Sometimes moderation just isn't even worth it..

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I've been craving a brownie. I had to do some groceries today so I picked Wegmans, as they have a good bakery section, and went and checked the brownies... and I just left empty handed. It's just ridiculous... Two tiny one maybe two bite brownies = 220 calories. A pan of brownie (which was what... 3x10?)... 10 SERVINGS of 170 calories.

Just forget it. I'm all for moderation but it's not even worth it when a serving big enough to actually satisfy me would be 500+ calories (which I could maybe fit in that one week a month when I'm not constantly hungry, and this is not it).

I'm kinda sad now though... This 'healthy eating' thing just sucks at times.

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Yes. Yes, it does kind of suck at times. Perhaps there's something that would satisfy that brownie craving without as many calories. A few squares of good dark chocolate, perhaps.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Yeah right! Who wants 4 chicken wings?
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Ha! I was at the grocery store earlier today, and staring at the cupcakes I thought, "This is why I wish I didn't care about getting fat."

In the annals of calorie:satisfaction ratios, brownies are among the most depressing.

ETA: Also cake frosting. Two frelling tablespoons? That covers what, like one bite of cake? I would pay serious money for a genuinely low-calorie frosting that tastes like frosting and won't kill me in my sleep.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Yes. Yes, it does kind of suck at times. Perhaps there's something that would satisfy that brownie craving without as many calories. A few squares of good dark chocolate, perhaps.

This ^^^^
    a really good dark chocolate square is so satisfying.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    dawnna76 wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote: »

This ^^^^
    a really good dark chocolate square is so satisfying.

Not when you want a fudgy gooey brownie.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've had similar experiences and have come to realize that my version of moderation isn't what people mean when they say "enjoy the foods you like, but in moderation." Apparently moderation isn't 5 servings. Who knew?
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    Yeah right! Who wants 4 chicken wings?

and/or no beer

• TinaGA2015
    TinaGA2015 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Looking at that stuff just hurts my feelings! My son's birthday is Saturday and all I can think about it avoiding a big slice of cake and the boys eating Pizza...ugh.
  • Francl27
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I've had similar experiences and have come to realize that my version of moderation isn't what people mean when they say "enjoy the foods you like, but in moderation." Apparently moderation isn't 5 servings. Who knew?

Haha I know...

I did have a chocolate yogurt and a square of chocolate but it's not the same thing...
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    A co-worker brought in homemade carrot cake cupcakes today with real cream cheese frosting. I had one for breakfast. I'm trying to decide if I can justify another one for a mid-afternoon snack and if I reallllly need to eat dinner tonight.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    :hugs: It's unfortunate that the moderation doesn't work for you. I have found that especially if I am choosing to have only a small amount of something, it helps to make a big deal out of having it. In my perfect world (which doesn't really happen, but I would love for it to), I sit down with a favorite beverage with what I do have on a special dessert plate, and take small bites, slowly savoring the flavor and texture.

More often, I just eat the indulgence slowly, without giving any of my attention to anything else.

I also practice enjoying healthy eating by making notes when dessert is a bowl of berries or piece of fruit, that healthy eating *doesn't* suck when a <100 calorie dessert is 3/4 cup of raspberries w/ 2T 1/2&1/2.

What does suck for me is foods that aren't worth the calorie hit.

Also, if you really want the brownie, the world (or your weight loss goals) won't end if you go over by <500 calories on any given day.

The most challenging way to approach weight loss, in terms of long term success, is to hate the process.
  • EllieTheLondoner
    EllieTheLondoner Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Am relieved to hear that I'm not the only one who struggles to conform to the parameters of "normal moderation"!

I think if you need a brownie hit, and the craving doesn't go away, "plan to cheat". Then when you've gorged, move on! Like Emma said above, the most challenging way to lose weight is if you hate the process. OR try to find a recipe to make your own at a fraction of the calories using smart substitutes, I always feel I'm "cheating" when I find a way to save a load of calories and still enjoy!
  • Francl27
    Options
    Well I've had brownies, to be fair, but they never had a calorie count, and I always used a random MFP entry which was probably way under what the calories actually were...
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me happy, because moderation makes me sad, and misery loves company!
  • reachingforarainbow
    Options
    I agree... sometimes you gotta go homemade. I tried something that I really like. Its not a brownie, but I'm sure you could adjust the recipe to make it heavier in consistency.

1/2 container of flavored greek yogurt (45 calories for the amount I used and about 50 g of yogurt)
    1 tbsp chocolate whey protein powder (30 cals)
    1 tbsp chocolate hemp protein powder (30 cals)
    1/2 tbsp of flour (15 cals)
    1/2 tbsp of cocoa (10 cals)
    a bit of baking powder

Mix together and heat in microwave for 1 minutes (130 calories is not to bad if you ask me)

• Francl27
    Options
    Well I've tried a bunch of mug cakes or lower calorie substitutions and it just doesn't cut it, lol.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    There is also a recipe for vegan black bean brownies. They make a sort of adequate substitute, but I'm not sure they're any lighter on the calories. (My roommate wanted flourless chocolate brownies).

I don't do vegan cooking, so I used eggs instead of the flax seeds, but I think this is the recipe I started with.

Google "Black Bean Brownies" and you will find several recipes.

http://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-gluten-free-black-bean-brownies/

Whole Foods also have a vegan (I think), gluten free brownie bite. My roommate loves those. Again, I'm not sure about the calorie hit, because I don't eat them.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    moderation ≠ splurges

i try and eat certain things in moderation, and then some stuff i know i can't and therefore splurge. for instance, when i make it out to the bar for trivia night, i know i'm gonna have two beers... i can't just have one. and some kind of junk bar food like bacon ranch fries. so i splurge. i log it, but i'm definitely splurging.
  • HugeBum
    HugeBum Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree- all the people on here who are like "fit the food you love into your goals" if you're happy to eat a sliver of pizza and a teaspoon of ice cream, well done, but I find it hard to work in a reasonable amount to satisfy, given how unfilling these foods generally are. I find it easier to avoid them altogether because I am just not a person who does anything by halfs.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm all for moderation but it's not even worth it when a serving big enough to actually satisfy me would be 500+ calories

My favorite way to really, properly enjoy a small portion of an indulgent food is this:

Wait until you are alone: No kids, no husband, no beggars, moochers or critics allowed. Turn of the tv and computer (music is acceptable). No distractions. Take small bites (or sips), smell the chocolatey goodness, explore every nuance of flavor, have a sip of water between tastes (this helps clear your palate so that you can enjoy each bite as much as the first one). Savor the experience.

When I take the time to do that, even the smallest piece of cake can be more than enough.