Good morning fellow geek girls!

Options

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    G'morning ya'll! Fellow geeky chick from the south. While I don't play video games...I do LARP, play Magic, and read to my little hearts content.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I'm 26 and from the North of England. I was a WoW addict for several years (I actually met my boyfriend through WoW and used to podcast on it until very recently on an all-girl gamer panel), enjoy other computer games (playing Diablo 2 at the moment, and hoping to start playing Starcraft II again when I get a bit more free time / courage!) and love fantasy movies and shows (I'm a massive fan of Buffy/Angel and Supernatural and Game of Thrones is brilliant so far). My boyfriend has also been getting me into anime (Naruto, Gurren Lagann and Elfen Lied are my favourites so far). I also really love the Star Wars movies (well, apart from Episode I) and can't wait for SW: TOR!
    I also enjoy reading (especially 18th Century Gothic and Victorian literature, and graphic novels) and have a degree in English Language and Literature from the nerdiest place you can think of XD That all being said, I've been sadly neglecting some of my geekier activities recently in favour of what used to be my biggest fear - EXERCISE! I'd also like to start larping and cosplaying when I get a bit smaller :) I want to be Lulu from FFX for hallowe'en!

Feel free to add me, fellow geek ladies!
  • simone74
    simone74 Posts: 13
    Options
    *pauses briefly from her Rift workout*

Yeah! We played RIFT up until about a month ago. I liked it very much, probably more than WoW or any other MMO we had played recently.

Also I just wanted to say that this thread is truly fantastic!! It's good to know I am with like company in my weight loss. Women and men alike, I wish I knew you all years ago!
  • pinkstapler
    pinkstapler Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I know! I'm so excited :happy: I can use video games as a reward now right, since I can't use cake anymore? :wink:

Edit: Oh dear I tried to reply to your message but that didn't work, you have to press the quote button not the reply button right? That's what I get for not (ever) reading the mannual!
  • simone74
    Options
    Man... this thread should have its own group. Just sayin'.

Here's a question... How do you embrace your inner geek (or outer geek, if that's how you roll)?

I'm having some difficulties with my husband lately. We've cut video games out of our lives at least for now. BUT... we need to find something else to occupy our time. Keep in mind, we have 3 kids (all school age) so going out is out. We're tight on cash, we'd like to save as much as we can. Just an activity that he and I can do together. If you're not a gamer, what do you do? Do you have a partner, what do you like to do together?
  • EpicEmmyy
    EpicEmmyy Posts: 9
    Options
    YAY for geeky girls :D Another one to join the group ;) I'm new and a huge geek n_n
    I love technology, video games, books, learning. Everything. :P
    I study BTEC Creative Media where I want to do writing, graphic design or both ;)
    I love reading books and manga, I love drawing manga too so I'd love to create a manga series one day so I can combine my love for writing and manga together :D I also want to be in the video game industry somehow maybe as a designer, writer or concert artist :) I currently play League of Legends, although I'm not that great at it (although people brag about my Ashe ult =3).

So yeah, hi all! :D
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Ooh, just remembered I've got an episode of Walking Dead I've recorded but not watched yet!
  • simone74
    Options
    I love Walking Dead. Mainly it's because it's zombies (and I love zombie culture) and it's based in Atlanta (where I live).

Can't wait for season 2!
  • dhammond5
    dhammond5 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to get in to the steampunk stuff.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm a geek too! My hobbies are jigsaw puzzles and reading any kind of book I can get my hands on...and I work at a computer all day lol...feel free to add me, I need to lose another 36lbs in 15 months...
  • dhammond5
    Options
    Geek girl here as well. I read SF & Fantasy, lots of stuff by Patricia Briggs, play WoW, and run a D&D game. I like anime and read some manga, and was on the con committee for the 2008 Worldcon. Welcome! Feel free to add me if you like.
    I read patirica Briggs too, and have meet her, she is such a nice lady.
  • princessctb
    Options
    I'm a geek girl too, with lots to lose. I may have to make it a reward to "game" cause I already spend all day at a desk in front of a computer and another couple of hours really kills my activity level. Feel free to add me! I need some tips on how geekgirls get active!!
  • dhammond5
    Options

Here's a question... How do you embrace your inner geek (or outer geek, if that's how you roll)?

I'm having some difficulties with my husband lately. We've cut video games out of our lives at least for now. BUT... we need to find something else to occupy our time. Keep in mind, we have 3 kids (all school age) so going out is out. We're tight on cash, we'd like to save as much as we can. Just an activity that he and I can do together. If you're not a gamer, what do you do? Do you have a partner, what do you like to do together?
    I have three kids too. I find that since it is getting warmer that just going outside with them helps.
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have set myself days that I have to exercise however much WoW, TV or book is calling me
  • simone74
    Options

I have three kids too. I find that since it is getting warmer that just going outside with them helps.

Oh I meant in the evenings when the kids are in bed. And I meant activities you do with your spouse or significant other.
  • dhammond5
    Options

Oh I meant in the evenings when the kids are in bed. And I meant activities you do with your spouse or significant other.
    My husband works nights, so I normally take out the ball and work out while I watch primetime. I have been thinking about getting zumba for the Wii. My husband found it, because I was thinking about getting the videos.
  • kattermole
    kattermole Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I'm a major geeky girl, I've played WoW since it came out and I play other stuff too like CoD, various X Box games. I love fantasy novels too. Luckily my bf is an even bigger geek than me :) Look forward to getting to know some of you!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

I embrace my geek in several ways. I'm a single mom so it's a bit difficult. I don't game but I read a lot! I go have a few book clubs that I go to and I try to go to DragonCon and ComicCon Atlanta every year. I also have several shirts that are uber geek related. Several from BBT and I love shopping on Thinkgeek.com and on etsy.com. I would suggest starting a book club that meets monthly at each others houses and have it also be a possible dinner club. Everyone brings a dish inspired by the novel and just sit and chat about it. You could do the same with gaming...finding a group of local gamers and meet up once in a while for some actual face to face chat.
  • NoranaC
    NoranaC Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Geek alert!
    My dog is named after a Star Wars character. I read sci-fi and fantasy, play the occasional RPG (both pen and paper and electronic varieties), and create 8-bit inspired arts and crafts, and am looking for some new friends.

If there are any geek girls in Brooklyn, I'm looking for an exercise buddy that I can actually have interesting conversations with...
  • mamadragon
    mamadragon Posts: 110
    Options
    Alright another gamer!!!! reading 3 books here.... sick huh? LOL.....
    Welcome to MFP ... I joined a few days ago ...... it's been great :)