women have moved on to other programs now so there's a pretty good mix f women lifters. I'm on week 3 of Stronglifts myself and loving it. We just ordered a power rack that should be in next week.
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I love lifting. <3

DL - 265 1RM
    Squat - 2 @‌ 225
    Bench - 145 1RM

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I am! Been competing in powerlifting since the end of 2013, lifting for a while before that. You've got some great numbers there, jealous of your squat! :D I'm at 100kg 1RM (but still not quite at 85 for even 1 set of 5!) for 5x5 it's around 75-77ish, and that's in a longer time frame of experience.

Deadlift max is 130kg, bench max is 62.5kg.

There are plenty of heavy lifters here, male and female. Just got to find them. I'd also recommend the fb group "Belle of the bar" I first found out about it through here, it's for female strength athletes (not just for those competing). Loads of support, information, and really knowledgeable ladies on there.